Embracer enters agreement to aquire Eidos, Crystal Dynamics, Square Enix Montreal

Infected Elite

I'm just glad that it's Embracer Group buying and not Micrsoft, and $300 million seems like a steal. I'd like to see a complete list of the IP they're picking up, but if Embracer's history is anything to go by, they'll actually do something with them. What division of Embracer Group are these studios going to operate under, or are they gonna be under their own division and they bring back the Eidos name? As to what someone else said about Embracer taking on the studio's debt, their press release states that it's an all cash, debt free deal.

Edited by communistwookiee

I would agree that 300 million is a very nice amount for these sudios and IP's even with their extra debt. 

There is so much potential in the tomb raider IP.

As it is already established in multi media and Sony seems to want to pursue that. So these are studios I would have liked to see Sony jump on too.

Nevertheless, I will assume eidos and co are gonna self publish the games they make as well have more creative freedom under the embracer hood, which I think is a good thing.

Edited by Bumperklever

3 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

Most TR lifetime sales came from reboot Trilogy 

https://www.ign.com/articles/tomb-raider-sales-1996

in the link you posted, it shows that TR life sales are 88m, and reboot tirlogy did 38m out of those 88, so that leaves 50m left, I'm not a math expert, but 38m is not "most" out of 88m as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong

and I wasn't even talking about "the" reboot "trilogy", I was talking specifically about the last TR game of the trilogy only, which was a massive financial(and critical) flop, that's a fact, Square says this, not me, "In Square Enix's Q3 earnings call to investors, president Yosuke Matsuda said that Shadow of the Tomb Raider "got off to a weak start.""

1 hour ago, The Investigator said:

in the link you posted, it shows that TR life sales are 88m, and reboot tirlogy did 38m out of those 88, so that leaves 50m left, I'm not a math expert, but 38m is not "most" out of 88m as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong

and I wasn't even talking about "the" reboot "trilogy", I was talking specifically about the last TR game of the trilogy only, which was a massive financial(and critical) flop, that's a fact, Square says this, not me, "In Square Enix's Q3 earnings call to investors, president Yosuke Matsuda said that Shadow of the Tomb Raider "got off to a weak start.""

Ah i misread the article. My mistake.

4 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Sorry but I don't care about any of these franchises. I just don't. Never have and probably never will.

This effects me none.

Alright, but then why even comment? thats like me going into any thread i don't like and just commenting "i don't like this thread"

But @MidnightDragon i am and i am not surprised they are keeping Outriders. I can see more life is strange but Outriders seems like a Destiny light. I do like it, don't get me wrong, but its nothing that blows people away. Obviously the upcoming DLC/Expansion may paint a better picture. Considering i am pretty sure they said they wouldn't do any expansions for Outriders due to sales, but i could be wrong.

7 minutes ago, Colin_Raleigh said:

Crystal Dynamics are the creators of the brilliant Legacy of Kain series. If this deal goes through, does that mean Square Enix will no longer own the rights? I sure as hell hope so, because they've treated the Kain series like shit.

That is correct. Perhaps a HD remaster to refresh some peoples memories of LoK series before working on a new entry is in order. 

11 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

Yeah, they poured stupid amounts of money into promotion to try and make the Tomb Raider games appeal to the Call of DutyGears of War crowds which made the break-even point obnoxiously high. The games themselves recouped the actual development costs which is why they made three of them, even Shadow of the Tomb Raider sold 9 million copies.

I really enjoyed Deus Ex a ton. However i feel like Tomb Raider sold well due to the first game being absolutely amazing and then it was a let down the next two but people wanted to see it through. The movie was great though. i enjoyed it a ton too.

Awesome move by Square-Enix. This coincides with their president's recent comments about how Japanese studios should NOT imitate western devs, which they (and many other Japanese devs) were guilty of doing throughout the late 2000's-2010's. There are so many great, established franchises under both the Squaresoft and Enix umbrellas where they never even needed Eidos, and in my personal opinion, just watered down the brand.

The PlayStation brand has been severely lacking in Japanese offerings that aren't simply catered to western markets (Souls-like/Elden Ring). Hopefully we start seeing more variety as this new console generation progresses.

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

Alright, but then why even comment? thats like me going into any thread i don't like and just commenting "i don't like this thread"

But @MidnightDragon i am and i am not surprised they are keeping Outriders. I can see more life is strange but Outriders seems like a Destiny light. I do like it, don't get me wrong, but its nothing that blows people away. Obviously the upcoming DLC/Expansion may paint a better picture. Considering i am pretty sure they said they wouldn't do any expansions for Outriders due to sales, but i could be wrong.

Just me being cranky, I guess. :P 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

That is correct. Perhaps a HD remaster to refresh some peoples memories of LoK series before working on a new entry is in order. 

Glad Square Enix is losing the rights then, their cancelled Kain titles Dead Sun and Nosgoth proved that they're nothing but morons. I still cringe every single time I think of them.

13 hours ago, SegaJAM said:

Awesome move by Square-Enix. This coincides with their president's recent comments about how Japanese studios should NOT imitate western devs, which they (and many other Japanese devs) were guilty of doing throughout the late 2000's-2010's. There are so many great, established franchises under both the Squaresoft and Enix umbrellas where they never even needed Eidos, and in my personal opinion, just watered down the brand.

In that selfsame set of comments, he also criticized the notion of providing games as "finished products".

https://nichegamer.com/square-enix-cant-make-good-games-by-just-imitating-westerners-says-company-president/

Square needs little help in watering down its brand. It does a great job on its own. Expect another decade of Square imitating Western devs.

Edited by starcrunch061

This news makes me think about upcoming server shutdowns. Just remember how they handled Contracts Mode of Hitman: Absolution after the management buyout of IO Interactive.
Maybe it will be different this time, but generally it is always "new owner, new rules" ?.

4 hours ago, HeinrichReich said:

This news makes me think about upcoming server shutdowns. Just remember how they handled Contracts Mode of Hitman: Absolution after the management buyout of IO Interactive.
Maybe it will be different this time, but generally it is always "new owner, new rules" 1f611.png.

I mean if they shut down servers, wouldn't that effectively mean Hitman 1, 2, and 3 are unplayable? since i think you need to be online. I never bothered with the newer ones, much prefer the ps2 era hitman games. But still.

On 5/2/2022 at 2:41 PM, The Investigator said:

Sony has Uncharted, already considered Tomb Raider with a dude, and Horizon so they don't really have a use for the Tomb Raider IP and Hitman simply isn't up their alley. The last Tomb Raider movie was a flop and Laura was really only a gaming icon during the 90s. The brand saw more "success" ironically under SE but even that wasn't enough

3 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

I mean if they shut down servers, wouldn't that effectively mean Hitman 1, 2, and 3 are unplayable? since i think you need to be online. I never bothered with the newer ones, much prefer the ps2 era hitman games. But still.

Well, I guess this is a question of how the server structure is managed behind the scenes. They will surely maintain whatever is necessary to sell these games or let them monetize with microtransactions. But maybe they need to change some stuff that will break online support and with it also trophies (especially in older games like Tomb Raider 2013).

I really hope the best for it, but have a slight queasy feeling.

5 hours ago, majob said:

Sony has Uncharted, already considered Tomb Raider with a dude, and Horizon so they don't really have a use for the Tomb Raider IP and Hitman simply isn't up their alley. The last Tomb Raider movie was a flop and Laura was really only a gaming icon during the 90s. The brand saw more "success" ironically under SE but even that wasn't enough

Uncharted is done, the Tomb Raider IP original vision is nothing like Uncharted, only the new ones tried to to Uncharted, Uncharted is more inspired by Indiana Jones than old Tomb Raider, new Tomb Raider is inspired by Uncharted, if they had TR, nothing stops them from returning to the old, better way

Hitman is not owned by Square or part of this deal, and either way, it's a strong IP

the last TR movie was a flop because it was a bad movie, not because TR is a flop, the last Batman movie before The Dark Knight trilogy was a flop, what happened when The Dark Knight came out?

Tomb Raider life time sales are 88 million, only 38 million are from the new TR, so no, it didn't see "more success" under the reboot trilogy, and Lara is still one of if not the most recognizable gaming icons, especially female

bringing Horizon in this discusion has no relevance, unless you're insinuating that every game with a female main character is the same, Horizon is nothing like TR, Horizon is aimed at a mix of the fanbases of Witcher and Far Cry, and if we're talking about popularity, Lara runs hundreds of laps around Aloy in every aspect

Lara had the potential to be a huge PlayStation icon, it even was at some point, so it could've been something special, and the potential of a corssover with Uncharted would've been a historical moment in gaming, I can not express enough the loss that this is on Sony 25% by losing the content, 75% by losing the content at such a super discounted price, again, we're not talking about only TR, we're talking about two AAA studios, one mobile studio, all of them proven capable, only maybe in need of a better leadership/management, which Sony is notorious for having good ones, and over 50+ gaming IPs along TR

Edited by The Investigator

Iv'e never heard of the Embracer Group before but anything seems better then being owned by SE. All they care about are the Kingdom Heart and Final Fantasy games, while neglecting their other IP's... I hope Tomb Raider goes back to its roots and for them to revive the Legacy of Kain series (I'd even be happy with simple ports for both of the older games in both franchsies)

On 5/3/2022 at 8:13 PM, MidnightDragon said:

That makes sense as none of those games were developed by the studios square is selling. Dontnod in particular has 1 ip tied up by capcom(remember me) and thier relation to square only goes as far as life is strange(thier upcoming game twim mirror is self published iirc) and just causes developer is one of the studios most expected to be aquired by microsoft(they are partnering with them for an exclusive).

Considering how razer thin the profit those studios were making at best I'm sure SE sees it as a good deal for themselves as they got money that those studios would take ages to generate and can now invest it in things which can potentially make them more money (or lose them money).

As for Tomb Raider clashing with Uncharted... I don't agree. You could team them up without issue and combine the brands. Make a big deal out of a game called Tomb Raider: Uncharted, then going forward alternate between Tomb Raider and Uncharted. Easy.