Trophies ruined gaming !!

GMZ

I stand by this statement, over the years and the more time passed by i started to see it that way, i know this is a trophy site and you all love trophies and i am a trophy hunter myself but i am being honest here, but why i see it that way because:

- Online trophies:

Things like reach max level (level 50 or whatever) or get 1000s of kills can't be more boring by doing the same thing over and over, Games like Far Cry 2, Crysis 2, Inversion, Red Faction Guerrilla and many others and what comes out of it is another issue and it's boosting with new people that they either turn friends or assholes (by them not following the rules of boosting and make it harder and more tedious).

Or that the servers go down and ruin your platinum and your 100% profile.

- Difficulty trophies:

Some of these trophies are just ridiculous and bullshit, i am talking about games like Max Payne 3 and Wolfenstein II (Mein Leben) you can't tell me this is fun when games are meant to be for fun.

- Multiple playthroughs:

These type of trophies alone are enough to make me hate even my favorite game, example is Metal Gear Solid 4 i must beat this game 8 times, ok i love this game but i don't wanna play it 8 times this is insane !! or also a game called Way of the Samurai 3 i think you need to beat this game 7 times ....really no comment !!!

- Glitched trophies:

How unfair they are right ? especially those trophies that pop at the end of the game but they don't because they glitched on you and its developers don't give a shit about fixing them.

- Playing shit games:

I gotta admit trophies made my game collection a 100x bigger vs me as a casual gamer, the endless greed of wanting more and more trophies that made us stir away from playing good or better games, i even don't play Ratalaika games or any others like them and yet i feel like i thrown myself into a swamp, my entire life is not enough for me to finish the backlog, therefore because of trophies our gaming budget became 10x more than usual because of non stop buying games we may think they are good but they aren't and the DLCs and season passes and you know how greedy those companies became the day microtransaction was born.

Might be unpopular topic here but i felt i wanna let it out of my system, i could talk more and more about this if you people started commenting so what do you guys think ? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

[snip]

Some very good points have been made here, and I do agree to some extent, but while trophies may have made our backlogs bigger, it's given us a bit more of a reason to explore everything a game has to offer. For example, Ghost Of Tsushima. How many people would actually explore everything there is to see without trophies motivating some people to go find all the fox dens for example. 

However, as someone who had fallen into the trap of EZPZ games, and got out of said trap (I won't go into too much detail on that as I don't feel mental health stuff would benefit here) - Easy trophies are an addiction unfortunately and more and more people are falling into that. Not to say trophies are bad, but if you let them consume your life and your gaming lifestyle, then it becomes a problem. I'm glad I don't play those games now, but the damage is done anyway. 

There's always gonna be pros and cons to everything, but I'd say if you go about it how you want to, trophies are a good thing and provide a sense of achievement to people, but when it gets to the extent of some people, it can be too much and in the end, it's not always worth it. 

• Like 1

I've found good trophy design can enhance a game. I find the best trophies direct the player to explore all the game has to offer - eg see all the optional bosses and story beats, become proficient at game mechanics (Titanfall 2's Becomes the Master is a really good example of this) or to play in a different way. Trophies only become a problem when they cease to become intrinsic motivators and people get super stressed over thier trophy e-peen. Having said that, I don't disagree with OP's statement that some trophy designs are pretty awful and punish those who want to know the game inside and out or more casual trophy collectors - if you can beat the game on the hardest difficulty why should there be a trophy for a million kills? (I'm looking at your Star Ocean 4!).

I'll just say regarding playing low quality games for trophies. Just don't do it. You're not having a good time and no one else is going to respect your 6 stacks of Life of Black Tiger.

3 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Sounds like you let trophies ruin your gaming because you changed your gaming to fit earning trophies instead of the other way around. 

A game is just a game. You’re free to do as much as you choose to do. If/when it stops being fun, move on and seek fun elsewhere.

This exactly. It sounds like you need to set some personal boundaries with regards to how much time you spend on these trophies. Games come first, trophies are secondary. Gaming is supposed to be a fun hobby so maybe it's time for a break. 

4 hours ago, Helyx said:

My only real issue is when good games are ruined by terrible trophies (like Void Star in Dishonored).

This. Also not a fan of short/mid-sized games that add piles of obvious busy work for no other reason than to keep the player around for 100%.

38 minutes ago, Elerna2005 said:

I think they have made me enjoy games even more.

Same goes for me too. Sure, there are some, especially the multiple play through or speed run ones, that diminish the experience of the game itself if you put yourself through it. End of the day, that's my choice though.

What I really like is that the trophies (and the service that sites like this provide) is a snapshot of my entire gaming history from the time I booted up my PS3. My memory is crap. There are very few specific gaming memories from my PS2 era and beyond that I can remember. But going through my trophy list gives me great flashbacks to every instant of frustration, joy and tantrums down to the very minute, Quite a big pro in my book ?

• Like 2

I feel your alright to voice how you feel but I will say it is not ruining my gaming so far sure it becomes annoying but I plan to stop doing it after awhile as yeah. love trophy hunting but as you pointed out there is a lot of buggy and annoying trophies out there like say for example Doom 1 and 2. You need to beat all of nightmare mode with a co op not just any co op online it has to be someone next to you or share play it is not fun at all and plus it is to me bs.

As for buggy trophies I feel games like merc 2 world in flames damnge.ink and dead space 3s hardcore mode for me was a nightmare due to the fact of bugs and glitches ruining it. could say also MVC 3 as the mission mode didn't pop for some reason not sure why but yeah plus could also say Ninja gaiden 2 as the whole loopped load screen thing is bs for me but yeah.

Hard to earn trophies that you spoke of such as mein laben in wolf 2 and so on is annoying ones to have to earn as if you ask me Wolf 2 is a shitty wolf game and unfair with how much dmg you take and plus enemies are dmg sponges it is bs but same could be said of dead rising 1's 7 day survivor. however to defend that trophy it can be done easily if you get the real mega man blaster as that will make short work of anything in your way.

5 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Sounds like you let trophies ruin your gaming because you changed your gaming to fit earning trophies instead of the other way around. 

A game is just a game. You’re free to do as much as you choose to do. If/when it stops being fun, move on and seek fun elsewhere.

There is no in between when it comes to this, mentally you either care for trophies or the fun experience, that’s why i mentioned the MGS 4 example, what made me decide to become a trophy hunter is i liked the idea but devs went too far with them, i don’t wanna skip playing good games because of trophies but in the same time i don’t like to leave my games unfinished because there is a trophy that wants me to do stuff i don’t wanna do 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

There is no in between when it comes to this, mentally you either care for trophies or the fun experience, that’s why i mentioned the MGS 4 example, what made me decide to become a trophy hunter is i liked the idea but devs went too far with them, i don’t wanna skip playing good games because of trophies but in the same time i don’t like to leave my games unfinished because there is a trophy that wants me to do stuff i don’t wanna do 

Why can’t there be an in-between? Go for the trophies you have fun with, skip the ones you don’t? Seems like you’re forcing things to extremes when there is an infinite about of space between the two. 

• Like 1

Well, that's your opinion...

I don't believe that trophies/achievements ruined gaming. There are loads of gamers with decades-long career who haven't earned a single plat throughout his life.

I believe that gaming wouldn't change drastically when trophies/achievements never existed.

Edited by Baranov_925

And the worst parts, they're mandatory! 

You are forced to get every trophy, regardless of whether you have fun or not!

You're never allowed to turn off trophy notifications, or decide not to bother with some trophies for some games, or ignore playing bad games for the trophies, or admit defeat when a game beats you!

:shakefist::shakefist::shakefist::shakefist::shakefist:

...oh, wait... :hmm:

..no....

...that's not true. 

So I guess one could just take pleasure in the trophies they get, and let go of the ones you don't. :dunno:

You know...

...like a healthy person might.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

I stand by this statement, over the years and the more time passed by i started to see it that way, i know this is a trophy site and you all love trophies and i am a trophy hunter myself but i am being honest here, but why i see it that way because:

- Online trophies:

Things like reach max level (level 50 or whatever) or get 1000s of kills can't be more boring by doing the same thing over and over, Games like Far Cry 2, Crysis 2, Inversion, Red Faction Guerrilla and many others and what comes out of it is another issue and it's boosting with new people that they either turn friends or assholes (by them not following the rules of boosting and make it harder and more tedious).

Or that the servers go down and ruin your platinum and your 100% profile.

- Difficulty trophies:

Some of these trophies are just ridiculous and bullshit, i am talking about games like Max Payne 3 and Wolfenstein II (Mein Leben) you can't tell me this is fun when games are meant to be for fun.

- Multiple playthroughs:

These type of trophies alone are enough to make me hate even my favorite game, example is Metal Gear Solid 4 i must beat this game 8 times, ok i love this game but i don't wanna play it 8 times this is insane !! or also a game called Way of the Samurai 3 i think you need to beat this game 7 times ....really no comment !!!

- Glitched trophies:

How unfair they are right ? especially those trophies that pop at the end of the game but they don't because they glitched on you and its developers don't give a shit about fixing them.

- Playing shit games:

I gotta admit trophies made my game collection a 100x bigger vs me as a casual gamer, the endless greed of wanting more and more trophies that made us stir away from playing good or better games, i even don't play Ratalaika games or any others like them and yet i feel like i thrown myself into a swamp, my entire life is not enough for me to finish the backlog, therefore because of trophies our gaming budget became 10x more than usual because of non stop buying games we may think they are good but they aren't and the DLCs and season passes and you know how greedy those companies became the day microtransaction was born.

Might be unpopular topic here but i felt i wanna let it out of my system, i could talk more and more about this if you people started commenting so what do you guys think ? 

None of the reasons you put in there are really reasons why trophies ruined gaming. These are reasons why trophy lists can be ruined. Whether or not you let it ruin your gaming experience is pretty much on you.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with some of your points, but trophies are just a small (and for most gamers in general insignificant) part of the gaming experience.

Online gaming

Yes I don't like these much either, mostly because of server shut downs/dead servers after a while. But you can either parttake or just leave them, plenty of games with offline trophies only.

Difficulty

This sounds like you got one too many participation trophies in your life to be honest. Difficult challenges are the whole reason for the trophy thing. You say that games are supposed to be fun, and generally speaking video games should be, but a lot of people find challenges fun. Also, "games" as a concept are not necessarily to have fun, but to compete with others (think Olympic games).

Multiple playthroughs

Depends on the game. I don't mind a quick 2nd playthrough on a higher difficulty challenge on NG+, but games like MGS4 en Tales of Symphonia take it too far with about 7 playthroughs each. But again, the trophies aren't mandatory.

Glitched

Yeah, that sucks, but this generally happens with badly supported games, which I don't think are generally worth my time anyway. Plenty of games out there with a working trophy list.

Playing shit games

This is mostly why trophy hunting is ruined, not gaming in general.

There is always PC gaming (although platforms like Steam do have achievements) or Switch if you want an achievement less gaming platform.

Just have fun, don't let it ruin your gaming experience. I'm a trophy hunter myself too, but it's not the only part of gaming.

For me trophies  are a bonus to a game to extend its life in my playtime, to give it more detailed look on.

Thank God I am not a die hard trophy hunter.

First and foremost u should play games because you enjoy them.

I don't think trophies have ruined gaming. If anything, their inclusion was a sort of natural evolution. What I mean is, even back in the day when trophies didn't exist, many games still had 'in game' trophies or list of accomplishments for players to complete. It really was the same thing as trophies... just without the trophy notifications. I think for most players that enjoyed to 100% games back in the day (it was a nice feeling seeing the 100% complete on your save file), trophies were right at home for us. Say what you want about trophies, but gaming has always had a 'competitive' element to it, so it was a nice addition to be able to showcase trophies to other people online. I still remember how cool it was to compare trophies with friends for the first time on the PS3 back in the day. However, it doesn't need to be a competition with others. Compete with yourself instead. This translates to what others have said above... just collect the trophies you want to collect. Anyway, I digress now. 

On a side note, I noticed that most of the games you have listed are quite tedious. Many PS3 games (especially early PS3 titles) had really horrible grindy/difficult trophy lists because trophies were new at the time. Some trophy hunters enjoy this kind of stuff (myself) while others do not. Nothing wrong with this. If I had to put my finger on the problem here, it isn't that trophies have ruined gaming per say, rather it seems like it may be the choices you are making with your games. If you really want to play a game that has a trophy list you are not fond of, simply play the game on a blank account. There is no need to pass up on a game you're looking forward to playing simply because you don't like the trophies. This is a bad mindset, trust me. I have been there in the past. If I have one recommendation, I would maybe avoid the types of games you have listed above when it comes to collecting trophies (not because they are bad games, but because of the types of trophies they have). Again, I'm not saying you shouldn't play them because you should if you really want to, just do it on a blank account. Instead, find some great PS4 games you want to play (assuming you own a PS4) and focus on those because I feel as though PS4 games struck a better balance with the same types of trophies you discussed above. Just some food for thought... 

Glad that i see people react to my topic despite that the majority disagree with me, you all got points i can't deny that, the conclusion that i came up with from reading the comments is it may or may not ruin the gaming but if it ruins it i can reduce that by doing my best to avoid and cut down lots of unnecessary games, the problem is the damage is heavily done since i spent so much money on games i thought that i may like but whenever i try them it turns out a lot of them are shite !!! i am finding out more and more that only handful of games are good in this industry among those thousands of games, yes trophies made us explore more including obscure games/hidden gems but unfortunately it did not turn out well for me at least.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

i am finding out more and more that only handful of games are good in this industry among those thousands of games

If you really do feel this way, I think gaming might just not be for you... :S

...personally, the only problem I have is there is so many awesome games - and more coming out at such a furious rate - that I will never have time to get to even a fraction of them in one lifetime ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If you really do feel this way, I think gaming might just not be for you... :S

...personally, the only problem I have is there is so many awesome games - and more coming out at such a furious rate - that I will never have time to get to even a fraction of them in one lifetime 1f602.png

Excuse me, i am a gamer since the Atari, msx, NES, arcade games that work by inserting a coin and the list goes on and on and that means pretty much when i was a little kid back in he mid 80's and i still have those consoles to this day, just because i am a bit picky or i find good games less than you doesn't mean games are not for me, i can name you a long list of games i enjoyed or favorite games but like this now we will go off topic because we're talking about trophies here, i linked the quality of games to trophies by saying trophies made me go further by trying lesser quality games saying yeah why not try something else or something different. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

Excuse me, i am a gamer since the Atari, msx, NES, arcade games that work by inserting a coin and the list goes on and on and that means pretty much when i was a little kid back in he mid 80's and i still have those consoles to this day, just because i am a bit picky or i find good games less than you doesn't mean games are not for me, i can name you a long list of games i enjoyed or favorite games but like this now we will go off topic because we're talking about trophies here, i linked the quality of games to trophies by saying trophies made me go further by trying lesser quality games saying yeah why not try something else or something different. 

If you feel like you are not finding the good stuff among the slew of games, or are just having bad luck finding them, folks on here might be able to help - there is a lot of prime gaming knowledge on these forums!

What were the last few games you remember really enjoying?

Trophies made me explore tons of games I wouldn't play otherwise or wouldn't even bother with. It's true some games are a horrible experience to 100% but over the years I look back at my list and actually have a laugh how I achieved some of these grinds.

• Like 1