Who postponed purchasing Elden Ring out of Fear!

MikeOrator

1 hour ago, CelestialRequiem said:

If he really wants to play Elden Ring, he can play it through another means without it having to be on his account.

Of course, that's his choice :) 

I just find it funny, since MY profile, i see as my gaming history. But you can, of course, make your list, just ho you want it :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomataEighty9 said:

Of course, that's his choice :) 

I just find it funny, since MY profile, i see as my gaming history. But you can, of course, make your list, just ho you want it :) 

They could be folks who are primarily PC gamers.

I struggle with balancing multiple profiles, coming as someone who gamed on PC until the PlayStation exclusives became too tempting to say no.  I can see the appeal of having a nicely curated profile here given that their other platforms might be more..."messy".

Edited by DrunkenEngineer

Glad you enjoyed it, OP.  It was my first Fromsoft game and I couldn't put it down. It's addictive because the combat is so satisfying and the difficulty is fair.  The many different options and tools at your disposal are incredible as well. 

The world design is so beautiful and immersive, especially the final area. I hope to plaitnum it again on the PS4 version but I've got so many games in my backlog that I only do double plats for shorter games now.

• 5 months later...

I haven't bought it because of fear, yes.

Fear because the last FS game I bought, Sekiro, made me lose interest in the whole hobby, for many months after I platted it I felt I wasn't enjoying videogames so much, all except the yakuza saga (which I love) felt so bland and dull... the 2nd half of that year and the 1st half of the next one, I barely played.

I fear when I end playing with ER I could even completely stop having fun with other games, when I finish playing FS games I have a void I cannot cover it even with other soulslikes, I feel they are bland imitations, including Nioh even if I consider it a decent game.

I bought Day 1 with the intention of playing later because of other games I was pre-occupied with at the time and was shooting for a leaderboard spot. Currently playing now and savoring it. GOWR is on the horizon so I will start playing that one too. These two games will most likely be played simultaneously and will wrap my year up. I wanted to say that I played, arguably, the best two games to release this year so I can have an informed opinion for GOTY.

• 4 weeks later...

Its an amazing game, it has some interesting moments and yeah it can be frustrating to die and die and die(stupid optional desert boss), i was so upset i decided to fresh up playing some ghost of tsushima, and both games are amazing in their vision and way of gameplay, now that i restarted playing and i cant stop playing elden ring because its so fun and its good to be back again with less frustration

Its not the challenge with the game, its the challenge with myself what i think makes this kind of games fun

Not because of fear, but because of wallet and backlog.  I haven't bought a game at launch in years.  I am constantly living 5 to 14 years in the past gaming-wise.  Right now, I am playing the original Demon's Souls which is 13 years old and Persona 4 Golden which is I dunno 8 to 10 years old.  Also Uncharted: Lost Legacy which has to be about 5 years old now.  I don't buy games at launch or even fairly new.  No reason to.  I'll buy and play Elden Ring in about 4 to 5 years from now.  I save A LOT of money. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Spider-Man916 said:

Not because of fear, but because of wallet and backlog.  I haven't bought a game at launch in years.  I am constantly living 5 to 14 years in the past gaming-wise.  Right now, I am playing the original Demon's Souls which is 13 years old and Persona 4 Golden which is I dunno 8 to 10 years old.  Also Uncharted: Lost Legacy which has to be about 5 years old now.  I don't buy games at launch or even fairly new.  No reason to.  I'll buy and play Elden Ring in about 4 to 5 years from now.  I save A LOT of money. 

Honestly, that's the best way to be. You play the best version of the game for the cheapest price.  Let the beta testers walk so you can run.

I too have Lost Legacy in the backlog and it will be a good few years until I get to it.

Other than Naughty Dog, most games released at launch have minor or major technical issues that will inevitably be patched down the road. Even the recently released God of War Ragnarok has some immersion breaking issues.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Honestly, that's the best way to be. You play the best version of the game for the cheapest price.  Let the beta testers walk so you can run.

I too have Lost Legacy in the backlog and it will be a good few years until I get to it.

Other than Naughty Dog, most games released at launch have minor or major technical issues that will inevitably be patched down the road. Even the recently released God of War Ragnarok has some immersion breaking issues.

???Exactly!  I've been gaming for well over a decade now and I've seen too many games released at launch in a broken, half-finished, utterly crappy state.  Back in, I think, 2011 there was an Assassin's Creed released where the NPC character models weren't finished; they were skeletons.  In 2011, Bethesda took the cheap and easy way with Skyrim on PS3 and just ported it from the XBOX 360.  As we all know, it didn't work at all.  More recently, there was Cyberpunk 2077 at launch.  There is just no reason at all to buy at launch.  I learned that lesson.  Wait two to three years, buy the game on sale and you're getting a game that works perfectly and has had all the updates to fix it and you save a lot of money. 

I'm sure to hear from someone now with the "But but but....what about an online multiplayer game?  The online might shut down before you ever get to play it."  I say that's great.  I guess I didn't have to play it.  You can't play every game released. 

• Like 1

I actually put it off because I got a bit tired of gaming/trophy hunting. And I didn't really like DS Remake as much as I hoped I would and wondered whether it was just a worse game than the others or I got tired of this genre as well. So in hopes of not ruining my ER experience by playing it when I'm burned out, I put it off. 

1 hour ago, Spider-Man916 said:

1f4af.png1f44d-1f3fb.pngExactly!  I've been gaming for well over a decade now and I've seen too many games released at launch in a broken, half-finished, utterly crappy state.  Back in, I think, 2011 there was an Assassin's Creed released where the NPC character models weren't finished; they were skeletons.  In 2011, Bethesda took the cheap and easy way with Skyrim on PS3 and just ported it from the XBOX 360.  As we all know, it didn't work at all.  More recently, there was Cyberpunk 2077 at launch.  There is just no reason at all to buy at launch.  I learned that lesson.  Wait two to three years, buy the game on sale and you're getting a game that works perfectly and has had all the updates to fix it and you save a lot of money. 

I'm sure to hear from someone now with the "But but but....what about an online multiplayer game?  The online might shut down before you ever get to play it."  I say that's great.  I guess I didn't have to play it.  You can't play every game released. 

Yep, it was Assassin's Creed Unity in 2014. While I personally didn't have any major issues (other than the game itself being very boring) I remember the framerate being very unstable. Also, back then releasing a game in that state was seen as shocking. Now it's relatively tame in comparison to some of the monstrosities we get today.

Even the multiplayer games, provided you don't plan on playing them forever, can wait. The reason why I've enjoyed every Battlefield multiplayer so far is specifically because I played them about 2 years after they were released so I miss out on the community anger around nonsense like servers and poor hit detection and spawn killing etc. Yes, it does mean you won't know the maps as well and are essentially behind but what's the point of being top dog in a competitive game you're not enjoying simply because it's unplayable? And if a game can't get its crap together before the servers go down then, like you say, I never needed to play it in the first place.

As for Elden Ring, other than the poor frame rate, I experienced no bugs but I definitely could have waited longer to get a more stable frame rate.

• Like 1