Was this game over-hyped?

PotrikBerger

? Well, to each his own, but IMO

Transistor > Pyre > Bastion > Hades

… but all four of them are fantastic games, and each easily placed on any list of the best games of their respective generations - so arguing over which is superior feels a little redundant, given how high quality they all are!

I came to Hades a little late in the game.  I didn't know much about it.  Was looking for a new PS5 game and liked the animation style.  Really delighted by how much fun I ended up having with it.  I became aware after I had purchased it that it's a very highly regarded game.  That surprised me a little.  It's not something that screams game of the year to me, but it's still very good.

When I rate a game out of 10, I'm more thinking of what that game's developer was trying to accomplish.  From that stand point, I think Hades is a solid 8 or 9/10.  I don't think that diminishes a different game that also got a 8 or 9/10.  In my opinion the rating is just a way to express how you feel about that particular game, not to rank/compare it to others.

Not overhyped at all.

First game in a decade I bought blindly, solely due to hype and looking at some screenshots and liking the art style.

Didn't stop until I had the platinum. This was a year ago. Considering buying the PS4 version now to get a second run at platting this.