EA joins Sony in call for inclusivity

Rozalia1

2 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Diversity is certainly a good thing in a creative field as people are made up of their experiences and even in our enlightened times people do go through life differently be it for all manner of reasons. Race is heavily focused on of course but even within a racial group your class, where you grow up, so forth makes for drastically different experiences. It is why companies often hire consultants as they feel they wouldn't be able to capture the essence of creating whatever they're going for otherwise.

Hard to say which companies are 50% women but usually even if they are it means women making up the lower positions with some smatterings nearer to the top. There are valid concerns in even that not being exactly great. As for forced diversity/diversity hires. It is something that certain people will have over their head yes, I imagine largely unfairly as the truth is most jobs these days have X amount of equally qualified people. 

However I can understand your view of the matter. Diversity's positives, which you appear to recognise, are hampered by the overzealous dogmatic type of support certain people have for it.

Modern HR is a complete joke. I know because I've seen it.

I grew up embracing diversity. Up until the last 10 - 15 years, our mediums of entertainment were pretty sound. These political movements may have started around this time but they were far more subtle. Only a small handful of people were calling out on them. Nowadays, this forced diversity and transgender debate are front and center on the stage for everybody to see.

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Modern HR is a complete joke. I know because I've seen it.

I grew up embracing diversity. Up until the last 10 - 15 years, our mediums of entertainment were pretty sound. These political movements may have started around this time but they were far more subtle. Only a small handful of people were calling out on them. Nowadays, this forced diversity and transgender debate are front and center on the stage for everybody to see.

I'm not sure about more subtle. 10-15 years ago was the era of their opponents claiming that "Political correctness has gone mad" which is related to these issues. People were certainly getting ruined at that time too by these matters.

Why you're noticing it now more is I'd say because there has been more political will to go against it as a result of more and more of the public turning on it. Activists naturally claim that this is the work of evil people turning people against them in a "culture war" (which they always leave out that they themselves started), but ultimately it has much to do with their own conduct because no one likes a bully and in their meanness that is all they've looked like. Rather than educate as a path to bring about positive change, many seek in their ever growing rage to inflict punishment for the smallest of slights.

Anyway, you seem to agree with Sony/EA/95% of companies that workers shouldn't try to slit their fellow worker's throats, figuratively speaking, over political differences? As you mentioned 10-15 years ago that reminded me of something that used to be more said in the past. "There are three things you don't talk about: politics, religion, and money". Perhaps that common wisdom is making a comeback.

Edited by Rozalia1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Xugoshi said:

What do give a shit about is politics ruining video-games! Can't wait for this woke political bullshit to come to an end.

Though my political opinions are other than psnp members have, I'll agree to you completely. 

This situation mainly shows that many influential people/organizations shouldn't make any political/social statements.

Edited by Baranov_925
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Baranov_925 said:

Companies will do everything for money.

It's not even about money anymore (well, it is but not directly). Companies will gladly censor their movies/games/whatever to please chinese or middle eastern market. The problem is that LGBT involvement will not made them any significant amount of money, but they fear the Pride racketeers. Woke mob will accuse them of not being tolerant enough, and that's bad PR for multinational corporation. You can scream the whole month that a company is not one sentient, thinking being and they don't really care about anything but money, but it will fall on deaf ears.
The whole Jim Ryan's abortion scandal was perfect example. While obviously not being the same thing as this Pride shebang, all he said was to "please tolerate opinions of others on the workplace" and people completely lost their minds as if he lobbied for Jim Crow laws to return.

• Like 4

I expected something very different after seeing this title. 

Well, I don't go to corporations and studios for this kind of statements. Their words and avatar changes on social media don't mean anything to me. But does that mean employees shouldn't be allowed to talk about these rights? It seems like the companies are afraid to lose money from potential boycotts or something, and that's the actual reason.

1 minute ago, boorish_brute said:

LGBTQ movement: please give us equal rights.

Reactionaries: This is mandated tolerance and forced diversity.

If you think that asking for equal rights is too far for you, I don't think these people were ever "allies".

The funny part is that this whole thread is filled with apologists who "advocate for tolerance of a difference of opinion". A difference of opinion is fine when it's something like which colour your prefer. Not when it's about weather or not you think trans people should exist lmao

It's hilarious that for 40 years we get games made mostly by white men for white men. And the moment we see games being made by and for people outside of that group, there's this screeching whining about "keeping politics out of games". Bunch of absolute toddlers.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Doucet-182 said:

It's hilarious that, for 40 years, we get games made mostly by white men for white men. And the moment we see games being made by and for people outside of that group, there's this screeching whining about "keeping politics out of games". Bunch of absolute toddlers.

But, you see, politics is when something I don't like. [insert Kappa emoji here]

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, boorish_brute said:

LGBTQ movement: please give us equal rights.

Reactionaries: This is mandated tolerance and forced diversity.

And what exactly are those rights that LGBT people don't have? All that LGBT movement accomplished in last few years is stuff like https://kotaku.com/activison-blizzard-king-diversity-space-tool-super-mari-1848936056
Every "right" that you might be missing lies in hearts of minds of average Joes, and you won't win them over this way

14 minutes ago, boorish_brute said:

If you think that asking for equal rights is too far for you, I don't think these people were ever "allies".

One may be supportive of same sex marriage, but not so much for biological men competing in woman's sport. Just ask J. K. Rowling how easy is to fall from liberal grace and become persona non grata.

• Like 4

"Keep politics out of my games" but guess what are some of the best games by this people... Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Modern Warfare, Civilization, Bioshock, Deus Ex, etc. I guess a trans character is too much to handle.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, czDante92 said:

And what exactly are those rights that LGBT people don't have? All that LGBT movement accomplished in last few years is stuff like https://kotaku.com/activison-blizzard-king-diversity-space-tool-super-mari-1848936056
Every "right" that you might be missing lies in hearts of minds of average Joes, and you won't win them over this way

One may be supportive of same sex marriage, but not so much for biological men competing in woman's sport. Just ask J. K. Rowling how easy is to fall from liberal grace and become persona non grata.

To anyone reading this garbage and thinking to themselves "yeah fuck the wokes, they're asking for too much", this is a reminder that LGBT youth are twice as likely to contemplate suicide. Kindness and compassion to marginalized groups is more important being unhappy about "too much" diversity.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/17/lgbt-youths-twice-as-likely-to-contemplate-suicide-survey-finds

Edited by Doucet-182
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jeanoltt said:

"Keep politics out of my games" but guess what are some of the best games by this people... Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Modern Warfare, Civilization, Bioshock, Deus Ex, etc. I guess a trans character is too much to handle.

You seem to be conflating 'political theming' with 'political messaging'.

The former is presenting you with a political ideas and letting you decide what you think about it.

The latter is telling you what/how to think.

People like it when they are presened with a story that makes them think, not how to think. 

Unless your take away from something like Bioshock is "captitalism bad".

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Alayaes said:

While this is a tragic statistic, I don't see where the study mentions a lack of rights. This more talks about the societal differences and societal roadblocks. Not saying those aren't real hurdles that we all collectively have to overcome for the betterment of all, but there is no mention of rights or a loss thereof. As far as I'm aware, in the United States, LGBT people have the same rights as any other citizens of the US.

Obviously not talking about other places like Russia or what not; I don't know enough about them nor would I pretend to know.

Just a few rights off the top of my head (there are so so many more)

To this day, gay couples in most states are still unable to easily adopt children due to rampant institutionalized homophobia. 

In 2020, the US government literally banned trans members from joining the military

Most states still don't have any laws covering hate crimes that were made on the basis of gender identity or sexual orientation. Which happens very frequently btw especially towards trans women of colour, who are frequently murder victims.

Not to mention that trans folks are constantly harassed for simply existing. My overall point is mainly that these threads constantly downplay any kind of struggles that LGBT people or other marginalized groups face and it's exhausting.

Edited by Doucet-182
  • Like 2

Just now, Jeanoltt said:

Lol, it's hilarious1f602.png. The reversed situation would be fun to watch.

"Hey, I'm okay with cisgender people but please, stop putting them into the game. I mean, why are there everywhere?"

That small portion of your quote there has actually been echoed in real life quite often, in more ways than one, and has commonly been the catalyst for more forced inclusivity/gender+race swaps. Especially in comic books as well.

5 minutes ago, Alayaes said:

That small portion of your quote there has actually been echoed in real life quite often, in more ways than one, and has commonly been the catalyst for more forced inclusivity/gender+race swaps. Especially in comic books as well.

Probably, but imagine that 99% of the characters in media are cis or hetero. The other 1% that isn't, create a thousand more of this kind of discussions that the 99%. That's the problem. People only see what they don't like.

Edited by Jeanoltt
  • Like 1