PS3 (4.89) & Vita (3.74) Require Device Password & Remove Account Creation on System

Maxie_M0us3

19 hours ago, StacFace92 said:

For anyone confused by this - it will be related to data protection. 

When you create a PSN account you provide a lot of personally identifiable information (name, date of birth, address, email address). Not sure about the laws everywhere, but a lot of countries will have laws such as GDPR, which require companies to adequately safeguard that data. 

We've already seen changes such as only being able to purchase with PSN credit on PS3/Vita, because they couldn't support Strong Customer Authentication for payments on those consoles. It's no surprise that these consoles may also not support the latest technologies for safeguarding personal data. 

Sony haven't just decided to make account creation more awkward for the lolz. 

In short Sony are protecting the fact that their clients accounts have been hacked that many times on the PS3 it's laughable. Seems a little odd adding this a year after the last mass hack.

12 hours ago, DaivRules said:

No, it’s implementing forced security for everyone who has been lax on taking their device and account security seriously on significantly aged consoles. 

The discussion in this thread is pretty wild but if I were to guess, this is purely a pragmatic move -- they are reducing the footprint of the legacy code they need to maintain. Nothing to do with security and other ideas flying around.

By reducing some of the functionality, they make it easier to maintain in the future and make sure it continues to operate. Those poor guys who have to maintain 15 year old codebase most likely just wanted to get rid of an old authentication service. xD

• Like 4

If Sony can patch a PS3 CPU hacked system flaw in 2011 or so, I'm sure they can fix the security or whatever is the issue now, in 2022.

The Vita and PS3 archichtecure created in 2006 and 2011 are going to be very different, why would both need to be ended together?

Five years difference, how would their systems suffer from the same issue that somehow doesn't affect the PS4?

Sure I don't know the technical details of the matter, but it's pretty clear that this is incremental planned obsolescence of existing systems and nothing more.

Sony didn't shut down the PS3 and Vita store like they originally said they would, but they are certainly doing everything else they cannot possible get away slowly but surely behind the scenes. As much as they can get away with anyway. They just don't care.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

Has anyone had trouble even logging into Sony's site to do all this? I've been trying to change my password since yesterday afternoon and they just won't send the link to my email. I've tried on my PS4 and PC to reset it/log in with zero luck. 

I always change the password via ps4.

6 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

I tried on my PS4 and it just directed me to the website. I didn't look around too hard though, How do you do it directly from the console?

Account Management (has your avatar in option) > Account Information > Security. From here you will need to enter the current password, and then you can proceed to change the password.

1 hour ago, Floorkiller74 said:

Has anyone had trouble even logging into Sony's site to do all this? I've been trying to change my password since yesterday afternoon and they just won't send the link to my email. I've tried on my PS4 and PC to reset it/log in with zero luck. 

Yes I also had trouble logging into Vita Yesterday.

12 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

Account Management (has your avatar in option) > Account Information > Security. From here you will need to enter the current password, and then you can proceed to change the password.

The problem is I can't recall my old password. I changed it in Feb, and I can't recall what I changed it to (I wrote it down, but who knows where that is). That's why I was trying to change it again. 

5 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

The problem is I can't recall my old password. I changed it in Feb, and I can't recall what I changed it to (I wrote it down, but who knows where that is). That's why I was trying to change it again. 

do you still have access to the email linked to psn?

Just now, kevao97 said:

do you still have access to the email linked to psn?

Of course. The problem is that II keep trying to submit password change requests, and none of them are going to my email (Yes, I check my junk/spam folders) I tried a few times yesterday and a bunch of times this morning. 

Just now, Floorkiller74 said:

Of course. The problem is that II keep trying to submit password change requests, and none of them are going to my email (Yes, I check my junk/spam folders) I tried a few times yesterday and a bunch of times this morning. 

now i understand better. maybe it's a problem on Sony's part. damn, forgetting passwords sucks, i have 3-4 passwords memorized for years.

try contacting support via chat if you can't recover. ?

Just now, kevao97 said:

now i understand better. maybe it's a problem on Sony's part. damn, forgetting passwords sucks, i have 3-4 passwords memorized for years.

try contacting support via chat if you can't recover. 1f44d.png

Yep, lol. I'll look the paper I wrote it down on 1st..... I'm hoping to avoid dealing with support, lol. Thanks, I was just seeing if anyone else was having this issue or if it's just my dumb luck. 

Seems like a good idea -- security-wise -- to have less points of entry for account creation. I mean, we all probably have accounts already, and if someone wants to make one just log in on the PC or another system.

As long as I can still play the games I purchased and sync the trophies of them, don't see this as too much of a big deal.

• Like 2

If somehow your only devices are a PS3 or vita and nothing else in 2022 and you can't access the browser on a PC/Laptop for account management then maybe you can use the web browser app that is on the respective consoles and visit https://www.playstation.com/acct/device-password to setup your device password. That is assuming that they let you sign into PSN on the console's web browsers as well, been years since I used a console web browser but the PS3/Vita do let you connect to the internet without being signed into PSN. 

• Like 2

Hmm, trying to get the whole picture, so in some way this is to kinda bother people who is selling ps3s on ebay with thousands of games pre-installed? I mean it's not the same create all the amount the accounts you want (how it was before) in a system that now that we need to go through authentication methods for new accounts.

I mean, I can be wrong, I just thought about it.

7 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

Hmm, trying to get the whole picture, so in some way this is to kinda bother people who is selling ps3s on ebay with thousands of games pre-installed? I mean it's not the same create all the amount the accounts you want (how it was before) in a system that now that we need to go through authentication methods for new accounts.

I mean, I can be wrong, I just thought about it.

I’m pretty sure you can’t go on PSN with those consoles, so this wouldn’t affect anyone in that situation.

Although I’m also pretty sure eBay shuts down any of those listings as soon as they’re reported. 

Wasn't really worried too much about the contents of the update, I was more worried about the update process itself, but it worked out flawlessly on my ps3 (Had some issues with ps3 motherboard lately).

Had to setup device passwords for my 2 alt accounts since those didn't have 2FA, thankfully I don't need to setup 2FA to generate those device passwords, would be very annoying to do so. My main account I didn't had to do a thing, 2FA and device password have been on for 5 years now...

All that said, although it's a bit annoying to go through all this setup to just log on in PSN on PS3 and Vita, I really welcome this update because it adds a layer of security that those legacy devices really don't have the same level of security of a ps4/ps5 or modern compute & browser. Also it means Sony still is interested in keeping PSN alive on legacy device for more years, so that's always a good thing.

On a side note, I believe that sellers of those 'shared' accounts will have to go through a lot of trouble to generate device passwords for each machine they sell those accounts for...

• Like 3

Updated and well but ohh God, what a kick in the jewels that was. For a damnable no good reason, i wasn't able to log in to my account on PC (some security issue) so i had to change the password for logging in. Then, i had to log to my associated account to fetch the code that Sony sent me to create another password AND THEN, after logging in to my ID's account, i was able to create the fu..rious device password (thanks to Heaven that PS4 has no changes and only had to do that with one single PS3 console). The other good part of this mumbo jumbo is that i avoided tech support from Sony.

53 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Lmao they don't even remove auctions from people selling accounts with Plus subscriptions...

Getting a bit off topic here, but: Are there special secret coded search terms to get to these types of listings? I only found one listing advertising anything similar to a console "with thousands of preinstalled games" and couldn't find any PSN accounts, let alone any with Plus subscriptions. 

And reporting a listing definitely resulted in the single new listing advertising pirated games, even though it was significantly less than thousands.

It makes me doubt that annoying the ebay sellers is much of a motivation for these firmware updates.