New Firmware Update 3.74 (No, seriously)

ElevExplorer64

I call bad business decision. Sony doesn’t care about the PS3 or Vita anymore. Yet they’ll throw crap like this to piss off players like myself who still play the older consoles. 

Meanwhile, PS Now has a lot missing from its library, and isn’t available in a lot of countries. 

• Like 1

Just now, janzor88 said:

It has more to do with inadequate security on their legacy systems, than Sony wanting to piss off their player base.
Not everything is a conspiracy by Jim Ryan to ruin your life.

It’s been quite some time since I logged onto my Vita and I just now installed the update. 

Granted, these consoles are old technology now. There was no warning ahead of time, but when only a select few people play your legacy consoles, you don’t have to care.

I just want to play my games in peace without jumping through hoops. Unless there was a recent wave of hackers, I see no reason to implement this change when these legacy consoles are practically on life support.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

It’s been quite some time since I logged onto my Vita and I just now installed the update. 

Granted, these consoles are old technology now. There was no warning ahead of time, but when only a select few people play your legacy consoles, you don’t have to care.

I just want to play my games in peace without jumping through hoops. Unless there was a recent wave of hackers, I see no reason to implement this change when these legacy consoles are practically on life support.

Legacy systems contain many attack vectors for hackers, which is unfortunately why Sony are slowly shutting down the PS3/Vita.

This is from a former Sony employee who worked close to the Vita team:

Third, there's more to running a digital storefront than just keeping servers online. Payment systems require a lot of technical maintenance and deprecated systems provide easy attack vectors for sensitive information. And there's a TON of work involved in making sure everyone gets their money when sales are processed.

More reading here.

• Like 2