PS3 (4.89) & Vita (3.74) Require Device Password & Remove Account Creation on System

Maxie_M0us3

3 minutes ago, aimeraya said:

Seriously i don't understand this description of update.

It means that we can no longer register a new account on PSV or PS3? Or we can't even create an exisiting account on PSV or PS3?

As of right now I haven’t played my PS3 since 1 AM PST when I was trying out Gran Turismo 6. So I can’t give you the details.

On 2022-05-10 at 9:20 AM, aimeraya said:

It means that we can no longer register a new account on PSV or PS3? Or we can't even create an exisiting account on PSV or PS3?

You can now only create new accounts on PS4, PS5, PC or mobile.

Edited by MaxieM0us3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

The only thing I can think of is that this could screw up self boosting. If it's 2FA you need a legal cellphone number.

For device setup passwords you're able to generate them on the web browser without a mobile phone. I decided to update a PS3 and I was able to sign into accounts on it without a device setup password so maybe this change only affects new accounts that you add to PS3 consoles. 

2 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

The only thing I can think of is that this could screw up self boosting. If it's 2FA you need a legal cellphone number.

Doesn't Sony support TOTP codes as well? (Something like Google Authenticator app for mobile phones.)

Otherwise yeah, if you need unique number for each account.

1 minute ago, HusKy said:

Doesn't Sony support TOTP codes as well? (Something like Google Authenticator app for mobile phones.)

Otherwise yeah, if you need unique number for each account.

Those 6 digit codes will not work on ps3. It has to be a device setup password from the web.

• Like 1

Just now, johncnstntn__ said:

Those 6 digit codes will not work on ps3. It has to be a device setup password from the web.

Right, but the case I was thinking about was: if I create fresh account and I'm forced to enable 2FA *and* Sony forces me to use unique phone number.