Underappreciated Gem

I'm about 20-25 hours into Amalur now, going for the plat and I am absolutely loving this game! It gives me a lot of early 2000's RPG vibes, like Drakan the Ancient Gates on PS2, Divinity II, Two Worlds, and others from that time. Really sad how poor the reception was, but thankful THQ was able to revive it. 

Anyone else really surprised by this game? I find myself just exploring to listen to the soundtrack, and really like the different characters and enemies. 

• Like 4

I wasn't really surprised cause I played the original release on Xbox 360 back in the day like 10 years ago, was awesome back then and is still awesome to this day. KOAR is still one of my favorite rpgs of all time, shame the OG version few under most people's radars until the "Remastered" version released a couple of years ago. The game sold relatively well back then but not well enough to recoup what was spent to make the game, so it was deemed a failure and the studio ended up shutting down shortly after it released. 

Pretty crazy backstory of how a retired MLB player Curt Shilling founded 38 Studios and somehow convinced the state of Rhode Island to load him a SHIT LOAD of money to make KOAR. It's fascinating to read about and I'd suggest giving it a google if anyone is interested, dude ended up lossing soo much money making Kindoms in the long run lol. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Unless you're 20, 2012 isn't back in the day.

It's even my signature on gamefaqs because people kept saying back in the day when talking about Kingdoms of Amalur. Like, back in the day is half your life ago. At least.

To me 2012 was yesteryear.

OT - Awesome game indeed. Riddled with bugs at rerelease tho and those atrocious loading times. I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone just for those loading times alone. My buddy would slap me after sitting through 10 of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished this and thought it wasn't very good at all.  A typical poor open world game, too many side quests which are too short and all amount to the same thing.  No memorable characters or quests.  Which also diluted the main quest by having to doing 10-15 hours of side quests between main story quests.  And even so, the main story wasn't very good.  The gameplay, even on hard, was basically mindless button bashing and too easy.  This type of open world game is popular these days, I was hoping with it being an older game it would have been better.

• Like 1