Trophy support for PS Classics confirmed optional

Rebourne07

Eh... I'd like all of the games to have trophies, but at the same time I'd more greatly prefer having a good selection of titles that are accessible on more recent hardware.

If having trophies for every individual title would somehow slow down an otherwise steady flow of releases or end up becoming a problem, then I think I can live without them.

Will I be disappointed if a game I like doesn't have trophies? Of course, that should go without saying.

Will it stop me from buying the game and playing it if I actually care about it? Nah, as I haven't succumbed to absolute terminal trophy disease yet (and thank God for that lmao).

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I mentioned in another thread awhile back, plenty of original developers no longer exist for many PS1 titles. However initial wave games like Sony Bend was the original developer for Syphon Filter, Clap Hanz for Everybody's Golf, etc. So that makes it more exciting for them as much as the fans, and it showed with Bend's social media. There is the aspect of some developer or publisher thinking if it's too much of a hassle, they just won't dust it off. The excuse used for early PS3 games. Insomniac even got away with that reasoning, but they were 2nd-party at the time.

I prefer the remaster treatment anyway. Some of these original controls are outdated, when thumbsticks didn't exist. Then you more interesting cases like Final Fantasy VII where they tossed aside the PS1 port and built from the 1998 PC port, that morphed into 2012 Steam on all consoles, introducing achievements that already exist, and also new bugs in the process.

• Like 1

The fact we already got duped on Toy Story 2 doesn't leave me much hope for this one, but I'll be really disappointed if we don't get trophy support for this in the near future. Hopefully Toy Story 2 gets patched down the line, but please don't let me down on this one. You can always get Toy Story 3 sure, but good luck finding a decent Looney Tunes game out there since the PS3 to make up for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bu0AnmJRrU

Edited by Potter13579

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I mean, we have sites like RetroAchievements which crowdsource achievements for emulated games. I'm not going to pretend to understand game development, but if John and Jane Gamer can put out fully functioning achievement lists for random ass SNES games all on their own time, I can't imagine it's that difficult to accomplish for PS2 / PS1 games ported to PS4/5.

Hell, RA already has achievement lists for plenty of PS1 & PSP games.

Exactly this

• Like 2

I mean, we have sites like RetroAchievements which crowdsource achievements for emulated games. I'm not going to pretend to understand game development, but if John and Jane Gamer can put out fully functioning achievement lists for random ass SNES games all on their own time, I can't imagine it's that difficult to accomplish for PS2 / PS1 games ported to PS4/5.

If it isn’t that difficult and Sony still didn’t do it, what other message does Sony need to send to the few people still going on about it?

It's not that hard, you normally tag things in code for references, and statistics inside of memory addresses and it's different from developer to developer. Achievements is simply an overlay (like RA) that when the rules are met using what is stored in memory it will trigger the achievement so you don't really have to re-write anything in the base game. But there is the aspect of the source still need to touched in the official PS Plus world for the overlay, add the modern PS1 emulation code, trophy images, etc. Then there is the small publisher contractual things like PS Plus agreement and how much they get paid.

Small hurdles but once again, it's easier to say they moved on. Aside from Sony re-writing the rules if you want to get paid and added to Plus, this requirement needs to be met, it won't matter what I or anyone else believes.

• Like 2

I’m just disappointed that they greenlighted this crap in being optional. 

It’s bad enough that there will likely be licensing issues for some of these games, considering it’s been decades now since most of these old titles were relevant. 

This probably means my beloved games Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater Underground 1 & 2 will never get a re-release on modern consoles. Those games have a lot of copyrighted music from various artists so that’s another issue to take into account. 

• Like 3

Gives me bad memories of the PS3 days when you'd have to Google every game you buy to make sure it had trophies just because a small portion launched without them. I was really grateful for mandatory trophy lists being introduced I really don't want to go backwards on that even if it is just for old school games.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2022 at 9:29 AM, MonaSaxPayne said:

it also annoys my that these old ports are tagged as PS4/PS5 games

Agree 100% on this. It's a small detail but being able to filter based on the original console, or seeing trophies correctly assigned to PS1/PS2/PSP would be much cleaner. A bit of a missed opportunity on top of those titles that have no trophy support at all.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

It apparently takes up to 3 months to add trophy support to the classic titles. Lots of QA and stuff to be done. So no, it isn't difficult, it's just time consuming. I can see why Sony didn't want to make it mandatory as it could slow down the release of games onto the service. Even though I and probably most people here would happily sacrifice more games on a more frequent basis if it meant having across the board trophy support, the majority of people outside of our little trophy bubble would probably see things differently, so I get it. It sucks and I do wish it was a mandatory thing but alas it looks as though we'll have to make do.

What Sony should've done is offer to take on the work of adding trophy support to these games. They already do all of the work involved with the game trials, which is arguably just as much work. And so it wouldn't slow up the release of games onto the service, they could've added trophies via patches to the games in question. Would've been a win-win situation. 

• Like 3

Let's be real it only matters to us which represents a very small fraction of the player base, most people don't care about trophies so for the devs it really doesn't matter if anything just additional hassle.

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My original feeling was this was the right way to go as to not “scare away” publishers from bothering (like what happened with the PS2 on PS4 thing), so we would have the best of both in essence - a large(r) collection of classics like PS3 had and a selection of classics with trophies. 

However, now I see that already, after just one update, even Sony themselves don’t bother to add trophies to their own first and second party games (games they own the IP to). So what’s the point? If they can’t even lead by example why would any other publisher bother?

I know they used the excuse “it’s up to the developers” or whatever but that is bollocks with Sony’s own games because they have a dedicated team that works on these. The same team that did the PS2 on PS4 games, then the faux PSP remasters of LocoRoco etc. I know Bend had an input with Syphon Filter but tbh I think that was a one-off. Japan

Studio certainly didn’t with Ape Escape as they’re closed down, Clap Hanz didn’t with Everybody’s Golf as they apparently don’t have a connection with PS after Japan Studio closed (and they didn’t even develop the first game anyway). 

It just feels like another half-assed attempt and it’s getting so common with Sony these days it’s almost not even a disappointment, but rather an expectation. 

Like how does LocoRoco Midnight Carnival not have trophies after the team did them for the first two games? It was a no-brainer. *sigh* I swear to the gods, if Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters gets added at some point without trophies… I. WILL. LOSE. IT. ?

<rant over> 

• Like 4

On 7/10/2022 at 4:39 PM, AJ_Radio said:

I’m just disappointed that they greenlighted this crap in being optional. 

It’s bad enough that there will likely be licensing issues for some of these games, considering it’s been decades now since most of these old titles were relevant. 

This probably means my beloved games Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater Underground 1 & 2 will never get a re-release on modern consoles. Those games have a lot of copyrighted music from various artists so that’s another issue to take into account. 

I love the THUG games and actually have the OST for every THPS game on my phone. The OST for THUG get's played the most though all of them are really top notch. I was a Skater Punk kid and still am deep down.

Without trophies it's probably better to emulate tbh, When I can play any PS2 game that actually looks visually better on the XBSX through dev mode I don't have any initiative to play and pay for non trophy equivalent. 

• Like 1