Opinion piece regarding difficulty / "cheesing"

that_dude_cam_ps

On 19/05/2022 at 1:27 PM, DaivRules said:

That might be true because it sounds like this is just your problem with the word cheese and how you’re interpreting it. 

Cheese, the way I read it, just means simplify. You seem to be taking it as a personal insult.

Hehe, someone took the bait.? I think it's pretty much irrefutable for most people to say that guides have a big impact.

Especially when your time is limited, guides are what makes trophy hunting possible.

Edited by Mellenthin

I completely agree with everything you said here. However, I can’t help but feel like you’re taking this way too personally, like you’ve been personally insulted or like by cheesing a boss you will be outed as some kind of fraud and shunned by the community. The word “cheese” in the context of a Souls game has a lot of different meanings and interpretations from player to player, and in a wider context it’s not even really seen as being an overly negative thing or all that big of a deal. We’ve all done it to some extent at some point.

6 hours ago, that_dude_cam_ps said:

Look, what I’m trying to say is: Elden Ring is not a traditional Soulslike. It looks like one, it plays like one, but it doesn’t always feel like one. Between the builds, the skills, the spirit ashes, the summons etc., you can really self-regulate the difficulty level.

Well said. The Souls games have always had a reputation for being hard, but fair. And no obstacle in these games ever feels insurmountable because the game gives you so many different tools to work with, and ways to gain an advantage if you need one. Whether it’s summoning another player to help with a tough fight, or simply farming souls to augment your stats, these kinds of tools are built into the game and intended to be used.

I haven’t yet had the pleasure of playing Elden Ring, but from what I understand the developers included a huge variety of tools like this, and intended for players to use them more than any other game before. I read that they expected (and hoped) that ER would be more accessible and appeal to a wider audience, with more overall players making it to the end credits than in any of their previous titles.

I’m really glad that Elden Ring didn’t get an “easy mode” like so many of these games journos were crying for during it’s development. Because from what I understand, the game doesn’t need one. The accessibility is built right into the world itself. The open world format and the sheer depth of this game does exactly what you said — it allows each individual player to self-regulate and tailor the difficulty to whatever suits them, without missing out on anything or ruining the journey as it was intended to be experienced.

Each player gets to decide for his or her self what they want to get out of it. And with so much potential for replayability, everyone should be further encouraged to just play however they want to play. There’s no unwritten rule saying you have to do the equivalent of a solo SL1 run during your first playthrough. There’s plenty of time for that later on. ? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Copanele said:

Example 4 - Elden Ring, the Fire Giant has a "I've fallen and I can't get up" moment if you lure him off the cliff.

This is the only way I could beat this boss ?

Wasn't the best at the game, managed to get the platinum though 

Used Mimic tear+10 and some magic attacks I can't remember the name of, hell I even used the bird glitch to give myself a load of extra levels/stats

most importantly though I had fun playing it this way and if anyone has a problem with that and wants to tell me I've played it wrong well that's up to them but honestly I'm not going to struggle through an experience just to please people on the internet I'll never meet 

• Like 2

I’m so with the people who are saying don’t let what some stranger thinks get to you. The same person who is moaning at you about mimic is probably running around with rivers of blood or vykes spear spamming a different button to you is all. Somebody else out there will think they are the ones cheesing. So let them face off on a nonsense exchange and keep well away.

these forums In Particular are full of elitist gatekeepers in my experience on here anyway. Barking at people about what is the wrong and right way to play a game. Telling us what games are good and what are bad. And then go on to offer some ‘evidence’ about why their nonsense is so much more correct than my nonsense. Utter drivel at times, wrapped up in years of telling themselves they are pure gamer and better than anyone else who doesn’t play everything on crushing mode or has a trophy which is extra rare or some other pointless, meaningless reasoning that justifies why they are that much better. If they are better than you or I at games, does it really matter? At the end of the day, the data spreadsheet record will still say platinum trophy for both of you, whatever way you got there. I’d say Just always make sure you enjoyed how you did it. The rest don’t matter. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, PotrikBerger said:

I’m so with the people who are saying don’t let what some stranger thinks get to you. The same person who is moaning at you about mimic is probably running around with rivers of blood or vykes spear spamming a different button to you is all. Somebody else out there will think they are the ones cheesing. So let them face off on a nonsense exchange and keep well away.

these forums In Particular are full of elitist gatekeepers in my experience on here anyway. Barking at people about what is the wrong and right way to play a game. Telling us what games are good and what are bad. And then go on to offer some ‘evidence’ about why their nonsense is so much more correct than my nonsense. Utter drivel at times, wrapped up in years of telling themselves they are pure gamer and better than anyone else who doesn’t play everything on crushing mode or has a trophy which is extra rare or some other pointless, meaningless reasoning that justifies why they are that much better. If they are better than you or I at games, does it really matter? At the end of the day, the data spreadsheet record will still say platinum trophy for both of you, whatever way you got there. I’d say Just always make sure you enjoyed how you did it. The rest don’t matter. 

Oh yes indeed. I played the game a ton of coop, sometimes 3 player with my 2 friends. I spent the first half of the game just using the Scimitar, the sword I started with and then the first whip you get. A very weak character.

Playing on coop with 2 or 3 weaklings which is supposedly cheating,as opposed to an "elite" player who plays alone, probably isn't using any summon, but is using Rivers Of Blood or a highly leveled up character.

Play how you want.

I'd honestly recommend to anyone doing most of the dragon boss battles on coop. Poking the dragon in the heels and then running for cover behind a rock while your mate takes their turn in poking him in the heel or tail. Some of the best fun I've had with the game, spending 15 minutes on a single battle, coop partner dies and then I have to somehow make my way back to where I summoned him but then dies instantly again as soon as he joins due to a sudden river of fire. lol
Good times.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the positive responses (and the terrible cheese puns). And as for the 2-3 negative comments.... well idgaf about you :)

Anyway I just wanted to reiterate one thing that seems to have been misunderstood by many here:

I'm not "personally insulted" by the fact that the guide writer (or anyone else for that matter) thinks I cheesed a boss in Elden Ring. LMAO. I wanna go back in NG+ and beat that boss sword and board, because it was an awesome fight.

I just think that, as most of you have similarly stated, people should be able to play the game any way they want without judgement of how they are succeeding / progressing. And as such, "cheesing" is definitively a judgmental term that gets thrown around a lot, not just in Elden Ring or Soulslikes, but games in general.

My opinion is just that the term cheesing was used incorrectly in this context. Yes, a long and elaborate rant to make a simple statement. Twitter didn't have enough characters, so I came here instead. But you all took the time to read it and respond, so I guess you're all just as passionate about these things as I am.

May you all ascend to Elden Lord and finally find a maiden!