New Characters Revealed as DLC

The link to the article can be found here

To summarize, XJ-9, Hugh Neutron, and Rocko are newly confirmed characters. This time, unfortunately, they are paid DLC. 

$11.99 for the combo deal or $4.99 individually. The only character released so far is XJ-9 with her own special stage.

Personally, I’m stoked for this. I loved both My Life as a Teenage Robot and Jimmy Neutron growing up, so this a definite buy for me. As for Rocko, I’m indifferent to the character as I never got into early Nickelodeon. But, I will buy him just to save $3.

This may influence a resurgence in the series, but given all of its hiccups, it’s still up in the air. At the very least, I may boot it up to replay Arcade.

Part of me hopes that the quip i made in the guide may have had some effect, but that’s unrealistic, lol. Still, I’m glad to have 2/3 of my favorites in. Now, when’s Rocket Power?!

Edited by Roronora_Zoro666
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here goes the rant I guess. 3… 2… 1…

…So putting all nostalgia aside for a moment, I don’t know what most of us are thinking right about now I believe that demanding players open up their wallets for access to these additional characters in a game like this is fucking dumb.

In the case of the upcoming Time Warner IP focused brawler “MultiVersus” I can justify forcing post-launch fighters behind a paywall because it’s going to be a F2P title. Getting as many players into the game as possible free of charge, then out of all those players there will be the ones who enjoy the game they’re playing and will likely will stick around, they spend money on the DLCs… That’s how the F2P business model works.

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl however, is a paid product. Yes I know its just become a free game as a part of June 2022’s PS Plus IGC but this isn’t an excuse to sell what should be free updates. I mean, it’s not “really” a free game if you need an active PS Plus subscription to keep playing the game, should you want to do that but your subscription expires you must either renew your PS Plus subscription or you could just go buy the full game, doing that means there’s no longer an expiry date.

I’m well aware that this is far from the first time a non-F2P title offers paid DLC but considering what’s here should be (I’ll say it again) post-launch content that could and very well should be added into the game, free for all players. Ignoring the fact it’s being given away to PS Plus members, this game is asking $70 at full price on the PlayStation Store in my country (Australia) and if I recall correctly, leading up to its release Nickelodeon made it quite clear they wanted this game to succeed enough for it to be a legitimate competitor against Nintendo’s Super Smash Brothers, both casually and in the E-Sports market. Personally the only Nintendo consoles I’ve ever had on me in my life are the Wii and the Original DS Lite (I still own both of mine actually, only I can’t remember the last time I touched either system). I’ve only ever played on a Switch casually with friends from high school that have one so please correct me if I’m wrong as I’m not too familiar with Nintendo properties as of recently but don’t remember seeing or reading anywhere before acknowledging that any of the additional characters added to Super Smash Brothers: Ultimate’s lineup post-launch having ever been sold as paid content (although given a number of controversial decisions Nintendo has made within the past half a decades I wouldn’t be surprised if they did do this in a future SSB entry).

Nintendo not monetising its post-launch content for SSB: Ultimate is the very reason for why I stated earlier in this post that I though putting a price on XJ-9, Hugh Neutron and Rocko was dumb. I can’t say I regret going as far as to use the adjective “fucking” because it’s that bad when the publisher (GameMill Entertainment, who aren’t even a major/AAA games publisher might I add) and its partner, Nickelodeon’s parent company ViacomCBS (or whatever the fuck they call themselves now, frankly I can’t keep up with most corporate branding/name changes these days) who provides the various licenses to begin, both show great interest in competing against others in the fighting/brawling scene scene but yet they’re taking a steps back by doing what they’ve done here. They can’t possibly compete with Nintendo by forcing players to spend money on new characters, something Nintendo didn’t do as they were expanding upon their own game yet it proved to be very successful, can they?

The only problem on Nintendo’s end here was the new Smash fighters themselves. Most are just characters from Fire Emblem, the others exist for the sake of funny haha internet memes such as Minecraft’s Steve and Sans of Undertale. Would’ve been nice to add Tails and Knuckles from Sonic The Hedgehog into Smash but instead Nintendo wanted more Fire Emblem. Ok thanks enough dumping on otakus and mangoes, I don’t want to go too off topic.

Edited by TurningRedEye

52 minutes ago, TurningRedEye said:

…So putting all nostalgia aside for a moment, I don’t know what most of us are thinking right about now I believe that demanding players open up their wallets for access to these additional characters in a game like this is fucking dumb.

In the case of the upcoming Time Warner IP focused brawler “MultiVersus” I can justify forcing post-launch fighters behind a paywall because it’s going to be a F2P title. Getting as many players into the game as possible free of charge, then out of all those players there will be the ones who enjoy the game they’re playing and will likely will stick around, they spend money on the DLCs… That’s how the F2P business model works.

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl however, is a paid product. Yes I know its just become a free game as a part of June 2022’s PS Plus IGC but this isn’t an excuse to sell what should be free updates. I mean, it’s not “really” a free game if you need an active PS Plus subscription to keep playing the game, should you want to do that but your subscription expires you must either renew your PS Plus subscription or you could just go buy the full game, doing that means there’s no longer an expiry date.

I’m well aware that this is far from the first time a non-F2P title offers paid DLC but considering what’s here should be (I’ll say it again) post-launch content that could and very well should be added into the game, free for all players. Ignoring the fact it’s being given away to PS Plus members, this game is asking $70 at full price on the PlayStation Store in my country (Australia) and if I recall correctly, leading up to its release Nickelodeon made it quite clear they wanted this game to succeed enough for it to be a legitimate competitor against Nintendo’s Super Smash Brothers, both casually and in the E-Sports market. Personally the only Nintendo consoles I’ve ever had on me in my life are the Wii and the Original DS Lite (I still own both of mine actually, only I can’t remember the last time I touched either system). I’ve only ever played on a Switch casually with friends from high school that have one so please correct me if I’m wrong as I’m not too familiar with Nintendo properties as of recently but don’t remember seeing or reading anywhere before acknowledging that any of the additional characters added to Super Smash Brothers: Ultimate’s lineup post-launch having ever been sold as paid content (although given a number of controversial decisions Nintendo has made within the past half a decades I wouldn’t be surprised if they did do this in a future SSB entry).

Nintendo not monetising its post-launch content for SSB: Ultimate is the very reason for why I stated earlier in this post that I though putting a price on XJ-9, Hugh Neutron and Rocko was dumb. I can’t say I regret going as far as to use the adjective “fucking” because it’s that bad when the publisher (GameMill Entertainment, who aren’t even a major/AAA games publisher might I add) and its partner, Nickelodeon’s parent company ViacomCBS (or whatever the fuck they call themselves now, frankly I can’t keep up with most corporate branding/name changes these days) who provides the various licenses to begin, both show great interest in competing against others in the fighting/brawling scene scene but yet they’re taking a steps back by doing what they’ve done here. They can’t possibly compete with Nintendo by forcing players to spend money on new characters, something Nintendo didn’t do as they were expanding upon their own game yet it proved to be very successful, can they?

The only problem on Nintendo’s end here was the new Smash fighters themselves. Most are just characters from Fire Emblem, the others exist for the sake of funny haha internet memes such as Minecraft’s Steve and Sans of Undertale. Would’ve been nice to add Tails and Knuckles from Sonic The Hedgehog into Smash but instead Nintendo wanted more Fire Emblem. Ok thanks enough dumping on otakus and mangoes, I don’t want to go too off topic.

I think the bigger issue is not that they are charging for new characters, but it's how small the character pool is. Even with Garfield and Shredder added for free, there are so many iconic characters missing.

Seriously, how is Jimmy Neutron or Timmy turner not in this game? After Spongebob, I'm pretty sure these are the most iconic Nickelodeon shows I can think of (maybe Rocket Power as well). 

Of course, to be fair, Smash has added to its roster every year, and instead of making a ton of new characters from scratch, it's more like they refine each kit for new releases. I think this game is pretty solid, but yeah, they just needed more characters in the initial launch. The DLC looks promising, but probably not something I would spend money on.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TurningRedEye said:

SSB’s post launch content is paid.

Joker (Persona), Steve/Alex (Minecraft), etc

However, even with you being incorrect on that fact, there is a major difference. SSB: Ultimate dropped with TONS of characters (I believe it was 69, with a dozen DLC characters), whereas this game has 20, with an additional 2 free & 3 that are paid.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Seriously, how is Jimmy Neutron or Timmy turner not in this game? After Spongebob, I'm pretty sure these are the most iconic Nickelodeon shows I can think of

Can't speak for Jimmy but The Fairly OddParents' reputation quality-wise has gone farther down the toilet than Ren and Stimpy could even dream of, so I imagine that's why it wasn't included.

11 minutes ago, Valzentia said:

Can't speak for Jimmy but The Fairly OddParents' reputation quality-wise has gone farther down the toilet than Ren and Stimpy could even dream of, so I imagine that's why it wasn't included.

Ludocity said they had only a few rejections because of global licensing issues, and OddParents could be a victim of that. It could explain why they missed out on the kart racing games. Quality shouldn't have anything to do with it.

• Like 2