TOMB RAIDER PS4 - Error CE-34878-0 - Fix / Prevention

Is this still an issue?

Edit: I just got 100% completion on SP without any issues. So I think it's fixed now.

I can confirm that the first crash still happens (the first one occurs after you jump to a helicopter from an exploding tower)

I have both the game (v1.01) and PS4 system software (v4.05) updated to the latest version.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not a crash per se and it may be my PS4 Slim, but as soon as you meet up with Sam and Mathias in the campfire, and just before the QTE with the wolves, my game's audio locked up. Kept having Lara moan and this kept looping, for sheer hilarity. Still had menu control though, so I had to exit the game and load it up again (did not have to close the application). Latest patch and PS4 firmware too.

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2014 at 3:21 PM, Kadmar said:

FOR TOMB RAIDER OWNERS in Single Player mode, a lot of you have had issues with crashes and save file corruption.

The game has 2 identifyable errors CE-34878-0: the first one occurs after you jump to a helicopter from an exploding tower (this crash doesn't corrupt your save). The second crash occurs if you fast travel to shipwreck beach camp (this crash corrupts your save because it turns off the game while the game is auto-saving. You won't be able to continue your progress unless you have a back-up). Both issues are clearly due to poor programming.

To avoid losing your progress, here is what you have to do:

1/ Just use the 3 save slots every time you save in a camp. Press "options" during the game, choose "change save slot", select a new slot by pressing X on the slot, wait for the TR logo to blink on the bottom right of the screen and do it again until the 3 slots are identical (you can do that with only 2 slots if you want to keep the 3rd for another purpose like missable trophies attempts)

DO NOT FAST TRAVEL TO SHIPWRECK BEACH. IF YOU FAST TRAVEL TO SHIPWRECK BEACH, THE GAME WILL CRASH AND WILL DESTROY YOUR SAVE (VERY BAD PROGRAMMING).

COMPLETE SHIPWRECK BEACH AND BUNKER 100% BEFORE CONTINUING THE STORY!! IF YOU DON'T COMPLETE SHIPWRECK BEACH 100% AND WAIT UNTIL THE END TO FAST TRAVEL TO THIS LOCATION TO COMPLETE IT, THE GAME WILL CRASH AND YOU WILL NEVER HAVE 100% COMPLETION OF THE GAME.

2/ If the game crashes on you while you are playing and corrupt the save in your current slot, simply reload the game and a save file from another slot. You will only lose the progress from the last save and the moment of crash. (If you didn't follow my recommendation and don't have a back-up, you will have to restart the game from scratch because your save file is dead and not recoverable.)

3/ Then from the healthy save, overwrite the corrupted slot (this will be done naturally if you always save on the 3 slots.)

Hope this helps.

I'm so glad you made this post. I happen to read it before I started the game, so I made the extra save files. Good thing too since when I was on the gondola section this error popped and corrupted the save file I was on. Thanks for putting the heads up, it saved me from having to start the game from scratch.

Edited by ZombHunter13
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

It is nealy the end of 2018.I didnt get the chance to play this game when it first came out so I bought this game a couple of months ago and decided to play it in christmas holidays.I started the game on hard difficulty and I had gathered most of the collectabiles and completed all the tombs,I also had most of the skills and most of my gear was nearly fully upgraded.I was enjoying the game to the fullest and was already giving the game 10/10 for story,gameplay,music and the setting .As I had completed the game up to 59%,After alex had died,I had to climb up to the research base and at the start of the climbing just when i crashed the lift down near the shipreck area, my game fucking crashed.I restarted my game and just when i load the save on the saving menu, my game keeps crashing no matter what i do, I was very unlucky as i had saved my game on one slot and I also didnt upload the saved data to an online storage.I looked up on the internet for any solutions but there were none.Everyone's advice was to restart from the beginning so I decided to delete the game with the corrupt saved data and never touch the game again as i had put more than 11 hours into the game and couldnt be asked doing it all over again.This was heart breaking since i fell in love with the game and couldnt believe that this bug existed after nearly 5 years since the game was released.If anyone plans to play this game, please follow the instructions mentioned on the first post.Those in the future who are unlucky and cant be asked playing the game again like me, just watch walkthroughs of the game so you at least know how the story ends because thats what i plan to do.Sorry for the long paragraph

• 9 months later...

So I just completed this game, and I was aware of this topic (and had it open in a browser tab the whole time I was playing).  I followed the instructions and backed up my save to 2 slots every time I saved as well as keeping a 3rd save at Shantytown, just in case.  I didn't run into any problems with crashing (though I did fall into the earth when trying to use a campfire, lol).  I was able to save and load my game at every point.  No fast travel, checkpoint reload, or save point crashes.  No crash at the helicopter jump scene.  All good, perhaps I was lucky.

However, one thing I was to note for anyone following these instructions, make sure you finish Research Base 100% TOO!  This topic points out to finish Shipwreck and Bunker before continuing, but after those are finished, you have to enter the Research Base.  There's numerous collectibles as well as a challenge in there, and once you complete it you can NEVER get back there normally.  You have to fast travel in and out.  Unfortunately, if you have not progressed past Shipwreck (upon returning from the base and continuing in the boat), the only way back out of Research Base is to fast travel to Shipwreck Beach.  This isn't mentioned anywhere!  You can't fast travel to a point before Shipwreck because the path is blocked.  While my game didn't crash, luckily, I was forced to fast travel to Shipwreck from Research Base to continue my game.  I had an earlier save if I needed it, but I would have had to complete about 2-3 hours of the game again, so I attempted the fast travel (and it worked).  But since this bug is so prevalaent for so many people, make sure you complete Research Base 100% before leaving.  The only way in and out after completing that part of the story is by fast travel, and if you haven't continued your game by taking the boat down river, your only fast travel choice is Shipwreck Beach.  Just a big FYI to anyone playing this game 6 years later, like me :)

• 1 year later...

Thank you to everyone for sharing those precious information, that helps a lot.

EDIT 24/12/2020: got the helicopter crash, save slot is okay.

EDIT 28/12/2020: got the plat', thanks for the guide and all shared tips! Best advice: keep a save at the beginning of Shanty Town.

Edited by waIafc0