Embracer enters agreement to aquire Eidos, Crystal Dynamics, Square Enix Montreal

Infected Elite

Embracer owns Gearbox (the company behind Borderlands) and Nordic Games/THQ Nordic, so this is just another example of them throwing money at things.

They appear to have a surprisingly massive truckload of money for that exact purpose if all of the things that Nordic has acquired recently is an indication of anything. lmao

300 million dollars for all of that is probably worth it to Square given how their - often unreasonably high - expectations for those studios and their games weren't met.

So to you and I it sounds like very little considering what's included in this deal, but to Square it's likely a worthwhile deal to them.

Saw someone had commented this, which seems like a possible reason behind Sony not jumping on this deal themselves/Square selling all of this for seemingly so little:
opBTk7v.png 

Personally I highly doubt that this is the case or has anything to do with this, although I can understand what they're getting at to an extent.

Besides, I didn't think Microsoft was going to get another huge publisher so quickly after acquiring Bethesda, or that Sony would spend almost $4 billion on just Bungie alone.

Who even knows what's going on with all of these massive acquisitions anymore. ?

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

Yeah i can see expectations from Eidos and CD werent met at all. But i am hoping TR series stays multiplatform. Having it compete with another like game such as Uncharted is dumb. DMC competed with God of War for years until GoW went this new direction. But Sony didn't stop DMC. But i can see Square being happy, considering CD released the flop known as Avengers. No way they made profit on that. I haven't looked though. 

We will see what happens but like you said it probably won't mean much to us. We will still get TR on ps5. Plus i expect Sony now to purchase Square Enix, as this is just the montreal division that got bought.

• Like 1

Apparently the low price tag is because Embracer is taking on the remaining debt for those studios as well. Don't know how to feel about this but I figured it would happen since just about every game those studios have released in the SE era were financial flops

8 minutes ago, TheRedMaverick said:

Cautiously optimistic about this. Deus Ex deserves a proper ending after the cliffhanger in Mankind Divided. Sleeping Dogs 2 would be nice as well

All of this. I desperately want new Deus Ex game, that series deservers way more love than Square Enix gave it recently.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, majob said:

Apparently the low price tag is because Embracer is taking on the remaining debt for those studios as well. Don't know how to feel about this but I figured it would happen since just about every game those studios have released in the SE era were financial flops

even the tomb raider reboots were flops? i didnt pay attention to sales but i know Avengers and Deus Ex didnt reach sales goals, i also don't think Guardians of the Galaxy sold well at launch. 

5 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

even the tomb raider reboots were flops? i didnt pay attention to sales but i know Avengers and Deus Ex didnt reach sales goals, i also don't think Guardians of the Galaxy sold well at launch. 

Yeah, they poured stupid amounts of money into promotion to try and make the Tomb Raider games appeal to the Call of DutyGears of War crowds which made the break-even point obnoxiously high. The games themselves recouped the actual development costs which is why they made three of them, even Shadow of the Tomb Raider sold 9 million copies.

• Like 2

Squeenix was never good with Eidos or Crystal Dynamics. Glad to see them out from under their thumb. Of course, it might be a case of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss", but we'll have to wait and see.

It's sad, though, that I like Square more when they divest themselves of properties, rather than acquire (or create) them.

Edited by starcrunch061

55 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Yeah, they poured stupid amounts of money into promotion to try and make the Tomb Raider games appeal to the Call of DutyGears of War crowds which made the break-even point obnoxiously high. The games themselves recouped the actual development costs which is why they made three of them, even Shadow of the Tomb Raider sold 9 million copies.

Well we know another TR is coming. without Square it could turn out to be a very good thing. Still, I've played the gears series, beat them all and honestly...its a generic cover shooter. I didnt hate it but definitely didn't see the massive hype it has gained. Why would Square think they should appeal to that crowd, aside from sales numbers.. 

7 minutes ago, Brrrrrradislava said:

For me the biggest question is : did they get the Sleeping dogs ip?

This game deserves a sequel but it will never happen under Square Enix.

Doubt it. Published by Square Enix, developed by Square Enix Europe, and United Front Games.

huge loss for Sony, the Tomb Raider IP alone is worth more than $300 million and the potential business Sony could've generated from owning that IP goes beyond games, Movies, TV Shows, etc.

some people may look at the last TR game and say, hey, it didn't make money, so that's why they sold everything for so cheap, but that's a narrow perspective, the Spiderman games weren't making money, ex Amazing Spidermman 2 ps4, before Spiderman 2018 on PS4, God Of War Ascension didn't make money, what happened when GOW 2018 came out? made more money than the entire franchise did in the past combined to that point

the amount of potential value Embrace bought for $300 is over 1 billion, and all of that, is, Sony's loss, because Sony don't have dozens of billions to buy publishers/devs/IPs like Microsoft has, so they need good stuff for cheap, and it doesn't get more good for cheap than Tomb Raider IP, 3 AAA studios and other 50+ IPs for $300 million

Edited by The Investigator

Honestly - as strange as it is that they didn't - I'm glad that Sony didn't pounce on this deal, regardless of how worthwhile it might've been for them, the IPs themselves, etc.

Leave some scraps for the rest of the playground to fight and play tug of war over. lol

Absolutely sick and tired of both them and Microsoft buying out these huge publishers, and then forcing - sometimes decades old - IPs into exclusivity/holding them for ransom.

Exclusivity in of itself I have little problem with, but this recent arms race of massive acquisitions and people rabidly supporting it is mind-numbing and depressing. 

Edited by Zephrese

1 hour ago, The Investigator said:

huge loss for Sony, the Tomb Raider IP alone is worth more than $300 million and the potential business Sony could've generated from owning that IP goes beyond games, Movies, TV Shows, etc.

some people may look at the last TR game and say, hey, it didn't make money.

Most TR lifetime sales came from reboot Trilogy 

https://www.ign.com/articles/tomb-raider-sales-1996

• Like 2