How to get Commitment

4 hours ago, Michifus350 said:

~6 hours seems to jive with my earlier theory that you would need around 7 to account of the difference between PDT and UTC. When you try for the PS4 version, set your system timer to 4:55 pm PT and let it idle. I'd be willing to bet you'd get it in 24 hours without issue or extra time needed.

Yes, I'll do that and let you know. I'm not sure when I will get to it, though. 

has anybody tried getting the trophy using a timezone outside of the us?

I never quite got the whole thing with am, pm and the different time zones on each coast.

So, I would like to use my own european-timezone for commitment.

reading this thread it sounds as if you have to use either pdt or utc, to get the 24h to count.

has anybody experiences with that?

"Play The Stanley Parable for the entire duration of a Tuesday."

A normal tuesday has a duration of 24 hours. I think this trophy means that you just have to play the game for 24 hours (not in one session and it does not matter on which day). By changing the system time you maybe break the ingame timer, so the trophy will take longer than just playing the game or let it run for 24h.

EDIT: I now bought the game and played it a while. The game is asking you to enter the current time at the beginning. If the game would know what day it is, why should it ask for the current time? ^^ of course this could be a part of the game to trick you

Edited by SiebenDX

My experience seems to confirm these theories:

1. The trophy requires that you play during Tuesday BST, not your time zone.
  2. Your progress is cumulative.
  3. It doesn't require that you play during each discrete moment of a Tuesday, just a certain amount of time on a Tuesday (I think it's actually 23hrs, not 24).

I did the trophy without altering the date/time on my system. I'm in Mountain Daylight Time, -7 hours from BST. I started at around 11:30pm on Monday and kept the game on until around 12:30am on Wednesday. No trophy. The next Monday (today), I started at around 5:15pm my time (12:15am BST - I was a little late!) I left the game on all evening, and the trophy popped at 10:31pm my time, almost exactly an hour before the time I started playing last week.

It's a bit of a bummer my trophy for playing "the entire duration of a Tuesday" is timestamped on a Monday, but at least I got it! Man, the trophies in this game are as absurd as the rest of it is. I love it so much xD

19 hours ago, remy5623 said:

1. The trophy requires that you play during Tuesday BST, not your time zone.

Interesting. My trophy popped at the exactly the same time I put it on 24 hours beforehand in my own timezone. Like, I didn't change the timezone at all, just the time itself.

I set the time on my PS5 to 11:57pm on Monday the 16th my own time, while it was Monday 9:12pm for me and the trophy popped at 9:12pm Tuesday.

Edited by Haalyle

On 5/6/2022 at 3:56 AM, Michifus350 said:

~6 hours seems to jive with my earlier theory that you would need around 7 to account of the difference between PDT and UTC. When you try for the PS4 version, set your system timer to 4:55 pm PT and let it idle. I'd be willing to bet you'd get it in 24 hours without issue or extra time needed.

Just as an update, I finally did the PS4 version and you were totally right. I set the console clock to 4:50 pm PT on a Monday (when it was actually around noon PT in real life) and then waited 24 hours and it popped no problem. Thanks a ton for your help.

Edited by Chaos_Bladez

15 hours ago, Chaos_Bladez said:

Just as an update, I finally did the PS4 version and you were totally right. I set the console clock to 4:50 pm PT on a Monday (when it was actually around noon PT in real life) and then waited 24 hours and it popped no problem. Thanks a ton for your help.

Glad to hear you finally got it! Also happy to have some additional evidence to support the 24 hours on a Tuesday (UTC) idea. Hopefully that will help any other folks who might be stuck or confused with this trophy in the future.

I created an account here today just for this mother fkn trophy lol....its the last one i need to platinum this.

First ill say that whoever thought this trophy was a good idea should be kneed in the nuts repeatedly.

So i've followed the advice here and i am TRYING to get this by doing the following:

-Disabling Internet on PS5

-Manually setting day/time to a Monday at 11:55pm

-Starting the game, selecting to begin

-Pausing game

-Walk away leaving game on pause

All is great for about an hour or so BUT......the PS5 for some reason keeps going back out to the PS5 menu by itself.   Why is it doing this?????  Is there a setting someplace i have to change?  

Edited by MScavulli

This unlocked for me without issue.

Definitely nothing to do with timezones - as I'm in the UK - nowhere near any US timezones.

All I did was:

• Monday night - loaded game, hit begin at 11:55pm.
  • Left the game with Stanley staring at his monitor (not paused,) with controller on, in it's charging cradle.
  • Tuesday night, 10pm, began playing game normally.
  • At midnight, Commitment unlocked just fine

I think if folks are having issues, it's probably because they are messing with the system clock - I reckon it's best to just do it on a real Tuesday, rather than trying to make a Tuesday - there's one every week, y'all don't have to wait all that long :dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MScavulli said:

All is great for about an hour or so BUT......the PS5 for some reason keeps going back out to the PS5 menu by itself.   Why is it doing this?????  Is there a setting someplace i have to change?  

Nevermind lol, i figured out what was happening here with this, on accident, but i figured it out.

Like i had mentioned i set the clock back manually to Monday 5/16 11:55PM, disabled the internet on PS5 and then launched the game.  The issue is because i disabled the internet.   I happened to be checking on the game around 45 min into starting it and leaving it on pause, and i was, the PS5 did a notification in the upper right saying "Unable to verify license, suspending game in 15 minutes", or something to that effect.   In essence because i wasn't connected to the internet, the PS5 wasnt able to verify that i owned the digital game legitimately i guess.   So that was why it kicked me out to the PS5 menu, it couldnt verify the license.  So the answer for me then is next Monday eve close to midnight ill do this normally and im guessing Tues eve i'll get the trophy.

What i don't understand though, is how all of you that did the manual clock setting thing and turned off your internet were still able to do it that way.   I would think all PS5's wouldve ran into the same thing i did using that method.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:28 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Definitely nothing to do with timezones - as I'm in the UK - nowhere near any US timezones.

Except that the time zone theory is that the 23-24 hours needing to be played on a Tuesday appears to be UTC time. For people in continental North America that can range from a start time of 4pm if you're in Alaska to 9:30pm if you're in Newfoundland. Being in the UK you're on UTC most of the time and only an hour off of it in the summer. If it's only 23 hours that's needed that could account for the hour difference. Or we could all still be wrong and don't have the nuance of it down yet. 

1 minute ago, StanceStrife said:

Except that the time zone theory is that the 23-24 hours needing to be played on a Tuesday appears to be UTC time. For people in continental North America that can range from a start time of 4pm if you're in Alaska to 9:30pm if you're in Newfoundland. Being in the UK you're on UTC most of the time and only an hour off of it in the summer. If it's only 23 hours that's needed that could account for the hour difference. Or we could all still be wrong and don't have the nuance of it down yet. 

Is UTC GMT then?

I wasn't aware of UTC - I assumed it was one of the American Time Zones - I didn't realise UTC meant GMT

On 19.5.2022 at 8:43 PM, MScavulli said:

What i don't understand though, is how all of you that did the manual clock setting thing and turned off your internet were still able to do it that way.   I would think all PS5's wouldve ran into the same thing i did using that method.

That happened because you did not set your PS5 as "main console" for your PSN account. If you do so, you can play all content offline without any issues.

Has somebody tested if it's possible to start the game on monday in the evening - then wait until tuesday morning and put the console to rest mode until the end of tuesday? People say that it works with quick resume on xbox, so it possibly could work on PS4/5 too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I'm not new to PSNP, but this is first time commenting on anything. So here's what I want to know. How does the game not know what time it is wherever you are but knows what day it is? Seems like there has to be an even easier method to this than what's been discussed thus far. I was quite surprised nobody else has asked this very obvious "wait, what" lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Z__is_for_Zander said:

Hi everyone. I'm not new to PSNP, but this is first time commenting on anything. So here's what I want to know. How does the game not know what time it is wherever you are but knows what day it is? Seems like there has to be an even easier method to this than what's been discussed thus far. I was quite surprised nobody else has asked this very obvious "wait, what" lol

You mean because it asks you to input the time when you load?

That's not because it doesn't know - it's part of a joke that plays out over several different startups. 

10 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You mean because it asks you to input the time when you load?

That's not because it doesn't know - it's part of a joke that plays out over several different startups. 

Ok, let me word it differently. You're turning off internet access to set a date and time relative to the requirements for the trophy. But the internet is off, sooo, how does it know it's a Tuesday? Lol.. see what I'm getting at? Unless my brain has just sharted and I'm missing something. In which case, please be gentle with your next response lol

20 minutes ago, Z__is_for_Zander said:

Ok, let me word it differently. You're turning off internet access to set a date and time relative to the requirements for the trophy. But the internet is off, sooo, how does it know it's a Tuesday? Lol.. see what I'm getting at? Unless my brain has just sharted and I'm missing something. In which case, please be gentle with your next response lol

The console has an internal clock powered by a battery. The internet connection is not required at all to know which date or time it is, just to reset the internal clock from time to time. Every application/game can query this clock via a system API.

EDIT: Give this a read if you want to learn more about this topic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_time 

EDIT2: A while ago some people discovered a potential issue with playing games and earning trophies when the internal clock power supply stopped. They named it "CBOMB" and it was resolved by Sony via firmware updates: https://in.ign.com/playstation-5-playstation-5/157655/feature/ps5-games-cbomb-sony-preservation-ps4-vita-ps3

Edited by proud2bNs
Added links for further reading

23 minutes ago, proud2bNs said:

The console has an internal clock powered by a battery. The internet connection is not required at all to know which date or time it is, just to reset the internal clock from time to time. Every application/game can query this clock via a system API.

EDIT: Give this a read if you want to learn more about this topic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_time 

EDIT2: A while ago some people discovered a potential issue with playing games and earning trophies when the internal clock power supply stopped. They named it "CBOMB" and it was resolved by Sony via firmware updates: https://in.ign.com/playstation-5-playstation-5/157655/feature/ps5-games-cbomb-sony-preservation-ps4-vita-ps3

Yeah I know about the internal battery for keeping date and time. But if you're not connected to the internet it has to go by what you set as the actual date and time. What I was getting at, overall, is that there should be a way to "time machine" it so you don't have to leave anything on for a lengthy period. But I forgot that the game has a timer as well. If there was a way to trip up the game's timer you could "time machine" it, right? I haven't had a ton of experience with games that have these kinds of time related trophies. 

12 minutes ago, Z__is_for_Zander said:

Yeah I know about the internal battery for keeping date and time. But if you're not connected to the internet it has to go by what you set as the actual date and time. What I was getting at, overall, is that there should be a way to "time machine" it so you don't have to leave anything on for a lengthy period. But I forgot that the game has a timer as well. If there was a way to trip up the game's timer you could "time machine" it, right? I haven't had a ton of experience with games that have these kinds of time related trophies. 

There's not really a way to cheat the game, if it uses an internal counter unless someone finds an exploit, because they didn't implement it well. But I highly doubt there's gonna be an exploit and you are probably much faster by just letting your console run for 24 hours instead of waiting for a potential exploit that might never happen.

I’m in uk. Playing on ps5. I got this over several days, I just reset my ps5 clock to any Tuesday in the past prior to each time I booted it up and turned off the setting for automatic time update via internet. I never turned internet off or disconnected LAN cable from ps5. Game was on pause screen for the majority of the 24 hrs and controllers disconnected of their own accord.

i think the only important part is to change the clock setting before booting up the game, not changing it whilst in the game already. You do have to change the date to a Tuesday in the past.

popped no problem. Hope everybody else gets it sorted.

• Like 1

FYI for everyone, I got this trophy today with no fancy tricks. I’m in EDT time zone. Turned the game on around 11:45pm Monday and left it running all day. The trophy popped at 11:55pm on Tuesday. Mostly left it idle just standing in Stanley’s office. Though did actually play for maybe an hour and a half total, including going back to menu a few times and playing through the epilogue.

so I feel like it was probably just glitched for some people on here, or maybe they’ve patched it at some point. But it seems to work exactly as described now (at least for me).

• 11 months later...

Can confirm the trophy still pops if you launch the game on multiple Tuesdays at different hours each Tuesday so long as it all ends up adding up to (roughly) 24 hours. I even had it paused for many of those hours so don't worry about leaving it running in-game, pausing won't void it.

I made sure to have the game open at every possible point of a Tuesday (e.g. if I played it from 11:55pm Monday to 2am Tuesday, the next Tuesday I wouldn't need to play it from 11:55pm to 2am but rather any time AFTER 2am) over the course of three Tuesdays, today being the final one.

Strangely enough, based on my calculations and notes (I went full nerd with this one), the trophy popped after 23 hours and 25 minutes of cumulative Tuesday time! Now I can go for a nap 35 minutes earlier!

• 6 months later...

I just had the weirdest experience with this trophy. I set the system date/clock to next tuesday yesterday. The trophy and platinum popped, then i reset the date and reconnected to wifi. And the trophy and platinum disappeared… Anyone else had this happen to them? I guess I’m going to do it legitimately tomorrow.

EDIT: it appears the trophies didnt sync yet, the plat is back

Edited by Mathieumatic