Why the PS5 has ruined me

xX-andoid-Xx

11 minutes ago, xX-andoid-Xx said:

I consider myself a gamer playing around 4+ hours a day usually and now I would not necessarily call myself a fanboy but I like PlayStation because this is where I started my childhood playing games like Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper so I have a attachment to Sony PlayStation devices and that's what's kept me here for so long.

This night I had a bad dream so I was unable to get to sleep and decided to pick up my Vita for the first time in a while, after trying a few different games I came to the realization that I can't stand the loading screens and how awful graphics look other than stardew valley which case the graphics are fine, I feel like not playing a game on a PS5 is no longer enjoyable experience now that I've been spoiled by the PS5.

Is there any of you that has felt this way since you bought your PlayStation 5?

Well feel something similar. Growing up other than old consoles like Atari and super and regular Nintendo and sega all I had was handhelds which I primarily played in cause the consoles where regularly fritzing but once I got a PS2 I just couldn't play handheld as much it didn't pull me in and then I got a PS3 and the PS2 just couldn't hold me (weirdly I love when they bring forward ps1 and 2 games) and this keeps happening with new consoles except the ps5 I play both ps4 and 5 but I generally use the ps5 console to play unless it's a game that just doesn't work on the 5. I'm hoping someday we will get a completely backwards compatible system cause I'm not sure it's graphics or load times so much as interface and controller feel the more relaxed and comfortable we are the more we are likely to do it

• Like 4

Totally agree with you, i mean i play some games with Loading screens at the moment, but they were always there. ?
if i would now play Elden Ring on my PS4 i guess i would just stop it because i know the loading on Ps5 ant couldn't stand it on this console...

Kind of. Never cared much about graphics (I've been playing a lot of ps1-ps3 remasters lately), but after spending a lot of time on my PS5 I've started to get really picky about framerate and resolution. The graphics can be terrible, as long as the game looks crisp and runs fine.

• Like 1

I've been spoiled more so by the almost non-existent load times than I have by the graphics. That isn't to say graphics on PS5 haven't been amazing, they have, but I don't find that graphics overly limit my enjoyment of older games. I still play the Vita somewhat regularly, and plan on going back to the PS3 at some point too, and the difference in graphics doesn't bother me at all. I love pretty and shiny graphics as much as anyone, but it isn't the most important factor in a game for me. 

The load times however have been a true game changer for me. I actually forget what it's like to wait for a game to boot up, and it makes it painful going back to older systems. It's such a fantastic quality of life feature. 

• Like 1

Just now, saiyanbloodstyle said:

I'm fine with playing on my PS3, true that the PS5 has spoiled us in very fast loading but i am used to loading screens, maybe this newer generation can't stand it but i grew up with it.

I grew up with 3-6 minute loading times on cassette tapes on my Amstrad CPC464. And there wasn't even any guarantee that the game would work after waiting all that time.

After that, I can put up with most loading times no matter how long lol

Unless it's Resident Evil Revelations 2 on the Vita...

I doubt that graphics would move me that much; I can still break out old pixel games that were made for a CRT television.

But I will say that the elimination of load times is something I cannot wait for.

10 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Haha I know that feeling. On Dynasty Warriors 7 on PS3 you had to win 1000 battles, took like about 2-3 minutes for the ending speech to finish, loading times for back to menu and then starting the 5 minute stage again.

You would not believe how many jeans, shirts and towels I folded during those scheduled 2-3 minute breaks over several months. lol

Pfft. What about when you grinded out proficiency in Musou Orochi Z? You would finish the stage, only to have to listen to "I have defeated an officer!" in Japanese over and over again.

What was it about those old DW games where they were in love with the sound of their voice? I remember having to pause to allow these speeches to end, just to finish some of the time requirements.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Pfft. What about when you grinded out proficiency in Musou Orochi Z? You would finish the stage, only to have to listen to "I have defeated an officer!" in Japanese over and over again.

What was it about those old DW games where they were in love with the sound of their voice? I remember having to pause to allow these speeches to end, just to finish some of the time requirements.

Well interestingly for me, never had to grind on Musou Orochi Z, me and my then EX girlfriend loved playing the game, and we went through every single stage on every single difficulty and I was sure to play as most of the lesser characters. And well that trophy was the last to pop for me but still had only done about 90% of the stages before it popped.

On Samurai Warriors 4 II, you have something stupid like kill 500 enemies with Ranmaru in 5 minutes and on Vita it's nigh on impossible due to a door not opening until all the chatting has ended and it lasts for nearly 3 minutes.

I'd rather grind Musou Orochi Z any day over the awful DLC weapon grinding you need to do in Warriors Orochi 4....

Anyway erm, back on topic.. lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xX-andoid-Xx said:

decided to pick up my Vita

This fucking angers me...

A reminder that Playstation didn't want to fix what they did wrong with the Vita due to the climate being not so good due to free games on mobile phones... 

Like we all know why the Vita really didn't do so well.. 

Would have been nice to have a PS Vita 2 release with the PS5.. if you couldn't get a PS5 then you could have picked up a V2. And just play that until PS5 units were readily available. 

Sorry for rambling. 

I have to agree to one of the replies above me. Newer generations probably got spoiled by the PS5. Lol us old heads don't mind loading times, our thought is "as long as the load times aren't like the PS1 load times.." and it's a nice break to go do something else real quick. 

Loading screens don't bother me. Sometimes i miss them as it was an easy second to get up and grab a drink or snack. Now it loads in, have to maybe see a cutscene that you may only be able to skip. Or wait for gameplay to resume.

In terms of graphics, depends on the game. N64/PS2/Gamecube graphics don't appeal to me.

So do i feel spoiled by ps5? no. Its just another console i can play games on. Just technology has allowed better graphical capabilities. 

It depends. If certain console generations are close to the current one it is easier to spot graphical issues. However, if you go back even further it has the opposite effect on me. Right now i am back at playing stuff on the gamecube and i am amazed by the graphics of some titles, cause it impresses me how great they looked for their time. 480p and the general cartoonish look do the trick here. So it is also a matter of technical circumstances, art styles, engines etc. The PS2 for instance never looked good compared to the Gamecube, Xbox or even Dreamcast, simply because of its technical aspects.

Contrary to what I just described I also checked out Spec Ops The Line again on the PS3 and that looked rubbish as hell. It was the era of brown colors, flicker and especially bloom! That game looked worse than Star Fox Assault even though there is a generation beteween them. So, I get that some older games are hard to look at and especially loading times are something no one wants back. It is just more nuanced than saying new = good, old = bad.

I had more fun with Metroid Dread than any of the PS5 First Party Games so far. (Excluding maybe Returnal what was the only PS5 Game so far that blew me away) So no i still take Gameplay and good Design over graphical fidelity. For me its rather the opposite at the moment the PS5 bores me and i spend more time on the switch. 

Edited by Razeico
  • Like 1

I've been back to playing games on both PS3 and Vita since I got a PS5, and I haven't felt this way at all. Graphically, I still think they hold up very well. In fact, recently, I was quite impressed with how good Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 3 looks on Vita, so I guess my standards are pretty low when it comes to that. It's not like every game on PS5 has AAA quality graphics anyway. Art style is more important to me than graphical fidelity, and there are loads of games from previous generations that still look amazing. Stuff like Okami or Ni no Kuni come to mind. "Anime games" look much the same on PS5 as they do on PS3/Vita, just at higher resolutions, and I play a lot of those.

As for loading times, I've always been pretty sensitive to that, and I can only think of a small handful of games on PS3/Vita where that was ever noticeably bad for me. So long as you avoid Bethesda games and poor ports like XCOM on Vita, I've found that the loading times are pretty comparable to PS4 games running on PS5. Maybe not the best example since it's not a very demanding game, but I'm currently playing Agarest: Generations of War Zero, and that loads in seconds. Most JRPGs are like that in my experience. I only think loading times really started getting out of control with the PS4 generation. Very few games come to mind on PS3/Vita that I played which took a minute or longer to load, but that seemed to be fairly common on PS4 to the point where I ended up putting an SSD in mine to help alleviate that somewhat.

Getting a PS5 hasn't really changed much for me. I still get excited going back to PS3 and Vita games. A lot of them are way better than the modern stuff.

• Like 4

It's not so much the load times difference between the PS5 and PS4 that "ruined" me - that's a nice bonus, but I don't find the load times too difficult to deal with. I certainly don't find it too rough playing PS4 games, and the thought of load times isn't enough to deter me really.

The real "ruination" for me wasn't in the PS4/PS5 transition... it was in the PS3/PS4 one....

....with Rest Mode.

More than anything else, the lack of Rest Mode is the biggest thing that holds me back from spending more time on the PS3. 

Knowing that every time you turn it on, you have to load the game up from scratch, wait through all the intro stuff, load your game,.... and knowing that when you finish, you need time to find save spots, close the game, manually synch trophies etc. -  and knowing I can't just fire it up for a quick blast, and nip away again at a moment's notice is really jarring now, after being spoiled by rest modes in the PS4 / PS5 / Vita.

As a result, it takes a really strong urge to play something to make me willing to put up with that nowadays ?

• Like 1

I also recently went back to my Vita, and I've honestly been having a lot of fun. I don't think the PS5 has done anything to me there.

... what is HAS done, however, is made me notice frame drops in Nintendo games I love. I used to never notice frame drops, like I was completely obtuse to tell the difference between fps levels. Now it actively bothers me when I play something like Rune Factory 5 or Story of Seasons, which aren't even that strenuous of games (performance wise) to be begin with. I do get used to it after a while of playing, but boy does it bother me a lot more now. 

Since somehow surviving through 200 hours of Skyrim on PS3 years ago, loading times don't really bug me any more. If they're particularly long (like 2+ minutes), I'll just look something up on my laptop or read a little ahead in any guide/walkthrough I'm using, if I'm using one.

I'm honestly struggling to think of the last game I played with long loading times, and I've primarily being playing fairly old consoles recently (PS2, Gamecube, PSP, etc.). I think excessive loading times have generally always been kind of an exception, at least since the 5th gen or so, in my experience anyway. And sometimes I actually like loading screens, seeing the little tips on some of them or appreciating whatever art or animation they might have going on.

• Like 1