Trophies for Mental Health II

1 hour ago, GuitaristZag said:

@Beyondthegrave07 So, heres said explanation.

This month, I platted Guilty Gear Strive- twice, actually, I liked it so much. 

When COVID hit, I basically lived in total Isolation for several months, leading into the following school year, where I was also very isolated. This took a massive toll on my mental health, and basically put me in a constant state of paranoia and anxiety. Long story short, I was diagnosed with OCD, and prescribed zoloft. The obsessions got better. However, what I didn't realize at the time was that the Zoloft was actively changing my temperament, and making me very irritable and angry, which only got worse as the dosage continued to be raised. While I won't go into it too much, as A: It's personal, B: It's a long story, and C: It makes me feel really guilty and mad at myself, I basically changed into a really angry and rude person, eventually leading to my partner of nearly two years breaking up with me last October, in hindsight, pretty justifiably. Hopefully I can make things right eventually, if they want to talk someday. Regardless, I digress. What's important is that last fall, unlike Fall of 2020, I had an amazing roommate, and we regularly played games together. One game we really enjoyed playing was Strive. When the breakup occurred, I was in a really really bad place, but what I do remember is playing hours upon hours of Strive with her, and having an incredible time, too focused on the game, listening to music, and making jokes to think about the breakup, or any other dark thoughts. In a weird way, along with my roommate and other support, a random anime fighting game really really really helped me through an absolutely awful time in my life, and it wasn't briefly either, we played constantly well after I was doing better- when I last checked after moving out for the summer, we had poured about 120 hours of matches in over the course of the school year. Even last night, we were texting back and forth, talking trash in anticipation of playing more next semester. I honestly don't think I'd be doing anywhere as stable as I were now without this game, as not only is everything I mentioned previously true, but one of the first nights of living together, we played Strive, so it was one of the first moments of bonding I had with her, leading to an incredibly close friendship that helped me at my worst, and even today. 

Anyhow, I never platted it until just this month, as stage 9 Nagoriyuki was the bane of my existence, however, I finally succeeded, and was so excited, I did it all over again on the 5. 

For an update, without getting too personal, following the breakup, I gradually weaned off the zoloft, and am totally off it, with no plans to ever resume treatment. Instead, I have resumed taking the ADHD medication I took all thru my life until freshman year of college, and am in many ways, doing much better. I'm far from in a state of total happiness, but I'm better, and I will likely eventually seek treatment for my suspected depression as well. 

All this to say that mental health is an incredibly real issue, ESPECIALLY in the age of COVID, and that you should absolutely get proper health, yet also, I encourage anybody prescribed a new medication to ask others to monitor and hold them accountable so as to not lose sight of themselves. Treatment helps, you just gotta be careful it's the right one for you. You're not alone, and things are gonna work out. I'm basically just rambling and talking out my ass at this point, so I'll try to wrap it up.

If something helps you, let it. No matter how silly it seems. It could be a roommate, music, dark humor, or a 2D anime fighting masterpiece. For me, it was all of them, and that's why as unconventional as it may be, there's no game more connected to mental health in my personal life than Guilty Gear Strive. 

Except for Uncharted 3 which gave me near panic attacks from those stupid spiders. 

Screw it, I'm a Chloe Price/Before the Storm defender.

After sharing something so personal and how this game personally helped you better your mental health, how could I possibly say no? xD I'll count it!

Thank you for sharing this. I think a lot of people see video games as something we do to kill time or is just a nerdy hobby, but it can really help people through some darker times.

I think your story is a good example of why I make events like this... To show video games can be used as a different outlet and can have a bigger meaning in our lives. I want people to look at games from a different perspective, and your story is definitely proof that you can!

I hope other people take time to read this and understand why I accepted the submission. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

After sharing something so personal and how this game personally helped you better your mental health, how could I possibly say no? xD I'll count it!

Thank you for sharing this. I think a lot of people see video games as something we do to kill time or is just a nerdy hobby, but it can really help people through some darker times.

I think your story is a good example of why I make events like this... To show video games can be used as a different outlet and can have a bigger meaning in our lives. I want people to look at games from a different perspective, and your story is definitely proof that you can!

I hope other people take time to read this and understand why I accepted the submission. 

See I had to make it personal, because then you have no choice!

All kidding aside, thank you, and thank you for doing this event. You better believe I'll be in it next year too if it's a thing!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GuitaristZag said:

See I had to make it personal, because then you have no choice!

All kidding aside, thank you, and thank you for doing this event. You better believe I'll be in it next year too if it's a thing!

I was actually going to joke with you and ask if you used Happy Chaos to beat the Extreme route and say it doesn't count if it was yes. xD

Or... Or ask you what your top 3 tracks were in GGS and if Crawl wasn't one of them, it doesn't count either. :P

GGS is one of my favorite fighting games I've played in a long time. It put a smile on my face reading about the joy it brought you.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I was actually going to joke with you and ask if you used Happy Chaos to beat the Extreme route and say it doesn't count if it was yes. xD

Or... Or ask you what your top 3 tracks were in GGS and if Crawl wasn't one of them, it doesn't count either. :P

GGS is one of my favorite fighting games I've played in a long time. It put a smile on my face reading about the joy it brought you.

I used Potemkin, but I'm probably most proficient as Sol and I-No. 

See, I need to do a deep dive into the soundtrack beyond just hearing the songs and going "Oh cool!" When I'm not focused on fighting. I'm a music major, so I prefer to be able to really hone in and focus on music, and as such, in high octane games like Guilty Gear, I more make a mental note to analyze the songs later rather than pay much attention at the moment. That said, from preliminary clips, I know I really like Chipp and Millia's themes, and that Smell of the Game is my all time most played track on Spotify. I also have watched the clip at the end of Dunkey's strive video where he sings the songs an unhealthy amount of times. "The JOKER song" "Society". That actually brings me to another point- part of the reason I haven't checked it out more heavily, is my roommate and I are planning to listen to the songs and trying to transcribe the lyrics by ear, as we've had multiple great occasions of laughing when we realized how inaccurate our lyrics were. Examples are, semi thanks to Dunkey, me genuine thinking "Fly like a tiger walk in the park" rather than "Fight like a tiger walk in the pyre", or her hearing "I'm a clown and fake" as opposed to "Armor-Clad Faith"

Side note to any outsiders reading this, listen to some of the songs, then read the lyrics. I guarantee you'll have similar stories, it's half the fun. 

Yeah! I was lukewarm on fighters before due to A: Not really having anybody to play with and B: Not liking the timesink to get good and string combos, but strive is so ridiculously fun and genuinely quite accessible, with a super high skill ceiling. We've already picked up several other Fighters, Ultimax, Under Night in Birth, Nick All Stars, FighterZ, etc, and I've preordered DNF duel- we're just way too busy with guilty gear, to the point of having a spreadsheet we are working thru that has us do every possible character match up. God help us with the fact there's also a season pass 2 coming out....

• Like 2

On 01/06/2022 at 1:15 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I noticed you also finished Resident Evil 4 in may which would count as your bonus badge as communication with Leon and the government to save the President's daughter is imperative to the plot.... It'll raise your contribution a bit if you want to submit it (hint, hint, "Yes, that sounds great! Good catch ;) ")

Actually that is an incredibly good catch... Good spot Mr Grave sir!

If you're willing to accept Resident Evil 4, as a bonus game then, I'm not going to say no ?. Very considerate of you considering I played Resident Evil 4 before I finished Hellblade

Do you need me to throw anything together in writing to make it more official? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Actually that is an incredibly good catch... Good spot Mr Grave sir!

If you're willing to accept Resident Evil 4, as a bonus game then, I'm not going to say no 1f602.png. Very considerate of you considering I played Resident Evil 4 before I finished Hellblade

Do you need me to throw anything together in writing to make it more official? 

Nope, you're all set! xD

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I may join this event if I have time. But I seldom keep up with making textbook responses on games I’m doing or have done because I tend to be a bit lazy. 

Based on the responses here, including one earlier regarding COVID-19, one of the best things you can do is turn off the television. 

After COVID-19 became another political discussion in my area I decided I was no longer going to bother with the media. I’ve seen enough crap to last a life time. 

But now at this point, the media is being bogged down by the January 6th attack on the Capitol. Once you finally distance yourself away from the media it becomes very hard to tolerate. It was getting to the point where the media was beginning to affect my mental health. 

I’m so tired of it. Someone here earlier suggested to seek treatment, but unfortunately not all of us have a fair amount of disposable income to use. 

There was a time when I played video games purely to have fun while looking forward to the latest titles coming out. Nowadays I play video games entirely for escapism, because the media at least here in the United States has been truly depressing for me to watch. 

I now bury my head in the sand every now and then and dwell in the past for a few hours to help keep me sane. 

Turn off the television and delete those big news apps from your smartphone. Trust me that helps a lot. Maybe block off some entertainment venues if you can. I ditched Netflix due to their policies and use of politics, I feel all the better for getting rid of them.

Hope you all stay safe and sane.

Edited by AJ_Radio
additional input
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 0:19 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Btw, I'm going to reach out to my badge maker this weekend and hopefully get an ETA on them. I know they are busy with other things, but hope to still have badges soon!

Any update? No rush on them, just curious!

1 hour ago, Im2Fast_4U said:

Any update? No rush on them, just curious!

Yeah, I got a couple of samples over the weekend. The main badge is pretty much already designed and ready. Still working on the bonus badge design a little, but it's coming along.

I know it's already almost been a month, but I promise, we have not abandoned them! I'm not one to push someone to crank out badges, especially when it's a volunteer job for them! ?

If I don't here anything this weekend, I'll at least give everyone a sneak on what's being worked on so no one thinks I'm talking out my ass, haha.

• Like 3

Sorry, I couldn't finish the game. I was a bit lost last month and my mental health worsened a lot, along with study/responsabilities. I'm doing better now but in the end I didn't begin it because of my health, so at least I'm on topic :).

Thank you beyond for keeping the talk about the topic. It's really important to know that many people struggle. Not every disease or injury is visible, and people is unfair because of that. At least in this tiny space we can safely talk about that and things we like (videogames!). Remember, you are not alone, there's always a way out and I'm glad someone helped me when I needed it. Help is coming your way.

I promise I will buy my game in time and comeback next year for the end of the most waited trilogy, Trophies for Mental Health III?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Im2Fast_4U said:

Bump on badges

I've been trying to reach out to them for a while, and I finally spoke to the badge maker today. In short, they've been going through a lot lately being in and out of the hospital, dealing with stress, and such so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

They said they were still going to do it, and I gave them another list of names... I think at this point, I should have probably just made them myself, but hopefully, the final product of what's to come will be waaay better than what I could do in MS paint. Lol. I might go ahead and make some backup badges if it's going to take a significant amount of time as it's almost been two months. 

Feel kinda bad about the whole situation tbh. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...