Fallout 3 vs New Vegas

SoDirtyDan_

Fallout 3 vs Fallout : New Vegas   

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which Game Is The Best?

I like New Vegas the most of the three modern games in theory, so that's how I voted...

...but the way they run on console is a different can of Irradiated Nuka Cola altogether! ?

Factoring in the technical issues on the console versions, according to my scientific calculations... 

...currently, Fallout 4 is the 83rd greatest of all time, Fallout 3 is the 90th greatest of all time and Fallout New Vegas is the 129th greatest of all time... at the time of this post ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

Fallout: New Vegas... for the dialogue, mechanics (mainly stronger RPG elements), more interesting factions and in-game radio.

Fallout 3... For the atmosphere, absolutely decimated DC setting, Daddy Neeson AND just like Oblivion, being one of the first 3D open worlds to really let you wander in any direction after the prologue sequence.

• Like 2

Fallout 3 played on the 360 first by me. Much like Oblivion and I loved the environment more then New Vegas. New Vegas on PC for me and TBH is my least favorite open world Fallout though I still like it allot which basically means it's one of my favorite series, except god awful 76.

• Like 2

New Vegas. Fallout 3 is an excellent game too mind. I’m glad I played them on the Xbox though as apparently there were serious performance issues on the PS3. 

Although NV had pretty poor graphics, it was just so varied. The different factions really were radically different and different choices led to totally different play through experiences. 

I wish they’d make more Fallout games. If they released a different one every year I’d be happy. Unfortunately Bethesda seem to want to focus on online multiplayer content. A shame as they really are the masters of the big single player rpg experience. 

• Like 2

Fallout 3 stole a summer from me back in 2009. I absolutely adore this game and while New Vegas was good and certainly had better writing, I much prefer the setting of 3. I'm not the biggest fan of old west type settings.

• Like 4

Tough choice as I love them both equally. But I ended up going with Fallout 3 in the end, based purely on the fact that it was set in Washington DC, which I preferred over Nevada. I also preferred the quest lines and atmosphere in F3. Don't get me wrong, I still think F:NV is a fantastic game that I play through at least once a year.

As for Fallout 76, I don't think it is fair to completely dismiss some of it's qualities because it had a crap launch and is mismanaged with its micro-transactions. It took them a while, but there is actually a solid Fallout game experience in there now. I think it has the best world and world building than any other Fallout game hands-down. The map is loaded with content and visual storytelling. It also has some of the best written quest lines of the franchise.

The issue I have with F:76 is that if you want that solid, single player experience that you'd be used to with Fallout 3 and NV, with no interference from the general gaming public, you literally have to pay rent to access a private server from Bethesda via a subscription. Which is ridiculous. They try and sweeten the deal by giving you extras which aren't bad if you are into the seasons and hardcore cosmetic housing dress-up, but it's still fundamentally gating you from being able to have a traditional single-player experience with the game.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Tough choice as I love them both equally. But I ended up going with Fallout 3 in the end, based purely on the fact that it was set in Washington DC, which I preferred over Nevada. I also preferred the quest lines and atmosphere in F3. Don't get me wrong, I still think F:NV is a fantastic game that I play through at least once a year.

As for Fallout 76, I don't think it is fair to completely dismiss some of it's qualities because it had a crap launch and is mismanaged with its micro-transactions. It took them a while, but there is actually a solid Fallout game experience in there now. I think it has the best world and world building than any other Fallout game hands-down. The map is loaded with content and visual storytelling. It also has some of the best written quest lines of the franchise.

The issue I have with F:76 is that if you want that solid, single player experience that you'd be used to with Fallout 3 and NV, with no interference from the general gaming public, you literally have to pay rent to access a private server from Bethesda via a subscription. Which is ridiculous. They try and sweeten the deal by giving you extras which aren't bad if you are into the seasons and hardcore cosmetic housing dress-up, but it's still fundamentally gating you from being able to have a traditional single-player experience with the game.

Well said on Fallout 76. It's easy to dismiss the game due to its launch and its multiplayer component but buried under that is arguably the best Fallout experience to date. Appalachia is easily their best open world and an absolute joy to explore.

As a quick aside to your comment regarding playing it single player and the Fallout 1st subscription. I played the game entirely by myself in public servers and there really isn't any need for private servers. Any given game tends to have a handful of players in it. It's actually quite rare to run into people out in the world (unless you run into event areas) and when you do, its almost always a positive. The F76 community are a really helpful bunch and often times when a high level player meets a low level player they will dump a bunch of ammo, supplies and plans down for you to help you out. It's also a god send finding player bases with shops that sell your chosen ammo type for 1 cap each.

If you are thinking of getting into Fallout 76 I really wouldn't worry about the multiplayer elements because you can truly enjoy this as a single player experience that just happens to have other people running around. Your main worry should be focused on planning your build, you cant just level up and pick perks randomly in this one. I tried it that way when I first started and it didn't go well ?.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Well said on Fallout 76. It's easy to dismiss the game due to its launch and its multiplayer component but buried under that is arguably the best Fallout experience to date. Appalachia is easily their best open world and an absolute joy to explore.

As a quick aside to your comment regarding playing it single player and the Fallout 1st subscription. I played the game entirely by myself in public servers and there really isn't any need for private servers. Any given game tends to have a handful of players in it. It's actually quite rare to run into people out in the world (unless you run into event areas) and when you do, its almost always a positive. The F76 community are a really helpful bunch and often times when a high level player meets a low level player they will dump a bunch of ammo, supplies and plans down for you to help you out. It's also a god send finding player bases with shops that sell your chosen ammo type for 1 cap each.

If you are thinking of getting into Fallout 76 I really wouldn't worry about the multiplayer elements because you can truly enjoy this as a single player experience that just happens to have other people running around. Your main worry should be focused on planning your build, you cant just level up and pick perks randomly in this one. I tried it that way when I first started and it didn't go well 1f605.png.

All good points :) I played it pretty heavily on PC back when they first launched the seasons and had a blast with it. I think I started just after they had seeded more NPC's into the world and overhauled that, so my experience was pretty much positive in comparison to some of the criticisms it had prior. After reading what you wrote, you've really tempted me to play it on the PS and go for the platinum.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jonesey46 said:

Fallout 3 stole a summer from me back in 2009. I absolutely adore this game and while New Vegas was good and certainly had better writing, I much prefer the setting of 3. I'm not the biggest fan of old west type settings.

Exactly this. New Vegas has better writing and better RPG machanics no doubt. But Fallout 3`s setting and especially the music just grabbed me like no other game ever had at the time. I have such great memories of Fallout 3. Good times! :-)

Edited by Per_Ottosson_
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I think that you are forgetting some other things that still hold 76 back.

- The limitations in terms of caps, scrips, bullion, etc...

- Limitations in terms of inventory management. (You better get used to throwing stuff away or leaving weapons/gear behind)

- The countless bugs that are still present in the game.

1. Bugged quests that require you to jump servers and re-do the entire quest.

2. Bugged area's that lower your framerate to 1

3. Enemy health regenerating instantly because it can't keep up with the damage that you are dealing.

4. Hard Crashes that completely crash your game.

5. Enemies that sometimes take an insane amount of time to load in, but can do damage to you in the meantine.

Fallout 76 has the best world, yes... I agree and the most diverse.

But, all those problems that are STILL in the game, right now. (I 100% it just a couple weeks ago).

Make it for me the worst fallout experience, by far.

Never been able to play Vegas because I gave up because of the problems on the PS3.

100% Fallout 3 multiple times though and love that game.

Edited by JusttJD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

All good points :) I played it pretty heavily on PC back when they first launched the seasons and had a blast with it. I think I started just after they had seeded more NPC's into the world and overhauled that, so my experience was pretty much positive in comparison to some of the criticisms it had prior. After reading what you wrote, you've really tempted me to play it on the PS and go for the platinum.

I had a blast going for the platinum and 100% last year. Despite having the 100% I still log on every now and then to do some exploring and questing.

If you've not played in a while you might have missed the 'One Wasteland' update? Enemies no longer have specific levels and now scale to you, letting you essentially explore the world at your own pace and go any where you want. It's great but it has its drawbacks, as I previously said, there's a much bigger focus on builds now so keep an eye out for that if you do come back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JusttJD said:

I think that you are forgetting some other things that still hold 76 back.

- The limitations in terms of caps, scrips, bullion, etc...

- Limitations in terms of inventory management. (You better get used to throwing stuff away or leaving weapons/gear behind)

- The countless bugs that are still present in the game.

1. Bugged quests that require you to jump servers and re-do the entire quest.

2. Bugged area's that lower your framerate to 1

3. Enemy health regenerating instantly because it can't keep up with the damage that you are dealing.

4. Hard Crashes that completely crash your game.

5. Enemies that sometimes take an insane amount of time to load in, but can do damage to you in the meantine.

Fallout 76 has the best world, yes... I agree and the most diverse.

But, all those problems that are STILL in the game, right now. (I 100% it just a couple weeks ago).

Make it for me the worst fallout experience, by far.

Never been able to play Vegas because I gave up because of the problems on the PS3.

100% Fallout 3 multiple times though and love that game.

Oh man, that's alot of issues - do you know if that is specific to console only? I don't think I had any issues at all when I played it on PC. Well apart from a few little things, like some NPC's clipping into furniture. If it's super buggy on console, I might give it a while.

• Like 1

So for me its Fallout 3! Fallout 3 is also my all time favorite game and here is why. Back in day my buddy talked me into buying the game and I bought the regular edition not the GOTY.. I played a little bit and enjoyed but had a hard time sticking to it, so by that time New Vegas came out i bought it kind of ran through the game and didn't really explore and completed the Mr. house main story line and enjoyed but only did the main quest line because I had never played open world games before. So I went to game stop picked up a copy of Fallout 3 GOTY and gave it another try.. And that was all she wrote lol. At the time it was the day after Xmas of 2010 when I did this I was on Xmas break so had about 2 weeks left and I literally played every day, I believe I was in *8th grade at the time. I remember completing the main story line of 3 and being like what do I do now? so I decided to do the extra trophies and from then on I became the trophy hunter I am today! After completing almost everything in 3 I went back to new vegas doing the same thing and loved it just as much! I love NV but there is something about Fallout 3 that NV will never be able to top in my book.. So long story short if it wasn't for Fallout 3 I probably wouldn't be on this website now or even care about trophy hunting at all so... Thanks Fallout 3 for turning me into the gamer I am today  !