Trophy Thoughts

sasastanic11

I remember an old patent suggesting that this emulator might be able to check on screen text/elements as flags to unlock Trophies, versus the "PS2 to PS4" method of having to manually go in and add / QA additional Trophies. If this is using that, that's probably the trade-off. More games can have Trophies since they're easier to add, but the Trophies are less imaginative since their hands are tied more on what they can actually add. It's a bit of a bummer, but for me personally the tradeoff might be worth it to get more games. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

The trophy list looks pretty weak, honestly. Ten golds, and, unless I'm missing something, you don't even have to finish the game to earn the Platinum.

Ape Escape deserved better than this.

Yea... More challange will be fun. But remember that it is not only adults who hunt trophies. I reckon there are some kids who want to hunt for trophies too.

Sure, this could have used a trophy for actually beating the game and maybe 2-3 extraneous trophies for doing X or Y special thing, but for what the game is, this is not a bad list imo.

Now to wait and see if Jumping Flash gets similar treatment!!

There's 204 monkeys to capture so it kinda sucks you only need half for that trophy, but to play the final minigame you do need the 40 tokens which is already a trophy and you get the magic punch after actually beating the game. Getting every monkey would've been nice but I'm not sure you guys would have the same tune if you had to beat every minigame in it's entirety. Some were fun but the skiing one I hated.

Repeating what a lot of people have already said, but I do feel like there could have been a few more Monkey requirement trophies or a Final Boss trophy at the very least. Seems a tad easier than I would have liked, especially given that a lot of them are Gold trophies. It's not gonna ruin my enjoyment of the game though (it's not like I haven't played easy to Platinum games anyways). I always loved to 100% it on my PSone, I'll gladly do it again, regardless of trophies.

Plus, it'll pair nicely with my Ape Escape 2 list. Hoping to see Ape Escape 3 get a re-release soon too.

• Like 3

For me, I grew up with just a handful of PS1 games. I never owned Ape Escape, but I had the demo disc that had it on there. I played that demo so many times, it fascinated me as a kid. I have clamored for an Ape Escape Remaster Trilogy on PS5 utilizing the Dualsense haptics a la Astro's Playroom hoping to experience that magic again in a modern format. Point being, the inclusion of trophies is enough for me. As others have mentioned, the patent seems to limit the scope of trophies, but certainly eases their implementation. 

I am so excited to catch all those primates and experience this in full!!! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I just got the platinum in this and while fun, I'm a little disappointed with the list overall. Personally, I'd have liked to have had just a few more trophies added to it. I've decided to run through the post-game to get the final Apes and the Specter Coins that I missed, as well as see the true ending, but I'm kinda sad that there are no trophies attached to doing this portion of the game at all aside from getting the Magic Punch, which is done the first time you enter any level after beating the final boss. 

Part of the reason this disappoints me is that I know a bunch of people will just skip over this portion of the game and not see the true ending, or attempt to catch some of the harder and most fun Apes in the game just because the trophy list ends where it does.

Edited by BacklogGamer964

On 5/24/2022 at 1:47 PM, shlomaniac said:

People here realise that implementation of trophies in any game takes a few months right?

I rather have 500 classic games with no trophies that release immediately than getting only some with trophies. 

Why on earth would it take months to implement trophies in a single game even for a single developer? Do you have any details to share about how trophies are implemented in these games because that frankly sounds unbelievable?