Survivor advice

Hi

I’m new to DBD. I started it a year ago and I couldn’t get past the tutorial ? anyway I picked it back up last week and have really enjoyed it so far.

however I’m really struggling with the survivors. I seem to be better with the killers and managed to get all their adept trophies straight away. The only one that gave me hassle was the nurse, but still got it in 6/7 matches. 

Ive got the survivor adept trophies but I’m struggling with perfect match, leaving with the key and some other miscellaneous trophies. Ideally I don’t want to spend ages being a survivor as I come out with little bloodpoints and need to prestige for the last trophies so need as many bloodpoints as possible. Really struggling to find the hatch before I’m killed for instance. 

which is the best survivor to use? What perks/add ons etc? I am always caught by the killer.. whereas the survivors in my killer matches can run rings round me! 

I’ve read guides and been on forums but most are talking about struggling with the killers which I seem to be better with and enjoy more. Any advice you can give would be great thanks ☺️

• Like 2

If you didn't already know, survivors themselves are basically just skins. Sure, they come with their own perks but those unique- or "teachable" as DBD calls them- perks are unlockable past Lvl. 30 in their respective bloodwebs. Once they're unlocked, they will show up in any other survivor's bloodweb. This is essential for making effective builds.

For example, you're worried about the low bloodpoints that you're getting per match. That tells me that you're either being killed off really quickly or that you're concentrating on just one or two aspects of the game. This isn't your fault; the game never really explains the four bloodpoint categories to you or what you have to do to get points in them. It's very easy to say "I'm going to concentrate on generators all match" which seems like the main objective and then walk away with a crappy return off of it. That's because doing gens, opening chests and leaving through the hatch only occupy the Objectives category and you can only earn a set amount of bloodpoints per category before it maxes out in the match. Doing all 5 gens solo would net you the exact amount of BP as doing 3. It caps at around 8K.

The other three categories, Altruism, Survival and Boldness, need to get some love in-match too. That means unhooking and healing other survivors where possible, taking hits for them in chase, engaging in and escaping chases, etc. Survival is an automatic 8K if you escape so don't worry too much about that one.

To help you with getting a perfect game, I'd recommend an all purpose build that helps to keep you moving towards the next objective.
- Detective's Hunch on Detective Tapp is great. Every time a generator is completed, you see an aura spread of all totems, gens and chests over a massive radius so you'll know exactly where to head next. This is amazing for hunting down Hex totems too which are big points.
- Empathy on Claudette is an incredible perk. You see the aura of injured survivors over 128 meters which not only helps you locate them for healing but also tells you exactly where the killer is when they're in chase.
- Lithe on Feng Min is my favourite escape perk. You get a speed burst on vaulting a window or pallet to make distance and escape a chase. A lot of killers will just give up and drop chase when you do this as it's not worth their while spending the extra time to chase you down.
- Windows of Opportunity on Kate Denson will give you tons of value if you're not great at running the killer or "looping". You see the auras of every pallet and vaultable window around you with absolutely no cooldown or restriction.

You can also get big stacks of bloodpoints if you switch one of these perks out for David King's We're Gonna Live Forever and, to a lesser extent, Dwight's Prove Thyself, both of which put big multipliers your bloodpoints based on either your survivor unhooks or co-op actions.

For getting hatch, Bill's Left Behind will show you its aura when you're within 32 meters of it. Leaving with the key is a real pain in the arse anyway; keys used to be a huge part of DBD until they were nerfed into the ground and the entire hatch system was changed. The trophy for it used to be having four survivors escape through the hatch at the same time- at least it was back when I got it- but now you have to wait for the killer to close the hatch when it spawns, then unlock it with the key and escape. There's definitely some luck involved in this but I will say- and this goes for any other trophies you're after- if you see a friendly killer that's just playing around, take full advantage of the situation. Get them to follow you with gestures, point at the hatch, etc. The smart ones will usually help you out. I did it a ton back when I was grinding for trophies as killer.

I 100%ed this on PS5 recently so if there's anything else you need to know, feel free ?

• Like 1

These tips are awesome Thankyou. I’ve found being a survivor really tedious because I can never get away from the killer easily. I think I’d enjoy it much more if I had a chance.

Yeah I’ve got a key now to use but I’m worried about losing it before I manage to escape through the hatch. I can never find the hatch anyway in the game so I’ll definitely try that perk of bills. 

ive not come across many friendly killers yet unfortunately. It’s a shame you can’t message killers beforehand otherwise I’d just beg. I’ll have to learn the gestures I can’t do those yet. 

and wow 100% there’s sooooo many trophies congrats!! ☺️

32 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

These tips are awesome Thankyou. I’ve found being a survivor really tedious because I can never get away from the killer easily. I think I’d enjoy it much more if I had a chance.

Yeah I’ve got a key now to use but I’m worried about losing it before I manage to escape through the hatch. I can never find the hatch anyway in the game so I’ll definitely try that perk of bills. 

ive not come across many friendly killers yet unfortunately. It’s a shame you can’t message killers beforehand otherwise I’d just beg. I’ll have to learn the gestures I can’t do those yet. 

and wow 100% there’s sooooo many trophies congrats!! 263a.png

If you press up/down on your D-Pad, you'll get a wave and a point. People usually use it to taunt the killer but it's also good for telling other survivors to go away if they keep blowing up the gen you're on. ?

Survivor can be super tedious in solo queue. I never really enjoyed it until I found a few people to play with on mic and then it's hilarious. A lot easier to get trophies as well, seeing as you're more co-ordinated and helping each other out. There's a brown offering that spawns the hatch outside the killer shack or the main building on a map. If you can get a team together to help you, you'll have three other people to distract the killer while you escape through the hatch.

And thanks, yeah, took me a year and a couple of months maybe? They'll be releasing a new chapter very soon so who knows when it'll be truly 100% done. Love the game though so I don't mind.

• Like 1

Maybe it takes a bit more time since it requires learning. 

There is consistency in the buildings / constructions, so its recommended to learn how to loop the different structures. that is king in dbd since it stalls the killer and keep you safe.

An exanple is below. But yeah it requires a bit time to get around it and while not neccesarely needing, (I mean you could literally finish ot while getting carried.) It is recommended.

• Like 2

Ah see I didn’t think you could get in the same match as other people you know. I might give that a go. Otherwise I’ll never get the perfect escape trophy! 

I thought playing as the killer would give me more experience of survivors but it hasn’t helped really ? I just come out with 10,000 bloodpoints if I’m lucky. 

I think Im just getting exasperated with being a survivor so always end up going back to killer as I’m not god awful with that ? I guess I have to practise! 

55 minutes ago, SairenOne said:

Another good advice is: find at least one good partner. as team you can hunt for trophies more efficient...

p.s.: buy EVIL DEAD: THE GAME. Its way more fun ! ;)

I’ve been eyeing this up! Is it good then? I’ll definitely be getting it ☺️

29 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

Ah see I didn’t think you could get in the same match as other people you know. I might give that a go. Otherwise I’ll never get the perfect escape trophy! 

I thought playing as the killer would give me more experience of survivors but it hasn’t helped really ? I just come out with 10,000 bloodpoints if I’m lucky. 

I think Im just getting exasperated with being a survivor so always end up going back to killer as I’m not god awful with that ? I guess I have to practise! 

Yeah, it's as easy as just clicking the three crosses next to your character on the pre-lobby screen and inviting people in. Voice chat in party gives you a massive advantage.

When you go for Perfect Escape, just try and keep a tally in your head of what you need to do. If you can complete 3 generators from start to finish, open a chest and then open one of the exit gates, that'll easily give you enough points in Objective. For Altruism, try and unhook and heal at least three survivors. Survival is easy, you just have to escape. Boldness is probably the toughest because it's mostly based on proximity to the killer and escaping chases but cleansing totems also counts towards this for some reason. Dull totems are worth around 600pts each and Hex totems are worth 1000. Hanging around in the basement with the hooks also gives you boldness points, as does hiding in and exiting lockers close to the killer.

It sounds tough but as you get more games, you'll find so many of these trophies just pop naturally.

• Like 2

Thanks for that run down that’s incredibly helpful. I cleanse these totem things but I’ve only got 1 towards the hex trophy ??‍♀️ 

I’ll keep trying with survivors, the killer ones came naturally but the survivor ones just aren’t. I can’t even vault very well ?

1 minute ago, tonkie18 said:

Thanks for that run down that’s incredibly helpful. I cleanse these totem things but I’ve only got 1 towards the hex trophy ??‍♀️ 

I’ll keep trying with survivors, the killer ones came naturally but the survivor ones just aren’t. I can’t even vault very well ?

If you didn't know already, Hex totems are the ones that are lit up. The others are just called "dull totems". I don't know if you've used any of the Hex perks while you were playing killer but if you cleanse them as a survivor, it essentially deactivates that perk for the rest of the match. Hence, a lot of killers will try and protect them where they can.

A good tip for vaulting is that there's actually three speeds you can do it at. The slow vault is the one you do without holding the sprint button. Then while you've got the sprint button held, you get two different vault speeds depending on the angle you try to vault the window or pallet at. If you come at it from an angle, you'll go slower. If you hit it straight on, you'll get over it faster. Perks like Spine Chill and Resilience are common and increase your speed at doing lots of things if you're injured or the killer is chasing you. If you take them both together, they can give you up to an 18% speed boost for vaulting which is crazy helpful.

• Like 1

I have always been a killer main but I started playing survivor with my friends and really got into it. The grind is much easier and less stressful if you have a good team mate who can aggro the killer and keep them busy. Also makes it much more fun and stops you getting angry of mistakes you make or sweaty killers haha.

I platted the PS4 list and I am one trophy away from the PS5 version plat sadly the trophy is hemophobia which I am finding next to impossible this time around :/ 

Hope the game doesn't stress you out too much. Honestly the thrill of getting a clutch and then the reward of a trophy from it is quite brilliant. Haha

• Like 1

I think the main thing I need to do is find some friends ? if anything it sounds like the experience is more enjoyable. I have a few killer trophies left like blink 3 times - I haven’t done the nurse bloodweb yet. But they don’t really bother me I know they’ll come. But the survivor ones ? I have done so many matches and can’t even get the repair broken generators one or vault one it’s going up so slowly! 

20 minutes ago, konaboy322 said:

I have always been a killer main but I started playing survivor with my friends and really got into it. The grind is much easier and less stressful if you have a good team mate who can aggro the killer and keep them busy. Also makes it much more fun and stops you getting angry of mistakes you make or sweaty killers haha.

I platted the PS4 list and I am one trophy away from the PS5 version plat sadly the trophy is hemophobia which I am finding next to impossible this time around :/ 

Hope the game doesn't stress you out too much. Honestly the thrill of getting a clutch and then the reward of a trophy from it is quite brilliant. Haha

Yeah I need that trophy too! Harder than it sounds. I’ve barely got the asylum map or any of the maps I need for the special escape trophies. Yeah I’m always getting aggrod as the killer ? now I know it’s a bunch of friends taking the mick out of me ?

The only thing that’s stressed me out on this game is multiple players with flashlights taking the mick ?

Thank you for posting the topic and to those giving tips, I pick up and give up on this one very regularly as I just about grasp the basics and then give up again for a while but there are already several tips on here I'd never considered.

I've not played as a killer yet at all as the tutorial confused me and even that was a long time ago, when I get into the survivor loop I do enjoy it though, although slightly more when the killers area bit forgiving when they see me floundering.

Good luck Tonkie18 and anyone else that comes here for the excellent tips!

• Like 1

I couldn’t even get the tutorial unlocked last year. I couldn’t work out the generator business.. I was using the L3 button and turning it around over and over. It just clicked last week that it’s L1 ?

It's important to learn how looping works if you want to survive. If you are being chased, try stunning with the killer with pallets, vaulting through windows, and cut corners sharply when circling in buildings. Do anything to waste time! Even if it's cutting a corner out of sight, then stop running and trying to hide (it's pretty hilarious). Those are the basics (and pretty obvious).

However, if you want to be more successful getting away and looping, always try to have your camera on the killer and don't lose track of him/her. You can play some big mind games and predict their path to really frustrate them. When I was playing against lower tier killers, I would literally have killers stop chasing me because 3-4 generators would be done by the time he finally hit me and realized he was going to lose.

I'm also a firm believer that if a killer camps at a hook, do a generator and wait before saving if possible. A lot of times, you can punish them for it and almost give them an auto loss in some cases if your teammates chip in.

Lastly, I think Claudette or Nea are the best beginner leveled survivors to use as Nea is good for being sneaky and Claudette is good for healing, but you can really use anyone. If you have the DLCs I think there are quite a few good characters to choose from as well.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

I think its safe to say the game is super sweaty as both killer and a survivor but sometimes matchmaking comes through and the game just hits perfect. My silly survivor tactics pay off and I feel unstoppable or the survivors trying to be brave underestimate me and I demolish them haha. 

When I first started the game is what no crossplay so players would message me and call me baby killer in my first games trying to get to grips with new characters so I'm thankful thats over haha.

Now I'm very decent killer and mid survivor so both can be fun. Ive used all my own and all of my friends offerings for asylum and its either the wrong map or a sweaty killer tunneling me because I'm playing the gens haha hope I get a friendly or AFK killer one day!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

I couldn’t even get the tutorial unlocked last year. I couldn’t work out the generator business.. I was using the L3 button and turning it around over and over. It just clicked last week that it’s L1 1f648.png

???
We've all done it. The amount of times I've been losing my mind on a bit of a game and I'm just pressing the wrong button or going the wrong way, man... I wonder how I've lived this long.

3 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

It's important to learn how looping works if you want to survive. If you are being chased, try stunning with the killer with pallets, vaulting through windows, and cut corners sharply when circling in buildings. Do anything to waste time! Even if it's cutting a corner out of site, then stop running and trying to hide (it's pretty hilarious). Those are the basics (and pretty obvious).

However, if you want to be more successful getting away and looping, always try to have your camera on the killer and don't lose track of him/her. You can play some big mind games and predict their path to really frustrate them. When I was playing against lower tier killers, I would literally have killers stop chasing me because 3-4 generators would be done by the time he finally hit me and realized he was going to lose.

I'm also a firm believer that if a killer camps at a hook, do a generator and wait before saving if possible. A lot of times, you can punish them for it and almost give them an auto loss in some cases if your teammates chip in.

Lastly, I think Claudette or Nea are the best beginner leveled survivors to use as Nea is good for being sneaky and Claudette is good for healing, but you can really use anyone. If you have the DLCs I think there are quite a few good characters to choose from as well.

This is great advice also. Try to get used to keeping your camera on the killer while looping early. You will run into stuff like an idiot while you're learning but it's invaluable. There's add-ons for the key that allow you to see the killer's aura while in chase which you can really use to mess with them. Better still, if you learn even the basics of looping at the killer shack- the small building on all outdoor maps with a pallet, two doors and a window- you can tie them up for a long time if they refuse to drop chase. There used to be some insane infinite loops on specific maps like Haddonfield but I think most of these have been patched out now.

While you can get a lot of solid pointers for playing normally, some of these trophies force you to play like a bit of a coward/asshole. You'll probably get some abuse for it (I sure did) because the DBD community can be absolutely awful. Just another good reason to play with your friends. 

I haven’t come across any toxicity yet, but I’m sure I will in time. I’d love to learn this looping business. I’m going to try again this afternoon. 

I’m so glad no one is calling me names on it yet cause I’m really argumentative and end up arguing for ages with saddos ?

oh gosh not sure about the camera on the killer thing. I’ll have to try it. I get nauseous sometimes with games - I thought the biggest hurdle would be playing as first person as the killer but it’s not actually been too bad.

45 minutes ago, konaboy322 said:

I think its safe to say the game is super sweaty as both killer and a survivor but sometimes matchmaking comes through and the game just hits perfect. My silly survivor tactics pay off and I feel unstoppable or the survivors trying to be brave underestimate me and I demolish them haha. 

When I first started the game is what no crossplay so players would message me and call me baby killer in my first games trying to get to grips with new characters so I'm thankful thats over haha.

Now I'm very decent killer and mid survivor so both can be fun. Ive used all my own and all of my friends offerings for asylum and its either the wrong map or a sweaty killer tunneling me because I'm playing the gens haha hope I get a friendly or AFK killer one day!

Baby killer ?

Best advice I can give and anyone should give is to learn to become a good runner. Those are the most valuable teammates you can have. 

To become a good runner there are several good perks to help you. Windows of opportunity is great since it show you all pallets and vaults in a 24 (iirc) meter radius. Combine that with an exhaust perk and spine chill & resilience for faster vault and you have a really good build. 

Also something important to become a good runner is to look behind you often. When starting it is enough to do so when you get close to a pallet or vault. That way you know if you need to drop the pallet or if you need to go right or left after a vault since you can see where the killer goes and you go the opposite direction. I see so many survivors that run straight into the survivor after a vault or pallet drop. 

learn where to stop running. What I mean by that is that you need to know which corners to stop by and look for the red stain. Since killer often backtrack and try to “mind game” you its important to learn this. You don’t always need to keep moving. There are great videos out there showing you how to run each tile. Tiles are safe areas like shack, L & T walls and jungle gyms. 

DO NOT drop pallets if you are healthy. Only drop them if you are injured or if the killer has an insta down perk or ability. No need to drop it if you are healthy instead use the speed boost from being damaged to reach another safe are with vaults/pallets. 

Loop the structures that the pallets are connected to before dropping them. Try running around whatever structure the pallet is tied to as many times as possible before dropping it. The more pallets you have late game the better you teams chance of success. 

Run close to the walls when looping. Don’t run large circles around stuff since if you do the killer will catch up a lot quicker. Kinda think like racing. Cut corners as short as possible. Killers have larger hit boxes meaning that they have to take wider circles around stuff compared to survivors. 

Don’t be afraid to be injured. I see so many survivors just stand in a corner doing nothing at all when injured because they are to scared.  Bring medkit or a healing perk if you feel insecure when injured or Iron Will (you make no sound when injured). Only play passive when injured and on your final hook. 

Don’t play this game as a stealth game. All survivors I see playing this like it’s metal gear solid perform really badly. The hide behind something but they still get found and when they do they give up that first hit at the very start of the chase meaning they are already at a disadvantage beeing injured just when the chase starts. It’s better to start running early and get a head start to a safe area. 

If you play solo the best perk imho is Kindred. When you are hooked all other survivors see other survivor auras and the killer if he is within 16 meter of a hooked survivor. You get these benefits whenever another survivor is hooked. This perk lets you know if you should go for the unhook or stay on whatever gen you are on. Meaning you won’t waste time running across the map to get the unhook only to have someone beat you to it. It let’s you play really effective. 

Learn all the perks and killer powers. You play differently against each killer and also depending on what perks they bring. Study the perks after a match to see what killers run and what their power does. 

Don’t be discouraged by the game. There is a lot to learn and will take time to become decent at it. Just stick with it and learn from your mistakes.  Also playing with someone else makes it more fun even if you don’t have comms. Just send a friend request if ever fell like playing ?

These are just a few tips. The ones I find most important. Good luck and have fun learning the game. It’s great. 

Edited by Quink666
  • Like 1

Thanks @Quink666 lots of good advice and I’m guilty of quite a few of the things you mentioned. Now you’ve pointed it out, it’s common sense. 

Think I need to spend some bloodpoints on the survivor bloodwebs as I don’t have a lot of perks to choose from. 

Im going to give it another go and see if I do better this time around ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

Thanks @Quink666 lots of good advice and I’m guilty of quite a few of the things you mentioned. Now you’ve pointed it out, it’s common sense. 

Think I need to spend some bloodpoints on the survivor bloodwebs as I don’t have a lot of perks to choose from. 

Im going to give it another go and see if I do better this time around 1f648.png

Remember that in the store you have something called shrine of secrets. Each Tuesday (in my time zone at least) they refresh and offer 2 new killer and 2 new survivor perks. You can buy them for 2000 iridescent shards. If it’s the first time the perk is in the shrine it costs 2700. This is a great way to snag some new perks without having to level up a survivor. 

Also remember to choose a challenge is the Tome. It’s a great way to snag some extra blood points every now and then. You can even do all the previous 9 tomes’s challenges for even more blood points. 

Edited by Quink666
  • Like 2

Guys, thanks for all the advice yesterday had a much more productive day coming out with double the amount of bloodpoints - I’m not sure what amount is good, but it’s better than I was getting. I’m still completely rubbish but managed to knock off 4/5 of the survivor trophies in the last day. 

The main ones left will be prestige (what gets me the most bloodpoints?)

and these stupid hex totems (any advice welcome)