Biome 2 Survey Really is The Final Boss huh?

silvertongueBR

Took me a while to start this game which turned out to be a gem. 10/10 would recommend for anybody.

After going through Acts 1, 2 and 3 tho, it kinda sucks that your last taste of this game is the frustration of collectables hunting.

That said, I am doing this after a bunch of patches, so I am sure the grind isn't as bad and trophies dont glitch anymore........... right?

Biomes 1 and 4 went naturally. Not a single grind run. Biome 3 came next with almost no grind (4 runs tops).

I am still missing 1 cipher on Biome 5 and 6 and 1 scout log on 5 BUT I like to do things in order, so of course Biome 2 had to come first... Dear lord... why is this part of the game?

Unlike the other Biomes after the 3 acts Biome 2 was still at 10/20 cipers. 5 runs got me to 18/20 ciphers so I was SURE they fixed this grind. Either that or my luck was legendary.

After that I got stuck tho... 20 runs. No new cypher. I went through @Optinooby vid a few times but I was not keeping a record so I had no idea what I was missing. I decided to name each room on the vid I kept record of what I had seen. In this process I found one. Number 11. Now I was at 19/20 and I was 99% sure I was missing Number 19.

Around 15 runs later, I get it to spawn BUT it isnt the one! Apparently I have this. Just out of spite the game spawned this room again in the very next run. Yeah... Funny...

So after all of this I was able to re-check ALL THE ROOMS except NUMBER 1212 is supposed to be a common room and also the first inside the mountain, so I don't know whats going on and why it isnt spawning. Also, the cipher is really obvious in that room, so either I never saw this room or my trophy might have glitched... Hopefully that's not the case.

So, my question for you guys is, does number 12 have a higher chance of spawning online or offline?

Gonna give it a few more tries before going to Biomes 5 and 6. I'd rather not have to restart the savefile for this one trophy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JNSpradlin said:

Biome 2 was easy for me as I spent so much time there trying to beat the second boss. Biome 5 was more of a pain for mejust due to those ninja sword guys & drones. I had the most fun with 6. I love that biome.

I wonder if some ciphers are easier before you beat the boss as some only spawn after you do...

2 hours ago, silvertongueBR said:

Took me a while to start this game which turned out to be a gem. 10/10 would recommend for anybody.

After going through Acts 1, 2 and 3 tho, it kinda sucks that your last taste of this game is the frustration of collectables hunting.

That said, I am doing this after a bunch of patches, so I am sure the grind isn't as bad and trophies dont glitch anymore........... right?

Biomes 1 and 4 went naturally. Not a single grind run. Biome 3 came next with almost no grind (4 runs tops).

I am still missing 1 cipher on Biome 5 and 6 and 1 scout log on 5 BUT I like to do things in order, so of course Biome 2 had to come first... Dear lord... why is this part of the game?

Unlike the other Biomes after the 3 acts Biome 2 was still at 10/20 cipers. 5 runs got me to 18/20 ciphers so I was SURE they fixed this grind. Either that or my luck was legendary.

After that I got stuck tho... 20 runs. No new cypher. I went through @Optinooby vid a few times but I was not keeping a record so I had no idea what I was missing. I decided to name each room on the vid I kept record of what I had seen. In this process I found one. Number 11. Now I was at 19/20 and I was 99% sure I was missing Number 19.

Around 15 runs later, I get it to spawn BUT it isnt the one! Apparently I have this. Just out of spite the game spawned this room again in the very next run. Yeah... Funny...

So after all of this I was able to re-check ALL THE ROOMS except NUMBER 1212 is supposed to be a common room and also the first inside the mountain, so I don't know whats going on and why it isnt spawning. Also, the cipher is really obvious in that room, so either I never saw this room or my trophy might have glitched... Hopefully that's not the case.

So, my question for you guys is, does number 12 have a higher chance of spawning online or offline?

Gonna give it a few more tries before going to Biomes 5 and 6. I'd rather not have to restart the savefile for this one trophy.

Hey mate.

Online/Offline doesn't affect spawn rates, but being Offline can mess up trophies so I would always advise playing online if possible.

For Biome 2 Cipher #12 as it's listed in my guide, yea, that room can be quite rare. Generally on my multiple platinum runs, I've mostly gotten it naturally before the grinding begins, but I will admit that one time it just wouldn't spawn.

All you can do is just keep running it mate, if you wanna make it much quicker, what you can do is back up your save just before you head through the waygate as that is when the rooms are selected.

Then if you don't find it, quit and restore your save back outside the waygate, quickly check again and repeat!

Yea make sure you have finished the game before you begin farming. Some rooms don't actually appear until you've made enough story progression, bad news though is the more you progress, the less chance you have of a specific room appearing because there are more for the game to choose from

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Hey mate.

Online/Offline doesn't affect spawn rates, but being Offline can mess up trophies so I would always advise playing online if possible.

For Biome 2 Cipher #12 as it's listed in my guide, yea, that room can be quite rare. Generally on my multiple platinum runs, I've mostly gotten it naturally before the grinding begins, but I will admit that one time it just wouldn't spawn.

All you can do is just keep running it mate, if you wanna make it much quicker, what you can do is back up your save just before you head through the waygate as that is when the rooms are selected.

Then if you don't find it, quit and restore your save back outside the waygate, quickly check again and repeat!

Yea make sure you have finished the game before you begin farming. Some rooms don't actually appear until you've made enough story progression, bad news though is the more you progress, the less chance you have of a specific room appearing because there are more for the game to choose from

Am I about to save scum for this trophy after avoiding it throughout the whole game????? I guess I am. lol

Thanks, I never thought about that.

Also, decided to runs Biomes 5 and 6. Got 1 cipher on 5 and 1 on 6. Got the trophy for 6.

On 5 I am missing the cipher and scout log (#51) that are in the same room.

Edit: very next run I got done with Biome 5. Seriously, everything BUT Biome 2 has been a breeze.

Edited by silvertongueBR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, silvertongueBR said:

Save scumming didn't work.

Deleted the save and started a new playthrough. Will focus on getting all the Ciphers before facing the boss. Then ciphers after you killed the boss. Then ciphers that only are available after you beat the game.

That could take ages, like I mentioned, some rooms don't appear until certain progress has been made and im not sure which.

You're still going to run into this problem at the end where a particular room is getting very bad RNG and won't spawn.

You may get lucky and have perfect RNG for everything, but it's still just RNG and who knows, if you gave it 1 more cycle, you may have just got your room!!

Some rooms can sometimes seem like they just won't spawn, but they have always spawned eventually.

Usually what has happened with me, each new platinum run, it's always been a different room that just won't spawn.

You're likely going to find the room easily on your next playthrough, but now it will be a different room that just will not spawn!

When u were savescumming, should have been before you entered the waygate.

I hope you have better RNG this time, but you should be prepared for this same thing to happen again ;(

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Optinooby said:

That could take ages, like I mentioned, some rooms don't appear until certain progress has been made and im not sure which.

You're still going to run into this problem at the end where a particular room is getting very bad RNG and won't spawn.

You may get lucky and have perfect RNG for everything, but it's still just RNG and who knows, if you gave it 1 more cycle, you may have just got your room!!

Some rooms can sometimes seem like they just won't spawn, but they have always spawned eventually.

Usually what has happened with me, each new platinum run, it's always been a different room that just won't spawn.

You're likely going to find the room easily on your next playthrough, but now it will be a different room that just will not spawn!

When u were savescumming, should have been before you entered the waygate.

I hope you have better RNG this time, but you should be prepared for this same thing to happen again ;(

I am giving save scumming a few more tries, but like I said, room 12 does not spawn. I get lava pools (room 5); stairs intersect (room 7) and mini boss room but never room 12.

When I deleted my save and ran biome 2 fresh guess which room I got? ROOM 12! I seriously believe this is not a coincidence and room 12 is not able to spawn after you advance too much into the game. I was also checking some "first" Returnal playthroughs on youtube and most people get room 12 in their first run.

This is driving me crazy. All I want is confirmation that room 12 (first room in the MT) is able to spawn after you finish the game...

3 hours ago, silvertongueBR said:

I am giving save scumming a few more tries, but like I said, room 12 does not spawn. I get lava pools (room 5); stairs intersect (room 7) and mini boss room but never room 12.

When I deleted my save and ran biome 2 fresh guess which room I got? ROOM 12! I seriously believe this is not a coincidence and room 12 is not able to spawn after you advance too much into the game. I was also checking some "first" Returnal playthroughs on youtube and most people get room 12 in their first run.

This is driving me crazy. All I want is confirmation that room 12 (first room in the MT) is able to spawn after you finish the game...

Yes, I am confirming that!! I ran platinum about 5 - 7 times, almost everybody else runs it once! Would like to think my experience is quite rare in terms of running platinum and farming ciphers!! I'm not trying to boast as this is stupid more than anything (what sane person would run platinum in this game more than once!!), just trying to back up my claims.

In fact, if you look at my platinum speedrun video, I think Cipher 12 is my last cipher actually in Biome 2 iirc, and you see me grinding it end game.

Cipher 12 on almost every run though came almost naturally, I always had it where before I got to the grinding point. It was just one time, when I recorded it I think that Cipher 12 just wouldn't spawn!

Of all my platinum runs, it was always a different cipher that just took ages to spawn, in almost every biome!

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Yes, I am confirming that!! I ran platinum about 5 - 7 times, almost everybody else runs it once! Would like to think my experience is quite rare in terms of running platinum and farming ciphers!! I'm not trying to boast as this is stupid more than anything (what sane person would run platinum in this game more than once!!), just trying to back up my claims.

In fact, if you look at my platinum speedrun video, I think Cipher 12 is my last cipher actually in Biome 2 iirc, and you see me grinding it end game.

Cipher 12 on almost every run though came almost naturally, I always had it where before I got to the grinding point. It was just one time, when I recorded it I think that Cipher 12 just wouldn't spawn!

Of all my platinum runs, it was always a different cipher that just took ages to spawn, in almost every biome!

All right, so when I said I watched your vid I meat the collectables one. I had no idea you had a platinum walkthrough, So I went and checked that and your are right. Cipher 12 is not your last, but its your 14th and you do get it in Act 3. So it gave me new motivation at least.

1 and 1/2 hours later still nothing, I decided to "change" something. Reactivated start online. Restarted cycle instead of scumming. Spent some ether on Cthonos (I was capped at 30). Got a new artifact. Saved again in front of the gate, but this time before the gate even "opened". Went "backwards" from the boss and there it was... Cipher 12. Platinum is achieved.

In the end I am certain they added some "grind protection". To be honest, if not for Cipher 12, I'd have gotten everything in like 4 runs. Mutiple runs getting 2 Ciphers per Biome. It just doesnt seem to work well for Biome 2.

Also, I would NOT have this platinum without your help @Optinooby. Thank you so much. I'm taking a break from this game before coming back for Ascension. Gonna play either Demons Souls or Ghost of Tsushima next.

Edited by silvertongueBR
  • Like 1