New players beware. This platinum run is 10/10 annoying.

RuggedProGaming

7 minutes ago, RuggedProGaming said:

It's a really fun game that overstay its welcome when it comes to some of these trophies. RNG nightmare. Most of the prophecy trophies come down to change whether or not the person you need to interact with will even appear at base and in the off chance they do you then have to hope they aren't speaking to someone else because if they are, you can't speak to or gift them and if they do happen to be alone you then have to hope that they actually advance the prophecy which is completely random on if they speak about what you need them to. I've done more runs than I find enjoyable and having to do runs to get to the 3rd floor just to HOPE you get a room with someone you need to speak with and then HOPE they speak about what you need them to is a drag. 

So while the platinum isn't difficult to obtain the frustrating and annoying level us definitely a 10/10 and I can't wait to finish it, shelf it and never pick it up again. Haven't felt so annoyed with a platinum since rustlers glitchy mess. 

What? Just refund your darkness, and die in the first 2-3 rooms to advance dialogues with the palace inhabitants, and it’s not random, Achilles will speak about various weapons, so if you’re going for his prophecy, just stick with one weapon.

One of my chillest plats and I’m doing it twice. Each run is enjoyable. Maxing out keepsakes takes way longer than the Divided by Death prophecy, you’ll have run a lot anyway.

I have about 50 hours in each version, 100% and 90% currently, and I never got bored.

• Like 2

I agree about RNG. I'm stuck at 2 prophecies and game probably bugged out on me. My advice for new players is to focus on prophecies and always giving nectar to Thanatos, Patroclus,Eurydice and Sisyphus. You will always have time to grind keepsakes so dont worry about them but start early anyway.

I have to agree with the OP. Reason why I haven't touched it is because the trophy list is a grind. I'm mainly debating playing it on an alt account so i can still enjoy the game. The game looks extremely fun. But when you have to play a lot of the levels over and over like 100 times for all the trophies. I can understand why it would be a snore fest. Repetition is not fun in a game. 

• Like 2

10/10? probably like the first 2 or 3 runs its a pain, but once you unlock the right weapons (spear was easiest for me, and fists, and sword), and keep track of what prophecies you need its not hard at all. A full run may take 20-30mins. It goes quick. Even when aiming for specific gods.

Is it hard? meh. debatable. Does it get repetitive? absolutely. I dont think it took me more than 60hrs to plat though 

wow it's all within your control.  there are ways to progress things and the key is to always have nectar to give the npc's when you're able to talk to them.  This game is a great and an easy enough platinum.  I wouldn't even consider it RNG talking to the NPC's it is all scripted when the conversations can happen based where you are in the story and how many times and how much nectar each npc has been given.  always talk to everyone available and always have nectar especially focus on the npc's that require nectar in the later areas of the game so you don't have to make deep runs just to give an npc nectar.  It's not at all hard or even that big of a RNG nightmare at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuggedProGaming said:

It's a really fun game that overstay its welcome when it comes to some of these trophies. RNG nightmare. Most of the prophecy trophies come down to change whether or not the person you need to interact with will even appear at base and in the off chance they do you then have to hope they aren't speaking to someone else because if they are, you can't speak to or gift them and if they do happen to be alone you then have to hope that they actually advance the prophecy which is completely random on if they speak about what you need them to. I've done more runs than I find enjoyable and having to do runs to get to the 3rd floor just to HOPE you get a room with someone you need to speak with and then HOPE they speak about what you need them to is a drag. 

So while the platinum isn't difficult to obtain the frustrating and annoying level us definitely a 10/10 and I can't wait to finish it, shelf it and never pick it up again. Haven't felt so annoyed with a platinum since rustlers glitchy mess. 

i understand it can be annoying to try to get some characters but i wouldn't call it a 10/10 just for that while yes its somewhat annoying to do a run to Elysium to try to find patroclus it only takes around 20 minutes and you can always just not do it or do only a certain amount of runs a day if its boring to you. i sympathize with it being annoying but even then if the biggest annoyance is playing for 20 minutes then maybe you're just not enjoying the game 

Disagree, its a 50 hour at which you'll get before 100 runs. There is more rng in getting crowns on monster hunter and its a shorter grind then the likes of a fear 2 online boost. Then again I really enjoyed the game to do it 3 times, focus on getting your speedrun time below 10mins to pass the time, might help for you

This game is far from a 10/10, my dood. It may seem that way due to what you have in the beginning, which is nothing, but the whole point is that you generally improve after each and every attempt; overall, Hades was a fantastic game and I did not have any issues while going for the :platinum: and still play it from time to time. 

• Like 1

I agree with you to an extent, OP, but it is definitely not a 10/10 annoyance.  There are actually worse games trophy wise in grind and RNG.

The game being fantastic all around helps alleviate some of the pains of the RNG grind and being able to set the difficulty with pacts of punishment also helps keep it at a level where it can still be fun to clear if you aren't concerned with getting the platinum as fast as possible, but the actually trophy design wasn't very thought out in my opinion:

-  Takes an unnecessarily long time.  Beating the game with a high difficulty modifier and doing 10 complete runs should have been enough.  At this point you will have well mastered the game if you aren't playing on god mode and runs are no longer difficult or challenging unless you turn on pact of punishment modifiers. 

-  There just isn't enough variety in the game for the 50+ runs on average it takes so it gets very samey and just contributes more to the grind.

-  There isn't a clear way to track where you are in a quest in terms of dialogue.  In many games with big grinds you at least have a way to track (in game) the grind.

-  Many runs feel like a waste due to RNG giving you nothing to advance dialogue (mostly just not seeing Patroclus when you need to speak with him since he's all the way in Elysium).

-  Doing various things can actually cause new dialogue not related the quest to appear - essentially forcing you to do extra runs because you did things like buy cosmetic only furniture.

It is a shame because Bastion (did all the achievements on Steam) and Transistor from the same developer had fun platinum trophies.  It also looks like Pyre (have not played yet) would be a fun platinum as well.  Not sure why they felt the needs to pad Hades out with a grindy platinum.

I had a brief time in this, was going to do a platinum speedrun, but never really did get into it so much.

The dialogue all gets queued up, a little like Death Strandings email system, only here it is worse. I did a lot of tests around it. I couldn't put a finger on exactly what gets prioritised.

Even starting the game, the game starts with like 20 queued dialogues to get through. So if you wanted to be efficient in terms of getting new dialogue to appear quicker, you would need to, before you do anything, and going against the gameplay kind off, is to die 20 times straight away and exhaust and talk to every1 each time.

Eventually, near 20 deaths, they will start repeating themselves, so queued dialogue is empty for now.

I would then do very little things, like get my first Boon, change weapon, kill a few enemies etc. 

Each time I would die straight aways a few times to see how much new dialogue that action queues up.

It seems almost all actions provide some sort of new dialogue. And this was the start of the game I was testing, imagine how bad it gets later.

I even went as far as to write down all those initial queued dialogues, then deleted save, done it again see if the order is the same. Deleted save, but this time, triggered some new actions before clearing the queue and then exhausting all dialogue etc.

This is how I came to the conclusion that it's not random, it just gets queued up and different dialogue has different priorities.

The levels, enemies and stuff are random yea, but the dialogue isn't, not as much as it's believed to be anyway.

If you're having bad RNG with dialogue, you need to go and keep dying over and over and exhaust it all, empty the backlog. Then when you move on, any dialogue from new actions to appear instead being backlogged at the end of the already massive dialogue queue.

If I was to complete a platinum speedrun guide, it's what I would advise, every 5 runs perhaps, die straightaway until all new dialogue is exhausted. Not good advice I know, but if not, these are the problems that occur.

Dialogue isn't random, it all gets queued up and I'm not sure what gets prioritised. It's why you need to keep dying straightaway and exhaust it all first. If you don't, you could potentially keep triggering new dialogue that is prioritised over a certain dialogue you're looking for, so although looks like RNG, you're actually making it more difficult to appear yourself. Don't get me wrong though, this is not our fault, the Devs should have done something better with the dialogue system.

I know it's daft, you want certain dialogue to appear, so you keep playing unknowingly that as you play, you're triggering new dialogue that is getting prioritised over the dialogue you're trying to get. So although you think you are making progress in getting the dialogue you want, you actually keep making it harder for yourself!

It really does go against the game, but you need to go and keep dying asap, and talk to every1 after each death to exhaust their dialogue.

As for getting certain rooms to appear, you can back up save or something before each area, then restore it if you don't find ur room in it, much quicker if u are looking for a specific room.

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 4

Hardly a 10/10. I just plated it a couple of weeks ago and had a blast, gameplay is fantastic and i guess it does get a bit stale by the 50 hour mark when you're just trying to trigger Patrocles' dialogue to finish the prophecy. Easily the most annoying prophecy, getting Patrocles to spawn was not fun. Even so, you can kinda 'scum save' it.

While I admit, when writing up this post I was in the middle of a rage because I kept doing trips to elysium for 1) To starts Achilles prophecy with the patrocolus and 2) to get the bull to give me the words for the fist and I couldn't even get the rooms to spawn. And then when I did they would talk about something else. Saying 10/10 annoying level may be high. It's more like 6 or 7 out of 10. For everyone else explaining difficulty, please understand I wasn't saying it was a difficult game or a difficult Plat, the 10/10 was annoyance level. Difficulty is only around 3 out of 10. I can escape every run and only die when I need to advance a dialogue. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sheesh, you folks weren't kidding. Thanatos and Patroclus rarely show up in my game, and even when they do, they won't give the dialogue that advances their quests. Same with many of the god's favors.

Since I can't stand intentionally killing myself in games, I think what I'll do is turn the Pact of Punishment up to maximum—64, I think?and just see how far I can make it (not far, I'd wager). I've already escaped on 32 Heat, for the goofy statues.

28 minutes ago, StraightVege said:

Sheesh, you folks weren't kidding. Thanatos and Patroclus rarely show up in my game, and even when they do, they won't give the dialogue that advances their quests. Same with many of the god's favors.

Since I can't stand intentionally killing myself in games, I think what I'll do is turn the Pact of Punishment up to maximum—64, I think?and just see how far I can make it (not far, I'd wager). I've already escaped on 32 Heat, for the goofy statues.

I had the same issue. Once I got good enough, I had a 30 game streak that I didn't want to break. But I could not get the last Achilles conversation to spawn so I could complete that trophy. Eventually, I just caved and let myself die at max heat. Felt bad to break my streak, but gotta get that platinum!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/05/2022 at 2:21 AM, Optinooby said:

I had a brief time in this, was going to do a platinum speedrun, but never really did get into it so much.

The dialogue all gets queued up, a little like Death Strandings email system, only here it is worse. I did a lot of tests around it. I couldn't put a finger on exactly what gets prioritised.

Even starting the game, the game starts with like 20 queued dialogues to get through. So if you wanted to be efficient in terms of getting new dialogue to appear quicker, you would need to, before you do anything, and going against the gameplay kind off, is to die 20 times straight away and exhaust and talk to every1 each time.

Eventually, near 20 deaths, they will start repeating themselves, so queued dialogue is empty for now.

I would then do very little things, like get my first Boon, change weapon, kill a few enemies etc. 

Each time I would die straight aways a few times to see how much new dialogue that action queues up.

It seems almost all actions provide some sort of new dialogue. And this was the start of the game I was testing, imagine how bad it gets later.

I even went as far as to write down all those initial queued dialogues, then deleted save, done it again see if the order is the same. Deleted save, but this time, triggered some new actions before clearing the queue and then exhausting all dialogue etc.

This is how I came to the conclusion that it's not random, it just gets queued up and different dialogue has different priorities.

The levels, enemies and stuff are random yea, but the dialogue isn't, not as much as it's believed to be anyway.

If you're having bad RNG with dialogue, you need to go and keep dying over and over and exhaust it all, empty the backlog. Then when you move on, any dialogue from new actions to appear instead being backlogged at the end of the already massive dialogue queue.

If I was to complete a platinum speedrun guide, it's what I would advise, every 5 runs perhaps, die straightaway until all new dialogue is exhausted. Not good advice I know, but if not, these are the problems that occur.

Dialogue isn't random, it all gets queued up and I'm not sure what gets prioritised. It's why you need to keep dying straightaway and exhaust it all first. If you don't, you could potentially keep triggering new dialogue that is prioritised over a certain dialogue you're looking for, so although looks like RNG, you're actually making it more difficult to appear yourself. Don't get me wrong though, this is not our fault, the Devs should have done something better with the dialogue system.

I know it's daft, you want certain dialogue to appear, so you keep playing unknowingly that as you play, you're triggering new dialogue that is getting prioritised over the dialogue you're trying to get. So although you think you are making progress in getting the dialogue you want, you actually keep making it harder for yourself!

It really does go against the game, but you need to go and keep dying asap, and talk to every1 after each death to exhaust their dialogue.

As for getting certain rooms to appear, you can back up save or something before each area, then restore it if you don't find ur room in it, much quicker if u are looking for a specific room.

Just browsing old game forums I posted in previously, and the hades ones are always some of the most interesting as it is a game that can divide opinion I think (as you’ll see from other posts, I’m in the camp that doesn’t think it’s one of the best games since sliced bread) but @Optinooby that’s got to be one of the most interesting and informative posts I’ve read about this game and remains neutral. Hat is tipped in your general direction. So good, I had to comment!

....just wish I had read it before I played the game lol

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm certainly getting to the point of annoying grind, purely because I didn't properly prioritize Achilles / Patroclus's relationships early. With the trophy tied to their prophecy, I am stuck doing runs to elysium just to get the dialogue I don't need...

That being said, the gameplay was largely enjoyable enough to outlast the repetitiveness of runs, and I think if the trophies are planned out from the beginning there isn't nearly as much grind. I'll be relieved when I finish this plat, but it's an amazing game nonetheless.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's pretty fun, though I've only done 30 runs or so. Biggest gripe is getting nectar (which is probably the same for everyone). Playing it (mostly) blind, but it seems like the people in the dungeon need nectar more than anyone, so they always get priority. Still have managed to get enough for others. Probably wasted a lot on Charon - nothing really seemed to happen when I got him to full bond.

EDIT: One thing about playing blind - it’s fun when you figure out that things were much easier than you thought. Here, turns out that nectar is really simple to get, for 50 gems each.

Edited by starcrunch061