Trophies for Mental Health II

1 hour ago, Sylvanticore said:

Wait really? That's awesome! I was just looking through what games I have on my account and I saw that and thought I wonder if that could be done but wasn't sure. I just got done doing Celeste for my mental health game (posted already earlier today) and now I know that I'll get started right away :)

Newspaper is also a source of mass media. :) Not sure if the remake has it, but the original had newpapers covering your story for each area. Worth looking into regardless.

• Like 1

I just platinumed Immortals Fenyx Rising on the PS5. I accidentally took a bit longer because for some reason, I thought I had to collect all the armor and weapons.

This will be spoiler heavy..

Spoiler

While I'm sure we all know the various Greek mythologies, Immortals Fenyx Rising does a good job at humanizing the Greek gods featured in it, giving them various reasons as to why they behaved the way they do. The heart of all the problems is of course Zeus, whom, as the story progresses, comes to accept the fact that he was a terrible father and person. Towards the end, he's lost the will to live and accepts Prometheus' prophecy that Fenyx will kill him. Fenyx  doesn't want to do that and instead tries to convince him to improve on himself, since she's spent all her time helping the other gods get over the various psychological problems Zeus had caused. In the end, while the day is saved and destruction and death is averted, Zeus admits he has to work at becoming a better father, with Fenyx helping.

That's just the main story, but each god featured in the main story (Ares, Aphrodite, Athena, and Hephaistos) all have sub-stories dealing with the emotional damage Zeus caused during their lives and how Fenyx needs to help them overcome it. Each one has been changed into another form by the villain Typhon, and the four of them really don't want to change back since it means they have to confront the pain their father caused them. I think the one that stood out the most to me was Hephaistos, who said he preferred being a robot so he wouldn't have to feel any pain.

Fenyx had a bit of a self-confidence problem, starting out the game wondering why she was spared being turned to stone when others were more worthy. She keeps doubting herself and thinking she'll never be able to really help, until she's told by the gods she's definitely hero material.

• Like 3

Finished my first game Ikenfell. 47.93% rarity at this time which would be worth $3.04.

I'll keep this short and spoiler free in case people want to play the game (good indie game that honesty is a bit underplayed in my opinion, surprised trophy hunters aren't jumping on this one since there is literally an auto-victory button if you only care for trophies). While there are a few characters that exhibit mental health, I'm going to focus on a character named Pertisia. She clearly exhibited a form of PTSD in Ikenfell. She had a traumatic before the game happens that will be reveal in the game, but you can tell there are issues earlier than that point. This includes feelings of anger when she was with the other characters, avoidance on certain subject matters, and anxiety when confronting the environment that cause the PTSD. At one point in the game the group is in this environment and Pertisia literally stops moving and has to be carried out by the main character to leave the environment. She was frozen in fear of what is about to confront her and bad memories at the time came back to her to make her just stop.

This ultimately does get revealed to the group and Pertisia does overcome her PTSD. This is done through dialogue and ultimately confronting the environment again with her friends.

Edit: Have talked to Grave and got the ok for my second game which will be Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Remastered since some of the loading screens has TV/newspaper information. Should increase my contribution to more than 3.50 assuming I finish before month end.

Edited by Starrk_01
2nd game named
  • Like 3

Concrete Genie is my first game for the event this year.

Pleasantly surprised by it too. First off what a great little exclusive it was. I love the big Uncharted's, God of War and Horizon games but we need more of these little gems. I was mostly surprised by how relatable it is and how much I thought back while playing it. The days of coming back from school to escape with hobbies and the way, at times at least, they felt more real and comfortable than real life. The idea and metaphors behind the darkness and the idea that it represents depression and / or loneliness slowly covering everything (at least that's what I got from it) had my interest peaked and wished they went into that more or gave a little more in regards to what it could be a metaphor to.

Also, I quite enjoyed the way the game shows you what was going on with the bullies themselves. They each had their own issue and demons that played a part in making them act how they acted. Don't really get that chance in the real world. You get bullied. Leave school and that's that. It would be nice to know if there was anything going on that wasn't known to make them act that way but sometimes real life doesn't work like that, but it made me happy for Ash as wasn't lonely anymore, which I felt played a part in him being so down, which I felt was why he had such an attachment to his art work and the genies, that gave his respite from that feeling. Then by the end of the game there's the fact he wasn't suffering from loneliness anymore because of the thing he used to escape reality for a little while.

Apologises for the very poor piece, I hope it's enough. It's been a few days since I got the platinum and  I've struggled to understand what I got from this (even though I really enjoyed it) as it bought back some of stuff personally.

• Like 3

So after completing Celeste for the first part of this event I decided I was going to do Destroy All Humans for the second part, that didn't happen because my brain is like a blast from a shotgun in video games and scattered, so remembering one of the choices that was put up for this part of the event I went with the first Borderlands game.

L58d209.png

As was stated the second part of this event was for: #TogetherforMentalHealth which is supposed be for encouraging others and to spread the word via social media, TV, internet, etc. So for this year, to earn this badge, you must play a game that prominently uses social media, radio, TV, or the internet in the game.

In Borderlands you are a vault hunter and you have of course come to look for, you guessed it, a vault, but how did you find out about the vault, through television or radio in the Borderlands universe? it's unclear, but what is clear is that during the events of Borderlands you are always contacted through the ECHOnet, which as the Borderlands Wiki states: The ECHOnet is a system of communication across the greater plain of Pandora. It is mainly wireless, requiring only a personal HUD unit, provided to new arrivals by the Dahl Corporation. Thanks to this ECHOnet your characters deeds are known well throughout the planet of Pandora, people hear about you and ask for your assistance and even the villians of the game use it to taunt you as you progress.

In closing I'm happy to have taken part in this event, hopefully this will count for it and thanks for doing this event @Beyondthegrave07

Mental health is something that a lot of people I know suffer from, some days are a lot tougher than others and even when you think you have control of the situation there is always that feeling in the back of your mind, you can have a good day only for something to hit you like Brick hits bandits with his ability and you're in a horrible place for a long time.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sylvanticore said:

So after completing Celeste for the first part of this event I decided I was going to do Destroy All Humans for the second part, that didn't happen because my brain is like a blast from a shotgun in video games and scattered, so remembering one of the choices that was put up for this part of the event I went with the first Borderlands game.

L58d209.png

As was stated the second part of this event was for: #TogetherforMentalHealth which is supposed be for encouraging others and to spread the word via social media, TV, internet, etc. So for this year, to earn this badge, you must play a game that prominently uses social media, radio, TV, or the internet in the game.

In Borderlands you are a vault hunter and you have of course come to look for, you guessed it, a vault, but how did you find out about the vault, through television or radio in the Borderlands universe? it's unclear, but what is clear is that during the events of Borderlands you are always contacted through the ECHOnet, which as the Borderlands Wiki states: The ECHOnet is a system of communication across the greater plain of Pandora. It is mainly wireless, requiring only a personal HUD unit, provided to new arrivals by the Dahl Corporation. Thanks to this ECHOnet your characters deeds are known well throughout the planet of Pandora, people hear about you and ask for your assistance and even the villians of the game use it to taunt you as you progress.

In closing I'm happy to have taken part in this event, hopefully this will count for it and thanks for doing this event @Beyondthegrave07

Mental health is something that a lot of people I know suffer from, some days are a lot tougher than others and even when you think you have control of the situation there is always that feeling in the back of your mind, you can have a good day only for something to hit you like Brick hits bandits with his ability and you're in a horrible place for a long time.

It counts! Definitely! I'll update the OP later after work!

• Like 1

I finely finished my entry for this, although it didn't hit me in almost any way... but that's likely because I'm still to tired and my work is a mess, making me less empathetic than usual...

Anyway, the funny thing is that this time I'm entering with Detroit: Become Human, making it a repeat with the Robots with emotions theme from last year game (Nier Automata) too...

Now, since I have to write something about this... let's see...

I think that I will just touch the Hank problem in the story, since 1 of the possible outcomes is positive, and even the worst outcome has "positive" indications along the way, only the resolution isn't positive.. but I guess that's better that I put stuff into a spoiler tag for the game..

Well, for context, Hank is an old Cop that is known for hating Androids, and he gets assigned to all Android related cases, as well as gets an Android partner (Conner).

Now, Hank's hate towards androids is where his psychological struggle resides.

Hank lost his son, because his son had a bad accident and ended up dying in the operation room when being submitted to a surgery performed by an Android. And the loss of his son essentially eats him away all the time, to a drunken suicidal tendency.

Eventually, Hank opens to Conner and tells him that he doesn't blame the Android for his son's death, but actually the human that was to high on drugs to be ableto perform the surgery..

Hank also looks like he starts to develop some liking towards Conner and other Androids, starting to react shocked or displeased when Conner dies or when Conner decides to kill some Adroids.

While the good option just results in "Case closed" and the bad option in "Hank's suicide", I decidedto bring him as my text because of how he evolves during the game, always struggling with his past and with Conner, and at the same time being able to get to terms with his hate towards Androids (even on the bad option, since along the way to the bad option, Hank always gets distressed each time Conner does the Automated action instead of the moral one as well as when Conner dies).

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
  • Like 4

I'm hoping it isn't too late to sign up! I've been meaning to join since the start of May, but then ironically (sadly) something awful reared its ugly head, and I had to actually take care of my own mental health for a little bit. 

I absolutely kicked myself last year for not having the confidence at the time to join in with this event. I even dedicated a load of reviews in the month of May last year in my checklist thread, for games I thought specifically tackled mental health, something I might do for the remainder of this month too actually. I instantly regretted not joining in though, because reading so many open and honest experiences and stories from people was so refreshing! These are all things we should be talking about, and I'm really happy this event offers a safe space to do so.

I really am gutted that I didn't take part last year - and so this year I'd like to actually get my backside in gear and get involved. We've still got 8 days left in May, and I can hopefully crank out two games that fit the bill in that time. 

I'm not quite certain about a bonus game yet, but I think Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is the one I'm going to default too regarding mental health itself. It's one a friend recommended to me last year, as did a few others before that, so it looks like now is the time!

Sorry to be a pain with the late sign up Grave!

• Like 4

About a week left before May ends. Not doing half bad, but hope everyone pushes to at least get their first badge.

I finally found a game that I wanted to play for the second badge, but unfortunately, I'm going to run out of time (no way I can beat DMC 3 times before the end of the month), but it's the thought that counts. ?

• Like 2

On 30/04/2022 at 5:10 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

However, games that use mental health issues as satire (Psychonauts) or is portrayed in a negative light/don't actually tackle the issues themselves (Joker from Batman Arkham games or Dead by Daylight) will not count.

I don't believe I only read this part, was playing Psychonauts exactly for this event *facepalm*

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the game so much, it's a shame I'm only playing this now, totally recommend the game

Now I'll have to look for another game on my backlog that tackles mental health or mental illness. Let's see if I'm still on schedule for it and the bonus badge.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MattbluePT said:

I don't believe I only read this part, was playing Psychonauts exactly for this event *facepalm*

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the game so much, it's a shame I'm only playing this now, totally recommend the game

Now I'll have to look for another game on my backlog that tackles mental health or mental illness. Let's see if I'm still on schedule for it and the bonus badge.

If it's any help - while I would agree with @Beyondthegrave07 about the original Psychonauts being ineligable due to using Mental Health elements as pure satire and for laughs...

... I don't know his take on it, but I would strongly argue that is not the case with Psychonauts 2.

If you were planning on rolling onto the (excellent) sequel, I would argue it manages to take a much, much more considerate and interesting look at legitimate mental health concerns on a multitude of fronts, and actually treat them in a way that is pretty progressive, respectful, and well handled - even while still being a very funny game overall.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If it's any help - while I would agree with @Beyondthegrave07 about the original Psychonauts being ineligable due to using Mental Health elements as pure satire and for laughs...

... I don't know his take on it, but I would strongly argue that is not the case with Psychonauts 2.

If you were planning on rolling onto the (excellent) sequel, I would argue it manages to take a much, much more considerate and interesting look at legitimate mental health concerns on a multitude of fronts, and actually treat them in a way that is pretty progressive, respectful, and well handled - even while still being a very funny game overall.

Will certainly play the sequel later, for sure!

I'm considering going with The Walking Dead: The Final Season, if Clementine remains the same, I probably could refer PTSD, Survivor's guilt, depression. Would appreciate if anyone agreed I could go with it, as the only game I'm seeing now on my backlog that I can finish on time instead of this would be Flower or SOMA

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MattbluePT said:

Will certainly play the sequel later, for sure!

I'm considering going with The Walking Dead: The Final Season, if Clementine remains the same, I probably could refer PTSD, Survivor's guilt, depression. Would appreciate if anyone agreed I could go with it, as the only game I'm seeing now on my backlog that I can finish on time instead of this would be Flower or SOMA

Flower might be a stretch, as there are no humans even hinted at, so it would need to be more of a "the emotional relationship the Player has with the game" kind of deal... but on the other two, I think there's definite meat there. (Haven't actually played the final season of The Walking Dead, but given all the previous games in the series, it'd be astounding if it failed to address some issues of mental health along the way, as that's been the bread and butter of the series up to that point!) 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Flower might be a stretch, as there are no humans even hinted at, so it would need to be more of a "the emotional relationship the Player has with the game" kind of deal... but on the other two, I think there's definite meat there. (Haven't actually played the final season of The Walking Dead, but given all the previous games in the series, it'd be astounding if it failed to address some issues of mental health along the way, as that's been the bread and butter of the series up to that point!) 

Flower does count as it's helpful for mental wellness. You just have to explain how it does it (relaxing nature with simple controls, sounds, music, etc).

Just now, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Flower does count as it's helpful for mental wellness. You just have to explain how it does it (relaxing nature with simple controls, sounds, music, etc).

Ah, fair point - sorry, not trying to step on toes! ?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Yeah, that was the approach I was thinking of with Flower. I'll have to decide yet, but I'll probably go with The Walking Dead: The Final Season.

Thanks for the help @DrBloodmoney@Beyondthegrave07

• Like 3