Game-flix will destroy gaming industry?

HamiTosh

Now that Sony is revamping PS Plus+PS Now and offering games for a would say small price, wouldnt that hurt gaming industry in the long run?

I mean for me at least im getting more hesitant to buy a game, if it MIGHT be on the game catalogue in future, how many games did i buy which now go for "free" on PS Plus collection or have been given away for free.Just feels stupid.

So as Sportify "revolutionized" music, at least here in Germany u see music is all about quantity shorter and more drops in short time to maximize play time.

Will gaming face the same fate?

Make it easy so even noobs can complete or want to play it = more downloads = more money for the developer

Whereas small developer will go down the drain if they dont participate, as more and more people might move to that subscription service.

Ah yeah, u want to be on first page as developer,pay more money,basically it  would just become a twich pendant.

Whoever hast most viewers will be in the top sport on the list....

I am really afraid of this.

At least for me the gaming industry is already initiating self-destruction with mtx

Edited by HamiTosh
typo

There is a huge amount to unpack in your post. I think alot of what you are saying is based on pure speculation.

I don't think the gaming industry will be ruined. All you'll be doing is access the entertainment that is part of that industry in a different way. The same thing happened with the movie, TV and music industry and there are still plenty of good movies, shows and albums out there.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'make it easy so that noobs can complete it' - do you mean accessibility options for folks with a disability to be able to enjoy the game? I don't get the general logic with your equation. Making a game easier absolutely does not guarantee more sales. Making a game with accessibility options would logically increase the amount of people that can access and enjoy the game. But neither guarantee more people will play the game.

If the game is shit, it doesn't matter how easy it is. The only time you see an easy game have that effect is on this site, and from people that want to inflate their trophy score faster. But if you take the total registered users on this site, we account for about 0.4% of total PS users globally. We're a pee in the ocean vs. the wider consumer base.

As for being hesitant to buy a game because of the new PS+ service because something might appear on the service that was once a priced game. I'm not sure what to say to that. But you might want to read up on some of the articles out there which clarify what is and isn't going to be on the service. It won't be like GamePass at all which is not sustainable long term and is not a profitable business option for Microsoft at all. You also have the choice to buy or not buy, but I think you are probably impeding yourself if you approach things like that. Waiting indefinitely for a game to become free on the new PS service is a pretty flawed approach in my opinion, there is likely always a chance, but if you know you'll like the game or you know it's going to be great, you should also probably buy the game and push some money out to the company that is making it if that's the case. The alternative is to sit on the sidelines and watch other people enjoy the thing you are waiting forever to become part of the subscription service.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

I wouldn't worry.

Every change in paradigm, and every new technology, has come hand-in-hand with fears that it will "destroy the gaming industry"

Whether it's VR, 3D, Polygons rather than pixels, FMV, Phone games, Micro-Transactions, Free-to-Play, Motion Capture, Steam, Streaming, Share-Play, or that Google streaming thing no one remembers...

...every one of them had "The End Is Nigh!" articles at the inception, talking about how the gaming industry would "never be the same again".

It never happens though.

Gaming as an industry will always adapt and endure.

Why?...

Simply because the fundamental core of gaming is also the fundamental core of humanity:

Humans like solving puzzles.

We are hard-wired to seek challenge, and to find satisfaction in the overcoming of those challenges.

In the end, I don't worry about the industry at large, because unless human nature changes, there will always be a desire for games.

The industry serving that desire might morph and change over time to suit the current market, but the need it satisfies will never die, and so neither will it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

There is a huge amount to unpack in your post. I think alot of what you are saying is based on pure speculation.

I don't think the gaming industry will be ruined. All you'll be doing is access the entertainment that is part of that industry in a different way. The same thing happened with the movie, TV and music industry and there are still plenty of good movies, shows and albums out there.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'make it easy so that noobs can complete it' - do you mean accessibility options for folks with a disability to be able to enjoy the game? I don't get the general logic with your equation. Making a game easier absolutely does not guarantee more sales. Making a game with accessibility options would logically increase the amount of people that can access and enjoy the game. But neither guarantee more people will play the game.

If the game is shit, it doesn't matter how easy it is. The only time you see an easy game have that effect is on this site, and from people that want to inflate their trophy score faster. But if you take the total registered users on this site, we account for about 0.4% of total PS users globally. We're a pee in the ocean vs. the wider consumer base.

As for being hesitant to buy a game because of the new PS+ service because something might appear on the service that was once a priced game. I'm not sure what to say to that. But you might want to read up on some of the articles out there which clarify what is and isn't going to be on the service. It won't be like GamePass at all which is not sustainable long term and is not a profitable business option for Microsoft at all. You also have the choice to buy or not buy, but I think you are probably impeding yourself if you approach things like that. Waiting indefinitely for a game to become free on the new PS service is a pretty flawed approach in my opinion, there is likely always a chance, but if you know you'll like the game or you know it's going to be great, you should also probably buy the game and push some money out to the company that is making it if that's the case. The alternative is to sit on the sidelines and watch other people enjoy the thing you are waiting forever to become part of the subscription service.

with easy for noobs I mean like GTA V on consoles, it has auto aim, cars are easy to drive, a lot of OP military vehicles for trolls and griefers, these in my eyes are noobs which get attracted to the game thus increasing sales,if a game is generally easier to handle for most people its gonna sell better.im not waiting indefinitelyofra game, just my personal eperience made me very hesitant, countless games i bough went on a service or were handed out for free,ofc this doesnt apply for everyone but i was probably in "bad luck there", for example Uncharted 1,2,3 and 4 i bought all of them ,and sony handed them for free years ago....10 years ago i bought DLC on uncharted, what happened they made it ALL FREE afterwards.
I am not betting on everything to go on a service its just, why would would i buy sth like sonys exclusives anymore, if they put it on ps plus?
Well I bough GTA VPS3 on release paying 70 bucks, but cant trust companies no more, also after some years they put out better versions with all DLC included or some other benefits,which agian makes me rather wait than pay more,sry I forgot to mention I grew in easy circumstances,so I am much more economic. Especially on games,another example, yes, I preordered NFS Heat,what happened one day after they reduced the price from 70 to 60 bucks, wouldnt u feel alittle bit weird about that?

6 hours ago, HamiTosh said:

with easy for noobs I mean like GTA V on consoles, it has auto aim, cars are easy to drive, a lot of OP military vehicles for trolls and griefers, these in my eyes are noobs which get attracted to the game thus increasing sales,if a game is generally easier to handle for most people its gonna sell better.im not waiting indefinitelyofra game, just my personal eperience made me very hesitant, countless games i bough went on a service or were handed out for free,ofc this doesnt apply for everyone but i was probably in "bad luck there", for example Uncharted 1,2,3 and 4 i bought all of them ,and sony handed them for free years ago....10 years ago i bought DLC on uncharted, what happened they made it ALL FREE afterwards.
I am not betting on everything to go on a service its just, why would would i buy sth like sonys exclusives anymore, if they put it on ps plus?
Well I bough GTA VPS3 on release paying 70 bucks, but cant trust companies no more, also after some years they put out better versions with all DLC included or some other benefits,which agian makes me rather wait than pay more,sry I forgot to mention I grew in easy circumstances,so I am much more economic. Especially on games,another example, yes, I preordered NFS Heat,what happened one day after they reduced the price from 70 to 60 bucks, wouldnt u feel alittle bit weird about that?

I mean, it's inevitable that games will go down in price at certain points after launch, eventually, some of those same games will become part of a subscription service but that usually only happens if the game doesn't do well at all and it needs an adrenaline shot to keep running. Or in a more traditional way once a 'popular' game isn't selling as well anymore after being out for a long time, the chances are higher it might go onto something like PS+. Thats all pretty normal really, i'm not saying I agree with the way it all works, but it's been like that for a long time.

We know for a fact that future Sony exclusives will not appear on PS+ on their release day so i'm assuming that depending on how successful each exclusive is, it might be up for PS+ inclusion 6-12+ months after release. Either way, I think it comes down to whether you would personally choose to buy a game day 1 or whether you would be okay with waiting 6-12 months (or more) for the game you want to appear on the service. I think if the waiting 6-12+ months approach was adopted by everyone, we would likely not get anymore Sony studio exclusives, or at least nothing with the same level of quality the current ones demonstrate, because they wouldn't be making any money to fund future games. 

Personally, if the game looks like it is something special, I would rather front the cash on day 1 to play it and enjoy it, rather than wait for potentially a year or more to play it on the service. It not only supports the studio to help them make more games, but I also don't have to sit and watch everyone else play it while I hold off.

There are pros and cons for each approach for sure and release day games aren't cheap at all. I rarely pre-order anything and I tend to wait for critic and user reviews before I commit my money to them. I've definitely made a few errors in my profile history though ? If it's a game that looks good and is something I'd be interested in I can rationalise the purchase.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

Even ET did not destroy our favourite medium... just made it grow up a little ;-) .  I do think like music then tv/film (albeit film is still going through this change), it was inevitable another non physical medium such as gaming was going to go more in this direction.  Companies tend to do whats in their pockets best interest and i'm sure we will see that play out with Sony holding back titles which they know they can get quick influx of buyers before ever considering adding it to a service.  I want to be a more conscious gamer but marketing, hype, offers and such will always play some part in me deciding how/when to get a game.  It's not like buying a car/house/island, though I get why some treasure their collections, so long as it brings them joy why justify.

I do harken for days of day 1 physical, no day 1 downloads, well QA'd games... but things change, we adapt and I would say just see what you enjoy, drop stuff you don't agree with, do more of what you do enjoy!  If anything I would say games becoming absolute juggernaut time sinks has become a bigger problem, think that has more to do with my age/job/family than anything :-).

On 16/05/2022 at 10:26 AM, KingGuy420 said:

You know Xbox has already been doing it for years right? With Day 1 triple A games, which I doubt Sony will do. If it was going to kill gaming it’d be dead already.

If you ignore context. Microsoft's sales compared to Sony and Nintendo weren't good and were declining on top of that. Gamepass is an attempt at killing the traditional selling of games which in theory will hurt their competition (Sony/Nintendo no matter what Microsoft claims that they're no longer in competition) heavily and allow them to finally get ahead. Thus far Gamepass has yet it seems not been able to hurt Sony/Nintendo's business. Even on Xbox there is a large number of people resistant to Gamepass. This is all with Microsoft it is thought investing and losing huge amounts of money on the affair. If subscription can't kill traditional sales in X years than subscription gaming may well fall apart completely, but if it can degrade traditional sales heavily then there is certainly reasons to worry about the effects that will have. In short, just because subscription has not yet succeeded in killing traditional, you can't assume that means it won't. 

Anyway, as for the worse effects this sort of thing can have on gaming. To start with subscription service gaming stacks the deck even further in favour of the big companies and especially platform holders. Amounts being paid to developers will lower as anyone not on a subscription will get killed. The event of a small company getting a massive hit that sells 10s of millions and being able to grow their company will vanish as while in the traditional system of sales they'll make a fortune and be able to expand with that capital, in a subscription service they'll get whatever the agreed fee was from the subscription service which will be a pittance in comparison to what they'd have gotten in the traditional system.