Question about buying digital version of a game

TheronCroft

Hello. A while ago I bought a physical copy of a game. On the PS Store, there's the gold edition of the said game with the season pass which obviously includes the base game. My question is, should I delete the physical copy which is still installed on the system and then install the digital version and play the game from there? I'm only interested in the season pass cause I've already played the base game. Will the physical and digital game be in "conflict"?

I hope I made myself clear, it's the first time this happens.

Thanks.

There are a very small number of specific examples where the physical and digital don’t share saves, or have separate trophy lists, but it is rare.

What is the game you are thinking of?

Best to say, as if it is one of those unlucky few, folks on here will be able to let you know, I’m sure.

• Like 1

^This. It would also be helpful to know what system (PS4 or 5) you are talking about. Typically installed game data is the same whether loaded from the disc or downloaded digitally, assuming the physical and digital games are from the same region.

The other alternative here is to keep the physical installed, and just download the DLC add ons. Typically the Digital complete versions are just a bundle and the base game and DLCs are still separate downloads. Once you purchase the complete edition, if you boot up the physical copy it should recognize that you have purchased the add on content and download what you need.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

There are a very small number of specific examples where the physical and digital don’t share saves, or have separate trophy lists, but it is rare.

What is the game you are thinking of?

Best to say, as if it is one of those unlucky few, folks on here will be able to let you know, I’m sure.

The game is Ride 3.

14 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

^This. It would also be helpful to know what system (PS4 or 5) you are talking about. Typically installed game data is the same whether loaded from the disc or downloaded digitally, assuming the physical and digital games are from the same region.

The other alternative here is to keep the physical installed, and just download the DLC add ons. Typically the Digital complete versions are just a bundle and the base game and DLCs are still separate downloads. Once you purchase the complete edition, if you boot up the physical copy it should recognize that you have purchased the add on content and download what you need.

Thank you both for your answers. I'm not concerned about losing save files, but more of a "what happens if I own two versions (one digital and physical) of the same game? Where do I play the DLC?" But you answered it perfectly, I will do as you advised.

Thanks again for your help!

• Like 1