Starfield pushed to 2023....

craig_obviously

I'm not super surprised by this, but it was the first xbox title I have been excited about in years, so it's a little sad that it won't be playable over the 2022 holiday season.

But if the idea behind the delay is to get the game to a better state and not damage the mental health of their employees by forcing crunch, then I don't think that is a bad thing at all.

Overall I wasn't really expecting anything to come out of the acquisition shopping spree they went on for a good few years anyway, it feels like all of that activity was based on very long term planning rather than cranking games out quickly.

2 hours ago, craig_obviously said:

@Raveniteh  Thanks...one of my favourite movies...I pity anyone who has not seen it

There is a sequel in the works too! Announced recently :) 

I'm not sure Starfield really posed much of a threat as an Xbox exclusive since both PS5 and Xbox Series seem to be selling as many consoles as can be made thanks to the damn chip shortage, wouldn't have made a difference. 

I don't think Elden Ring ever even had any competition for GotY given how wildly acclaimed it has been, not even God of War: Ragnarok will probably touch it for review scores and media acclaim. Good for FromSoftware getting a GotY in a pretty stacked year unlike last time. 

Also means that 2023 is looking a bit more stacked as well now.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

I'm not sure Starfield really posed much of a threat as an Xbox exclusive since both PS5 and Xbox Series seem to be selling as many consoles as can be made thanks to the damn chip shortage, wouldn't have made a difference. 

I don't think Elden Ring ever even had any competition for GotY given how wildly acclaimed it has been, not even God of War: Ragnarok will probably touch it for review scores and media acclaim. Good for FromSoftware getting a GotY in a pretty stacked year unlike last time. 

Also means that 2023 is looking a bit more stacked as well now.

Agreed. But GoW might still claim it from a hype standpoint if it has a flawless release. Same with Hogwarts Legacy, and besides Elden Ring that’s all anyone wants is those two. It’ll be interesting though!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

Agreed. But GoW might still claim it from a hype standpoint if it has a flawless release. Same with Hogwarts Legacy, and besides Elden Ring that’s all anyone wants is those two. It’ll be interesting though!

I'm sure GoW will be my own personal GotY because I doubt I'll even get around to Elden Ring this year! 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Mellenthin said:

If it weren't for the endless coffers of Bill Gates, XBOX would've been buried a long time ago.

Sony still needs to be kept on their toes, as always, so there's always that.

Nothing to do with Bill Gates, its Phil Spencer keeping it going. Everything I've seen Microsoft wants nothing to do with Xbox. They were talking before about killing the Xbox division because it bleeds money and in recent quarterly reviews they don't even talk about Xbox. 

Doesnt surprised me that they've pushed it back, they need it to work and be a hit but most importantly because its not coming to PS they need it to be a console seller otherwise I would surmise that it pretty much is game over. 

Edited by Silocia

2 weeks ago a former dev did an article where they put forward that Starfield perhaps had "too much content" to ship on time. However, considering they've yet to put out any gameplay footage the reason being it is all a bugged out mess would seem credible.

20 hours ago, Silocia said:

Nothing to do with Bill Gates, its Phil Spencer keeping it going. Everything I've seen Microsoft wants nothing to do with Xbox. They were talking before about killing the Xbox division because it bleeds money and in recent quarterly reviews they don't even talk about Xbox. 

Doesnt surprised me that they've pushed it back, they need it to work and be a hit but most importantly because its not coming to PS they need it to be a console seller otherwise I would surmise that it pretty much is game over. 

While you are correct that the user was incorrect to list Bill Gates (who'd have killed Xbox by this point), the point of it being their "endless coffers" isn't wrong. The current CEO is a money mark who Phil Spencer has been able to string along to dump massive amounts of capital into Xbox with the promise that it'll all pay off down the line at some point. Xbox doesn't get it's numbers mentioned by it in reviews or anything else because, and this cannot be said to be 100% the case, but certainly is 99% likely, because the numbers simply aren't good and showing them would course shareholders/board to want to kill Xbox. So they're kept under raps so nobody starts demanding Xbox is killed off. The problem with all that of course, and it has happened before in other industries, is the moment Microsoft gets a new CEO, Spencer better be able to string him along too because otherwise everything is going to fall apart.

On 12.05.2022 at 3:38 PM, craig_obviously said:

I see people saying this means xbox will not get a SINGLE first party release in 2022...that is mind boggling

Holy crap. This would be wild. 

Now I'm trying to remember who does what at MS.

Halo and Forza Horizon came out last year.

Perfect Dark doesn't have a release date (and is trapped in troubled development)

Starfield and Redfall are delayed to 2023.

Hellblade 2 doesn't have a release date.

The Outer Worlds 2 and Avowed don't have release dates.

Fable doesn't have a release date.

State of Decay 3 doesn't have a release date.

Bruh. I hope at least one game gets a 2022 release date during their showcase in June. 

Edited by Slava

On 5/12/2022 at 7:47 PM, Mellenthin said:

If it weren't for the endless coffers of Bill Gates, XBOX would've been buried a long time ago.

Sony still needs to be kept on their toes, as always, so there's always that.

Bill Gates is long gone already. 

You might mean Satya Nadella.

22 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

2 weeks ago a former dev did an article where they put forward that Starfield perhaps had "too much content" to ship on time. However, considering they've yet to put out any gameplay footage the reason being it is all a bugged out mess would seem credible.

While you are correct that the user was incorrect to list Bill Gates (who'd have killed Xbox by this point), the point of it being their "endless coffers" isn't wrong. The current CEO is a money mark who Phil Spencer has been able to string along to dump massive amounts of capital into Xbox with the promise that it'll all pay off down the line at some point. Xbox doesn't get it's numbers mentioned by it in reviews or anything else because, and this cannot be said to be 100% the case, but certainly is 99% likely, because the numbers simply aren't good and showing them would course shareholders/board to want to kill Xbox. So they're kept under raps so nobody starts demanding Xbox is killed off. The problem with all that of course, and it has happened before in other industries, is the moment Microsoft gets a new CEO, Spencer better be able to string him along too because otherwise everything is going to fall apart.

If you did a little bit of searching you'd know that Game Pass is a hit and it's userbase keeps increasing, the consoles are also selling very well. 

So tell me how can they keep pumping up more money, if they were to lose so much money? By investing in to xbox, and buying studios Microsoft is saying we are confident in making a €/$/£/¥ which they are. I mean for christ sake, they're going to have call of duty.

A game which will on it's own fill up a billion yearly.

Oh and it's coming to Playstation, so everytime you play it you'll have a giant Xbox add right in front of you.

The one thing that's missing right now for xbox? Exclusives. Which does take time.

46 minutes ago, Slava said:

Holy crap. This would be wild. 

Now I'm trying to remember who does what at MS.

Halo and Forza Horizon came out last year.

Perfect Dark doesn't have a release date (and is trapped in troubled development)

Starfield and Redfall are delayed to 2023.

Hellblade 2 doesn't have a release date.

The Outer Worlds 2 and Avowed don't have release dates.

Fable doesn't have a release date.

State of Decay 3 doesn't have a release date.

Bruh. I hope at least one game gets a 2022 release date during their showcase in June. 

Xbox had infinite coming out this year,

One in a whole year which is quite honestly a joke.

2 hours ago, Theorymii said:

If you did a little bit of searching you'd know that Game Pass is a hit and it's userbase keeps increasing, the consoles are also selling very well. 

So tell me how can they keep pumping up more money, if they were to lose so much money? By investing in to xbox, and buying studios Microsoft is saying we are confident in making a €/$/£/¥ which they are. I mean for christ sake, they're going to have call of duty.

A game which will on it's own fill up a billion yearly.

Oh and it's coming to Playstation, so everytime you play it you'll have a giant Xbox add right in front of you.

Gampass's numbers relating to profitability are secret. There is a reason for that, because they're likely to be heavily in the negative due them following the Netflix model (others including Microsoft have done that before, but they get credited these days) of taking massive losses in 0-10 years so they can make lots of money after that period of losing money ends. That isn't to say that is bad business, Gamepass being in the negative is how it should be because that is what the model is all about at first so please don't even try to deny this matter. 

If Xbox was a singular entity it wouldn't be able to, but as it is a part of Microsoft it can be fed profits made in other departments to it.

I'm not a big Modern War Battles guy so that is unlikely to happen. Microsoft stated it'll be on PlayStation for X amount of years going forward to help not have their deal shutdown by the American government, perhaps also to make back their investment quicker yes as putting the thing on Gamepass likely means CoD's money making potential is drastically reduced. Beyond that CoD has been outsold by Elden Ring in a shorter period of time so the brand might possibly be degrading. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Gampass's numbers relating to profitability are secret. There is a reason for that, because they're likely to be heavily in the negative due them following the Netflix model (others including Microsoft have done that before, but they get credited these days) of taking massive losses in 0-10 years so they can make lots of money after that period of losing money ends. That isn't to say that is bad business, Gamepass being in the negative is how it should be because that is what the model is all about at first so please don't even try to deny this matter. 

If Xbox was a singular entity it wouldn't be able to, but as it is a part of Microsoft it can be fed profits made in other departments to it.

I'm not a big Modern War Battles guy so that is unlikely to happen. Microsoft stated it'll be on PlayStation for X amount of years going forward to help not have their deal shutdown by the American government, perhaps also to make back their investment quicker yes as putting the thing on Gamepass likely means CoD's money making potential is drastically reduced. Beyond that CoD has been outsold by Elden Ring in a shorter period of time so the brand might possibly be degrading. 

Nonsense, if you looked up on Gamepass numbers you'd see it's over 25 million right now.

25.million.

You dont seem to understand,

Everytime a Playstation guy buys call of duty that money goes right in to the pockets of Microsoft. Open up Cod? See a giant xbox game studio add. Buy a MT? pay to xbox.

You seem to think that Cod is dying, and i've been hearing this for years but i'd like to argue that it's not. Yes Vanguard was a terrible cod, but by sale numbers/MT numbers it still did very well. 

How else can a game that's "dying" achieve an annual profit of 1 billion a year. That's like saying Fifa is dying when we all know that game hits a billion yearly aswell. 

Elden Ring was an exception, absolutely fantastic game that deserved the hype and delivered it aswell. 

In any case,

11 hours ago, Theorymii said:

Nonsense, if you looked up on Gamepass numbers you'd see it's over 25 million right now.

25.million.

You dont seem to understand,

Everytime a Playstation guy buys call of duty that money goes right in to the pockets of Microsoft. Open up Cod? See a giant xbox game studio add. Buy a MT? pay to xbox.

You seem to think that Cod is dying, and i've been hearing this for years but i'd like to argue that it's not. Yes Vanguard was a terrible cod, but by sale numbers/MT numbers it still did very well. 

How else can a game that's "dying" achieve an annual profit of 1 billion a year. That's like saying Fifa is dying when we all know that game hits a billion yearly aswell. 

Elden Ring was an exception, absolutely fantastic game that deserved the hype and delivered it aswell. 

In any case,

And you know the subscriber numbers because that is the only one Xbox will tell us. How much does Microsoft spend on their own games and deals with third parties for gamepass? How many of that 25 million are on their promotion where they're basically Gold subscribers with gamepass for free? 25 million subscribers is not enough if they're losing lots of money on it, which is likely, because as I said, that is the Netflix way. Lose lots of money now, aim to make much more later.

Okay. You think I need to be told this why? Something you leave out is Xbox is going to have to recoup the money spent on the purchase (partly why they're keeping it on PlayStation) and if they do make sales on PlayStation, 30% goes to Sony.

Did I say CoD was dying? No, I said the brand may be degrading if it is getting overthrown from the top spot like that. Going back to the modern war battles might make them recover sure, but it might not because that is the thing with momentum, when you lose it it can be hard to get back. No one knows also how this purchase might affect things also. Presumably CoD's won't just be on Gamepass (will take time to see this effect as the next CoD won't debut on gamepass, it'll be the one after) but they'll likely also get the DLCs early which'll make PlayStation users "second class". Sony is also investing big in multiplayer games. There is a risk a lot of PlayStation CoD gamers drop CoD to go play something else as hey, it is Microsoft's property now which they can take away whenever they like.

We'll see how it goes. 

• Like 2