Sony may be planning to make you pay back your discounts if you are upgrading to new Plus tiers

diskdocx

2 minutes ago, Alayaes said:

Help me understand how Sony knows how much you paid for a PS+ card? Or is this only if you used the PSN store to buy it?

I get my discounted cards all year long through third-party retailers. Sony has no idea how much I paid for those, nor is it any of their business.

Are you sure they're talking about cards, and not actual discounted subscriptions from the Store itself?

3 minutes ago, Alayaes said:

Sony has no idea how much I paid for those, nor is it any of their business.

That is correct. 

However, in order to this current hysteria to work you have to believe that Sony has tracked every single discounted purchase outside of PSN. An impossible feat at the retail logistic level but perfectly possible when you imagine it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alayaes said:

Help me understand how Sony knows how much you paid for a PS+ card? Or is this only if you used the PSN store to buy it?

I get my discounted cards all year long through third-party retailers. Sony has no idea how much I paid for those, nor is it any of their business.

18 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Are you sure they're talking about cards, and not actual discounted subscriptions from the Store itself?

16 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

That is correct. 

However, in order to this current hysteria to work you have to believe that Sony has tracked every single discounted purchase outside of PSN. An impossible feat at the retail logistic level but perfectly possible when you imagine it.

I buy my PS+ subscription as a code from a retailer that sells them at a discount. This is usually around the time of year when the Days of Play event is live and the PSN store itself has the yearly sub at a discount. When I checked the "Subscriptions Management" section on the PSN store earlier, it says I'm currently subscribed to PS+ but at a 25% discounted rate. The codes I bought were discounted more than 25%, which leads me to believe that the retailer got the PS+ codes from Sony while there was a 25% discount on PS+ on the PSN store, and Sony has a way to track that by which code you redeemed. So while they might not be able to track how much you paid the retailer for them, they can track how much they themselves were selling PS+ for at the same time.

Edited by Stevieboy

"Subscriptions Management" section

When I check that section is just shows that I have used a 12 month code and that it expires on 12/12/22

It says nothing about any discounted rate. 
I last bought my last sub off CDKeys for something less than $60.

Even if a retailer got their codes from PSN at a discount it doesn't necessarily mean that the retailer sold a code to a customer for that same discounted price. It leaves a lot of room for mistakes to be made for matters Sony can't directly prove. 

Edited by TJ_Solo

10 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

When I check that section is just shows that I have used a 12 month code and that it expires on 12/12/22

It says nothing about any discounted rate. 
I last bought my last sub off CDKeys for something less than $60.

Even if a retailer got their codes from PSN at a discount it doesn't necessarily mean that the retailer sold a code to a customer for that same discounted price. It leaves a lot of room for mistakes to be made for matters Sony can't directly prove. 

I meant that if a retailer got a code for PS+ from Sony while Sony were doing a 25% off discount on PS+ and you redeemed that code, then it would show on your "Subscriptions Management" tab that you got PS+ at 25% off. Sony must have a way to track from the code itself what PS+ was being sold at on the PSN store when the code was issued to the retailer.

You must have got a code from CDKeys that they got from Sony when PS+ was full price on the PSN store.

What the retailer sold the code at doesn't matter, as Sony can't track that.

13 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

I think this can be closed now, Sony have fixed the issue

Do not attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I think this was an honest error on their part that the internet enjoys getting worked up over.

8 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

I meant that if a retailer got a code for PS+ from Sony while Sony were doing a 25% off discount on PS+ and you redeemed that code, then it would show on your "Subscriptions Management" tab that you got PS+ at 25% off. Sony must have a way to track from the code itself what PS+ was being sold at on the PSN store when the code was issued to the retailer.

You must have got a code from CDKeys that they got from Sony when PS+ was full price on the PSN store.

What the retailer sold the code at doesn't matter, as Sony can't track that.

I got a code in December from when PS+ was full price on the PSN Store?

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/12/deal-ps-plus-12-month-subscription-is-half-price-on-playstation-store-for-a-limited-time

I got it on the 12th of December. 

This tracking thing seems off to me.

Edited by TJ_Solo

3 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

I got a code in December from when PS+ was full price on the PSN Store?

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/12/deal-ps-plus-12-month-subscription-is-half-price-on-playstation-store-for-a-limited-time

I got it on the 12th of December. 

This tracking thing seems off to me.

Maybe the code you got from CDkeys was issued by Sony before they had discounted PS+ and it was still full price. Remember it's not the date when you bought the code, it's the date when the retailer got it issued from Sony that is the important part.

It does make it a bit inconsistent though, and is a weird thing for Sony to track anyway.

Edited by Stevieboy

The upgrade price is now cheaper a little bit.  Sony said they have "fixed" the discount rate "bug" after everyone keep blaming the upgrade price is too high and not reasonable.  I dont think its an issue at all,  just everyone gone angry and no one going to pay for the full price,  so they "fixed" it and hope to "solve" the problem lol.  Anyway,  users still have to repay all the least days of the subscription,  means they can not choose how long they want to upgrade their plans thats the problem. 

3 hours ago, Silocia said:

What? What loophole? I stack PSplus because Sony lets me, every Summer and Winter they do a sale on PSplus and allow me to buy another year on top of what I already own. I knew I would have to pay something to upgrade to the second tier but never at any point did it seem reasonable that they would charge me the discounts that I saved previous, the discount that THEY allowed me to stack.

I'll concede to that; that is fair. I was referring to the PS Now stacking, but this appears to be more about PS+ stacking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

Do not attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I think this was an honest error on their part that the internet enjoys getting worked up over.

Respectfully, doubt it. Not saying it was malice, but the programming that would need to go into calculating it the way they did, isn't really easily attributable to a simple oversight.

Maybe someone didn't understand the plan, but you can't come up with this result as an unplanned accident.

Perhaps more backlash than they expected, and they have backtracked, but it really isn't logical to believe it was all just an honest mistake.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Respectfully, doubt it. Not saying it was malice, but the programming that would need to go into calculating it the way they did, isn't really easily attributable to a simple oversight.

Maybe someone didn't understand the plan, but you can't come up with this result as an unplanned accident.

Perhaps more backlash than they expected, and they have backtracked, but it really isn't logical to believe it was all just an honest mistake.

It wasn't an honest mistake, it was incompetent action, which is par for the course for Sony, and especially with all this Plus change stuff. I have no doubt that bringing attention to this problem resolved it more quickly, but the conversion calculation was always explained by Sony as converting existing service time remaining to new time, yet the changes alleged so far converted existing services to dollar values, which was never presented by Sony as how things would convert. This was definitely incompetent engineers on Sonys side.

• Like 3