Report: MGSV Ground Zeroes is 2 hours long

Sand dan Glokta

I'm a very big fan of the Metal Gear series and of course I'd like this one to be a lot longer but we've known pretty much since it was announced that it was going to be short. Is this game still only available digitally on the PS4?

Yes! It will be available in digital format both the PS3 and PS4. About USD9.99 savings on both version.

But as a fan..I would rather buy it Physically than in digital format. but that just me, am not imposing anything or something.

Choice is still yours my friend!  :) 

Cheers! #goodvibes  :highfive: 

-Razgriz

Nah! It's ACTUALLY $40. It's $39.99 for the current-gen version (PS4/XONE), and $29.99 for the last-gen version (PS3/XB360) - I preordered it for PS4 @Gamestop last week. My advice: next time do a basic internet search before rudely 'correcting' people. :/ 

And before anyone makes any snap judgements about MGS:GZ's length, please keep in mind that this is all heresay, and reportedly of a sitdown playthru by editors who are paid to beat these games as fast as they literally can (they have too, they have alot of stuff to review & write about). GI editors blow thru 15 hour games in 5 hours. Besides that: alot of $60 games today are short (I think the average play-time for a FPS these days is around 6 or 7 hrs). Furthermore, the fact that Konami has compared Ground Zereos to a prequel expansion, originally considered releasing it as a digital game, and have the game priced so low, should of already eluded to people that this wasn't going to be a long game. 

Ofcourse I'm not defending the high pricing of short games - I personally think Konami should have priced the game @ $29.99 (PS4/XONE)/ $19.99 (PS3/XB360) - but they didn't, and let's face it: most fans will probably buy it at launch anyway. If you don't like it, you can always wait a month or two and get it used for half off.   

I know you "apologized," but seriously? They weren't being rude in the slightest, and I suggest you do a basic internet search before making corrections. PS3/360 digital is $19.99 and physical $29.99. PS4/XB1 digital is $29.99 and physical $39.99. 

Honestly, you could really do without the elitist attitude. 

I'm upset as I won't hear 'Snaaakeee' each time I unvariably die because I rushed rather than going quiet :P

btw gota knocked the whole argument on the head in his post page 2 - which I guess several didn't read or maybe it's just a different era, anywho peoples expectations are so high these days. So many games are money grabs, MGS may or may not be worth paying the money for ;)

Never played MGS, but 2 hours is just not worthwhile enough to warrant a full price purchase. 

TLoU: Left Behind is a DLC add on, only costs 11 quid and will most likely be at least double the length of MGS Ground Zeroes. 

If you've never played Metal Gear Solid then you're not really at liberty to say whether the game warrants the full-price of admission. Hell, I've been a Metal Gear fan for about 16 years now (fuck me I'm slowly getting on in years) and even I'm not truly at liberty to say whether MGS: Ground Zeroes is truly worth whatever the hell price is being quoted these days. None of us have played it, so we've no idea what content is included or how long it takes each unique individual to complete. This whole thread is now rife with hoopla, conjecture and good-old fashioned hysteria.

What I can say is this: it'll be worth it for me. I'm a massive fan of the series and as I stated earlier in the thread I spent a lot (at the time) on MGS3's Virtuous Mission demo - which is essentially what Ground Zeroes is to MGS V - and I more than got my money's worth, until I inevitably bought MGS3: Snake Eater. Again, I'm not going to rant about the halcyon days of demo discs, but they were often quite expensive, but they gave the rare privilege of playing a game before its release so you could see if it was your cup of tea. I'd oftentimes play the demo of a game for months on end until getting the full game. Simpler times.  

Guys, it's really fucking simple if you're complaining: don't buy it and wait on the full release in a few months. Honestly, this game is a palette cleanser for Metal Gear fans to chew on before the main course in a few months; much like what Gran Turismo does with its Prologue series. Is this to appease the fans and get them overwhelmingly excited for the main game, or is it a blatant, lazy attempt at a money grab? It's a matter of what you want to spend your money on and how you view it. If you can wait, then wait. But if you can't wait to play a new Metal Gear game (like myself), then you won't blink twice at handing over money for an early taster. There will naturally be a complete edition of both games released in a few months anyway, so this is not essential to the overall Metal Gear lore.

• Like 2

Yeah but Journey wasn't a 30-40$ game and Journey was at least 5-6 hours long so it was half the price for almost 3 times the game.

No this is a cash grab because they know fans will pay it.

Although i agree with you, Journey took like 2 hours to finish max. And was only like $15 at launch.

ok - just an idea, because you put @ or ! in a word doesn't mean we don't all know what you mean, you may as well go full hog O.o

However, this thread seems to have derailed (again) so I'm gonna read gota's words of wisdom again and then peace out :D

Edited by Memnoch
  • Like 1

Perhaps digital is irrelevant and I shouldn't have bothered mentioning it, but the fact remains that you dedicated an entire paragraph to calling someone out for "rudely correcting" with false information. Most people would have kindly corrected them and maybe provided a link, but you decided to mock them under the pretense of "showing them the error of their ways." Clearly something equally as unnecessary as what I'm typing right now, because it's obvious that saying anything to you is a fool's errand. 

As for your... response. It's taught me never to respond to anything you say again. Endlessly cussing and calling people names is a quick way to make yourself seem childish and get banned. So, with that being said, I'm gonna follow in Memnoch's footsteps. Good bye!

Edited by Kagatoki

your right. but I still like to censor it a bit anyway. It just seems wrong of me not to.

Maybe I'm just a tad crude but for me that's like censoring a cock and balls on a T.V. show but only blurring out the balls. It ultimately does nothing as anyone with a half a brain knows precisely what is on screen, and people still have to see a cock. 

Now, less of this cock and ball talk: back to Metal Gear. 

• Like 1

It's like I was saying on another site - Every single Metal Gear title can actually be completed in less time than they say this prologue's main mission lasts.

The record for MGS2 is under an hour an a half [i think it's 1:26? Maybe less.]

The entirety of the game, mind you.

Skyrim can be beaten in less than 2 hours - and Dark Souls can be beaten in an hour and a half. Hell, the Tanker in MGS2 can be beaten - with every dogtag being obtained on Extreme - in just under 10 minutes.

Yes, the main mission might be short - depending on how you play and whether or not you actually try to complete every objective available It also seems like people are basing their opinion on the entire game, just on one part of the game - the main mission isn't all there is. GameInformer later clarified that they went through the story at least twice, and also completed all of the missions they had available [Which I believe aren't all we'll have at launch, since they said the version they played wasn't completely finished. According to Kojima there will be 5 extra missions to play. Don't know how many of those GI had.] within that 4 hours of playtime.

That means there is at least 3-4 hours of playtime in the game, counting everything - more for those who like to try multiple ways of clearing a given mission.

$20-$30 for a game that will give at least 4, maybe 5 hours of playtime isn't that bad a deal, honestly. Especially when you consider that there are a LOT of games out there that cost almost twice that, that give less in the terms of a campaign. Story is not the only thing you consider when you think about replay value - it's everything else the game offers on TOP of the story.

Like Altered mentioned: The wording is also that the story *can* be completed in 2 hours. Not that it *will* and not that it's *all* there is.

Edited by The Legendary Wolf
  • Like 1

Agreed.

I take my time in games, soaking up the ambience. Sure, in a MGS game you have the option to run & gun 3rd person shooter style on easy, and blow thru the game. But people who opt to play thru the game using stealth on hard, will nodoubt experience a meatier playthru. As The Legendary Wolf just pointed out - all of the Metal Gear games, with the exception of MGSIV & Rising, are short.

I personally think that after people experience the new fox engine, updated mechanics, hear the new snakes voice, and get a taste of what will happen in TPP's story (we'll nodoubt have many questions) - we'll be so  blown away by the production values & excited for TPP, that GZ's length will be forgiven. Not to meantion all the coverage & debats from fans who hate all the new changes! :)

Mgs4 can be completed quickly as well. Less than 2 hours...on extreme.

Also GZ is 2 hours with cut scenes, that being said we all knew it was gonna be short, it's a prologue with extra missions so I'm sure mgs fans will get many hours out of this.

it's a prologue so i didn't expect much, and with that i mean 4 hours (the time you need to complete ACT1 of MGS4) but not even that? shit... 

ill buy it when it's in the 10 dollar bin.

4 hours to complete act 1 of MGS4? It never took me that long unless you count in cutscenes but I still don't think it even took that long with those counted in..

Very short, should have just been DLC..

Also, I wonder what kind of cinema AF goes to that charges £20 per showing.. most they cost here is £4-6.

Edited by TakahashiDemon
  • Like 2

It maybe a little expensive but how many people buy Call Of Duty on release sometimes nearing the £50 mark just to play the multiplayer, once you have the fanbase companies will charge anything. Because they know their fans will buy it on release. I suppose at least konami is releasing another mgs :-)

MGS4 can be completed in 2 1/2 hours. An MGS game lasts for as long you want it to, so what are you complaining about? 

I personally don't mind the length of GZ, but to compare it to a speedrun of mgs4 is a flawed comparison. 

Yes mgs4 can be finished quickly on any dificulty, but this requieres skipping all cutscenes and RUSHING the game. These fast times in mgs title are done after you have finished the game already. GZ took them less than 2 hours without skipping cutscenes and on their first try without rushing.

Game informer reported that GZ can be finished by skipping all cutscenes in 5 minutes or less. Basically:

MGSGZ Regular playthrough: 2:00 hours (give or take)

MGS4 Regular Playthrough: 15 hours (give or take)

MGSGZ Speedrun: 5 minutes (give or take)

MGS4 Speedrun: 2 hours (give or take)

That being said I don't mind the length, after all it is a prologue to the main game.

• Like 1