Report: MGSV Ground Zeroes is 2 hours long

Sand dan Glokta

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, the $40 prequel to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, can reportedly be completed in just two hours.

metal_gear_solid_5_ground_zeroes.jpg

The news comes from GameInformer’s latest print preview of the game, as reported by Kotaku.

“Judged just by the core story mission, Ground Zeroes is short. We completed it in just less than two hours,” GameInformer apparently said.

GameInformer’s Ground Zeroes preview is a cover story in the US edition this month, but has not been made available online.

It’s worth highlighting again that the magazine’s comment refers only to main missions, and so the two hour figure may not include optional side questing and additional content.

Franchise creator Hideo Kojima has commented on the past that Ground Zeroes is very short, but also said that it’s up to the user how they play it.

Ground Zeroes is a prequel, a tutorial and a taster for The Phantom Pain, which Kojima has said is designed to satisfy fans while they wait for the full game, which will take some time to complete thanks to the rigours of next-gen development.

It releases on March 18 and is not a full-priced release. In the US, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 version will cost $20 in digital form and $30 at retail.

The PS4 and Xbox One version is priced at $30 digitally and $40 in shops.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/04/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-is-two-hours-long-report/

W.T.F!!!

I really hope this isn't true. Even without factoring in "other modes" and "side missions' 2 hours is criminally short for a $40 video game much less an MGS game

Phantom Pain better be at least 5x longer

• Like 2

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/04/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-is-two-hours-long-report/

W.T.F!!!

I really hope this isn't true. Even without factoring in "other modes" and "side missions' 2 hours is criminally short for a $40 video game much less an MGS game

Phantom Pain better be at least 5x longer

Its actually $30, but I do agree with you on that. I have it pre-ordered and I may stick with it. Not too sure as of now though.

Kotaku is wrong, GameInformer had 4 hours of play time with the game and it is hard to tell from the way the sentence is worded if they finished the campaign in the 4 hours or not.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/02/04/march-cover-revealed-2014-3151321.aspx

We had four hours of exclusive hands-on time with Ground Zeroes, which we used to play through the main mission and experiment with extra modes.

I absolutely love the Metal Gear series, but paying $30 for only 2 hours is just painful to me, no matter how good it is. Being a gamer on a budget really drives my purchases (as it does with everyone else) and that just doesn't seem like enough game for the dollar.

I've already got burned several times with games that were just too short. If you're going to make a short game make sure it is priced accordingly. I'd feel more comfortable paying maybe $5-15 for a great two hour gaming experience. I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard

It's always quantity over quality with you guys. I guess that's why RPGs are so adored over here even though they're the most ridiculously padded experiences of all time.

That can be said for a game around 7-9 hours long, but 2 hours is incredibly short. You can't call it quality over quantity with a ridiculous length like that.

I absolutely love the Metal Gear series, but paying $30 for only 2 hours is just painful to me, no matter how good it is. Being a gamer on a budget really drives my purchases (as it does with everyone else) and that just doesn't seem like enough game for the dollar.

I've already got burned several times with games that were just too short. If you're going to make a short game make sure it is priced accordingly. I'd feel more comfortable paying maybe $5-15 for a great two hour gaming experience. I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard

Well you're not alone my friend!  :highfive: 

As much as I loved the franchise and all...something's telling me 'its a complete ripped off'

​Kojima san! since when KOJIMA PRODUCTION begun implementing such practices! 

but then again.... I may still end up buying it  :giggle:  #temptation stay away!  :D 

Its actually $30, but I do agree with you on that. I have it pre-ordered and I may stick with it. Not too sure as of now though.

I think it's criminal to even try to sell a prologue mission… boy if EA was doing this people would be rioting in the streets.

It's always quantity over quality with you guys. I guess that's why RPGs are so adored over here even though they're the most ridiculously padded experiences of all time.

Calm down there killer. It'll be ok. We can't all only play tripleA/mainstream titles.

• Like 2

I think it's criminal to even try to sell a prologue mission… boy if EA was doing this people would be rioting in the streets.

Well, they've done it with Gran Turismo in the past, also did it with Dead Rising: Case Zero for the XBLA. And considering how episodic releases are a new trend (more so in PC gaming than console releases), it's not much of a surprise.

On the bright side: at least they're not demanding full retail value.

Edited by KitsuneChaos
  • Like 1

Well, they've done it with Gran Turismo in the past, also did it with Dead Rising: Case Zero for the XBLA. And considering how episodic releases are a new trend (more so in PC gaming than console releases), it's not much of a surprise.

On the bright side: at least they're not demanding full retail value.

I see mainly expansions in terms of PC, which is completely acceptable. GT makes more sense since you're going to be racing the same tracks over and over anyway (not sure if gt5 prologue had online) but as a person who plays a game and then moves on… it's just not justified. It makes me a little angry that the only reason they're doing it is because they KNOW they can since MGS fans are so dedicated. Otherwise it would be a waste of resources and time. If anything it should have been a free DLC for MGS5 preorders… since it's basically a demo.

One person got through it in 2 hours, others have taken around 4. It's a $30 game, and Kojima said it was going to be short from the beginning. I'm sure if you go for the trophies, you'll be playing it more than once anyway. And since it's open, unlike past MGS games, there could easily be more to do than just walk through the game.

Its not surprising honestly and doesn't really matter. MGS always sells great and most can be shortened to like 2-3 hours. Am i the only person here who played MGS3???

Yes skiping all cutscenes you can finish the game in less than 3 hours. Is a requisite for the FOXHOUND emblem if I'm not wrong.

My personal opinion on the Metal Gear franchise aside - quality is more important than quantity.

Id have no problem paying full £50 for 2 hours of Limbo or Braid or Journey (even though im happy they are cheaper) than paying £50 for a full length crapfest like Alone in the Dark or Damnation or Saw or the many many other full priced, full length pieces of shit out there.

If its 2 hours of great game that satisfies all the MG fans then whats the problem?

AF said it well - it costs £20 odd quid to go see a 90 minute movie in theatres ...

• Like 1

Skyrim had speed runs of as little as 54 minutes, and that game is huge.

I never understood those that  do "speed runs". Do they truly do it for the challenge or just for the e-peen extension? "It took you 100 hours? I did it in 5 minutes, I'm so hardcore"

Thats it... Put the pitchforks down...

...and you guys with the torches, just put them out in that bucket of water over there...

Everyone calm now? good.

No! No! No!

To hell with the pitchforks and torches. Raid the armory! Ready the cannons! 

Lets keep the Outrage Machine going!! This is the internet dammit!

• Like 1

I Wasn't expecting it to be any longer as it's just a prologue and has always been marketed as a prologue, nothing more... 

It's obvious this was going to be Virtuous Mission to Phantom Pain's Snake Eater. But the Extra Ops should add plenty of value, even if there are a fraction of the number that we got in Peace Walker.

I've never felt short-changed by MGS/Kojima before, so I expect plenty of value to be had here. It just might not be in the main missions! Fingers crossed.

Edited by Rin Okumura