Trophy support for PS Classics confirmed optional

Rebourne07

Good compromise. Wish all of the games would have trophies, but I think it's better for as many games to be on the service.

Just gonna hope the higher profile games will have 'em, it would be silly if MGS1 or Bubsy 3D didn't have it.

... And they'd be at least one new game with trophies every month.

• Like 3

It doesn't mean that the games that don't have Trophies never ever will. Maybe later on some of the games will get an update that adds Trophies to them. I imagine that if this PS Plus Premium does really well then some developers might be enticed in adding Trophies. 

• Like 3

Shame this has now been confirmed, but I expected it, as no way every single dev will want to add these in if they do not have to. So many of us are going to be annoyed if it's one of our favourite game, and it does not get trophy support only thing we can do is not buy the title hoping it will flop, and they see that trophy support is a big one for players, but we are in a small group most people do not care for trophies, so I doubt that will work either sucks but not much we can do I guess.

• Like 1

You either get more games faster (at least, I hope that's the impetus) or a tiny trickle of games all with trophies. The mandate for trophies helped to kill the PS2 -> PS4 project because it took too long to get games into the program. 

Calling this a "mistake" is short-sighted and unfair since the demand for the classic games is high and mandating trophies on all of them would take a very long time, so it's more like a compromise but as Cryo and Daiv say, individual developers could change their minds and patch them in down the line if they see that the demand is there.

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 1

To everyone saying that implementing trophies is what left the PS2 on PS4 program dead in the water... Might I point you toward Xbox and their back compat setup? They don't add chivos or anything new like that. They only got 60 odd OG Xbox games on it. They *claim* to have reached as far as they could and got who still has the rights and so on to play ball, but at the end of the day, they got 60 odd games and no trophies to hold them back. I'm sure it irked some people to put in that effort but since the majority of the PS2 on PS4 games are the same ones always getting rereleased over the years, Max Payne, Warriors, Red Dead, Grand Theft Auto, etc. I think if any company would be fine with it, it would be the companies who are used to reselling their shit all the time in any new way that comes by. I think the rights issues, be it music, publishing, or otherwise, were and always will be the biggest hinderance to reselling a bunch of the classics.

I'd like Spider-Man 2 to be back compat...it's a movie game published by Activision who no longer have the license, based on a movie by a company who no longer has the merchandising rights for Spider-Man, and so on, never gonna happen.

I'd like Simpsons Hit and Run to be back compat...it's a licensed game published by someone who also doesn't have the rights anymore, made by a company that is long defunct anyway. It's more likely than Spidey that EA would swoop in and do something, but still, not gonna happen tomorrow.

Emulation (specifically RetroArch on Xbox Series for me) is the only real way to replay the classics in 2022.

55 minutes ago, Gerardus94 said:

I think it was obvious since oddworld, tekken 2 and toy story 2 are already out with no trophies.

Poo. Tekken 2 is the only one I owned digitally out of the bunch of PS1 games they added and I thought it would be neat to pop a chivo on it. Bum.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy
  • Like 3

While it's obviously disappointing that some (probably most) of the classics won't have trophies, the upside is that more games will be available in the end. Making trophy support for the PS2 classics on PS4 mandatory is probably one of the main reasons why that program didn't last very long and was missing so much compared to the the library of PS2 classics on PS3. It takes time to go into the code and place the trophy triggers, make trophy art, etc. Probably a lot of devs who would see that as more effort than it's worth. As others have mentioned, there's always a chance they could go back in later and add them. Maybe if it sells better than they were expecting. Personally, I would find it hard to play a lot of these games (except maybe my absolute favourites) without trophies as a motivator. I've got that trophy brainrot. ?

• Like 1

I really want to say it's a dumb decision, but truthfully, I have no idea what adding trophies to classic games entails.

Would I personally buy a classic title if it did not have trophies? No, I will emulate it on my phone/PC for free. Trophies are the only unique feature of their emulation I am interested in. Obviously, if devs start seeing games with trophies have a better sales rate, which they probably will, devs will realize they need to add them to make a profit.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I really want to say it's a dumb decision, but truthfully, I have no idea what adding trophies to classic games entails.

Would I personally buy a classic title if it did not have trophies? No, I will emulate it on my phone/PC for free. Trophies are the only unique feature of their emulation I am interested in. Obviously, if devs start seeing games with trophies have a better sales rate, which they probably will, devs will realize they need to add them to make a profit.

100% this! Why bother these old games without trophies. Everything can be played on emulator's. Even more so I've still got my PS1 with hundreds of titles I can play for free ?

• Like 3

Just now, ZachBoardyHD said:

The thing im curious about are these games locked behind the extra/premium plus memberships or can they be bought too if you're not on one of those?

They can be bought outside of the memberships, if you own them on PS3 already you're supposed to get them for free on PS4/5

• Like 2

Just now, DEI2EK said:

They can be bought outside of the memberships, if you own them on PS3 already you're supposed to get them for free on PS4/5

That's great news! As i'm paying £50 yearly for PS plus but to go to Premium it's a total of £100 yearly which is excessive I think and was worried i'd that i'd have to upgrade to the etxra/premium membeeship just to have a chance playing and platinuming them

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

Not all can be bought outside the subscription. So far I believe each game with a trophy list is available for individual purchase.

Pleased to see that some of the games will have trophy support at least. It'll be up to us gamers and gaming outlets now who can put pressure on the developers to persuade them to add trophy support for titles that do not. This pressure can be done in a number of ways, namely through our wallets, word of mouth, gaming time on select titles, etc. Agreed that trophy support can be offered later if devs want or feel compelled to knowing that it can be done. Let the discourse and campaign begin from those who feel passionate about this issue.

• Like 2

Trophies added to PS1/PSP games would be nice, but not necessary IMO. I just want them to be made playable on PS4. I used to enjoy playing games on handhelds in past, but now I honestly prefer them on big screen, and that's why I'm looking forward to being able to play PS1/PSP games on PS4.

2 hours ago, MrTrofyHunter said:

Pleased to see that some of the games will have trophy support at least. It'll be up to us gamers and gaming outlets now who can put pressure on the developers to persuade them to add trophy support for titles that do not. This pressure can be done in a number of ways, namely through our wallets, word of mouth, gaming time on select titles, etc. Agreed that trophy support can be offered later if devs want or feel compelled to knowing that it can be done. Let the discourse and campaign begin from those who feel passionate about this issue.

lol, why you're at it go pressure the devs to go fix those thousands of trophies that are broken.

Start with KT and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on the Vita.