Trophies for Mental Health II

Bonus game done. Went for finishing Life is Strange on PS3. It uses various ways of spreading messages. Texts, social media, the Life is Strange version of YouTube. That being said, not all the messages were nice!

P.S. Still one of my favourite games I’ve played!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

@Beyondthegrave07 Hey dude, noticed the list has been updated, but not my bonus badge entry - did I mess up the remit, or is that just oversight?

Oversight, my apologies! I have a bit to update still it seems (looks like I just missed a cluster of updates). I've been pretty busy with work this month so I haven't be online here as much. I plan to get it ironed out this weekend.

If anyone else notices something, please point it out to me.

• Like 2

Sorry for relatively late entry, I only spotted this campayne today, fortunately I have happened to achieve games that could apply.

Main game: A Sketchbook About her Sun (EU) (PS4) - 99.16%

L38e480.png

Spoiler

A quick review to description of the game, it's a music album that lets you pick between words to create a poem about the characters feels and mental state while songs from the album play. 

Even without the poems, from the songs, music videos, and even the title of the game, you can infer that the protagonist is got depression and the story is about her low mental levels and what she does to help herself.

What I've learnt from this game is how depression is handled in different people, a family member I knew handled things by becoming more insular, but this story details how she copes by seemingly moving away and distancing herself from the memories of pain, it's not exactly uncommonly known coping mechanism , but I should have been more aware of people outside of my bubble needing to have different ways of handling their mental health.

Bonus Game: Road 96 (PS5) - 55.48% ($2.89)

Lad40b4.png

Spoiler

Posting this aware that Road 96 has been mentioned by @DrBloodmoney previously.

Road 96 is a narrative, resource management, roguelike, and I love it, sorry this game is one of my newest favourite games and I don't wanna gush like a unpaid salesman.

The media is an aspect of the game that is more of a symptom of the anti-fascist message, with television news being partially funded by the government party of the leader, (Tyrak,) there is an unspoken incentive to speak positively of Tyrak and his actions, due to the fear of funding being pulled. Not that the news network seems to want to away, Sonya (the mouth piece of the network,) states that the current regime is treating her well and sees little reason to change.

There is a chapter all about being a cameraman for Zoe's father's speech (forgot his name) and you decide the audience reactions to what he says, employing a quite literal fake news into the world, whether you follow your orders or not. Another aspect to this chapter is the presence of protestors who as the cameraman, you can choose to ignore, even as they get beaten by security, showing that what isn't shown is as important as whatever is shown.

Of course how you act in this chapter affects the beliefs of the people, making people self interested, democratic, or anarchists. But this one event isn't enough to tip the scales by itself, it's the culmination of everything people do and how they act all the time, inside and outside of the media bubble.

I'm not sure if I've done this right, so if I need to do anything more let me know.

And @Beyondthegrave07 It's so cool to see someone organise such a cool thing

• Like 4

1 hour ago, breakingthegreen said:

Sorry for relatively late entry, I only spotted this campayne today, fortunately I have happened to achieve games that could apply.

Main game: A Sketchbook About her Sun (EU) (PS4) - 99.16%

L38e480.png

Reveal hidden contents

A quick review to description of the game, it's a music album that lets you pick between words to create a poem about the characters feels and mental state while songs from the album play. 

Even without the poems, from the songs, music videos, and even the title of the game, you can infer that the protagonist is got depression and the story is about her low mental levels and what she does to help herself.

What I've learnt from this game is how depression is handled in different people, a family member I knew handled things by becoming more insular, but this story details how she copes by seemingly moving away and distancing herself from the memories of pain, it's not exactly uncommonly known coping mechanism , but I should have been more aware of people outside of my bubble needing to have different ways of handling their mental health.

Bonus Game: Road 96 (PS5) - 55.48% ($2.89)

Lad40b4.png

Reveal hidden contents

Posting this aware that Road 96 has been mentioned by @DrBloodmoney previously.

Road 96 is a narrative, resource management, roguelike, and I love it, sorry this game is one of my newest favourite games and I don't wanna gush like a unpaid salesman.

The media is an aspect of the game that is more of a symptom of the anti-fascist message, with television news being partially funded by the government party of the leader, (Tyrak,) there is an unspoken incentive to speak positively of Tyrak and his actions, due to the fear of funding being pulled. Not that the news network seems to want to away, Sonya (the mouth piece of the network,) states that the current regime is treating her well and sees little reason to change.

There is a chapter all about being a cameraman for Zoe's father's speech (forgot his name) and you decide the audience reactions to what he says, employing a quite literal fake news into the world, whether you follow your orders or not. Another aspect to this chapter is the presence of protestors who as the cameraman, you can choose to ignore, even as they get beaten by security, showing that what isn't shown is as important as whatever is shown.

Of course how you act in this chapter affects the beliefs of the people, making people self interested, democratic, or anarchists. But this one event isn't enough to tip the scales by itself, it's the culmination of everything people do and how they act all the time, inside and outside of the media bubble.

I'm not sure if I've done this right, so if I need to do anything more let me know.

And @Beyondthegrave07 It's so cool to see someone organise such a cool thing

Typically, I like when members join the event before submitting games just so they think about it while playing, but it's fine as long as the member took time to reflect on the game and it's mental health aspects they played after signing up, and I think you nailed that part so I'll count it!

I also just gave you the same amount as DrBloodmoney for Road 96 since the rarity changed slightly, but I'm rounding up anyways so 2 cents won't make much of a difference.

• Like 1

For the bonus, I'd like to put forward Control!

I don't think this is overly spoilery, but for caution's sake, have a spoiler tag anyway ?

Spoiler

In particular reference to media, there are a lot of well-documented events (collectible case files, audio recordings, and radio segments) that have happened in the world which you discover throughout the game, and the Federal Bureau of Control does a lot to keep public awareness of such events to a minimum. Some could see that as media censorship, others as protecting the world from mass-panic due to there being many things that people don't understand. Either way, I feel like that fits the theme well.

For the radios around the place, they are sometimes just playing music, but they also often explain some of the strange phenomena that are happening in the form of a podcast / radio show segment, which is a really organic way to shed light on weird and wonderful things.

There's also a TV in the game which essentially brainwashes enemies. Whenever the light from the TV shines on them, they sit happily and watch it. Addiction to media (social or otherwise) is a really real problem which I believe that is trying to highlight.

And finally, one of the big parts of the game is a telephone (called The Hotline). Social media before it was smartphones, websites, apps, and forums. I have huuuge telephone anxiety (which just now I learned is also called telephobia!) so I'm super glad that those days are (mostly) behind us.

Anyway, that's that. Hopefully I've explained things well enough, and if it doesn't fit the theme, well, then that's okay.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GuitaristZag said:

@Beyondthegrave07 Question- if I platinumed a game this month after playing it for several months, and playing the game helped me personally cope with mental illness, even if the game itself isnt too concerned with it, is that sufficent? I am willing to explain and justify if approved.

If it's well-explained, I'll accept it.

Also, the OP should be updated fully. If I missed your post on accident, please point it out to me. I also found a second wind this memorial day weekend and am gunning and stabbing my way through DMC in hopes to finish it in the next couple of days. That'll get me a bonus badge and increase the donation amount a little.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
OP is updated
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I decided to post everything all at once for this event and now that I'm pretty much done, here we go! For this event, I finished two games - Soma & Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I was actually meant to finish Night in the Woods, but made the mistake of trying to play it after I was done with Hellblade. This was a bad idea because while Hellblade was a fantastic experience imo, it was also one of the most emotionally draining experiences I've ever had. It completely knocked the mojo out of me. So sadly, Night in the Woods has fallen off for this. I'll likely add it if another event crops up later though.

As a note - I have Soma in spoiler tags because I talk about key parts of the game. Hellblade has none because I'm actually not going to be spoiling it for anyone bar mentioning one of the key themes.

Soma

Reveal hidden contents

There was a great deal of interpretation in this game, which I thought was great.

From a character point of view, I thought this game tackled quite a few interesting themes. He spent quite a bit of time thinking he was human, when he was in fact a human consciousness grafted haphazardly into a mix of robotics and human body parts. Over the first half of the game, a large part of his journey involved him having to come to terms with himself and his identity. At one point even his sense of individuality and fear of that getting lost or diluted came into question when he has to copy himself into another, less broken body, leaving an identical version of himself behind.

It made me think of how we perceive ourselves and how we are perceived by others. How we act and think of our identity is rarely the same as how other people view us. Up until the point where the copying process begins, he generally feels that he is human, when he lifts his hands up, we/he sees human hands. All of this slowly changes as his perspective shifts. But there is a point where you actually assemble your new body out of a suit, some gore and some technology and you realise he has just been this broken person walking around and somehow managing to move around. But to anyone looking on the outside, all they saw was an intact being. It's something that really stuck with me. We never really know what is going on behind the scenes in other people. Some may seem perfectly intact on the exterior, but they might be struggling inside.

The gameplay is all overlayed with this prevailing sense of physical trauma, tapping into the time period prior to him waking up on a decaying underwater facility - he was in a car accident resulting in a severe and terminal brain injury. This is something which shows in pretty much every encounter he has with other 'people' in the game. Almost all of them are broken and helpless, some are shattered, others are bent and twisted. Pretty much every act of trying to help them results in them shutting down and arguably dying. If you were to subscribe to the idea that all of these events aren't necessarily real and potentially taking place inside the head of the character, this would correlate with his accident and brain damage.

Hellblade

This game....this game. I don't think i've ever felt so emotionally spent after playing a videogame before. I threw on a headset as apparently it's best played in this way and I was completely blown away, but it also drained all of the energy out of my tank. I think a huge part of this game taps into the effects of severe PTSD but the studio managed to weave it expertly into areas of mythology and fantasy. So while on the very surface, it looks like an adventure, it's actually a warrior navigating the debilitating effects of a series of traumatic events in her life and the behavioural trauma it has inflicted. The game isn't entirely about PTSD, but it is definitely a dominant theme across the whole game.

I actually don't really want to talk about the events of the game here, because it's honestly something everyone should play once and without knowing anything about it. But I will say, it really made me realise how far we've come as a society with mental health awareness. So rather than talk about the game as much here, i'll talk about some life experience instead.

I grew up in the 80's and 90's and a large part of my upbringing involved being raised by men and women in my family who all perpetuated the idea that men don't let feelings impact them and they are generally expected to remain stoic and iron skinned. It wasn't their fault, because that's how they were raised too. 

I first heard about PTSD during the Gulf War news coverage and later, in history class where it would have been mentioned during lessons on various global conflicts and wars. It was never really associated with non-military examples, so I operated under the assumption that PTSD is what might happen to you only if you come back from an armed conflict somewhere. I don't think I ever heard Post Traumatic Stress Disorder applied to anything outside of the life and experience of a soldier. Nowadays, it's a term used way more frequently and more appropriately on a broader level and I feel that compared to my formative years, society in general is growing to be way more educated on the subject matter.

PTSD is a thing that can happen to anyone under the right circumstances and it can sort of creep up on you. It doesn't have to be something that manifests right away too, it can hide for years and suddenly decades later pop up and say hello in different ways. On that note - I'm going to put the next bit in spoilers, because it deals with an actual example of abuse. I'm sharing it because the outcome might help others.

Reveal hidden contents

When I was about 11 years old, I was at my godmother's work party which I loved because it made me feel like one of the grown-ups. It was very noisy so I spent alot of time in her office drawing and eating a steady supply of cake and treats that she brought in to me. I absolutely loved her in general, she was such a positive and kind force in my childhood and life. Anyway, I remember going into the toilet for a wee and when I came out of the cubicle, a drunk woman was standing there looking at me. She asked me if I knew how lucky I was having someone like my godmother there. I replied that I did and tried to leave, but she grabbed my wrists tight and pulled me closer. She was clearly drunk out of her brains. I told her she was hurting me and tried to leave, but she held on tighter, demanding that I show more gratitude towards my godmother more. She let go of my wrists and then put her hands on my shoulders holding really tight and shaking me. The rest was a bit hazy, because I managed to squirm out and run back into my godmothers office and lock the door.

I can distinctly remember just falling into fits of sobs and shaking in my godmother's office. In hindsight something vanished from be a bit that day, I don't really know what it was yet (I'll buy someone a coffee if they can figure that one out). Anyway, my godmother came to check on me about an hour later and found the door locked. After about 20 mins of negotiating with me to open the door followed by another 20 mins of her trying to get me to talk about what happened - the party ground to a halt. The police were called and I can remember hearing the woman screaming in tears from another room "I'm sorry" over and over again. My wrists were sore (later bruising) and there was a small cut on one from one of her rings. My shoulders were also sore and my t-shirt collar was yanked and loose, i'm assuming that was from me squirming.

I don't really think my godmother got over what happened that night and she blamed herself. Because I was young and naturally quiet, I didn't really have the words she probably needed to feel better. I think that's one of my biggest regrets, that I didn't tell my godmother that it wasn't her fault and I never blamed her before she passed away in my late teens.

Anyway - time passed, life moved on, I didn't really think about it all. I was just me, acting like me and that seemed normal. Fast forward to my thirties - i'm at a work party. I'm no longer a little 11 year old boy. That 11 year old boy is now a little over 6ft, weight training 5 days a week and on the tail end of a charity obstacle run. One of the managers who is a little drunk comes up to my table and puts his hands on my shoulders asking me why I haven't stepped up to do a karaoke song yet. He held on there for an uncomfortably long time and I politely asked him to take his hands off me. He refused and told me not until i sing a song. I then told him to get his hands off of me, turning towards him and standing up as I did. I think he suddenly snapped out of his drunken-state, because he went deathly pale and held his hands up, apologising. I walked out of the room and of all places, ended up in a toilet cubicle in the office with the door closed. I was in an absolute state and felt very very alone. This time though, there was no office to lock myself in and no godmother to take care of me. When I described it to my therapist later on, she told me i had the symptoms of a panic attack because I'd made a live connection to that childhood event and a present one. I must have spent an hour in that cubicle before I just slipped out of the office quietly.

Later on I was pretty much pushed towards that therapist I mentioned by my partner at the time. She got me in touch with a really good one who i've been with ever since. I really liked her analogy in that some of these events, especially childhood ones, have a habit of seeping into us and obscuring themselves as we progress through later life, waiting to be triggered by something in the right circumstances. She helped me realise that I actually had a massive issue with anyone who I'm not familiar with making physical contact. Asking my friends they all viewed me as someone who wasn't very physical in that sense. Which is weird, because I actually always saw myself as the opposite and my past relationships have been warm, loving and physical in that sense. But it's pretty clear that I go into a bit of a panic if a random unknown person tries to hug me. Even bumping into me or brushing past me would provoke a silent reaction. I'm alot happier with myself now and working with my therapist has been really amazing as she has helped me develop some internal mechanisms to regulate my panic around that.

So with that wall of text in mind - my main advice is to look for help if you need it. Don't assume the effect of something that might happened to you decades ago is gone. Get in front of it and start figuring out a good therapist to talk to. They will help you understand way more about you than you could alone. Not all therapists are equal in terms of skillset and approach - be prepared to shop around a bit to find one that suits your needs.

You were like, "I'm not sure which game I want to play for the event, Soma or Senua's Sacrifice... So why not both?" xD I'll mark you down for the better of the two for the donation.

Senua's Sacrifice is a game I want to grab and play some time as I heard it's life-changing. It can really change your perspective on the world and is one of the most powerful games out there.

For those interested, here's a non-spoiler video of the game that's definitely worth watching if you have even the slightest interest in the game.

• Like 1

Well I'm not sure if I can finish my game for the main event on time, due to the time I still have available, but in the mean time, managed to  complete a game that fits the bonus badge requirement.

The game is Destroy all Humans! 2 . I remember playing the demo on PS2 when I was a kid and always wanted to play it, had a fun time, but some parts are too repetitive and it turns out to be a bit boring in some parts.

The game fits the requirements as newspapers are commonly used during to the game to announce what is happening and what we are doing.

Now let's work hard for completing the main game!

@Beyondthegrave07, will you only give the bonus badge if we complete the first game, like you did last year, or will you also consider if we complete only the bonus event?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattbluePT said:

Well I'm not sure if I can finish my game for the main event on time, due to the time I still have available, but in the mean time, managed to  complete a game that fits the bonus badge requirement.

The game is Destroy all Humans! 2 . I remember playing the demo on PS2 when I was a kid and always wanted to play it, had a fun time, but some parts are too repetitive and it turns out to be a bit boring in some parts.

The game fits the requirements as newspapers are commonly used during to the game to announce what is happening and what we are doing.

Now let's work hard for completing the main game!

@Beyondthegrave07, will you only give the bonus badge if we complete the first game, like you did last year, or will you also consider if we complete only the bonus event?

If you do the bonus badge, you have to complete your first game for the mental health as well for it to count. Same as last year.

• Like 1

Hi Team! I got my two games done for this event.

For Mental Health, like a few others, I played Celeste. (Rarity 29.96%)

Se9fd56.png
All 31 Trophies
15th May 2022  Platinum in 3 days, 12 hours
PS4

I enjoyed this game well enough in terms of gameplay. The accessibility features are excellent, which can make the game extremely easy. Without the features, the game is quite a challenging platformer, so there is a little something for everyone. In terms of mental health, I thought there were positives and negatives in this regard. The whole story of Madeline finding her anxiety as another part of herself and working through that, and working together, was solid. The well-known feather scene was a great way to capture relaxing during a panic attack. I found this particularly effective and interesting. There was some good connection and dialogue that resonated in managing anxiety. Madeline had some difficulty accepting this part of herself, which was an interesting, probably realistic, look at how anxiety and depression might manifest in a safe way. One thing I didn't like as much was that some of the random side characters were not treated as well in regard to their mental health. The story is so focused on Madeline that it breezes quickly through the hotel owner and the old lady, who are judged somewhat harshly by Madeline until the end. I would have liked her realization to support these other people a little more obvious or important to the story to close that loop more cleanly. Overall, a good game with some important messages around mental health. This was a good choice for this mental health event.

The game that I played for mass media was Oxenfree. (Rarity 28.45%)

S86593f.png
All 14 Trophies
25th May 2022  Platinum in 1 day, 3 hours

I actually started Oxenfree a long time ago, but for whatever reason got distracted away from it. The game heavily features radio as a primary story vehicle and a few televisions here and there. I enjoyed this game a lot, but the platinum got a little boring in replaying the story with little variation. Not too time-consuming at all, but repetitive for about 10 hours or so. I ended up not playing anything too rare for this event, but I enjoyed the games that I played and felt like both kept me thinking and reflecting.

• Like 4

So, I managed to complete The Walking Dead: The Final Season, for the Mental health part.

Spoiler

As some of you know, Clementine as been struggling during the four seasons, seeing her friends die and losing them constantly. With this, it is almost impossible not to talk about depression in this environment, while losing people constantly and living in fear, fighting for their lifes. Clementine still feels guilty in a way for Lee's death and it remains a scar in her life.

There are more characters in here that show clear signs of mental illness such as depression (Violet) or Survivor's guilt (Brody).

It is also fascinating to see how the events and the decisions we are making along we play have impact on the mental health and status of every character in the game, specially on AJ, who is still a little child and is developing along with the things he sees and experiences, changing is perceptions of right and wrong and his mental health.

I love this Telltale series, but this is my favourite Telltale's The Walking Dead game, without a doubt.

As the bonus badge was already done, with Destroy All Humans! 2, I managed to finish the event on time. Thanks @Beyondthegrave07 for the event!

• Like 3

@Beyondthegrave07  Regrettably, I did not complete my goal, peaking at 64% out of 100%. Time was not on my side. Thank you for hosting the event, and kudos to everyone who contributed.

Edit: So, it has come to light that today is in fact NOT June 1st. I was too busy this weekend to register the correct date. Time remains to complete the task. I'll give it my all, and hopefully pop a plat before 11:59PM. 

Edited by IntroPhenom
  • Like 3