Mafia 4 Officially Announced by 2K Games

ziggypossum

After Mafia 3 I don't trust the studio whatsoever. Mafia 3 is a broken game & the devs don't care or are to lazy to fix it which is terrible practice. I have absolutely no faith in this & if their track record keeps up, it'll be another broken & abandoned mess

• Like 3

2K Games sounds like your typical corporate businessman talking about how everything is looking positive, even if everything is a pile of shit. Got to stay positive and professional.

I’ve been to enough jobs in my life to know most of what these corporations say is a pile of trash. Because it’s always the higher ups who talk this nonsense, not the grunt workers who do the actual work, including game developers. 

We don’t know what was going on with Hangar 13 behind the scenes, but I imagine they felt a lot of scrutiny after the mixed reception Mafia III got on release.

None of the Mafia games ever had exceptional controls or gun fights. Even Mafia: Definitive Edition, which I ended up enjoying, had less than stellar controls. Classic difficulty was basically handicapping, and the Chapter 5 race took me hours of attempts. 

Moving forward, I hope the next Mafia game will be better received. We live in an era where massive corporations like 2K Games can just ditch a developer and get someone else to take their place.

I’m not defending Hangar 13, but this is the sort of reality we’re living. Gaming is such a tough business at this point, you slip up once and that can call doom on your career. It’s the main reason why I’ve given up any hope of being a game developer myself. They have to contend with scrutiny on social media, something that didn’t exist in the old days of gaming.

Edited by AJ_Radio

I'm okay with a prequel...you can only go so far forward in time before the Mafia is less meaningful. 

Now I had the (apparent) luxury of playing Mafia III when it was on PS Plus rather than the definitive edition release. So I didn't have to bother with the problems people had with it crashing and needing more than 2 playthroughs. But Mafia III still had a serious issue even then. The world, the story, the characters...all fantastic. But the HORRIBLE gameplay loop can not return for 4. You literally did the same thing over and over the entire game. If they can get away from that...I'm on board. 

Hope this one is good. Looking forward to see what they can do with UE5.

Love the Mafia series and anything to do with crime and the Mob. Planning on finishing the DLC for Mafia 3 and starting Mafia: Definitive Edition soon.

• Like 1

I was disappointed when mafia 3 launched (not even because bugged trophies, but in general), but it was still a decent game. 

Mafia DE brought back my faith in the studio, since they did an amazing job with the remake. The original is still my prefered way of playing it, but it is an amazing work and very enjoyable, for both old fans and newcomers. If they proceed down this way, I'm all in for a prequel.

I don't hate Mafia III. I really liked the game on my initial playthrough when I didn't care about trophies. I then understood where all hate is coming from when I came back to it years later to try and get the platinum with all the buggy/glitched trophies. It was not an enjoyable game to have to playthrough multiple times and hope and pray the game doesn't crash on you so it doesn't void any trophies and then being forced to start a new playthrough when it does. 

Still though, as a game in general taking out the trophy aspect, I think the game is pretty good with a good story and good setting and I may be even stretching in saying it's a little underrated. The DLC was also pretty good for it. The story is repetitive in design but those final missions in each arc of the story are very well done and makes it worth it. 

Mafia II I played so long ago I don't even remember anything about it besides also liking it. Anything to do with the mafia I've always been fascinated with so I'll be looking forward to Mafia 4 a lot. Still so much potential there. 

i dont get the hate for mafia 3, cutscenes and soundtrack are among the best of last gen. mafia 1 on the other hand sucks. 

But i trust hangar 13 will deliver a great game again, especially with unreal engine 5 becauae graphics was the only thing that bothered me in mafia 3, outside of cutscenes it looked like trash. ?

Mafia 2 was really good back in 2010, the remaster we got on PS4 was horrendous though so not happy with a very lazy port, the remake of the original was fun though.

New one coming on UE5 is interesting as we've seen what the engine can look like, hopefully it's on PS5/Series X only, don't want the old gen consoles holding it back.

Finally. Been waiting for a new Mafia game to come out once I finish the second and third game. After playing Mafia: Definitive Edition, I cannot wait for this game to release. This game + UE5 is gonna look so nice on the PS5.