Easiest Dark Souls game?

AJ_Radio

To me, I feel like the areas/runbacks to the boss arenas are harder than the actual bosses themselves. The amount of normal enemies in certain areas are pretty overwhelming at times, while the bosses themselves weren't that hard thinking back on it. Going through Iron Keep was a dreadful experience lol. Although, I did play the SOTFS edition. Don't really know how different the game is on the PS3. 

• Like 3

On 12/26/2022 at 3:57 AM, SuchRemorse said:

I've been playing souls games from the beginning. Demon's Souls was my first! I did play them all in order. Dark Souls 2 is the ONLY one that I didn't get the platinum on. So I don't know if it's the easiest. I'm actually thinking of running through the games again. Maybe it IS the easiest. Only time will tell. 

Dark Souls 2 is the weakest of the trilogy because the creator wasn't present for its game development. In contrast, it has far less focus on the weapon based trophies which I honestly didn't like doing in Dark Souls 1.

On 12/26/2022 at 4:57 AM, Sadomasochist said:

To me, I feel like the areas/runbacks to the boss arenas are harder than the actual bosses themselves. The amount of normal enemies in certain areas are pretty overwhelming at times, while the bosses themselves weren't that hard thinking back on it. Going through Iron Keep was a dreadful experience lol. Although, I did play the SOTFS edition. Don't really know how different the game is on the PS3. 

This is especially true of the Black Gulch. Very dark without a torch, and far too much poison. Thankfully I already had high Vitality before I got into the area. Ended up skipping this place until I got stronger and had proper anti poison.

Thank goodness for the NPC summons. Iron Keep is tough, enemies will kill you quickly if you're not careful or well prepared.

Edited by AJ_Radio
SoulsBorne
  • Like 1

I'd say the first Dark Souls is the easiest of the trilogy but the Demons Souls remaster is the easiest of all the Fromsoft Souls-likes. I never played the orginal so can't say if it's easier/harder. This is after having played/completed them all (except Sekiro) multiple times and looking back on them. I struggled through all of them my first playthroughs of each though, so 'Easiest' =/= 'Easy'. ?

On 12/29/2022 at 10:21 AM, WitcherScotty said:

I'd say the first Dark Souls is the easiest of the trilogy but the Demons Souls remaster is the easiest of all the Fromsoft Souls-likes. I never played the orginal so can't say if it's easier/harder. This is after having played/completed them all (except Sekiro) multiple times and looking back on them. I struggled through all of them my first playthroughs of each though, so 'Easiest' =/= 'Easy'. 1f605.png

You did Dark Souls Remastered in one week four days which is really fast.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only played DS1 and 3, and have just started vanilla DS2 on PS3. I liked both 1 and 3, favoring 3 as it felt more complete and less frustrating than DS1 (fuck you Tomb of the Giants, fuck you Lost Izalith, fuck you Duke's Archives, fuck you New Londo Ghosts, and FUCK YOU BED OF CHAOS!!!!!!!!!!!) I haven't played DS1's DLC yet, so I can't comment on Artorias or the other DLC boss fights. Both trophy lists were equally challenging though, with DS1 being slightly harder with having to obtain all the rare weapons.

Having just now beat the Pursuer at SL 31, this game is instantly more frustrating than DS1 or DS3. Attacks are wonky, there are too many enemies in certain spots, the enemy placement in some areas is terrible (DS1 and DS3 had enemies jump around corners sometimes, but why send 3??????) they aggro much easier than other games, your weapon durability doesn't even last the run from one bonfire to the next, enemies despawn after they die a number of times (a double edged sword really, it helps running through areas easier after struggling for so long but what if I want to farm rare drops?), and when you die you lose 5% of your maximum health bar until you become human again, which I absolutely hate. 

I think the guide says this game can be done in 2 playthroughs minimum, while DS1 and DS3 will take you 3 to get all weapons, spells, and rings. I guess it all depends on if you count less playthroughs as easier or if you can handle all the bullshit I just typed. Keep in mind this is all in the first level!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
On 20/05/2022 at 7:54 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Is this the easiest Dark Souls game?

god no, ds1 is by far the easiest souls game, by miles, its impossible not to be completely op in ds1

9 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

This statement is false, as it is, in fact, the best game in the series.

AJ, if  you agree, and accept that you were wrong, then give no response.

We shall assume you have seen the error of your ways, and now concede that Dark Souls II, is Best Souls.

straight facts

• Like 1

Oof they're all right around the same- very challenging. 2 is a pain in the ass with that one location with the frog boss, just getting to him is such a fuckin hastle, dude. Holy shit I raged for hours, even on NG+ and NG++. I'd either say 3 is the easiest or after playing Elden Ring, 1, and 2, I was just the most prepared for 3. But I wouldn't say 2 is the easiest. It just has the most cheese potential

On 12/29/2022 at 0:21 PM, WitcherScotty said:

I'd say the first Dark Souls is the easiest of the trilogy but the Demons Souls remaster is the easiest of all the Fromsoft Souls-likes. I never played the orginal so can't say if it's easier/harder. This is after having played/completed them all (except Sekiro) multiple times and looking back on them. I struggled through all of them my first playthroughs of each though, so 'Easiest' =/= 'Easy'. ?

Remake list is easier than the original list as you had to max upgrade at least 1 weapon using every type of ore, so that was a lot of grinding for upgrade material. You also had to collect all the unique weapons which meant having to do every pure white and pure black world tendency event instead of only a select few in the remake.

Though whatever your feelings about it, Dark Souls 2 is unquestionably the longest of the Souls games (which may mean people burnout before finishing the plat since it takes 2.5 playthroughs to get it). I haven't played Elden Ring though, supposedly that has a shitload of optional bosses.

On 12/29/2022 at 2:01 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Dark Souls 2 is the weakest of the trilogy because the creator wasn't present for its game development. In contrast, it has far less focus on the weapon based trophies which I honestly didn't like doing in Dark Souls 1.

On 2/19/2023 at 11:34 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

This statement is false, as it is, in fact, the best game in the series.

I'll add my 2c and say that that DS2 is neither the best nor worst in the series, its in the middle. 

It goes DS1>DS2>DS3 

There, now we have all three opinions :)

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 12/26/2022 at 6:57 AM, Sadomasochist said:

Vanilla has some areas where there are so few enemies you wonder why that area exists at all. 

DS2 is by far the easiest because you can literally despawn every single enemy and then every boss run is just a brisk walk with nothing standing in your way. The binoculars are right there in majula when you start and allow you to aim magic at a distance and kill everything in the game as 99% of it will simply stand there and die. 

You can say it's not fun to do that, but even excluding the magic cheese, the enemies still vanish so if you actually find the game difficult the solution is built into the game. And the vast majority of bosses are super easy. And for vanilla you get to avoid the DLC bosses for the platinum. So you only really have Darklurker to worry about. And it's mainly the poorly thought out mechanics to get to him which make him so annoying. You get tilted because dying is a waste of humanity, and you have to run through one of the gauntlets each time unless you back up the save and reload it every time you die. But I believe that's a thing for every Souls game. I don't think one boss warrants not being the easiest one.

• 2 months later...

Of the three Dark Souls games, I'd say the original Dark Souls is honestly the easiest because of the many glitches you can exploit, particularly the Soul item duplication trick, that make the game a breeze. That said, if you know what you're doing in DSII, it's not too hard - in fact, I had way more trouble with the second Smelter Demon than I did with the Fume Knight (first try!), so I don't really understand the apprehension around him.

Edited by Xillynoc