Why can't I renew my ps plus membership?

godzillafan92

58 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I'm not sure I understand the logic around redeeming PS Plus cards. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as a current PS Plus subscriber (but NOT PS NOW), I will move to the PS Plus Essential (the entry level tier) come June? I just don't understand why I can't stack a decade of Plus cards if I wanted to, since the new price is the same as the old price and I'm not getting anything else?

I can understand them closing the PS NOW loophole, but why Plus?

Because PlayStation engineers do everything ham-fisted. Why is this even a thing in the first place? Because they didn't plan and execute properly to begin with.

You think they've already implemented a clumsy solution to their self-imposed problem, they're going to take the time to refine it to narrowly apply it to only a smaller subset? Not a chance. If they were going to do that, they might as well implement the function when redeeming a code to show how it will convert if it's going to or extend if that's all it's going to do.

1 minute ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

not sure if you’re being deliberately obtuse, but Sony would have any been paid for those cards

retailers don’t operate on consignment. They pay up front and resell for a mark up

A lot/most of the membership/game code cards are fronted to stores at no cost to the stores and paid when their Point of Sale system registers a code has been sold. It was a bit of a sneaky way to trick retailers concerned with goods converting to digital distribution and cutting them out that they will still be part of future transactions to still make some money.

Having paid for a code that is unable to be redeemed, even temporarily, is absurd though. This whole situation is ridiculous.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2022 at 8:14 PM, Floorkiller74 said:

I didn't say you were entirely wrong, You can't extend your sub anymore, you have to let it expire before you can re-sub.. I've never let my sub run out in 12 or so years, now I have to before I can re-sub. Reports are some things are lost if you let your sub lapse....though I can't verify because I've never let that happen.  Hopefully that's not true. 

I’m not aware of anything happening to any of your previous purchases, downloads, cloud saves etc. I wouldn’t worry about it.

On 5/3/2022 at 8:20 PM, MonaSaxPayne said:

not sure if you’re being deliberately obtuse, but Sony would have any been paid for those cards

retailers don’t operate on consignment. They pay up front and resell for a mark up

the point is, as long as WHOEVER is selling something, the reasonable expectation is that good or service be useable immediately 

u wouldn’t buy food from Taco Bell today if they told u that u can’t eat it til Cinco de Mayo  would u?

Not deliberately…. :)
I understand how retailers work. I’m saying Sony can’t stop retailers from selling the cards, if they need to “press pause” on their service subscriptions.

in your analogy, no I would not, because it may be rotten two days later lol. But seriously, it’s literally not a big deal. You can still use the cards the second your sub expires and can continue stacking when the roll out the service in a couple weeks. You’re literally not losing any money or missing out on anything at all

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Pupik-Kaci26 said:

I just tried to extend my PS+ sub via ps store. When you try add to cart it says you already own this item. What the hell like ?? My subscription expires on 02 of June. So what then am screwed until 22nd lol ? 

That’s a recent change, seemingly to counter stacking of Plus/Now subs. You should be able to buy a new sub of PS+ from the PSN store as soon as your current membership expires by/around 2nd of June. Taken directly from Sony: 

L12Hvko.jpg

Check out the new FAQ surrounding the ongoing changes to Plus here on PlayStation.com (it’s towards the far bottom of the page). 

Edited by Fenrirfeather
typos, typos