Why can't I renew my ps plus membership?

godzillafan92

4 minutes ago, godzillafan92 said:

It won't let me renew my membership at all. I have tried everything but nothing seems to work but why? 

How do I fix it or do I just wait until my membership expires to renew it or what? 

Please help!

You need to purchase another membership and apply it to your account. 

You haven’t given any explanation of what you tried that didn’t work, nor said if you have reached out to Sony support to see if they have offered you any support. 

Doesn’t look like they specifically targets stacking (at least according to a Sony support response), but any code redeeming according to the linked IGN article:

On this case right now you will be unable to add those codes to the account since we have disabled the option to redeem PS Plus codes.”

Seems to be a rather clumsy way of dealing with whatever changes they’re implementing, but that’s par for the course for Sony. 

• Like 2

Same thing here in Brazil, you can't stack but you can 

32 minutes ago, godzillafan92 said:

It won't let me renew my membership at all. I have tried everything but nothing seems to work but why? 

How do I fix it or do I just wait until my membership expires to renew it or what? 

Please help!

You gonna need to wait until the new plus launches or you subscription finishes. Sony had cancelled the stack of PS PLUS/NOW probably because of people stacking PS NOW before the launch of the PS Plus Premium. So you can try to sell the card or hold the card until your PSN PLUS expires but the card is working fine and can be used in account that don't have any PS Plus.

PlayStation Plus FAQs have been updated:

"If you currently have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now membership, due to changes we are making to the service prior to launch, you won’t be able to redeem a voucher code for that service until your existing membership expires and deactivates, or after the new PlayStation Plus service launches in your area, whichever happens first. Rest assured that your voucher code is still valid."

Sauce

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

imagine blocking ppl's access to a subscription that has already been paid for

this is true capitalist scum behavior

They’re not blocking the ability to extend the sub through pre-paid cards etc. you just can’t stack multiple cards at the moment. There is a huge difference. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, that_dude_cam_ps said:

They’re not blocking the ability to extend the sub through pre-paid cards etc. you just can’t stack multiple cards at the moment. There is a huge difference. 

Except they currently are. The only way a code works is if you don't have PS+. (Looks like, I have PS+ so I can't verify) My sub is about to expire, and I can't add the code until it expires, because trying to extend it (before it expires) is....stacking. 

Edited by Floorkiller74
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, that_dude_cam_ps said:

they accepted your money for multiple cards didn't they?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Doesn’t look like they specifically targets stacking (at least according to a Sony support response), but any code redeeming according to the linked IGN article:

On this case right now you will be unable to add those codes to the account since we have disabled the option to redeem PS Plus codes.”

Seems to be a rather clumsy way of dealing with whatever changes they’re implementing, but that’s par for the course for Sony. 

Really unnecessary for Sony to be doing this, especially since comparisons will be drawn against Microsoft. There couldn't have been that many people trying to take advantage for them to do all this.

10 minutes ago, Not_Too_Sweet said:

There couldn't have been that many people trying to take advantage for them to do all this.

You really underestimate people. 

Regardless of being able to compare to another company, there isn’t any legitimate excuse for handling things this way. As I said two posts up, if Sony just hadn’t announced anything until they were ready to switch things over at the time they made their announcement, none of this would have happened. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Mine expires January 1, 2024. As long as it comes back before that, it's fine.

Mine also expires sometime in 2024, so I'm not personally affected by this, but I do hope stacking does indeed become a thing again after the relaunch. I haven't paid full price for PS+ for years because I always end up stacking a 12 month membership on whenever it's on sale, usually around black Friday. It'll definitely sting if I'm forced to pay full price from now on, especially when I have zero interest in the new "tiers" and want to just stick with "Essential".

Real poor handling on this from Sony, just silently blocking the ability to stack and only speaking up about it a few days after people first reported having issues, and even then, it's not like they've gone out of their way to make this info blatantly obvious. I imagine there's still people confused as to why they can't stack their membership, especially as many online retailers like Amazon are still selling PS+ codes (thankfully some retailers have temporarily pulled them, like ShopTo).

Given how Sony have handled other issues, I'm sadly not surprised by how this situation has turned out. I'm fully expecting there to be issues when the new PS+ launches as well. I don't want to have to expect problems from a company, and shouldn't have to, but given the track record...

If you’re an active PS Plus and PS Now member, you’ll be transitioned to PS Plus Premium for the remainder of your longest active subscription

My ps+ expires in December 2023

So for $10 (my current monthly ps now sub), I automatically get premium plus for another 18 months with the changeover in June? 

Edited by MonaSaxPayne

On 4/29/2022 at 6:48 PM, Floorkiller74 said:

Except they currently are. The only way a code works is if you don't have PS+. (Looks like, I have PS+ so I can't verify) My sub is about to expire, and I can't add the code until it expires, because trying to extend it (before it expires) is....stacking. 

You literally just confirmed what I said. You can extend your sub at the end of the current period with the card you bought.

On 4/29/2022 at 7:11 PM, MonaSaxPayne said:

they accepted your money for multiple cards didn't they?

„They“ being retailers, yes, and the cards are still valid for use in the future. They’re not expiring or invalid. They’re just not allowed to be used to abuse the system. I know that seems to irk you, but it’s still not „corporate scum behavior“. Unless you are actively trying to scam your way into a five year premium sub what does it matter. And if you are, then you deserve what’s happening to you :)

I'm not sure I understand the logic around redeeming PS Plus cards. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as a current PS Plus subscriber (but NOT PS NOW), I will move to the PS Plus Essential (the entry level tier) come June? I just don't understand why I can't stack a decade of Plus cards if I wanted to, since the new price is the same as the old price and I'm not getting anything else?

I can understand them closing the PS NOW loophole, but why Plus?

1 hour ago, that_dude_cam_ps said:

You literally just confirmed what I said. You can extend your sub at the end of the current period with the card you bought.

„They“ being retailers, yes, and the cards are still valid for use in the future. They’re not expiring or invalid. They’re just not allowed to be used to abuse the system. I know that seems to irk you, but it’s still not „corporate scum behavior“. Unless you are actively trying to scam your way into a five year premium sub what does it matter. And if you are, then you deserve what’s happening to you :)

I didn't say you were entirely wrong, You can't extend your sub anymore, you have to let it expire before you can re-sub.. I've never let my sub run out in 12 or so years, now I have to before I can re-sub. Reports are some things are lost if you let your sub lapse....though I can't verify because I've never let that happen.  Hopefully that's not true. 

Edited by Floorkiller74

1 hour ago, that_dude_cam_ps said:

not sure if you’re being deliberately obtuse, but Sony would have any been paid for those cards

retailers don’t operate on consignment. They pay up front and resell for a mark up

the point is, as long as WHOEVER is selling something, the reasonable expectation is that good or service be useable immediately 

u wouldn’t buy food from Taco Bell today if they told u that u can’t eat it til Cinco de Mayo  would u?