Yurukill Trophy Thoughts?

Obligatory post.

I am buying this day 1. Unsure if or when ill play it. May not even open it. 

Seems like itll be bullet hell chaos. So most likely a hard plat but we will see.

*** i won't be playing this any time soon ***

Credit to @Rozalia1 for this amazing in-depth trophy guide and the hard work. As well as keeping this thread alive. Thank you. 

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/14886-yurukill-the-calumniation-games-trophy-guide

Edited by Infected Elite
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BENJAM1N_LINUS said:

Getting this game despite not liking bullet hell games. Everything else around the bullet hell gameplay is very much my kinda jam.

Yeah, i may end up grabbing a second copy to play. Something tells me this will go up in value like Danganronpa did.

I think its just bullethell and then VA with choices. Which yeah, definitely worth it.

Shocked the list came so soon, its out July 5

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BENJAM1N_LINUS said:

Getting this game despite not liking bullet hell games. Everything else around the bullet hell gameplay is very much my kinda jam.

This is my thinking as well.  They got me with the VN and story, even though I rarely play top down shooters

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

Yeah, i may end up grabbing a second copy to play. Something tells me this will go up in value like Danganronpa did.

I think its just bullethell and then VA with choices. Which yeah, definitely worth it.

Shocked the list came so soon, its out July 5

Looks like it's out now in Japan (5/26).

• Like 1

The list is completely safe to view for anyone who is worried about that. Had my eye on this myself and from the list... might be a nasty one to 100% depending on how hard that hell mode actually is.

Anyone with the Asian version able to comment on if there is save transfer or if you have a physical copy it allows you to go PS4 to PS5? The version on the Playstation network gets you both versions of course, but physical is often cheaper.

• Like 1

I have a couple of VNs with shmup bonus games (Zero no Tsukaima Muma ga Tsumugu Yokaze no Fantasy ltd ed & Instant Brain) but haven't seen an actual VN/Shmup hybrid since Shikigami no Shiro: Nanayozuki Gensoukyoku. That game had gimped shooting sequences compared to the main games & I'm expecting Yurukill to be similar. I'm still waiting for a video of the score attack on the hardest difficulty which no one has uploaded yet & when I went to the shmups forum I found out why that is.

Apparently you have to finish the main game before all the stages & ships are unlocked in score attack. The VN & point & click sections seem to go on for hours as well. That sounds like something I'd find really annoying but definitely picking this up anyway. I thought I had pre-ordered it at amiami but was mistaken. It's still in stock there though which greatly increases the chances of the game going on sale so I'm going to play with fire & wait to see if it gets discounted. If it sells out I'll take the L & buy it at a higher price elsewhere.

I probably wouldn't be in a rush to play anyway. The shmups G-Rev make are pretty far removed from what I want out of the genre but Border Down & Under Defeat are pretty expensive now so it makes sense to pick up a physical copy. 

As far as the trophies go those look pretty good! Can't really determine how difficult it'll be until someone uploads a video of score attack on Hell difficulty so hopefully that happens soon. 

On 28/05/2022 at 3:58 AM, Drag-On-Detritus said:

I have a couple of VNs with shmup bonus games (Zero no Tsukaima Muma ga Tsumugu Yokaze no Fantasy ltd ed & Instant Brain) but haven't seen an actual VN/Shmup hybrid since Shikigami no Shiro: Nanayozuki Gensoukyoku. That game had gimped shooting sequences compared to the main games & I'm expecting Yurukill to be similar. I'm still waiting for a video of the score attack on the hardest difficulty which no one has uploaded yet & when I went to the shmups forum I found out why that is.

Apparently you have to finish the main game before all the stages & ships are unlocked in score attack. The VN & point & click sections seem to go on for hours as well. That sounds like something I'd find really annoying but definitely picking this up anyway. I thought I had pre-ordered it at amiami but was mistaken. It's still in stock there though which greatly increases the chances of the game going on sale so I'm going to play with fire & wait to see if it gets discounted. If it sells out I'll take the L & buy it at a higher price elsewhere.

I probably wouldn't be in a rush to play anyway. The shmups G-Rev make are pretty far removed from what I want out of the genre but Border Down & Under Defeat are pretty expensive now so it makes sense to pick up a physical copy. 

As far as the trophies go those look pretty good! Can't really determine how difficult it'll be until someone uploads a video of score attack on Hell difficulty so hopefully that happens soon. 

Any update on the front of how difficult it is?

As for if there is a PS4 to PS5 upgrade. Appears that there is if the Hong Kong? PlayStation store the game is listed on is anything to go by.

On 03/06/2022 at 1:17 AM, Rozalia1 said:

Any update on the front of how difficult it is?

As for if there is a PS4 to PS5 upgrade. Appears that there is if the Hong Kong? PlayStation store the game is listed on is anything to go by.

While I still can't find any videos of hell difficulty I did search in Japanese & found a review on amazon japan that was more or less a warning to completionist trophy hunters. The review claimed hell mode was very hard indeed.

Someone did upload a video of an all stage score attack run on normal difficulty, & while it looked very basic & quite easy for the genre, the run was 21 'rounds' & one and half hours long which is 3-5 times longer than a game like this should be (imo) so the length is going to add to the difficulty for sure.

It's hard to say how much harder hell mode will be without seeing it but with that length it'll definitely be a plat blocker for some. If they just made the same normal mode bullet patterns faster that wouldn't be too bad but if they're a lot denser as well that would make things quite tough. With that said there's a bullet cancelling mechanic in the game which seems to charge up quite fast & one of the load screen tips said this mechanic is the key to getting through hard mode. I'm expecting hell to be a standard shmup difficulty but with that length it definitely won't be a breeze.

17 hours ago, Drag-On-Detritus said:

While I still can't find any videos of hell difficulty I did search in Japanese & found a review on amazon japan that was more or less a warning to completionist trophy hunters. The review claimed hell mode was very hard indeed.

Someone did upload a video of an all stage score attack run on normal difficulty, & while it looked very basic & quite easy for the genre, the run was 21 'rounds' & one and half hours long which is 3-5 times longer than a game like this should be (imo) so the length is going to add to the difficulty for sure.

It's hard to say how much harder hell mode will be without seeing it but with that length it'll definitely be a plat blocker for some. If they just made the same normal mode bullet patterns faster that wouldn't be too bad but if they're a lot denser as well that would make things quite tough. With that said there's a bullet cancelling mechanic in the game which seems to charge up quite fast & one of the load screen tips said this mechanic is the key to getting through hard mode. I'm expecting hell to be a standard shmup difficulty but with that length it definitely won't be a breeze.

That length certainly is concerning because as you say, these sort of games tend to be a shorter length than that.

I see. Hopefully there will be more videos up before it releases so we can know what we're in for. Like yourself I expect it shouldn't be too bad overall, as I expect the game was made with mostly VN fans in mind rather than bullet hell fans.

Edited by Rozalia1

• 4 weeks later...

Got the game and have done the first chapter on the hardest difficulty. Keeping in mind that I'm a newbie at the shoot 'em genre, it does seem very difficult yeah. Most players are going to need an expert to do a guide I think so they can note down all the tricks they find with the bosses. While a newbie at this genre I believe the case with the genre is that as imposing as all the firepower bosses shoot at you, there is always going to be some spot that is safe. For example, one of the phases in the 1st level has the boss throw out an overwhelmingly amount of firepower, but if you go right up to his face and then do some slight adjustments over a few seconds while shooting down some missiles you can dodge everything.

Each level has 3 parts, each having a boss with at least 3 phases at the end of it. Each part has a hidden collectible in the section before the bosses that is invisible, only revealed if you shoot it, and only being able to be collected if you hit it with a bomb or special shot. You have a special shot that uses up... unsure amounts of energy though it is a small amount. It does require you to be above 20% to engage it, though you can hold the button to rapid fire the shots. I noticed that in some boss phases this special shot was key in clearing it safely. I think potentially a good thing to do is use it a whole bunch in the sections before the bosses as it does chew through the normal enemies very effectively. You also have a bomb. The bomb does damage wherever it hits, wipes away any bullets caught in the blast, and also makes you invincible for a small period of time. If playing on Easy/Normal then your bomb will auto go off if you're hit to protect your life, but on Hell it won't do that. You need at least 20% to use the bomb and all of it gets used up on use, though the more you have the bigger the bomb blast is. Notably if you get the energy to 100% then the bomb will clear the screen including dispatching bosses in 1 shot, so potentially you can use it to skip a difficult boss phase if you can pass the phase before it without losing a life. There are also at least 4 different ships, though I've only used the first balanced ship thus far (hopefully one of the unlockable ships makes the game easier).

Hell mode in score attack starts you with 5 lives. No idea if clearing levels gives you any extra lives but the collectibles are present so that is a possible +21 lives. Enemies on Hell are certainly upgraded with them firing more bullets and some enemies that don't fire bullets now firing bullets. Additionally the game on top of the difficulty modes has a dynamic difficulty where if you're doing good then the game will increase the difficulty, and this includes the bosses whose attacks will get upgraded. Losing 1 life will depower them back down but considering you have to beat 21 stages with a possible 26 lives... yeah, you can't afford to be wasting lives to depower them so you likely will need to be beating up these super versions of the bosses too.

Story mode hell mode has a quiz thing before the stage which if you get right will start you with 10 lives. Though in story mode you're often interrupted by questions and getting any of those wrong costs you 3 lives, so it would not be advised to do story mode on hell mode. It does seem like you can't up the difficulty once you lower it though so something you can do is before the shooting starts, save, do the level on a lower difficulty to first work out the answers to the questions, and then load up your file and continue on Hell mode. There is no trophy for doing the story mode on Hell mode of course, but it gets you some practice.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

i actually forgot i ordered this, i will try it out. Im not good at bullet hell type games but excited. Wonder how easy "easy mode" will be 1f605.png ill try hell, but im no expert.

Easy mode is actually the default difficulty. Both Easy and Normal are very achievable and even someone like me who as I've said is a rookie at these games can get through the stages without losing a life. Hell is a whole different ballgame however. We'll have to wait for an expert to get their hands on the game so they can work out how difficult Hell mode truly is because it might not be too bad if they work out all the patterns to the stages.

I've unlocked the third and forth ships. Third ship's gimmick is it has a very wide spread to where it can hit across the whole screen which trivialises some sections other ships would have trouble with. It'll be useful when working out where the collectibles are no doubt though it actually sucks at getting the collectibles as the only surefire way to get them is with a bomb as the special shot won't be able to land if the collectibles goes far enough down the screen. Forth ships gimmick seems to be it has the most firepower and you can either shoot it in a spread where it ain't great, or you can focus it all on you to give you a powerful thin line of fire. Potentially the best ship in my eyes, but an expert might feel different.

• Like 2

On 03/07/2022 at 9:55 AM, Rozalia1 said:

Easy mode is actually the default difficulty. Both Easy and Normal are very achievable and even someone like me who as I've said is a rookie at these games can get through the stages without losing a life. Hell is a whole different ballgame however. We'll have to wait for an expert to get their hands on the game so they can work out how difficult Hell mode truly is because it might not be too bad if they work out all the patterns to the stages.

I've unlocked the third and forth ships. Third ship's gimmick is it has a very wide spread to where it can hit across the whole screen which trivialises some sections other ships would have trouble with. It'll be useful when working out where the collectibles are no doubt though it actually sucks at getting the collectibles as the only surefire way to get them is with a bomb as the special shot won't be able to land if the collectibles goes far enough down the screen. Forth ships gimmick seems to be it has the most firepower and you can either shoot it in a spread where it ain't great, or you can focus it all on you to give you a powerful thin line of fire. Potentially the best ship in my eyes, but an expert might feel different.

So hey, im looking at this list, do any of these stack? whats it mean complete ch 1 to 7 on a practice run on easy, normal? its just training? also sounds like one sitting.

i think i should be able to get most trophies with a collectable guide/answer walkthrough, but i wont go near the Hell mode unless it isnt too bad. lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

So hey, im looking at this list, do any of these stack? whats it mean complete ch 1 to 7 on a practice run on easy, normal? its just training? also sounds like one sitting.

i think i should be able to get most trophies with a collectable guide/answer walkthrough, but i wont go near the Hell mode unless it isnt too bad. lol.

None of the trophies stack outside I assume the get 6/12/21 collectible ones. So yes, you got to beat all the levels 6 times with each session taking about 1 and a half hours so... 9 hours total, if of course you do them in one shot which is unlikely going to be the case when it comes to Hell. Pretty much anyone can get 82%, and 91% is manageable as practice Hell mode allows you to start with 99 lives and you have 21 bonus lives available too. Hell mode for real though starts you with 5 lives (21 bonus lives available) so a lot of people are going to stumble on that.

Main story itself you're looking at 12 hours or so (don't do it on Hell, not worth it as wrong answers will take 3 lives off you that you can't afford to be losing). The only missable trophies in the main story is answering 10 high speed quizzes correctly and solving 10 puzzles without a hint, so you really don't have to worry about as the puzzles are largely easy (plus you can just load your game after hearing the hints) while the high speed quizzes are also very easy and there is much more than 10 of them.

I've completed the game now. I'm not going to say anything about the story because if I start saying certain things it'll give stuff away, but the consensus will likely be that the game could have certainly been better in that respect. The puzzles are also largely very easy too, though there are some harder ones which rather than work out I was able to just guess so... yeah. There are two puzzles near the end which might be very nasty for certain people not good with the sort of puzzle it is. Shoot 'em gameplay seems competently done, but I'm no expert on the genre. In conclusion it ain't a top tier game of this genre, which is bad for it considering it comes out so close to AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative which is, but if you enjoy these type of games then it is worth getting too.

Though unlike other games in the genre, the platinum does in fact have some difficulty due to Hell mode. My conclusion on the best ship currently is the third one as the spread of your shots is just so useful. Weaknesses of the ship is it is the slowest ship, you're likely going to have to use a bomb to collect collectibles (which you need as they give you an extra life), and it's special shot is terrible as a defensive weapon (though seems decent offensively). When it comes to difficulty I haven't done the later levels on Hell but on Normal they seem to have easier bosses, which is good as it should mean that as long as you can get through the earlier levels in a good way then you should be able to clear the whole thing. Final boss I feel is one of the easier bosses and on top of that their first 2 forms only have 2 phases, so doesn't seem to be game where you hit the final boss and the difficulty suddenly explodes.

Edited by Rozalia1
  • Like 2

I noticed on the scores that go up most people use the 1st ship. The scores are massive also because I do believe you get a massive point bonus for killing things with your special shot, which the 1st ship has the most effective normal enemy killer of the bunch due to it having homing. Makes me wonder if the best ship is in fact the 1st... someone needs to investigate that. Checked out all the bosses on Hell and well, some I've yet to really get a handle on. One of the phases of the final fight on stage 6 has had me stumped every time I've faced it.

Got all the collectibles. You have to get them all in one run and the window for getting them isn't long, but it ain't that hard to get them if you know they're coming and you can do it on Easy also (has to be score attack, not practice).

Stage 1

1- Near the end two guys with destructible cannons spawn. On the far right.

2- When two centipedes surround you, it is in the middle.

3- After the circular machine gun guys spawn, on the left side.

Stage 2

1- Final set of enemies is a a line of machine gunners, on the right side. Need to get quickly as boss spawns soon after.

2- Midway through the level there will be a lull and then two waves of guys will teleport in to attack you. After them there will an obstruction in the middle you have to go around on the left or right, the collectible is in the gap in the middle of the obstruction and not moving (only one like this).

3- After boxes fly across the background and the last guy with destructible cannons shows up (red coloured) it comes down on the far right.

Stage 3

1- After the double laser ships on the left side.

2- When 5 vertical lines appear to signal enemies incoming. On left side in-between 1 and 2.

3- At the start as guys are coming in left and right, it is on the far right side of the screen.

Stage 4

1- After the second batch of double laser guys a wave of enemies comes in on the left side. The collectible is on the right side of the screen.

2- At the start when two laser guys spawn on the right, the collectible comes down the left.

3- Early on in the middle lane.

Stage 5

1- When you are made able to fly above the train on the left, the collectible appears on the right side of the screen.

2- After destroying initial train turrets, it is on the far left.

3- After you get alerts about incoming enemies it appears on the far right. Go back to the middle after collecting it to not get trapped.

Stage 6

1- After the double power ups there will be a mass wave first from the left and then the right. When they're coming from the right the collectible spawns on the far left.

2- Early on as the guys who leave an explosion on death are showing up it'll come down on the left side.

3-  After double power ups it'll come down the middle.

Stage 7

1- After first two big enemies with destroyable cannons a centipede enemy on the far left spawns with it.

2- After you bring down a very large ship near the start, spawns on the far right. Takes a little bit of time to.

3- After destroying two laser guys it'll spawn on the far left with a third laser guy. 

• Like 2

After a run, granted on Easy, I'm thinking the best ship might actually be the first one due to it's homing special shots. Special shots build up combo and thereby energy gain as they nullify enemy attacks so if your shots are hitting the areas that enemy attacks spawn from then you rack up huge combos, get a lot of energy, and so can continue to pummel them with your barrage while being safe.

The only boss currently eluding me on how to fight it is Stage 6's third boss.

• Like 2

@Drag-On-Detritus You came off like an expert at the genre when you were posting. You getting this? Doing a guide?

As for myself, did a run on practise Hell mode just to see how a run would look like. The parts before bosses do have increased difficulty but from what I saw it ain't enough to make it all that harder than Normal, so you shouldn't drop a life in these parts outside you losing concentration and messing up.

I would have failed to do the run if it was for real and not practice of course, however the majority of my deaths were on boss phases I just did not have a handle on how to effectively fight which is good as logically if I knew how to fight them then I'd be able to get by without losing so many lives. A number of boss phases even on Hell are toothless and some others that would be a threat can be effectively skipped by usage of the 1st ship's homing special shots rendering their attacks useless. The final stage even on Hell is the easiest in the game which is nice.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

@Drag-On-Detritus You came off like an expert at the genre when you were posting. You getting this? Doing a guide?

As for myself, did a run on practise Hell mode just to see how a run would look like. The parts before bosses do have increased difficulty but from what I saw it ain't enough to make it all that harder than Normal, so you shouldn't drop a life in these parts outside you losing concentration and messing up.

I would have failed to do the run if it was for real and not practice of course, however the majority of my deaths were on boss phases I just did not have a handle on how to effectively fight which is good as logically if I knew how to fight them then I'd be able to get by without losing so many lives. A number of boss phases even on Hell are toothless and some others that would be a threat can be effectively skipped by usage of the 1st ship's homing special shots rendering their attacks useless. The final stage even on Hell is the easiest in the game which is nice.

I dunno about expert that might be a bit 'too kind' but I do pick up every shmup for the systems I own which amounts to hundreds at this point & I can get them done when I stick with them. The bar for being good at these is so high & I've watched so many flawless replays of various games I can never think of myself as being that good at them. The love & enthusiasm is there though!

Yurukill is on the way, I was waiting to see if the game would go on sale at AmiAmi so I could combine that with a pre order for Psikyo Shooting Collection vol 1 & it did get a modest discount so I've paid those two off as of last week & they should arrive early next week. Paying in Yen is much better than USD etc due to the exchange rate so I'm not just being a weeb with this. 

The game certainly looks very appealing & I'll try to start it sooner rather than later. Dunno about a guide but if I find any good info while playing I'll certainly post it up. I saw a video of one of the ships which had 4 'options' that just tore through boss phases when the options were all arranged to shoot straight. I'm really keen on trying that ship out in particular as it's supposed to be good for the levels with environmental hazards as well.

I see you've posted up heaps of info which is awesome, love that & I'll certainly read over it all again when the game arrives. That's good to know Hell sounds reasonable & it seems like a matter of practice, knowing when to bullet cancel/bomb & maybe a bit of rank control as well. Very much looking forward to it in any case!

• Like 2

On 09/07/2022 at 3:26 AM, Drag-On-Detritus said:

I dunno about expert that might be a bit 'too kind' but I do pick up every shmup for the systems I own which amounts to hundreds at this point & I can get them done when I stick with them. The bar for being good at these is so high & I've watched so many flawless replays of various games I can never think of myself as being that good at them. The love & enthusiasm is there though!

Yurukill is on the way, I was waiting to see if the game would go on sale at AmiAmi so I could combine that with a pre order for Psikyo Shooting Collection vol 1 & it did get a modest discount so I've paid those two off as of last week & they should arrive early next week. Paying in Yen is much better than USD etc due to the exchange rate so I'm not just being a weeb with this. 

The game certainly looks very appealing & I'll try to start it sooner rather than later. Dunno about a guide but if I find any good info while playing I'll certainly post it up. I saw a video of one of the ships which had 4 'options' that just tore through boss phases when the options were all arranged to shoot straight. I'm really keen on trying that ship out in particular as it's supposed to be good for the levels with environmental hazards as well.

I see you've posted up heaps of info which is awesome, love that & I'll certainly read over it all again when the game arrives. That's good to know Hell sounds reasonable & it seems like a matter of practice, knowing when to bullet cancel/bomb & maybe a bit of rank control as well. Very much looking forward to it in any case!

I'd call that an expert, just not a master you could say.

Sounds like the 4th ship your description. The options move around depending on what direction you're moving, but using X to fire locks them in place wherever they are so you can lock them in place so they fire in a tight formation for the most damage possible.

Looking forward to your analysis. I've noted down some information and got most phases down, but some still feel off as they take too long and don't feel like I'm tackling it as safe as possible. The final parts of Stage 1/5/6 seem to be the hardest points. 2/3/7 seem easy. 4 is a bit iffy with the 1st ship due to the angles of enemy attacks in some phases.

Edited by Rozalia1

I can confirm that the trophy for "completing" all of the high speed quizzes (section before the stage starts) is actually for getting all of the questions correctly. So if you get a question wrong don't continue playing and instead load your game to get it correct next time. Otherwise you'll have to run though the story again.

While playing the story on Hell I become frustrated especially on stage 4 as you're forced to use the other ships which I just don't think are as good as the 1st one. I did figure some stuff out for Hell though boss phase 7 on stage 1 is still completely unknown to me on how you're supposed to approach the thing. You could of course enter the fight at 100% and Ex Bomb it sure, but the lead up to the fight where all those big guys show up is going to be tough to get through without using your energy to shoot them dead quickly.

Tried Practice Hell all stages mode with 99 lives, managed to get to the final boss with like 5 lives and promptly died. :)
Can't even imagine doing score hell mode with 5(+21) lives. This trophy can stay the fuck away. :) 

• Like 1

On 18/07/2022 at 1:58 PM, Lymus said:

Tried Practice Hell all stages mode with 99 lives, managed to get to the final boss with like 5 lives and promptly died. :)
Can't even imagine doing score hell mode with 5(+21) lives. This trophy can stay the fuck away. :) 

I wouldn't be so hasty to give up on it, certainly not at the practice Hell mode trophy. A large amount of bosses if you know how to fight them are rendered no threat. I'd provide the tricks here, though with the amount of bosses in the game I might as well just get a guide up... though I'm unsure if I'd be able to get it published having not done the hardest task in the game. 

If you aren't already make sure that you are using the 1st ship and taking advantage of the R1/R2 shots. They nullify any non-laser attack which against certain bosses can wipe out their offense completely.