PS3 (4.89) & Vita (3.74) Require Device Password & Remove Account Creation on System

Maxie_M0us3

11 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

No, you must use the device password. You must insert it ONCE on the PS3 anyway, not every single time.

i forgot to click "save password"

still this is a bit of a pain in the ass. if i forget my device password then i have to jump on a pc everytime to get a new one

9 minutes ago, Smashero said:

Last option. I am using this since months. I generated it once for every single PS3 I own and assigned them. No need for any SMS usage or typing new everytime.

Damn, ninja'd. :/

now im having the problem where the device id works for my main name on one ps3, but does not work on my other ps3

Edited by melodicmizery

21 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

i forgot to click "save password"

still this is a bit of a pain in the ass. if i forget my device password then i have to jump on a pc everytime to get a new one

now im having the problem where the device id works for my main name on one ps3, but does not work on my other ps3

You can revoke and make a new one.

alright i think i got this figured out

for existing accounts, you dont need to turn 2 step on

you need a device id for EACH console. so instead of your password you enter the device id. so even though your using the same screen name, youll need a different device id for each ps3.

ive only tested this on 2 ps3s. but i have 5 ps3s. so im hoping they give you a unlimited amount of device ids

another thing that sucks is i have a few alts i forgot the pw to, i just have them auto saved on the ps3. they arent that important but still im going to lose them now and have to create new ones.

Edited by melodicmizery

6 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

looking back in april it says all console id's were leaked. i wonder if this has anything to do with it. so they dont get sued again this is their solution

Do you have any reputable news sources for facts of a leak, or just the speculations posted online? Also, any leaks to where they were sued? I’m not sure what “sued again” is referring to. 

Todays change is most likely just the next step in the same vein as not allowing credit card payments directly from the consoles. It’s completely in line with all the PII and PIFI regulations happening throughout all companies over the last decade. You’d have a much harder time tying this to conspiracy theories than just looking at every technology company’s current security focuses. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Do you have any reputable news sources for facts of a leak, or just the speculations posted online? Also, any leaks to where they were sued? I’m not sure what “sued again” is referring to. 

I think he's talking about the 2011 outage because i don't recall anything about lawsuits caused by the IDs leak.

Yikes, I’m guessing the update is mandatory to do anything (sync trophies, use the store, etc)? 

Not happy about this, especially since I don’t even have a Vita yet and people seem to be saying conflicting things about whether or not you need to do this for brand new accounts only (I have a handful of “old” accounts I’ve never signed into on the PS3 I’m using ATM) and whether or not you have to do it only once. 

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Todays change is most likely just the next step in the same vein as not allowing credit card payments directly from the consoles. It’s completely in line with all the PII and PIFI regulations happening throughout all companies over the last decade. You’d have a much harder time tying this to conspiracy theories than just looking at every technology company’s current security focuses. 

i didnt post any links because the one i found on gamefaqs said it was a discussion on psn profiles lmao. (havent had time to go through the 13 pages yet) so i just figured it was something others knew that i missed.

https://stealthoptional.com/news/sony-ps3-id-leak-possibly-behind-mass-playstation-network-console-bans/

actually just google "ps3 id leaks" and it comes up everywhere. as for how verified the source is i dunno, i guess its some random hacker who said it. hes prob not going to go into to much detail. but look what happened with little big planet

sued as in otheros payouts. and when the big hack happened when they went offline and data could of been stolen that could of turned into a huge lawsuit. im sure they are trying to prevent that from happening again because next time it could be costly.

Edited by melodicmizery

Just now, melodicmizery said:

as for how verified the source is i dunno

Source not verified, but look how easy it is to fabricate a story and have it spread around the internet and be accepted as fact by people looking for confirmation bias. 

2 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

Yikes, I’m guessing the update is mandatory to do anything (sync trophies, use the store, etc)? 

Not happy about this, especially since I don’t even have a Vita yet and people seem to be saying conflicting things about whether or not you need to do this for brand new accounts only (I have a handful of “old” accounts I’ve never signed into on the PS3 I’m using ATM) and whether or not you have to do it only once. 

Most firmware updates are mandatory, this is no different. 

Probably a bit too early to be not happy about people giving conflicting reports about their experiences. Once you’ve encountered what this firmware update implements and it ends up being nothing at all, you’ll have wasted all that time not being happy. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

you have to do it for old accounts for sure, i have to put in a device id for each account on ps3, on each console. so if you have 5 consoles, you have to do it 5 times per screen name. 

lets say you have 5 screen names, 5 consoles. thats 25 times 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Source not verified, but look how easy it is to fabricate a story and have it spread around the internet and be accepted as fact by people looking for confirmation bias. 

i was just speculating and not really saying it as fact. but i get what your saying. disinformation spreaded onlineabout anything is a huge problem. happens in the news with everything everyday. i use to perform at concerts and when i stopped there is still a rumor today that i died in a car crash fire on the way home from a show. i still run into people 10 yrs later who say they thought i been dead nearly a decade LOL

Edited by melodicmizery

Just now, zaibro said:

I could be wrong but I think the update kinda focuses on Jailbreaking reasons, correct me if I am wrong.

No, it’s implementing forced security for everyone who has been lax on taking their device and account security seriously on significantly aged consoles. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

No, it’s implementing forced security for everyone who has been lax on taking their device and account security seriously on significantly aged consoles. 

i dont really get that. what if someone hacks sonys webpage, they get in with our hacked pw, and then just steal our device id. whats the difference. is their webpage more secure then the console. and regardless i would think stealing it from the webpage would be easier to run a bot on instead of the ps3. 

also i did not have to setup a 2 step on my old account, but was forced to use a device id. i mean unless the device id is THAT secure. i dunno. i could be totally wrong

• Like 1

Just now, melodicmizery said:

is their webpage more secure then the console.

you're asking if any modern updated machine is more secure than a 16 year-old machine with an operating system, which reached end of long term service in 2011 at latest?

yes it is.

• Like 2

Just now, TimeLordCrow13y said:

It’s a mandatory update.

From now on, any new account have to be created on PC, mobile, PS4 or PS5.

For any new or existing account, if you log in to a PS3 or Vita, you’ll need to log in your account to the PC or mobile browser and generate a password to connect to that console.

• Like 2

So we can no longer have our own normal password? So I followed the steps did the device password and then signed in just fine, so then I signed out and went to input my normal password as I'm confused on how this works and I have to do the QR code thing again, so now our password is some random generated password that Sony decides this change is dumb.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TheRetroManiac said:

So we can no longer have our own normal password? So I followed the steps did the device password and then signed in just fine, so then I signed out and went to input my normal password as I'm confused on how this works and I have to do the QR code thing again, so now our password is some random generated password that Sony decides this change is dumb.

You can no longer use your normal account password to log in a PS3 or Vita. You need to generate a password for each of these consoles, once you save the password on the console you won’t have to enter it again. It’s obviously done to straighten the security for 10-15 years old technology, yes it adds more steps, might be inconvenient but it’s for the best for stronger security, we’ll get used to it quickly.

Edited by MaxieM0us3
  • Like 2