New PS Premium Trophy Support Topic

Camokidd87

So i think we all know now that the new Playstation plus premium will feature alot. Its going to let us play ps1 ps2 ps3 and psp games on ps5. Itll then be possible to play any game from playstations entire history on one console (even though the initial selection will be limited). Im pretty sure its all going to be digital ports though. If it was full backwards compatible and it allowed you to put any disk in the ps5 i wouldnt be asking this because the games would be played in their original physical form but since its going to be digital ports and hand selected games do you think theres a possibility of any trophy support? I guess if not itd still be cool and nostalgic to play all the games some of us grew up with conveniently on a ps5 but itd be cooler to replay them with some type of trophy support. Especially the ones that never had remakes or newer versions made like they did with spyro, crash bandicoot and ninja gaiden ect. What do you guys think? A possibilty? Would you play an outdated looking ps1 game again like ridge racer or gran turismo 1 or cool boarders ect if it brought along the trophies? 

Edited by Camokidd87

I'd rather plat 'outdated' Resident Evil 3 than this fancy graphics bullshit remake with cut out content. As for rpgs i'd take Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Vagrant Story, Grandia, Skies of Arcadia, Xenosaga, Valkyrie Profile 2 over Niers, Cold Steels, Ateliers and KHs any time of the week, but beggars can't be choosers. If Sony won't care the only way to play oldies with trophy/achievements support is by playing them via an emulator. 

Edited by PIOTREK27-1982
  • Like 4

Fairly sure they won’t have trophies added unless they’re drip feeding these releases as 2-6 titles a month.

I suspect it’s going to be just be a simple case of ROMs dumped in emulation wrappers on mass as Sony rarely give me what I want.

I mean I’d trade the immediate closure of Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, Sucker Punch and Bend for just Ridge Racer Type 4 with trophy support but it’ll never happen.

Edited by Tsundokuist
  • Like 1

I think it's 50/50 really, I can see them not adding trophy support because like people jave said, who's gonna go and recode games from 20+ years ago when some of those companies don't exist anymore. However, I'm cautiously optimistic and really hoping they do, what with the previous patents for trophy support as well as the new game preservation team. 

If they don't have trophy support, I'll be happy if they include games I never played that interests me, like tomba for example. However if they do include trophy support then I'll be screaming for them to add 

Legend of legaia

Jade cocoon

Digimon world ps1 ps2 and psp games

Monster rancher series

And many many others!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ChiefMichigan said:

PlayStation Patents the Ability to Add Trophies to Older, Emulated Games - IGN

It's just a patent for now, and tons of patents never get used. But it's an indication that Sony is considering the possibility of a streamlined technology to quickly add trophy lists to classic games. I would say it's way more than a 1% chance. 

Thatd be cool if they decided to use that for this!

• Like 1

I really hope they add trophies for older titles, and more importantly, I hope they distinguish them with their legacy console. For example, I would want to see a PSOne, PS2, PSP tag where you would normally see PS3, PS4, PS5, etc. I would actively try to get every PSOne platinum if it was the case.

Bottomline, if they won't add trophies, there's not much reason to purchase the highest tier. I have a PS1 emulator on my phone, no need to pay extra for it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PETMAN3000 said:

I was about to bring up RetroAchievements. It's a strong case against the notion of adding achievements to older games being difficult or requiring recoding. The wrapper itself has all the achievement flags tagged in, most of the sets are done by one or two people in their spare time. I'd imagine Sony could do as much with all their resources, particularly so if it's costs negative effort for positive gain.....for an unknown value of both positive and negative.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Camokidd87 said:

Itll then be possible to play any game from playstations entire history on one console (even though the initial selection will be limited).

There is literally no evidence that this is true. Do not spread false or unconfirmed information. Tge idea of being able to play any title at all from these generations is completely unfounded due to licensing, dead studios, copyright disputes, etc.