Anyone shifted from Playstation to Xbox for current (ninth) gen? Or considering?

Tirmata

I'm not planning to move to Xbox, but I'm definitely switching to PC, it'll a lot more beneficial for me, and it's something I've wanted to do for years but just never got around to doing. Since I owned a PS3 and then PS4 but I'm not planning to get a PS5, especially after the PS5 I was supposed to get got lost in shipping and I decided to take advantage of my refund to not get a PS5.

PC just has so much more for me, not to mention the free online and free cloud saves, so I no longer need crappy PS Plus or to worry about if my friends have PS Plus to play a game online (Which was free on the PS3 and was the main reason I got a PS3 in the first place) Also it'll be nice to have support to play games with any controller I want, I can have Keyboard and Mouse but Steam also automatically allows you to use almost any controller. 

Other benefits for me are multitasking, having multiple monitors, Modding, Emulation, Backwards Compatability, Upgradeability, More Customization, a Bigger variety of games, Discord, More customizable game settings, and FOV settings in more games (e.g. - CoD War Zone, Rainbow Six Seige), Compatability with almost any VR headset, and probably more that I can't think of...

It's just the next best move for me, not to mention it's just nice to have everything in one place with the versatility to game any way you want or do anything else.

As for Exclusives and Trophies, I don't really care to lose them. For Exclusive I've played all the ones I wanted to play and my favorite exclusive franchise is over and done with + they seem to come to PC after a few years so if I want to play them I still have my PS4 for any possible Exclusive that isn't PS5 exclusive and when it comes to trophies... It's been fun but they aren't worth anything, and it'll be freeing to not worry about collecting trophies or worry about completion %, it's been fun but I'm happy with my trophy list, I don't feel I need to do much more with it.

It is definitely something to seriously consider. I have both Series X and PS5 and

moved a fair amount of my time over to

Xbox in the last year. I really enjoy the system. I don’t fan boy to any one system as I am interested in getting the best experience I will enjoy on the games I want to play, which is basically all of them. Ultimately I agree with you the games are much the same between both and if exclusives matter you will buy both anyway. Judging by the number of plats you have you enjoy your gaming so go on treat yourself.

Some things I have found 

Pros of the XsX

- on a good 4K display LG C1 or equivalent there is a noticeable improvement over PS5 graphically

- smart resume is very useful if you move between multiple games 

- the XsX rarely reverts to a black loading screen like PS5 sometimes does. Immersion breaking and surprisingly occurs more in mid to indie games but also triple A. (Yes I play the games often on both systems lol)

- Gamepass. This can save you a lot of money even in the short term. The challenge will be where you want to play a certain game - if platinum or trophies matter over achievements 

- a first party “elite” controller that may not have the gimmicks of the duel sense but is more practical with wider array of options/setups  and for me preferred in the long run

- automatic save transfers from the cloud. This is huge if you have multiple systems and move between them. It is quicker and more streamlined than PlayStations approach

- if you like replaying games it opens up a whole new stack :) 

Cons

- different controller layout / feel

- IT DOESN’T HAVE TROPHIES

seems silly I know but I let that hold me back for awhile. If it is a concern you really have to judge how you play. If you tie the meta game into justifying time then it might be a waste buying the X as you won’t really use it. But if you can find a happy medium or are more interested in the games without the constraints of the meta game then it’s not an issue. 

- Time. If you figure out a way to get through everything on 1 let alone 2 systems please let me know ?

Ultimately I’d recommend giving it a go. It is the only way you will really find out what sort of gamer you are. And heck you can still earn a shitload of platinums on PS and spend your fair share of time on the X if you want. Happy Gaming :) 

• Like 1

Honestly not hyped for either the PS5 or Xbox, but I could see a few uses for one. I don't want to play games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla on my base ps4 anymore and maybe I could play something like Phantasy Star on it? There's less difference between Sony and MS this gen than ever before.

I don't have any interest this Gen, its pretty bad so far anyway. The only game I'm interested in is GOW Ragnarok and that's coming to PS4. If i was to buy any console now it would be that Xbox Series S, play all the exclusives I've missed over the years. 

Passed couple of years I've gone well off Sony. I have years worth of PS3 and PS4 games, if i ever get around to finishing them all i will probably move to PC. 

Gaming nowadays is bad imo, most AAA games are either disappointing, broken or both. And even exclusives can't be trusted anymore. 

• Like 1

I'll play devils advocate... Since I couldn't get a PS5 or XsX at the start of 2021 I grabbed a Used Xbox One X to catch up on Forza Horizon 2-4 (only Series I really care for... Both Motorsport and Horizon) but with Micro$oft buying up Bethesda I felt the need to finally jump back in (last owned a X360 alongside my PS3 for most of that Generation) and now I have both a PlayStation 5 (which I got first) then the Xbox Series X a couple months later towards the end of 2021.

I straight up can't give 2 shits about Achievements/Gamerscore the same way I do Trophys. Game Pass also makes me feel like I own nothing (which is true, but I own like 442 Games on Xbox in general) and so I often don't get very far in most games because of it, there's just too much choice because of GP basically and it's a negative to me personally ?‍♂️

I now basically use the Xbox Series X as a glorified Xbox/Xbox 360 and it's genuinely GREAT for those titles, playing some of the BEST games from PS3/X360 in 4K/60fps (you get the Resolution Bump on Xbox One X most of the time, the FPS Bump is thanks to the Xbox Series S/X FPS Boost feature) and actually quite a few PS4/Xbox One games get the same Enhancements... Also important since basically EVERYTHING Xbox One runs AS IS or BETTER on the Xbox Series S/X whilst a bunch (and a bunch that I own and LOVE) of PS4 games have Graphical Issues and such on PS5 which is absolutely INFURIATING ?

Overall I've enjoyed the PS5 FAR MORE but both Systems are great ?

• Like 2

I got an Xbox Series S, and it is currently the only current gen system I have (after owning a ps, ps2, ps3 and ps4). Here’s my list of Pros and Cons from switching between ps4 and Xbox:

Cons:

-the digital store sales aren’t even close to as good on Xbox. Which is really bad for me since Series S is digital only.

-the controller; The sticks are harder to manage in FPS games. I also don’t like the L2/R2 buttons as much.

-No trophies (because I like to hunt them and don’t like achievements). 

pros: 

-Gamepass! Lots of really great games on the service. There are a lot of really great indie games on there and also day one releases like(recently): Tunic, Rainbow Six Extraction, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, Trek to Yomi, etc. 

-Backwards Conpatibility and being able to play a lot of 360 games at 4k or 60 fps.

-No trophies (yes, as a pro too. Sometimes it’s good to play games without worrying about them. I feel like I play more of what I want to play without them, and if I don’t like a game, I can immediately delete it.)

-free cloud saves, not tied behind a sub.

-xcloud is one of the best streaming services I have tried. It’s good for when you just want to try a game out instead of downloading it, to see if you like it. I had ps now for a long time and the streaming quality wasn’t near as good.

I still plan to get a PlayStation 5, once I can find one and have the money to do so. 

• Like 1

Nope I don't need or want a Xbox I have a PS5, Switch and soon will be upgrading my PC. It doesn't really help that I just don't care about Xbox games like Halo, Gears of War and whatever racing car game they got. Also haven't liked Bethesda or Activision/Blizzard since we now are aware just how scummy those companies are, So I ain't giving them a single cent got plenty of other great games to play. 

Considering the whole "industry consolidation" thing, I think it will be worth to have both consoles this gen, or at least a PC and a PS5 (Which is what I do). If your reason to get it atm is the backwards compatibility I would just analyze if the backcompat games you want are PS3 exclusives or not. If you want to play the exclusives, then I would definetily get a PS3, but if they are multiplat, I would recommend a Xbox Series S. It has resolution boost, FPS boost for some games and auto-hdr, and I think it's much better to play these games on a modern system, with a better controller than the dualshock 3, plus you get access to Xbox's exclusives as well, and there will probably be some good ones in 2023 and 2024.

However, if you are deciding between a PS5 and a Xbox, than I would analyze it more carefully. I would recommend you to get a Xbox Series S for the backwards compatible games, Xbox's exclusives and Gamepass and then get a PS5, but I don't know what is your budget.

• Like 3

Inconsistency of Japanese releases on Xbox is the biggest con for me. I play a little bit of everything but the games I look forward to the most and buy day 1 are typically Japanese. And it really just feels like a crapshoot with Xbox. I know it's basically a meme that nothing from Japan comes out on the console, but it's actually not entirely true. It's just random which is annoying. Like Soul Hackers 2 is coming out on Xbox which is neat, but Persona 5 Strikers skipped out last year for some reason (despite it also coming out on Switch and PC.) Then I look at what Square announced for later this year: A new Star Ocean which is gonna be on Xbox... But then Valkyria Elysium isn't. Heck I actually started Travis Strikes Again NMH earlier today and had to look up something online. As I was doing it I noticed that apparently even it didn't get a Xbox release, and yet No More Heroes 3 is getting one later this year alongside PS and PC! It just really bugs me.

On the "pro" side though like others have said the lack of trophies is handy. Not because I hate achievements or anything (I like them fine and am nearing 100k GS) but with the lack of a platinum and with how horrible some things are implemented (like how DLC or compilation achievements are just displayed with the main list) it doesn't bother me as much when I can't 100% a game like it does on Playstation. In fact I've actually started buying Xbox versions of games where the plat trophy is impossible on PS. There are a lot of games these days where you can't get all the achievements/trophies because servers have been shut down, bugs never got fixed, or no one plays the multiplayer anymore. Playing those on Xbox feels better since I am just gaining points to add to my total and then I can move on from the game.

• Like 1

No. I used to be xbox, had the original and the 360 but the marketing and PR for xbox one made me jump ship, bought a ps3 a couple years before the ps4 and then upgraded. Haven't looked back since. 

I'm not convinced that bethesdas games are going to remain on the xbox and PC, unless it sells big console numbers they wont be bringing in the cash for the 7billion buy-out, but thats just a wait and see situation. Also if they don't release them onto playstation even after a timed exclusive then Phil Spencer can seriously do one. He's spent the last two generations crying, claiming he's for the gamers and that he would do things differently but then buys massive studios and then does the same thing he was crying about playstation doing.

Game pass isn't all its cracked up to be, I know people on this website think its this god tier package and that Sony need to do it but its proven to be bad for the industry already. Xbox doesn't make any money off of it, when they tried to up their prices to make money they had to back down because of the meltdown, also publishers aren't making money on it, games that get put on there get giving a bad reputation "game pass stink" "oh that games got game pass stink all over it", why would a publisher want that on their games? Outriders, still hasn't made its money back to the point that People Can Fly haven't earned any royalties because of game pass - doesn't seem industry friendly which in time wont be consumer friendly. 

Edit: Also, I'll take not having backwards compatibility the same way xbox has it if it means I can be DRM free. You need an online connection to play offline, single player games, you cant run it offline at all. You even need internet connection just to set up the console. No thanks.

Edited by Silocia
  • Like 2

SWITCHING to Xbox? No. Sony would have to royally fuck up to the point where it feels morally wrong to support them anymore, for me to straight up switch to Xbox. I've been here with PlayStation since 1996, since then it's just been the brand thats felt....right. There's some brand loyalty sprinkled in there, but I'm loyal because PlayStation has always felt like home. 

In 2005 all my friends got a 360...straight up defecting from PlayStation after being avid PS2 players. And I just never understood it...like how can you be so loyal to one brand and then just turn your brain to the competitor like that JUST because their console came out a year earlier? Now sure we all know the story of the PS3 launch at this point...but they didn't know that yet then. I was the one hold out that had absolutely no desire to get a 360 (had a lot to do with no really enjoying anything on the OG Xbox) and wanted nothing other than a PS3. This is the big transition that solidified me as a single player gamer...I had played a TINY bit of Online on the PS2 with SOCOM 2 (I had the Network adapter for some reason, used it like a three times), but it wasn't something that made me say "OMG! I have to keep doing this!". But I was solidified because...I had nobody to play with. It actually got to the point though around 2011/2012 where I convinced them to get PS3's because they were so curious why I never jumped ship. Played with them online a few times, but the Single Player damage was done at that point. 

However, like the OP I have a small percentage of me now that wants a Series X. But it's due to Xbox waving their dicks around and buying up studios with IPs I want to play, that I won't be able to play unless I get an Xbox (or shell out for overpriced PC). But, I did recently just buy a Switch, I got it brand new (Open Box) for under $200, so the price is what convinced me even though it's probably a terrible time to buy one as that announcement of a Switch Pro/Switch 2 has to be right around the corner. This is the first Nintendo console I've had extensive time with since the N64 (my Step Dad had a Wii, but I wasn't a fan of it so I didn't play it very much). So I got it for the same reason I want a Series X...the Nintendo exclusives. I only plan on playing games on it I can't get for PS5 as anything third party, I'd rather get trophies for (with the exception of NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered, it came with the Switch). 

It's a cool alternative machine to have, but games are egregiously over priced, even sellers on places like eBay or OfferUp are stingy on prices. And it's never going to take precedence over my PS5. But it has the benefit of unique games that are unlike anything on PlayStation and Xbox, so even having a SMALL desire to own a Series X, the Switch feels like a better investment in that regard. Wanting one or not, I wouldn't pay anywhere close to full price for it (granted I didn't want to pay retail for my PS5, but it was better and smarter than paying scalpers), so it likely won't happen anyways.  

Unless you have unlimited free time I would just stick with one. You could get another for exclusives or such, but thats up to you. I went to the console that has the better exclusives and where all my friends are. The amount of time and money I have put in these last few years alone for trophy hunting has made me never want to switch back.

If I had the time and money.. 

Nintendo OLED Switch and PC. 

Was too poor to own a PS1.

Bought a PS2 after high school and loved it.

Got the PS3 asap after it was released. 

PS4.. it really didn't have any games that made me go I must have it now! And didn't have a 4K Bluray player so I decided to skip that generation. 

And last the PS5...

Was dead set on getting it on launch, but wasn't lucky enough to get one.. Then covid happened... Then the CENSORSHIP... That put me off.. 

So the next console I'm going to get is the OLED Switch. I always wanted a PSV2 (Playstation Vita 2) and this time done correctly, but they think that since you have phones you can play mobile games and that's good enough..

The Switch is perfect for my situation cause I'm always away from home and working. Also they have games that PlayStation denied and they have uncensored versions of games. 

• Like 1