PS3 (4.89) & Vita (3.74) Require Device Password & Remove Account Creation on System

Maxie_M0us3

1 minute ago, HusKy said:

Right, but the case I was thinking about was: if I create fresh account and I'm forced to enable 2FA *and* Sony forces me to use unique phone number.

You don't need that. You can use google authenticator to login on your PC/Laptop, and generate a device password there.

1 minute ago, HusKy said:

Right, but the case I was thinking about was: if I create fresh account and I'm forced to enable 2FA *and* Sony forces me to use unique phone number.

The only workaround I can think of using the QR code on the ps4 to register your account to the authenticator program then switch to the web and get your setup passwword. Talk about user-friendly.

For everyone worried about this. You don't have to.

1:) go to https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/ , under "security" tab activate 2step verification by using the google authenticator app on your cellphone

2:) on the same website under "security" u can now generate a device password.

People without a cellphone / PC might have problems now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheRealHardyBoy1 said:

You don't need that. You can use google authenticator to login on your PC/Laptop, and generate a device password there.

Yeah, that's what I was not sure enough - so Sony now supports TOTP (e.g. Google Auth) for 2FA as an alternative to HOTP (SMS codes).

Anyway, going offtopic now. Seems like nothing major really changes for PS3 users.

I just wanted to know what all the doomsayers in this thread were worked up about? Turns out nothing, like usual. xD

2 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Anyway, going offtopic now. Seems like nothing major really changes for PS3 users.

I just wanted to know what all the doomsayers in this thread were worked up about? Turns out nothing, like usual. xD

It’s just another inconvenient move by Sony, on top of other moves in the past for legacy systems. It doesn’t affect me a bit but I can see others that it bothers.

Edited by MaxieM0us3
  • Like 1

Just now, MaxieM0us3 said:

It’s just another inconvenient move by Sony, on top of other moves in the past for legacy systems.

You got it right. It's a legacy system that is being gradually phased out.

3 minutes ago, ChenZheCHN said:

So what about Vita Trick? Will it be available after updating?

Oh my PSTV is still Whitelisted.

Hear that Sony? Yes I whitelisted my PSTV permanently since that other "Phase out" from that system, the one that blocked half the Library. OFW mind you.

Edited by Z1MZUM

Honestly? Sony can turn off whatever they want from the Playstation 3, as long as:

do not prevent trophy synchronization;

do not prevent downloads.

I'm not saying to go and turn off psn etc, but if those functions are still being secured, so be it.

3 hours ago, Sergen said:

without a device setup password so maybe this change only affects new accounts that you add to PS3 consoles. 

Device password has been required for adding new accounts to PS3/Vita for a while now. 

31 minutes ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Device password has been required for adding new accounts to PS3/Vita for a while now. 

Only for accounts with 2FA activated though. This update suggests ALL accounts will require a device password now, regardless of whether 2FA is activated or not.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 1

You don't need to turn on 2FA to be able to create a device setup password

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/account/ps3-ps-vita-device-setup-password/

How to generate a Device Setup Password

To sign in to PlayStation Network on PS3™ consoles or PS Vita systems, you need a Device Setup Password

1. Sign in to Account Management.
  2.  Select Generate New Password.
  3. Write down, screenshot, or print out your Device Setup Password and save it somewhere safe. You can now use your Device Setup Password to sign in on PS3 consoles or PS Vita systems.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

You don't need to turn on 2FA to be able to create a device setup password

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/account/ps3-ps-vita-device-setup-password/

How to generate a Device Setup Password

To sign in to PlayStation Network on PS32122.png consoles or PS Vita systems, you need a Device Setup Password

1. Sign in to Account Management.
  2.  Select Generate New Password.
  3. Write down, screenshot, or print out your Device Setup Password and save it somewhere safe. You can now use your Device Setup Password to sign in on PS3 consoles or PS Vita systems.

Interesting, they changed it with today's PS3 update then. You definitely needed the 2FA before.

• Like 1

I think now it requires a different Device Setup Password for PS3 and Vita, i.e. you can't use the same one for both systems.

Also the Account Management page says that the password is not being used even if you're actually using it.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

Probably unrelated but I recent got a phising message on discord couple weeks ago from someone asking me to use my ps3 to create an account for them for ps+.  Not sure if there could be a connection here or not, but the timing is coincidental. 

3 minutes ago, damcrac5 said:

Probably unrelated but I recent got a phising message on discord couple weeks ago from someone asking me to use my ps3 to create an account for them for ps+.  Not sure if there could be a connection here or not, but the timing is coincidental. 

How are they supposed to use your PS3? A physical device in YOUR house? If the phisher really said that, it doesn't make any sense to me ?

Edited by Lance_87

16 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

I think now it requires a different Device Setup Password for PS3 and Vita, i.e. you can't use the same one for both systems.

Also the Account Management page says that the password is not being used even if you're actually using it.

You always had to use a different device password per device