PS5 consoles surpass 19.3 million units while PS4 passes 117.2 million units

DaivRules

Isn't PS5 something like 3m units behind PS4 at the same point in its life cycle? I'm amazed that the gap is so small to be honest considering the huge restraints faced by the industry now and for the foreseeable future. I do wonder if PS5 will top the lifetime sales of PS4 because of this. I think if not for the current circumstances it likely would, but it's difficult to see it happening now. I think it will come relatively close though, probably at least 100m units sold overall.

I also wonder if this will be an unusually long console generation because of these supply issues. The third year of a console generation is typically the most successful in terms of units and games sold, so if supply is still an issue at that point we might end up seeing a longer life cycle. Maybe not. Either way I hope these supply issues get sorted sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Something tells me when you say Japanese, you really mean weeby/otaku shit. 

He doesn't understand that Japan encompasses all kinds of genres, not just JRPGs like Final Fantasy or visual novels, which I've done a few of. Yakuza is a Japanese franchise. Gran Turismo is a Japanese franchise, even though the racing series appeals greatly to western people like myself.

You can say I haven't played enough Dark Souls and so forth, but I have plenty on my profile that came out of Japan. Also, Sony is still technically Japan, even though we have Ryan of Sony of America and all that.

3 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

He doesn't understand that Japan encompasses all kinds of genres, not just JRPGs like Final Fantasy or visual novels, which I've done a few of. Yakuza is a Japanese franchise. Gran Turismo is a Japanese franchise, even though the racing series appeals greatly to western people like myself.

You can say I haven't played enough Dark Souls and so forth, but I have plenty on my profile that came out of Japan. Also, Sony is still technically Japan, even though we have Ryan of Sony of America and all that.

Ya know, I am starting to agree with @Infected Elite about your Jim Ryan problem. What did Jim Ryan and Sony ever do to you, huh? And don't give me that they don't care about the gamers crap. Sounds to me you have issues with Sony and Jim Ryan that is unhealthy.

• Like 1

As of March 2022, Sony has sold 19.3 million PS5 consoles.

Sony is looking to target selling 18 million more PS5's for fiscal year April 2022 through March 2023, almost doubling the number of PS5 consoles already sold.

So it's 19 million in 1.5 years (or slightly less).

And the plan is 18 more in 1 year.

This tells me they expect the chip shortage to start to die down in this timeframe.

Some analysts predict that the situation will stabilize around the end of 2022 - beginning of 2023.

Edited by Slava

44 minutes ago, Baranov_925 said:

Lovely. It's good news to hear that many people can get PS5's on their own.

Yep, I've managed to get 4. Mine on launch, sisters about a month ago. Two Friends on boxing day after launch. 

Thing is, if people want one bad enough they will put in the effort to get one. 

If a ps5 pro happens, I'll get that too just cause i can. 

3 hours ago, Alantor32 said:

Ya know, I am starting to agree with @Infected Elite about your Jim Ryan problem. What did Jim Ryan and Sony ever do to you, huh? And don't give me that they don't care about the gamers crap. Sounds to me you have issues with Sony and Jim Ryan that is unhealthy.

Let Caj keep whining and having his unhealthy obsession with Jim Ryan. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

A PS5 Pro when the PS5 is barely worth it as-is, and completely not worth it if you get a digital only version lol

how isn't it worth it? you don't like gaming in 4k? sure some games are ps4 as well but they don't look good. Or can you just not afford it?

Digital only version shouldn't exist lol even for Xbox

6 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

why not?

I have a physical PS5 and never used a disc

my entire library (hundreds of PS4 games) are all digital

I've been all digital since around 2010 (except of course for those PS3 games that were only released on disc. I had to buy those)

u can stream movies in 4k

maybe u don't have good internet? or u need to rely on second hand sales to buy/sell games?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

how isn't it worth it? you don't like gaming in 4k? sure some games are ps4 as well but they don't look good. Or can you just not afford it?

Because the games aren't there. I've had one for a long time and waiting for true PS5 exclusives is becoming exhausting

The thing is a PS4 emulator that I use primarily to play my disc games on

Edited by Deadly_Ha_Ha

5 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

why not?

I have a physical PS5 and never used a disc

my entire library (hundreds of PS4 games) are all digital

I've been all digital since around 2010 (except of course for those PS3 games that were only released on disc. I had to buy those)

u can stream movies in 4k

maybe u don't have good internet? or u need to rely on second hand sales to buy/sell games?

i have great internet. I also dont need to rely on second hand sales lmao. I'm pretty wealthy. I do have a large library of physical media, as is why i went with disc version, and also if friends wish to borrow games, they can. Instead of buying it for themselves. To each their own but i prefer physical. 

@Deadly_Ha_Ha fair statement.

Its been annoying how quiet Sony has been in regards to summer and fall releases. So much is just "2022".

I still think they would have had more PS5 exclusives if it wasn't for covid. They pulled some BS that they want everyone to enjoy their games so most games like Forbidden West and Ragnarok would also be available on ps4. Which annoyed me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/05/2022 at 4:31 PM, Infected Elite said:

Digital only version shouldn't

As far as I can tell, it doesn't. ?

I tried for ages to find one, as, for me, a disc reader is is nothing more than an extra dust intake, with like 15 additional points of potential failure...

...and I couldn't find one for love nor money!

Ended up having to take the ugly looking one with the awkward looking disc tray added... but hopefully it will last long enough that when it needs replaced, the digital one will be easy to find in stores :dunno:

• 1 year later...

Sales are declining though. Sony senior vice president Naomi Matsuoka revealed that the company sees a decline in the sales of the PS5 starting from April 2024 and concluding in March 2025. It's now expecting 21million units rather than the 25million, a full 16% lower than before. A sign we need PS5 Pro.

1 hour ago, Fing3rButt3r3 said:

Sales are declining though. Sony senior vice president Naomi Matsuoka revealed that the company sees a decline in the sales of the PS5 starting from April 2024 and concluding in March 2025. It's now expecting 21million units rather than the 25million, a full 16% lower than before. A sign we need PS5 Pro.

Thats a forecast, so it’s an expectation of decline, not a record of already declining sales, but yes, 4 years after the release of a console, or the release of anything, there should be an expected decline in new sales. 

However, I disagree that people should be conditioned to now want a more expensive new thing since the old hot thing isn’t new any more. Devs haven’t even optimized their games enough to fully take advantage of what the PS5 can do now, throwing more expensive hardware at their unoptimized code seems like the laziest route. Hell, very, very few even ditched the PS4 to release only their best versions of their games. 

If people want to feel an actual difference between console generations, this whole pro, midcycle release is just a money vacuum that’s going to make sure no two generations are going to really feel like an evolution. 

But it’s another case of people begging to throw money at something that’s contrary to what they say they want.

• Like 1

I don't see the point in a pro when games are still releasing cross gen. I'd much rather ditching the PS4 and making only next gen titles than a pro that will make all the cross gen games load maybe 0.1 seconds quicker. 

What would a pro actually accomplish in games like Ragnarök, Hogwarts, Diablo IV, Elden Ring, AC Mirage etc etc. It's only now companies are slowly moving over to next gen only and a pro isn't going to speed up that process. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

I don't see the point in a pro when games are still releasing cross gen. I'd much rather ditching the PS4 and making only next gen titles than a pro that will make all the cross gen games load maybe 0.1 seconds quicker. 

What would a pro actually accomplish in games like Ragnarök, Hogwarts, Diablo IV, Elden Ring, AC Mirage etc etc. It's only now companies are slowly moving over to next gen only and a pro isn't going to speed up that process. 

On top of that Sony has say a lot of the interest in development whent towards life service. SP was put on back burner the last few years. And going that games take min of 2 years. We aren't going to get anything surprising or new announcements till 2026.

So if you don't like the line up of 20 whole exclusives. There no point in buying a ps5. And by then its been 6 years into the systems life cycle. At best a few good exclusive would get put out. But at that point we will be looking into the ps6 or talking about it. Which will gen cross game like the last 2 gens.

This gen is just a stop gap gen. Like the ps3 gen was. But unless ps3. Doesn't have all the weird exclusive's do to weird tech.

5 hours ago, Fing3rButt3r3 said:

I'd prefer a price drop. I think the issue is that all those whoare preparedto pay $500 for a console have one now. Add to that a still recovering economy (all entertainment is seeing bad numbers, it's not just Playstation), and it would be a genuine surprise if the projections did not go down. Although at least from the area of writing, I can say, numbers are slowly going back to what they were before.

It should be noted that Covid was a great time to work in entertainment sales-wise. People were sitting at home, and they needed to be entertained, so this specific industry was booming. Not only is this over, but it was followed immediately by a major wave of inflation hitting people's incomes, making entertainment their last priority after paying for food and home.