"Fatal error" in Cinders after dialogue

LoveInHell

I can't continue because a fatal error pops up after a certain dialogue:

"I wonder what I'm replacing this life with. It might be a dream come true. Might also be a nightmare. But all I've got to lose are memories." - Cinders, in the main hall of the house after visiting...

Spoiler

The Fairy in the Forest to make a deal to leave town forever.

Screenshot of the fatal error:

https://imgur.com/OdeiHWg

What is causing this and how do I fix it?

I contacted the developer and got a very quick response:

"Thanks for the report and sorry to hear you’re having trouble. This error has been reported by another person as well, but so far we’ve had no luck trying to pin it down. We’re still investigating it and hope to have a patch ready soon, but I'm afraid that for now I don’t have any quick solution for you other than trying an even earlier save file and making sure to fully close the game first. In case you decide to start over, remember that you can zoom past the already seen scenes, so it actually doesn’t take more than a few minutes to get where you were.

Again, I’m sorry for the trouble and the lackluster solution, but thanks again for the detailed report."

So... hopefully we'll get a patch soon.

Edited by LoveInHell

3 minutes ago, Flitterbloom said:

Hi. Not sure this will solve your problem but I had a similar one on another game (couldn't get to some cinematic, the game just stopped everytime), changing the console's language to English, in my case, finally solved it. Costs nothing to try 1f642.png

Thank you, I just checked but there is no language option. Only text speed and special effects etc.

• 1 year later...

Ok, I'm a bit late to the party, but I experienced this Fatal Error (different text) twice and couldn't complete two endings. The first was going for the third Fairytale ending and the second from a save just before that branching decision point. Since the 'crash' happened almost immediately on the latter after loading the save, I didn't have any previously seen text. So when I started a new game to complete this ending I had not Skip Mode options and was able to get that (first Grim Fate) ending.

I decided to complete all other endings and then go back to try for the 'broken' ending. If it failed, I intended to delete all saves & start to play through only the Fairytale endings. However, my experience mentioned above made me suspect Skip Mode was breaking something. So I started a new game for the 'broken' ending, skipping until I arrived at the palace and then clicked through every scene to the end (i.e. NOT skipping any) and, thankfully, I obtained the ending and thus Platinum.

I can't say for sure that skipping broke something, but I suggest that if you get a similar Fatal Error complete all other endings, then start a new game for this last ending and DO NOT skip once you get to the palace.

As an aside, I have seen suggestions that using Save slot 4 can cause this, so avoiding this slot might be the answer to avoid the error in the first place.

• Like 1