Fighting Genre 101 (Comprehensive Guide)

LancashireLad87

I don't think I'm at guru level (yet), but I appreciate the compliment!

I'll read this in more detail when I'm home from work, but before the guys who have been playing fighting games since they were a fetus come in and say everything is a 3/10, I wanted to say that I'd rank BlazBlue Chronophantasma Extend at least Tier 4. My experience with combo challenges was limited at that point, and I really struggled with the trophy for completing all of one chatacter's challenges.

• Like 4

Love the work you put into this guide, Lancashire. I appreciate it.

A lot of the terminology that the community uses still goes right over my head, so it's nice to have everything defined in one post. 

The difficulty tier list is great too. Might have to refer to this for a game or two while I get ready for some of the tougher fighters I intend to play.

Keep up the great work, man. I'll be coming back to this every now and then for reference. ?

• Like 4

I would rank Nitroplus in Tier 2. I almost want to say Tier 1, but I'm trying to keep beginners in mind. The game is going to be a cakewalk for anyone halfway decent at fighters, but there's one combo-related trophy that might require some practice for a beginner.

Also, I'd rank Arcana Heart 3 Love Max in Tier 3. There is a cheese method for the superboss (still fairly tough though). The difficulty comes from Trial Mode or whatever it was called. You need to fight matches under certain limitations or win with certain conditions. Some of the trials would be tough for a beginner, but doable with practice. There are some combo related trophies too that again would be tough for a beginner, but doable with practice. I wouldn't recommend this game due to the grindy plat, but at any rate, Tier 3 is where I would rank it.

• Like 2

I appreciate the praise and feedback thus far, I have made small edits to the original post to make the sentences flow better when reading. I've added all suggestions in terms of game difficulty and thanks to Copanele for explaining what fuzzy guarding is, I had no idea! Yes training mode is invaluable there's no denying that but the amount of times people jump who are low ranked players is absurd I probably get at least 3-4 anti-airs per round it's like they have springs in their feet :) 

I spent about 4 hours typing it out on google docs and a further hour formatting it for PSNP. Time well spent!

Edited by LancashireLad87
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, LancashireLad87 said:

I appreciate the praise and feedback thus far, I have made small edits to the original post to make the sentences flow better when reading. I've added all suggestions in terms of game difficulty and thanks to Copanele for explaining what fuzzy guarding is, I had no idea! Yes training mode is invaluable there's no denying that but the amount of times people jump who are low ranked players is absurd I probably get at least 3-4 anti-airs per round it's like they have springs in their feet :) 

I spent about 4 hours typing it out on google docs and a further hour formatting it for PSNP. Time well spent!

Virtua Fighter continues to be ignored. ?

12 hours ago, CobraMJD said:

Virtua Fighter continues to be ignored. 1f61e.png

If you read the original posted I clearly stated that games that don't have a platinum trophy will not be considered in my list.

@Copanele Damn that's an awesome list you wrote with a lot of games I've never heard of. That must have took a fair amount of time to type!

@Everyone  A lot of the fighting games I've mentioned in my post I haven't played so I either had to speculate the difficulty or look at trophy guides. Is there any game I've ranked which you feel is misplaced? The layout could definitely use some work, I'm also wondering if I've missed something important. I was going to include video references to show some of these principles in action. Let me know what you guys think!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LancashireLad87 said:

If you read the original posted I clearly stated that games that don't have a platinum trophy will not be considered in my list.

@Copanele Damn that's an awesome list you wrote with a lot of games I've never heard of. That must have took a fair amount of time to type!

@Everyone  A lot of the fighting games I've mentioned in my post I haven't played so I either had to speculate the difficulty or look at trophy guides. Is there any game I've ranked which you feel is misplaced?

Oh right, now I see it. For me ,your post was so detailed that, trophies became 2nd plan really.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LancashireLad87 said:

Whoops I completely added the non platinum ones xD because some of them are so tough they completely kick the ones with platinum in the teeth. 

I will edit my post later on, will add a little :platinum: or ? next to the game. 

And.. I will have to play sf x tekken, at least one DoA and one Soul Calibur to complete my profile. It is inevitable ?

1 hour ago, LancashireLad87 said:

@Everyone  A lot of the fighting games I've mentioned in my post I haven't played so I either had to speculate the difficulty or look at trophy guides. Is there any game I've ranked which you feel is misplaced? The layout could definitely use some work, I'm also wondering if I've missed something important. I was going to include video references to show some of these principles in action. Let me know what you guys think!

I think that the games are pretty well ranked ? 

Maybe I would put Arcana Heart 3 Love Max one tier higher, but only if that game has the rollerblades girl combo. I know the original AH3 has those nasty trophies and they are definitely not your average platinum. 

• Like 1

Superb work on this fighting game guide. It's well-written and covers a lot of the basics for anyone looking to dip their toes into the genre. The inclusion of a tier list to rank the difficulty of the many fighting games out there is also very helpful for newcomers. Granted, difficulty can be subjective at times, but if there's enough input from a variety of voices here, I think a consensus can be reached as to which games are easier and which games are harder to tackle.

I got to say, as a fighting game noob myself, a lot of the terminology used here went over my head. x3 For real, I may have platted a few difficult games here and there but a lot of the concepts such as frame, whiffing and the like still leave me like ---> o3o Can't quite get it through my thick skull, lmao. But still, I've gotten a fair amount of practice with the genre in recent years and I am quite the cheese enjoyer ? in these games, so I can still hold my own when playing against the CPU or to get a platty here and there. A skilled human opponent would most likely get a free out of me, though. xxD

The tier list on the OP is fairly accurate. Same with the one @Copanele added up above. I don't believe there's much I'd change on them right now with the games I've experienced. One question I would have is, are we adding multiple versions of a game to the list, right? Since the different iterations of Blazblue are there and they all have different difficulty levels, it would be wise too to consider, say, the two different versions of Arcana Heart 3 out there. With vanilla being carefully securing a Tier 4 spot, and its Love Max!!!!! iteration being slightly easier to land on Tier 3.

Also...and this is probably a million-dollar question but, what the fighting games on the Vita? Should we consider and rank those as well? Sometimes they are pretty much the same as their home console counterparts, but playing on a portable device adds a whole different dimension of challenges and, eh, pain.

Here's a list with a few games that I see are missing from getting a proper consideration for the list:

And that about does it. I purposely left out arena fighters and beat 'em ups because those are completely different genres. I also didn't include games that don't have a platinum, although I personally feel we should include those as well. Haven't played all of them but I can offer thoughts for a few of the ones I have completed already if interested.

Thanks for the amazing work you're doing on this guide! ^^

• Like 4

@Honor_Hand Appreciate the support. If I recall I wrote BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend in the to-rank list but I abbreviated it to BBCS Extend. As for the other games you mentioned I've heard of Melty Blood but none of the other ones. I'll add your suggestions to the list of games to be ranked. Perhaps I can find another good fighting game from your list. As for adding different versions of games I personally don't see any reason why they shouldn't be included. Finally Vita games some of them are drastically different from their console counterpart, isn't Street Fighter X Tekken way less grindy on the Vita?

I didn't add any Vita games originally because I have very little knowledge of them :) 

• Like 1

@LancashireLad87 Awesome, man. Thanks! Yeah, I must've missed that one. I see you updated the thread now with the rest of the games. Hope you find enjoyment with any of the ones I shared. The ones I've played haven't been particularly deep but have been fun nonetheless. I've heard a lot of Melty Blood myself too so I'm eager to try that one at some point.

As for Vita fighting games, yes, I'm not sure if the grind is difficult in that one, but having to do combo challenges and the like on the handheld I can foresee being more difficult than on the home console. But yeah, just like you, I have very little experience with Vita fighters myself. I have started only like one or two and I have yet to finish them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've fleshed out the Tier 1 games to include a bit more context on why there in their respective category and added details of the hardest trophy for each of the games I've played. Let me know what you guys think, I was thinking of adding a video reference for them so if you guys have any clips on your YouTube channels for any of these trophies feel free to link them and I'll add them to the thread. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Thank you for the post! I am almost done with my 1st fighting game (Street Fighter X Tekken). Trusting the list, if this game is in the "Moderate" category, than that's definitely my limit. My experience with the game was not very good, but I will give fighting games a 2nd chance and try Injustice 2. It seems like it's easier and maybe I have more fun since I like DC characters! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, zemiguelreis said:

Thank you for the post! I am almost done with my 1st fighting game (Street Fighter X Tekken). Trusting the list, if this game is in the "Moderate" category, than that's definitely my limit. My experience with the game was not very good, but I will give fighting games a 2nd chance and try Injustice 2. It seems like it's easier and maybe I have more fun since I like DC characters! 

I'm currently playing through Injustice 2, I'm only missing the dreaded "Cat Fight" trophy which is completely luck based unless you're prepared to spend 50 hours of grinding. If you don't mind grinding then I would say Injustice 2 is a decent game, if you don't like grinding I would avoid the game. The game has a great tutorial for Batman that teaches you a lot about the game and its mechanics but there are better fighters out there than Injustice 2 in my opinion.

If your set on playing nothing above the moderate tier of difficulty then I'd personally recommend both Mortal Kombat 11 and Guilty Gear XRD Revelator both great games. 

• Like 1