Does one need to play the first games in order to understand Mega Man Zero/ ZX?

Are the Mega Man collections connected by a story, or are they all separate games that can be played separately without having played the previous part? I would like to start with Mega Man Zero/ Zx but not if I have to play all the other Mega Man games first (which I may do, but I'll probably buy 1 legacy collection at a time). I might buy the very first legacy collection alongside another one since it's really cheap in sale. But only if the story of the games does not follow on from each other.

Edited by its_ArchroniX

If I recall correcly, the Zero series has a different timeline and story-wise it is darker and more mature than any other Mega Man series. I guess  there is no problem starting with Megan Zero and play the collection in the natural or release order. 

Answering your question, yes, you can play only Zero/ZX collection  and fully enjoy the story of that saga. With that said, I hope you enjoy it and pick up more Mega Man games after that!

GravityQueeen.png

Edited by GravityQueeen
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, GravityQueeen said:

If I recall correcly, the Zero series has a different timeline and story-wise it is darker and more mature than any other Mega Man series. I guess  there is no problem starting with Megan Zero and play the collection in the natural or release order. 

Answering your question, yes, you can play only Zero/ZX collection  and fully enjoy the story of that saga. With that said, I hope you enjoy it and pick up more Mega Man games after that!

GravityQueeen.png

It takes place after the Mega Man X series timeline, a few hundred years. As both Zero and X are mentioned numerous times during the elf war events

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

It takes place after the Mega Man X series timeline, a few hundred years. As both Zero and X are mentioned numerous times during the elf war events

With that in mind, do you recommend to play Megaman Zero/ ZX first and play the "classic" Mega Man games after that? Purely looking at it story-wise

1 minute ago, its_ArchroniX said:

With that in mind, do you recommend to play Megaman Zero/ ZX first and play the "classic" Mega Man games after that? Purely looking at it story-wise

Never played zero/zx so I can't really comment on that, just know about the timelines. You probably can, the stories in each series are self-contained enough that you don't need to go back and play the prior series.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2022 at 7:57 AM, its_ArchroniX said:

Let's say it's recommended to play MMX Series first, but it's not necessary.

I believe as long as you know who the characters are (Zero and X, maybe Sigma too) it's okay to start with the Zero series.
I've only played SNES Mega Man X1, X2 and X3 and then the Zero series and didn't feel like I needed to play the previous games.

You can play Mega Man X as Zero prequels without any problems

It goes Megaman -> MMX -> MMZ -> MMZX. The X and Z series are obviously tied together since in MMZ it's Zero from the X series after a few centuries stasis. I would at least read up on the X series events if you're going to play Z/ZX but I won't say it's absolutely essential. Classic Megaman is a little bit miscellaneous to all this (there's some plot connections but that's not to say you need to play the games first), but it's important to know the general timeline of events.

From what i remember megaman x8 ended on a cliffhanger but its not that important as its basically just the final arc before the elf wars begin thats missing (which was the transitory period between the x and zero series) and the games do a decent enough job of giving us the cliffnotes of what happened between x and zero and zx and legends(zx advent also ends on a cliffhanger as well but we at least know that series was supposed to end with a global flood) but there is a japan only book that largely explain the timeline between the x and zero series if you want to read into it more(theres wiki pages explaining it in detail). Also the classic series is largely unimportant as aside from the fact that wily created zero and x was dr lights last creation before he died we know absolutely nothing about what happened between classic and x(though there are fan theories that wily found a way to stick around and eventually became dr weil in the zero series).

• Like 1