Do you/would you own a gun?

Dreakon139

Was inspired by what someone said in another thread. How do you feel about guns? You don't need to be in immediate danger to own one. I know some people would absolutely refuse to have a gun in their house (and thusly would never own one). I know some people who do and would recommend it to friends. Where do you fall?

This isn't about laws on firearms and stuff (unless simply owning one is illegal where you live), just how you feel about guns in general and if you do/ever would own one.

I'm personally not opposed to the idea of owning one and actually I think it's a smart thing to have, though I don't think I ever will both because of peer pressure (my girlfriend and parents hate the idea, though I live on my own I don't think I'd enjoy the glares if I ever owned one and they found out) and the fact I don't entirely trust myself.

well, my dad WAS in corrections....he has a Gloch 17 (i think thats it, havent seen it in a while cuz he retired), a .357, and a shotgun...he also has some old Northern Vietnamese rifle that he said he'll give to me when i get older...it looks crappy and wont fire, but its :awesome:

....oh, and i have a pellet rifle, 1200 feet a second, and a scope...its like a low-power Shotgun B)

Oh yeah, I have owned guns for many decades, and still have a few as I type this.

I used to be a Range Master for a Skeet/Trap course as well as a Hunter Safety Instructor, and have had many weapons (shotguns, rifles...a few pistols). All the guns I have owned or still own are for either hunting or target practice. I have never seen the need to own anything like AK47's, Uzi's or other weapons of the sort however.

• Like 1

It's legal to own firearms in the U.K., but the laws are strict, they have always been relatively strict, but then someone went on a killing spree through a small town with a couple of rifles back in the 80's. Then someone else went all Columbine on a school in Scotland back in the 90's, restricting firearm ownership further. Even now the various laws are under review after a taxi driver drove around a town killing people with a shotgun last year.

To own a firearm in the U.K. you need a license, obtaining a license isn't easy, I can't quite remember all the details, but I think this is an interesting and important thread, so I'm going the lift it from wikipedia.

To obtain a firearm certificate, the police must be convinced that a person has "good reason" to own each firearm, and that they can be trusted with it "without danger to the public safety or to the peace". Under Home Office guidelines, firearms licences are only issued if a person has legitimate sporting or work-related reasons for ownership. Since 1946, self-defence has not been considered a valid reason to own a firearm. The current licensing procedure involves: positive verification of identity, two referees of verifiable good character who have known the applicant for at least two years (and who may themselves be interviewed and/or investigated as part of the certification), approval of the application by the applicant's own family doctor, an inspection of the premises and cabinet where firearms will be kept and a face-to-face interview by a Firearms Enquiry Officer (FEO) also known as a Firearms Liaison Officer (FLO). A thorough background check of the applicant is then made by Special Branch on behalf of the firearms licensing department. Only when all these stages have been satisfactorily completed will a license be issued, which has to be renewed every 5 years.

Any person who has been sentenced to three years or more in prison is automatically banned for life from obtaining a firearms licence. Similarly, persons applying for licences with recent, serious mental health issues will also be refused a certificate.

Any person holding a Firearm or Shotgun Certificate must comply with strict conditions regarding such things as safe storage. These storage arrangements are checked by the police before a licence is first granted, and on every renewal of the licence. A local police force may impose additional conditions on ownership, over and above those set out by law. Failure to comply with any of these conditions can mean forfeiture of the licence and surrender of any firearms to the police.

So yep, pretty strict, but to answer your question, no I don't own a gun, don't need one, don't want one.

• Like 1

Yep, I have multiple guns and don't see any downside at all. I have all my guns locked up so my kid can't get to them, and when he's old enough to shoot I'll take him out in the fields and teach him the proper way to handle and discharge a firearm, just as my father did with me, and his father for him. I will make absolutely certain that my Son knows the punishment he will receive if he so much as touches one of my guns without me. Safety and knowledge are the two most important things about gun ownership, and if a person has both of those I see no reason not to own a gun.

Is this about the post I made in the charity thread?

Parker

• Like 4

I have never seen the need to own anything like AK47's, Uzi's or other weapons of the sort however.

How could you with the way ammo prices are? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrb, there goes $150, great now what? Talk about cost preventative.

To the question, all I have right now is a 9mm. It's good fun shooting at the range but would like to add a .40 to the mix someday soon. Shooting skeet is way fun but I use friend's guns for that :ninja:

How could you with the way ammo prices are? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrb, there goes $150, great now what? Talk about cost preventative.

To the question, all I have right now is a 9mm. It's good fun shooting at the range but would like to add a .40 to the mix someday soon. Shooting skeet is way fun but I use friend's guns for that :ninja:

.45 for me. I've been watching a Kimber 1911. :holy:

Ammo prices go through the roof every time there's talk about new gun legislation and it's not just limited to the AR's.

I've got a Ruger LCP .380, just a little pea shooter, for the wife to use while I'm out and about delivering goodies. She has strict instructions that ANYBODY comes into the driveway, day or night, that she isn't expecting or doesn't recognize the vehicle, she's to have it out when answering the door. My next door neighbor (they live about 1/2 a mile away) learned that lesson the hard way. Popped in at 9:30 pm unannounced and almost got himself shot. A woman in the house alone for most of the week is a prime target for some sneaky bastard and she don't take no chances.

I live under that old West principle...you ain't got no business being on my land? You might be carried off it.

• 1 month later...

I dont own one at the moment but have previously in New Zealand as I shoot Trap (Clay Targets)

Ive just receieved my Australian QLD Firearms Licence (after a long wait due to laws here being very strict) so would be long before I buy another shotgun

I did own a couple of rifles back in NZ for Deer and rabbit shooting

I own a few. It's a fun time to hit the range and hang out with friends. My pride and joy is my M1 Garand that was manufactured in 1944, it has one heck of a kick and there is nothing like blowing off eight 30-.06 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger! Having kids around now I am a bit more cautious and I prefer to keep a gun lock on them. When they are old enough I'm sure I will show them how to properly and safely handle a firearm. Knowledge is power, I would rather they know about guns and teach them rather than having them come across a potentially unsafe situation and not knowing what to do.

• Like 1

I own a few as well and fully support firearm ownership. I agree that education is key especially for those with children.

I have my concealed weapon permits for NY and PA making it legal for me to carry in 19 states. I'm never more than a couple feet from one of my firearms.

I currently own a CZ75 9mm, Taurus Milleneum Pro 111 9mm, and a 7.65x54 Mosin Nagant. I have plans to pick up a shotgun in the very near future.

• Like 1

I don't see the point in owning a gun, but I can respect others desire to have um...

Not saying this offensively, as that is not my intent. But if you don't see a point in owning a gun, chances are you are either uncomfortable around them, unfamiliar with them, scared of them or a host of other things. For those such as yourself, owning a gun could indeed be a very bad decision as these are situations where gun ownership can lead to serious accidents, either to yourself or family members.

I would rather hear of folks like yourself who wish not to own a gun and follow through on that, rather than those who are afraid/uncomfortable of guns but own them anyway. One is a wise decision, the other is an accident waiting to happen.

• Like 1