Anyone shifted from Playstation to Xbox for current (ninth) gen? Or considering?

Tirmata

Hi everyone,

I am a PS person since PS1 and had all consoles except Vita (and not yet PS5). I never played Xbox except once at friend's home and it was mostly same. Tbh, I also don't care technical differences much, I feel all the games are kinda same for last 5 years, so I don't care about graphics much.

If you asked me a year ago, the chance of getting an Xbox for me would be max. 10%, but now I am seriously around 50-50% and I wanted to get some opinion here if someone went through the same.

Main pros are:

- Backwards compatibility. I shocked when I saw that I could play Dragon Age Origins & II, TES:Morrowind, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Fallout 3 & NV, Witcher 2, Metal Gear HD collection and much much more I didn't check completely on Xbox Series X. No streaming, no stress over which game is included in PS Now or expiring etc. I also don't have PS Now enabled for my region.

- Game Pass and day 1 releases. Doesn't seem Sony will be matching their swiftness for new games

- Xbox exclusive games like Starlink, Outer Worlds 2 and TES6

- Better local pricing by Xbox (at least for my country)

- Console itself is cheaper and easy to get

Cons:

- PS Exclusives: I don't care about Marvel games, and seems new GoW will be on PS4 too. So, I don't have anything to lose at least for next few years for now

- My whole digital library consist PS games, so there is no way I can completely abandon PS ecosystem

- PS Plus: I still have it until late 2024, so I will be playing both probably

- Trophies: I am not sure if this is a con or not, it may be a blessing to free myself from trophies or achievement

- I'll have two consoles when I am moving around which is an extra space

My alternative would be getting a PS3 and move to PS5 later, mainly because I am craving for the previous generation games atm, but I also don't want to regret next year when Xbox exclusives start to kick in (i.e. Starlink) whereas for sure there isn't any huge exclusive for PS5 only.

Did anyone make the shift or considering? Do I miss any point?

Edited by Tirmata
  • Like 3

No. I don't even have enough time to play more games that the ones I actually can besides PlayStation has always been more popular in my country. I've never met a single Xbox owner in person in my life.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 3

No way. Ive loved ps for 25 years. Yea i guess xbox has some pros but overall id never switch. I have too much invested in my ps life. However i was indeed feeling same as you in the way i wanted to revisted some older games and play some more titles on ps3. I recently rebought a ps3 just for that. You can get a great condition ps3 along with all wires and a controller for well under 100. After playing ps4 and 5 for a while i thought i would never play ps3 again. Boy was i wrong. Now i have my complete digital collection on ps4/ps5 and when i want to switch i turn the ps3 on. Tons of games for ps3 out there, also tons of nice and challenging trophies to earn and if we're being honest ps3 games are absolute bottom dollar dirt cheap right now so its a great time to grab a used ps3 and some games. Ps for life my friend.

Edited by Camokidd87
  • Like 1

I used to rock with the Xbox 360! Played Modern warfare 2 til my controllers broke.

but after a while it’s just not satisfying to play on that console anymore as in my opinion there is no reward system.

That is not to say that they don’t have good exclusive games! I absolutely loved the gears of wars series so much to the point I would even play it online at lengths?

I got into pc gaming after the Xbox when I was around 14 and sold that pc again when i turned 20 and focused my energy into PlayStation as I was no longer having fun with pc and i have a condition called scoliosis making me unable to properly sit straight in gaming chairs which hinders my ability to perform on computer games. And leaves me with hunchback.

I started with PlayStation 4 and now play on a German PlayStation 5 even though I am Norwegian? I bought it on a private market

and I have a recliner chair that is very comfy and good for my back that is comfortable to sit in while playing PlayStation games. Like it a lot more since you don’t need to be so close to the screen.

My dad was a massive PlayStation nerd, he had everything from the PlayStation 1 to the PlayStation 3. So I am bound to like PlayStation more I guess.

but I also like PlayStation more because I feel like the trophy system is so much cleaner and it gives me a lot of drive to play games I would never touch otherwise.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tirmata said:

Main pros are:

- Backwards compatibility. I shocked when I saw that I could play Dragon Age Origins & II, TES:Morrowind, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Fallout 3 & NV, Witcher 2, Metal Gear HD collection and much much more I didn't check completely on Xbox Series X. No streaming, no stress over which game is included in PS Now or expiring etc. I also don't have PS Now enabled for my region.

- Game Pass and day 1 releases. Doesn't seem Sony will be matching their swiftness for new games

- Xbox exclusive games like Starlink, Outer Worlds 2 and TES6

- Better local pricing by Xbox (at least for my country)

- Console itself is cheaper and easy to get

Honestly, backwards compatibility is a junk reason to get Xbox considering you stated you have the older ps consoles.  Do you really want to buy the newest console for old games?

Console availability.. depends.  Spend a little more (because of world situation) to get what you (might?) really want, or settle for something you may not really want just because it's available?

I've seen varied arguments about gamepass, but I'm biased, so I'll refrain from that one

The new Xbox exclusives - aka the Bethesda buyout - would be a half decent reason if you really must have those at the expense of losing the PS exclusives.

I prefer to play the few exclusives I might lose on PC, since they all are available on Gamepass. When you have a lot of digital games on PS4 you don't really think of changing consoles. Changing alone will cost you 500$, it doesn't seem worth it.

as someone who has owned every playstation console, and as someone who has never owned an xbox until now (I bought a Series X for Christmas), these are my personal thoughts on the current consoles:

• while the PS5 definitely has a more unique design (which can be polarizing), the xbox - both the X and S - has a smaller, more compact design that allows it to be stored in smaller spaces, while blending seamlessly into most room/furniture layouts
  • hands down I prefer the PS5 controller. the build quality has a premium feel. the haptics are very immersive. the xbox controllers feel cheap and plasticky by comparison. I do not like that the d pad and left analog stick are in reverse positions. and I especially despise having to replace AAA batteries. I alleviated this by buying a rechargeable battery pack, which lasts MUCH longer between charges than the PS5 controllers do, but this is just an unnecessary added expense
  • I prefer the audio from the official xbox wireless headset over the the 3D pulse headset. the xbox headset sounds more bass-y, and the audio becomes even better if u download the dolby app (but this is another one time, $15 expense)
  • as far as the games go, I definitely am biased towards playstation exclusives. because of my controller preference, I also prefer to play 3rd party games on PS5. also, trophies are a big part of my gaming experience. I don't care for achievements at all. so honestly the only games I WOULDN'T play on my PS5 are xbox exclusives. with that being said, Gamepass is AWESOME, and for the average, casual gamer who has no allegiance to one platform over the other, I would actually recommend that they buy an xbox S/X. xbox does many of the little things much better than playstation. quick resume among multiple games (makes PS rest mode feel antiquated), easy to install additional ssd storage (literally plug into port and forget its there), cloud gaming, which is free to everyone and not locked behind a paywall like ps+, smart delivery (u buy any game and automatically get access to the best version of that game at no extra cost), full native backwards compatibility all the way back to the OG xbox

if u can afford it, u can't go wrong with having both. you're mileage will vary depending on your own personal tastes and preferences, but my own take away is that xbox is no longer the clearly inferior choice anymore. they've come a long way

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, Microsoft is making some pretty good decisions with XBOX lately but I like to play a huge variety of games (both niche and mainstream) and PS is just the better console for that. XBOX has been getting more and more niche titles but it still doesn't compare to PS. Japanese game studios are more likely to release their games onto PS or PC. Which reminds me... most XBOX games can be found on PC (Steam) and are much more worth it than they are on XBOX. I'm not really missing much with Halo or Forza, tbh.

• Like 2

I've bought an x360 a few years ago only to play Ace Combat 6 and all Forza, Halo and Gears of War games (all x360 exclusives, or almost if considering the PC ports).

After that, i've just sold that console and kept straight with the Playstation family of consoles (in other words, i still have my PS3 and bought a PS4).

There's no way i will transfer totally to xbox, the main reasons are my friends, exclusive games and of course, platinums.

Yes. Last gen, I wouldn't consider buying an Xbox, but now - just waiting for the games. Then again, I don't have a PS5 yet for the same reason... 

I've had all previous Playstation consoles (with a long break between PS2 and PS3), excluding handhelds. I still have the original Xbox though, which at the time was a breath of fresh air for me. I actually played Silent Hill 2 on it last year, because the PS Now version crashed in the first 20 minutes. Honestly, I don't care what I'm playing on, as long as I enjoy the game. 

Trophies are a major factor, sure, so I'll play the multi-platform games on PS5. But I'm definitely getting an Xbox... When the games come. Series S probably, with game pass just to play the exclusives. Kinda like a PC gamer buying a Playstation for the exclusives. 

At this rate I might get an Xbox before the PS5 actually, since it seems like the "Xbox exclusives era" might arrive sooner than the era of PS5-only games. 

Honestly, Microsoft kinda won me over. With all their acquisitions, their games launching on game pass and series s, it's perfect for someone who wants all those elder scrolls and Senuas but doesn't want to completely switch to another platform. 

No, PlayStation forever! In fact, I recently sold my Xbox Series X about 2 days ago because I never bothered with it. 

1 hour ago, Camokidd87 said:

No way. Ive loved ps for 25 years. Yea i guess xbox has some pros but overall id never switch. I have too much invested in my ps life. However i was indeed feeling same as you in the way i wanted to revisted some older games and play some more titles on ps3. I recently rebought a ps3 just for that. You can get a great condition ps3 along with all wires and a controller for well under 100. After playing ps4 and 5 for a while i thought i would never play ps3 again. Boy was i wrong. Now i have my complete digital collection on ps4/ps5 and when i want to switch i turn the ps3 on. Tons of games for ps3 out there, also tons of nice and challenging trophies to earn and if we're being honest ps3 games are absolute bottom dollar dirt cheap right now so its a great time to grab a used ps3 and some games. Ps for life my friend.

PS3 is still awesome even to this day. 

• Like 1

Im honestly more likely to go with a switch and pc if i were to drop ps as honestly xbox is kind of redundant nowadays since all thier exclusives are on pc and pretty much any benefit i could possibly get i can get better on pc. Only reason i stick with sony is because no other platform has as good an achievement system as trophies and honestly im not a fan of how xbox handles drm in comparision.

I went to Xbox 360 after the PS2 because all my friends did and while we had a lot of fun, I always wondered what I was missing by skipping on PS3 and regretted getting an Xbox One so badly that I went and got me a PS3 and PS4 and have played both exclusives that I missed as well as third party titles that I played already alongside newer games. No matter how much Xbox improves I would never consider making it my only or even "main" platform ever again unless I became shit broke and could only afford one platform. Xbox has been the media and YouTuber darling this generation for being better than the travesty that was the Xbox One and while Sony have goofed a few times PlayStation is still the superior platform imo. Game Pass is great but as a physical collector it's really no good to me. I still got me a Series S and Series X but I barely use them, I even use my Switch more and now Xbox has NO major exclusive titles currently lined up for 2022; Halo Infinite has fallen off massively and Forza Horizon 5 was awesome but it's also pretty dead now too. Everywhere I look Xbox fans are always like "Xbox is playing the long game"... yeah the really fricking long game because they've been buying up studios and now major publishers for years and have very little to show for it. If PlayStation is able to sort its chip shortage woes out soon PlayStation 5 could very well end up leaving Xbox in the dust once again.

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Nah.

I’ve barely got time to play even a fraction of the games I want to on this console. 1f602.png

This is pretty much the case for me as well. I played an XB1 at my brother's flat once, but I definitely have no need to buy one - PlayStation games alone are more than enough to completely fill my gaming time.  I have enough PS4 games to keep me going for several years to come, and I've been a PlayStation guy from the very beginning, so I see no need or reason to change now.

• Like 1

Switching? No, in general, I prefer the PlayStation exclusives and it would hurt me more if I missed those - although with recent acquisitions, not getting some future Xbox exclusives hurts more and more ...

Getting one additional? Well, that would just double my backlog which I even now will never really finish, so it would be a big waste of money.

What I would consider is a semi-cheap streaming solution for Gamepass and then never traditionally buying a game for it... Like a streaming-only mini-Xbox without a real HD, or SMart-TV integration (or god forbid - gamepass on Playstation ?)

Oh, and I would absolutely need to get a controller with symmetrical sticks...