May 5 to May 11, 2022 easily complete DLC "Parkour Fever"

TiamaTiK

Just got mine done tonight! It took me about 2hrs, including the time it took me to also clear a safe house. Also a reminder that there is now less than 24hrs left for the event. If you are up to old town and have the means to craft the pyza suit, you still have time. If not, probably not worth starting it now.

Below I’ll list some tips for things I picked up, and also if you are running out of time, the best order (in my opinion) to do them in.

General tips:

• Don’t expect to run in and get it first try. You need to practice these routes, even with the added help of the event.
  • While being less efficient, (since the trophies stack) some routes are easier to practice in the daytime first, even just once to learn checkpoint locations. The only ones I did straightaway at night were the three bunched together in old town as I found them the easiest.
  • Some green checkpoints will still register as collected even if you run/glide above them - for example if they shine through a roof you can collect it on top of the roof instead of underneath it. This helps on some courses so you can say on top of some areas.
  • Jump early before obstacles as the low gravity will allow you to clear them without getting locked in the climbing animation. This will save you time.

Running out of time? The courses you should prioritise:

Please note of course that this is my subjective opinion based on my experience.

1. Start with On the Edge, Diagonal Run and Not So Obvious first. These are all in old town located to the right side and fairly close together. These courses are made very different with the suit, and are fairly easy. If you only have time to do three courses for the event, these are the best ones.
  2. Next do the remaining courses Blue District Fever and Tower Run, since it’s faster to keep in the same area rather than go back and forth to and from the slums. If you are really close to the end of the event though you might want to skip to number three and do the first three slums courses though which are also made easier by having the suit and low gravity.
  3. Do First Assignment, End of the Tunnel, then Tiptoeing to Gazi
  4. Finally Favela Fever, and then Twister. I have placed these courses last as they benefit the least from the event and so if you are running out of time for the event and don’t get to do these within the time, you won’t miss out on too much. The suit and low gravity does very little to help you with these courses and they are going to be hard either way. They involve weaving back-and-forth between and inside buildings, and sometimes the event is more of a hindrance here.

Good luck to those still trying!

• Like 4

Also equip a potion or booster with speed boost and/or night vision and mash L2 during the countdown. He’ll drink it right after the countdown then quickly use the D-Pad left to switch to pyza suit and begin your run. You’ll lose a second in switching but will more than make up that time with the help the potion gives.

With less than 24 hours to go, if anyone’s cutting it close or getting desperate, I’ll be on later and can try dropping you a stack of speed boost + night vision Drunken Pumpkin potions that helped me with a few of them. If all else fails, at least try to do as many Old Town challenges as you can. They are affected the most with this event. Good luck.

5 hours ago, Cruscah said:

They are ultra rares because the DLC is free and most people didn't bother finishing it since originally (without this event) the challenges are hard. I honestly think that you guys are overreacting it, maybe because you all haven't played in a long time and lost the sense of movement.

could be, i will admit im not the greatest gamer. ive def seen tons of better gamers then me where i give up they will not.

9 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Can't you turn it down to Easy? Is it still hard there?

i think "normal" mode is the lowest it goes. but even at that its pretty bonkers. i'll prob have to xp glitch my legendary stats to max out the health perks in that bracket maybe. 

• Like 1

These kinds of challenges work in other games but they require a few things to not be annoying as hell:

- Show two checkpoints at once

- Extremely reliable controls

- Extremely reliable physics

And it seems like Dying Light has none of these, at least when it comes to the free-running. The fact that R1 jumps only if you're holding the joystick up, but dodges if you're holding it any other direction, slows you down if you need to re-orient yourself.

For anyone starting these now, I'd definitely recommend doing them during the day first, before trying them at night. Is there any way to track which ones you finished at night successfully?

• Like 1

I’ve just finished tower run which took me around 4 hours. Very hard. I thought the slums one might have been easier because they are ‘medium’ instead of ‘hard’. I don’t know who came up with the difficulty ratings but so far, first assignment seems worse than any of the ‘hard’ routes and I’ve not done favela fever yet. 

honestly, I hate it when dlc adds challenges. It just feels like cheap filler. Worse still when dlc content is way harder than the main game, locking you out of 100%. Not confident I’ll get these done in the last day but I’ll keep trying! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

Is there any way to track which ones you finished at night successfully?

Nope, another dickish thing by the devs. I made a note in Notepad of which levels I had done, you have to track it youself. You can only tell if you've done a challenge by looking at your best time beforehand. It's so dumb.

I just made sure that after a challenge the ingame time was before 6am and I could still see MGS style cones on the minimap for the Tyrant zombies.

BTW, if while playing a challenge, the daytime music kicks in. IMMEDIATELY quit the challenge.

I recommend checking the time and not bothering to even start a challenge until it's 4am or earlier. Usually you can attempt a challenge 3 or 4 times before needing to go to bed to reset the time. Try not to die, restarting the challenge uses way less time than dying.

Unfortunately you need to know many of the races off by heart and just keep doing them over and over, until the game randomly gives you a good of RNG of zombie placements and not glitch as it's very easy to just glide into a wall and get in a Woody Wood pecker.

Also while gliding the game stupidly decides if you will die or not from a fall (releasing L2) by how low you descended downwards, even if you are falling very slowly and you release L2, likely from bad programming. So to land safely anywhere you need to crash into a wall/grab something WITHOUT releasing L2. In most challenges sometimes you can glide through 4 or 5 checkpoints in a row, but you need to try and find a wall to crash into, or a ledge to grab onto (even if you will immediately jump into another glide) just to prevent yourself from doing.

I did not use any speed boosts, I think in most cases speed isn't the issue it's mostly about not getting grabbed/hit by zombies and being able to grab the next ledge to climb successfully without getting stuck on the scenery. Also for some reason this game does not have good physics, for whatever reason you glide speed is constant by whatever speed you were when you were running. So if you are gliding and when you jump somehow you're travelling at walking speed (or slower) it's sometimes better to start again since running  on the floor can be faster.

Do not be afraid to just simply button mash R1 when trying to climb up a wall / you get glitched. Sometimes you can actually glitch through a wall / climb up faster. Yes, game is full of glitches but sometimes they can actually help you.

Also, if the game makes you angry which it did me often, sometimes it's better to just watch a youtube video of a playthrough of the challenge you are walking on, and relaxing a bit.

6 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I did not use any speed boosts, I think in most cases speed isn't the issue it's mostly about not getting grabbed/hit by zombies and being able to grab the next ledge to climb successfully without getting stuck on the scenery. Also for some reason this game does not have good physics, for whatever reason you glide speed is constant by whatever speed you were when you were running. So if you are gliding and when you jump somehow you're travelling at walking speed (or slower) it's sometimes better to start again since running  on the floor can be faster.

Speed boosts absolutely will help you glide faster and you can also click L3 every couple seconds to get a short burst of speed. I was getting some high leaderboard spots for the old town challenges using those.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NMErickson said:

Speed boosts absolutely will help you glide faster and you can also click L3 every couple seconds to get a short burst of speed. I was getting some high leaderboard spots for the old town challenges using those.

That's cool to know. Although of course too late for me lol.

I still maintain that a few of the challenges especially in slums. Require you jump up on trains and on tight ledges, or have you jumping up to a higher place on a flakey hut where you need to climb up higher and not fly into the house. Climbing accuracy ends up being more important than speed and gliding.

Blue Discrict Fever in Old Town is like that too, sometimes you need to quickly run in and out of a building and actually taking those routes a bit slower. I am not sure if this game runs better on PS4 Pro but I often have sudden bouts of slowdown which sometimes hinders my controller input.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

That's cool to know. Although of course too late for me lol.

I still maintain that a few of the challenges especially in slums. Require you jump up on trains and on tight ledges, or have you jumping up to a higher place on a flakey hut where you need to climb up higher and not fly into the house. Climbing accuracy ends up being more important than speed and gliding.

Blue Discrict Fever in Old Town is like that too, sometimes you need to quickly run in and out of a building and actually taking those routes a bit slower. I am not sure if this game runs better on PS4 Pro but I often have sudden bouts of slowdown which sometimes hinders my controller input.

True, the Slums challenges and Blue Discrict are intricate and need precise movements and frequent pivots. Still found boosters helpful because the game would often cancel my sprint or sometimes when you leap, dash, etc it cancels the sprint out and speed boosts ensure you’re still moving at a speedy pace. Plus you get used to it. Addicted to the buffs one might say, where the normal pace seemed slow lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NMErickson said:

True, the Slums challenges and Blue Discrict are intricate and need precise movements and frequent pivots. Still found boosters helpful because the game would often cancel my sprint or sometimes when you leap, dash, etc it cancels the sprint out and speed boosts ensure you’re still moving at a speedy pace. Plus you get used to it. Addicted to the buffs one might say, where the normal pace seemed slow lol.

I don't suppose you have any idea why sometimes you can press L3 and then start walking like an old man and then sometimes you sprint forward like an olympic sprinter?

Honestly have no idea sometimes why you can't run fast and other times running is just fine. Honestly makes me wonder if I will ever get Dying Light 2, looks like a decent game, but I just don't dig the Parkour stuff, whether it's in a challenge or not. Some of the tower climbing in the main game got a bit tedious after a while. Game feels way better of course when you get your grappling hook though.

As an update to my previous post, about 7h to get to Old Town which honestly could've gone slightly quicker, pyza suit is super easy to get within that mario easter egg and then the parkour challenges took about 2 hours.

Pro-tip: I had 2 challenges I had to redo because despite starting them at night time when I got to the end it was day already, but no problem, quick redo and it was done. Just make sure you always start early night so you can have room for 2-3 attempts before resting. 

Edited by Aodir
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I don't suppose you have any idea why sometimes you can press L3 and then start walking like an old man and then sometimes you sprint forward like an olympic sprinter?

Honestly have no idea sometimes why you can't run fast and other times running is just fine. Honestly makes me wonder if I will ever get Dying Light 2, looks like a decent game, but I just don't dig the Parkour stuff, whether it's in a challenge or not. Some of the tower climbing in the main game got a bit tedious after a while. Game feels way better of course when you get your grappling hook though.

Momentum maybe? There were times when movement was so fluid and fast where you’re flying through it like Spider-Man but then I’d make an awkward jump or grab ledge and it cancelled sprint and all the momentum I had gone and crawled to a snail’s pace. Just have to get going again. Yea, Parkour is not my thing either. I hated the idea of doing these and hated the first couple I did but then it grew on me. Was improving and it became a little more fun.

Edited by NMErickson

2 hours ago, JoesusHCrust said:

I’ve just finished tower run which took me around 4 hours. Very hard. I thought the slums one might have been easier because they are ‘medium’ instead of ‘hard’. I don’t know who came up with the difficulty ratings but so far, first assignment seems worse than any of the ‘hard’ routes and I’ve not done favela fever yet. 

honestly, I hate it when dlc adds challenges. It just feels like cheap filler. Worse still when dlc content is way harder than the main game, locking you out of 100%. Not confident I’ll get these done in the last day but I’ll keep trying! 

I do think the city ones are harder than slums, but of course that's just because the gliding and low gravity really does make those challenges in the city much easier but in the slums you're at ground level and having to dive in and out of buildings and there is less benefit.

I mean the Tower Run in the city one I still found really difficult and took me a fair few tries even with the suit, but being able to fly across 60% of the map... I can't imagine how much harder that would have been during the day let alone the night on normal playing conditions having to do all the jumps and climbing properly.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

Ugh, looking at when the event ends, it'll be 10 am tomorrow for me. If I start now, I would have to play the game until 4:30 am to get to the point where I get the Pyza Suit not to mention the amount of time remaining to do the challenge. I hate missing out on this, but I'll come back to it and just deal with a harder challenge when I have more time. I hate it when stuff like this happens to me.

I managed to do them without the wingsuit. The challenges in the Old Town were made a lot easier with the low gravity while a couple in the Slums were still a pain in the ass, namely the Favela Run one since there are a lot of spots in that where jumping really high puts you at a disadvantage. Otherwise most of the other Slums challenges were made annoying because sometimes I would get stuck or jump off something I didn't mean to.

It's kind of random they would decide to include this event but I guess I'm grateful they did since I know when I tried doing it legit even with the wingsuit it was just annoying and too much of a pain to where I didn't want to bother. Great game but I hate it when devs put in those kinds of challenge DLC's.

• Like 1

Well, I think I’m done. Unfortunately I didn’t get all the challenges completed. I ground hard to get through the Old Town challenges but when I realised the Slums were even harder, I ran out of energy! 

11 hours ago, POEman553 said:

Ugh, looking at when the event ends, it'll be 10 am tomorrow for me. If I start now, I would have to play the game until 4:30 am to get to the point where I get the Pyza Suit not to mention the amount of time remaining to do the challenge. I hate missing out on this, but I'll come back to it and just deal with a harder challenge when I have more time. I hate it when stuff like this happens to me.

honestly if you haven’t started the game yet, I wouldn’t bother. It’s not a terrible game, just very average. The main trophy list is quite achievable but not all that exciting. The DLC lists are harder. 

Overall, the game is nothing new or amazing. There are much better games out there! 

12 hours ago, POEman553 said:

Also this needs to be said for those who are stressing out over this: these events happen every few months. They aren't all that rare and most of them contain some positive change related to movement.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Also this needs to be said for those who are stressing out over this: these events happen every few months. They aren't all that rare and most of them contain some positive change related to movement.

Absolutely, I meant to mention this too. There’s proof in the video that was shared explaining how to get the pyza suit, it has a comment from 8 months ago referencing how the suit pairs well with the low gravity event. So it’s very likely another event with low gravity will come around again.

Cool, thanks! Did all of them within 30-40 minutes or so, most of them first try. Unlocked both trophies at once because I only did them at night and it was stackable. Gliding from checkpoint to checkpoint high up in the air sure made me chuckle.

11 minutes ago, igs63 said:

Absolutely, I meant to mention this too. There’s proof in the video that was shared explaining how to get the pyza suit, it has a comment from 8 months ago referencing how the suit pairs well with the low gravity event. So it’s very likely another event with low gravity will come around again.

There was one last year in August with low gravity and another one this January but not sure what effect they added.

I did it during "no fall damage" event and that was easy too.

One thing to say about that tho, I could see them slowing down the events. I wouldn’t expect events clockwork every couple months like they have had. Recently the final update was released, they shifted most resources to DL2, and even the most recent DLC took a 5 month break from the last released DLC. We used to get 1 or 2 DLC a month. It’s unfortunate but expected for a 7 year old game if we start to see less events and end of support eventually.

9 minutes ago, JohnFPSKing said:

Hey, does anybody know if the event is over or if it's still up right now? 

I got the trophies last night but I loaded up my game a few moments ago and the low gravity was still active. I'm guessing it's because I left my session suspended whilst the console was in rest mode, as it's gone after closing the application and starting it again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rebelkiller93 said:

I got the trophies last night but I loaded up my game a few moments ago and the low gravity was still active. I'm guessing it's because I left my session suspended whilst the console was in rest mode, as it's gone after closing the application and starting it again.

Damn. Thanks, I had a physical copy originally but cannot find it, I have the case though. ? I was gonna buy the game on sale yesterday for $15, the platinum edition but the sale ended and I didn't see the event going on until later during the day on the 9th as I've been busy to keep up with forums. I can do it either way, I was just hoping to get it out the way without any hassle. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NMErickson said:

One thing to say about that tho, I could see them slowing down the events. I wouldn’t expect events clockwork every couple months like they have had. Recently the final update was released, they shifted most resources to DL2, and even the most recent DLC took a 5 month break from the last released DLC. We used to get 1 or 2 DLC a month. It’s unfortunate but expected for a 7 year old game if we start to see less events and end of support eventually.

Yeah I mentioned this a while back and is the main reason I scrambled to get this done, this time around. The current promotion giving away all the DLC to anyone who bought the original game and also promotion of the 2nd game. Game has been out for nearly 7 years and the devs have given it a shit ton of support.

I don't think the devs will drop support for this game anytime soon, but honestly who knows. Scheduling events and marketing for it etc, all of these have be maintained by someone, and it costs. They might start to slowly wrapup support for their old game to focus their time on Dying Light 2.

And with this event coming around not every week or two, but every half a year, it's definitely best to get it out of the way sooner or later. Hopefully this isn't the last chance but well, anyone who missed it this time, definitely needs to subscribe to the Dying Light twitter or whatever to keep informed, I missed the event the other time around too and easily almost missed this one as well, if it wasn't for TiamaTiK posting here, then well I'd have probably be like omg how did I not know... and then been a bit annoyed about it later.

Even though up till a few days I was quite happy to never get these trophies.

Let's hope when they finally drop support for this game that they'll patch in all the "events", so you can just switch them all on and off yourself in the menus (like a debug mode of sorts) and then you can earn the trophies at your leisure anytime even when offline.

I still think having these events at all is a bit of dick move if I am being honest. Double XP weekends are a nice idea, certainly more tolerable because you get double boost which cuts down the grinding. But actually breaking the mechanics of the game for a week to make challenges easier, and then switching them back to the hard difficulty again. I don't find that very nice at all to be honest.

All the people who put in the hard work and got that super rare trophy are probably a bit miffed that plebs like me came along and got the trophy and now it's more common.

Well, maybe anyway, lol.

Edited by enaysoft