Who postponed purchasing Elden Ring out of Fear!

MikeOrator

elden ring is not that bad, and if you can do the first boss at level 40 without a summon and a weapon of +4 there is nothing, any soulsborne game could do to stump you. as he is harder then every hard boss with the exception of the nameless king from dark souls 3. 

in many cases it's just your perception of what other people consider to be hard that will actually defeat you, the games themselves are only hard the first time you play one, after that you kinda know what to expect. To that end elden ring is the best game to start as it gives you many options, but even if you don't use those OP options all the time, just you and a boss sometimes you will still learn more about soulslike gameplay making you better prepared for the others if you choose to play.

but because of summons the bosses in elden are fucking relentless with their combos , in the other games they don't attack anywhere near as much or as fast. 

In my case, its not "fear" of playing it, its my backlog; which is stupid big on its own. Besides, with the smashing success for this game, I wouldn't be surprised if there's DLC for it. Also, I'm waiting for it to go on sale this Black Friday/Christmas. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

I bought it day 1 and still haven't played it yet... because backload

why did I buy it if I knew I wouldn't play it anytime soon?.. because old habits die hard I suppose. I really need to stop doing this

This is me in a nut shell, I brought so many games close to the day they were released yet they haven't been played yet, Elden Ring is the same for me, brought but not played because been catching up on the backlog.. which is a bloody lot at the moment! I'll get round to this game soon!.. once I finish DS2, BB, DS3, Sekiro and Demon's Souls >.>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The day I find myself choosing what games to play based on potential difficulty, or trophy rarity, or length, or completion percentage…

…if I find myself choosing games to “improve my profile”, rather than simply asking myself “does this look fun?”…

that will be the day I know I’ve lost.

At that point, I wouldn’t be a gamer - casual or otherwise.

I’d just be a statistical accountant, maintaining a colourful online spreadsheet via a controller.

Truth.

• Like 4

I deliberately didn't purchase the game out of fear.

Fear that I would push my backlog further behind. I've learned a lot of restraint the past few years and I don't impulsively buy games like I once did. It's difficult to enjoy a new game when I have a shelf full of half-completed games and stacks that have never even been opened. Hell, I still have Dark Souls 2 & 3 that I haven't played yet, so there's no rush to throw $60+ at a game on release.

I know Elden Ring is a good game, because all my casual friends who only play Call of Duty and 2K/Fifa were all playing it at release and wouldn't shut up about it.

• Like 1

Some games you know will be Game of the Year category right off the cuff, Elden Ring might even make the Game of the Decade. Like a new type of Zelda game for this generation. It's enough to drop everything you are doing right now and play it.

Nothing will top playing right at-release, aside from friends playing, but also learning things right as the community does. The naysayers who wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole said stupid jank like "oh you need to go to the internet to beat this game". Nah, the thrill of following NPCs, or just riding around oh a cave right here, lets explore it. Then you find out you found a bastion for upgrading weapons much easier. This kind of immersion kept me hooked hours on end.

Open world games are never going to be the same. Devs have been back seating too much with way points in your face and telling you to do this now and the like. Not here.

As of today, FIFA22 finally knocked the PS4 version of Elden RIng off the "Popular games this week" section.

Has been an impressive 9 weeks for the game, with the PS5 version still top of the list.

• Like 2

No fear, just pure anticipation. I planned to buy Elden Ring sometime soon after release because I couldn’t really afford to drop $90 on it right when it came out. But with the endless backlog, games I’ve prioritized for PSNP events, and my quite recent but very crippling addiction to Deep Rock Galactic, I just keep pushing it further away.

However, my friend has had some exams cancelled and has a 2 week block of free time right now which might be our best chance to play the everloving shit out of it together as much as possible, so I will likely start within a few days or the next week or so.

I can’t lie though, the timing really sucks. As much as I have been looking forward to it and as great as it looks, I’m currently having more fun gaming than than I’ve had in ages playing DRG and so somebody is going to have to pry my fingers from the controller because I simply don’t want to stop playing it. Not even for Elden Ring. 

I suppose trading one masterpiece for another for a few weeks isn’t the worst thing in the world though. And funny cuz I bet you anything in a few weeks I’ll be having trouble putting down Elden Ring to go back to DRG. First world problems. Eh? ?

15 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Fear of a nightmarishly common platinum and, whoa! Turns out my fears came to pass; it's like 40%

I never understood this thought. So you will only play a game if its rare or ultra rare?

For me, i haven't bought Elden Ring because of my backlog. I have enough games im not playing, and i wanna clear out some of those first :) 

Second, i wanna wait until i get my ps5. Newer games, i will rather experience first time on ps5. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomataEighty9 said:

I never understood this thought. So you will only play a game if its rare or ultra rare?

For me, i haven't bought Elden Ring because of my backlog. I have enough games im not playing, and i wanna clear out some of those first :) 

Second, i wanna wait until i get my ps5. Newer games, i will rather experience first time on ps5. 

Well, I'm partially joking. In truth I haven't found any real interest towards Souls games since after DS3. Sekiro, Demon's Souls Remake, and Elden Ring... I don't know, I just don't want to play them the way I wanted to play the other games. I wish I did because I "miss" them but I can't play them just because either. 

But no it's also true that I am sorry to see how common the rarity of this game is. I don't want a common plat on my account but as this game probably won't become THAT common (being 50%+) it's not like I WOULDN'T play it if I actually wanted the plat

1 minute ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Well, I'm partially joking. In truth I haven't found any real interest towards Souls games since after DS3. Sekiro, Demon's Souls Remake, and Elden Ring... I don't know, I just don't want to play them the way I wanted to play the other games. I wish I did because I "miss" them but I can't play them just because either. 

But no it's also true that I am sorry to see how common the rarity of this game is. I don't want a common plat on my account but as this game probably won't become THAT common (being 50%+) it's not like I WOULDN'T play it if I actually wanted the plat

I can understand wanting a challenge, or a rare plat, for the sake of it, but NOT playing a game, because it's not rare enough, that seems extreme to me. 

If i see a game i really wanna play, i don't care if the rarity is 99%, i just wanna play what i wanna play :) 

But no "hate", i just don't follow how that can be a thing for you :o 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TomataEighty9 said:

I can understand wanting a challenge, or a rare plat, for the sake of it, but NOT playing a game, because it's not rare enough, that seems extreme to me. 

If i see a game i really wanna play, i don't care if the rarity is 99%, i just wanna play what i wanna play :) 

But no "hate", i just don't follow how that can be a thing for you :o 

If this account was the only way I played games then maybe I'd feel stifled by how I curate it but I have another account for games I don't feel like getting the plat in as well as a PC. I don't treat this account as casual gaming and I like it better that way, but if I want casual gaming there are plenty of other places for me to do that. 

3 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

If this account was the only way I played games then maybe I'd feel stifled by how I curate it but I have another account for games I don't feel like getting the plat in as well as a PC. I don't treat this account as casual gaming and I like it better that way, but if I want casual gaming there are plenty of other places for me to do that. 

If i may ask, just of curiosity :)

What is the point of a 100% profile, if you cherry pick games? 

It just seems a little too easy? Like winning a 100m run after you drugged the rest of the field with sleeping pills? :) 

The real 100% profile, would be one where you play everything you want, and fight for the 100%? or? 

Im not saying you don't play hard games, checked your profile and there's some tough ones! :) 

Edited by TomataEighty9
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TomataEighty9 said:

The real 100% profile, would be one where you play everything you want, and fight for the 100%? or? 

some ppl (the self righteous elitists who care way too much about what games other ppl play) would call him a fakepletionist lol

5 minutes ago, TomataEighty9 said:

It just seems a little too easy? Like winning a 100m run after you drugged the rest of the field with sleeping pills? :) 

Im not saying you don't play hard games, checked your profile and there's some tough ones! :) 

It's fine. To even most people I grant that it seems like I'm splitting hairs here but if my account was only the kinds of games I'd rather not HAVE on my account, then yes you'd probably be right. But the games I include are exactly those that are fights, or are "dangerous" at this point, or are just games I want to play that aren't like, 50% plats, of which there are enough for a lifetime. For instance, I wrote the trophy guide with CelestialRequiem for Armored Core Verdict Day some relative handful of months ago, and for a few weeks now it's been impossible due to server shutdowns for PS3 and PC FromSoftware games of older generations. It was a risk to do it when we did but I went for it and got lucky. I just did Killzone Mercenary - a million year old, online Vita game that well could have expired while I was playing it. I got lucky and it didn't but my account as I know it could have gone bye bye. Games like Adventure Time, I mean they're possible sure but they're so excruciatingly buggy that finishing them is almost nothing short of a miracle and at times I thought I'd really boned myself. But I got through it. I have lots of plans, lots of old games and hard games to do that are far more risky than really anything in categories of games I might have played but just don't like the idea of on my profile. I did the Souls games + Bloodborne that I wanted to do and I'm happy with them. I'm about to start the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy because I love those games and XIII-2 is close to 30% but I don't care because that game is going to look great on my account.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

some ppl (the self righteous elitists who care way too much about what games other ppl play) would call him a fakepletionist lol

Well i guess you might be right. I don't care enough to call people names over how they choose to play games. Im just curious :) 

1 minute ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

It's fine. To even most people I grant that it seems like I'm splitting hairs here but if my account was only the kinds of games I'd rather not HAVE on my account, then yes you'd probably be right. But the games I include are exactly those that are fights, or are "dangerous" at this point, or are just games I want to play that aren't like, 50% plats, of which there are enough for a lifetime. For instance, I wrote the trophy guide with CelestialRequiem for Armored Core Verdict Day some relative handful of months ago, and for a few weeks now it's been impossible due to server shutdowns for PS3 and PC FromSoftware games of older generations. It was a risk to do it when we did but I went for it and got lucky. I just did Killzone Mercenary - a million year old, online Vita game that well could have expired while I was playing it. I got lucky and it didn't but my account as I know it could have gone bye bye. Games like Adventure Time, I mean they're possible sure but they're so excruciatingly buggy that finishing them is almost nothing short of a miracle and at times I thought I'd really boned myself. But I got through it. I have lots of plans, lots of old games and hard games to do that are far more risky than really anything in categories of games I might have played but just don't like the idea of on my profile. I did the Souls games + Bloodborne that I wanted to do and I'm happy with them. I'm about to start the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy because I love those games and XIII-2 is close to 30% but I don't care because that game is going to look great on my account.

Oh i see :) I can follow you now. You want your profile to look a certain way? and have a challenge. Cool :) 

I think it's also weird to assume that people who have 100% profiles don't play anything else. @Deadly_Ha_Ha and I both have gaming PCs; and I game often on my Switch and even my PS2. 

If he really wants to play Elden Ring, he can play it through another means without it having to be on his account.