Sony Game & Network Services Presentation - May 2022

Tirmata

It feels to me they just want to aim for your wallet more than anything than giving a real damn about the players. funny how before there used to be a line called "for the players" this is really for us ain't it. Draining us of every single penny till nothing is left

• Like 1

Nothing is really surprising here. They are going to focus on telling investors about their monetization practices to ensure they invest more. DLC & Microtransactions are the breadwinners for most companies, so yeah, this makes complete sense for them to appear front and center in an investor call.

It also makes complete sense for Sony to branch out into PC and Mobile. It's especially important to target PC as its competition has been doing that. You're exposing your games to millions of potential customers, again, it's something they want to highlight to investors.

I wouldn't really be concerned about anything in this meeting. Sony is in a good position and planning to expand its business operations as a result.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

Of course they are. Sony is a business not a charity. Every business is aiming for your wallet more than anything. We really need to let go of the romantic notion we have of these corporations. They aren't our friends, and they never were. All you can do is vote with your wallet if you don't like or agree with something that X, Y or Z company is doing and go elsewhere if there is a better alternative. 

Oh I know they are not a friend and so on I just feel they should do more good for the players as happy gamers is more people willing to buy more of your things but nowadays people are too brainwashed to give a shit or vote with their wallets as there is too many fan boys to too many companies nowadays but yeah.

I wouldn't take any of this as negative news considering Sony has shown that they still care about creating excellent single player games and i dont see that changing anytime soon as its been quite the success.

If they can put the same amount of effort into F2P games then that would be a good thing to see as the same games have been dominating that space for quite some time now so it's in need of more competition. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lonemankane said:

Oh I know they are not a friend and so on I just feel they should do more good for the players as happy gamers is more people willing to buy more of your things...

I understand where you're coming from, I do, but you can't expect anything from any business, especially so from a massive corporation.

PlayStation doesn't need to do more for anyone because they're the dominant market leader, and have been for the past decade. Demand for their product could not be any higher as it is, so they really have no incentive to do anything out of their way for gamers. This is also why you see them doing some brazen things of late this generation, because they're testing the waters to see how far they can push certain things, and they're allowed to do so because it'll ultimately have no effect on their bottom line because again, they're the market leader. This is also why you see Microsoft trying their hardest to appear as pro-consumer (lol) as possible with a lot of their (money losing) initiatives. They need to appear as the good guy to try and claw back as much market share as possible, but make no mistake, if MS were the ones on top you would absolutely see them doing everything that Sony is doing too, and more. Remember when MS tried to double the price of Xbox Live Gold overnight to force people into Game Pass? Point being is that no corporation has your back. They will all try to get away with what they can. PlayStation are the top dog so you will see this kind of thing more from them than anyone else, but they're all the same at the end of the day.

• Like 3

More DLC and more F2P, I think it's kinda unavoidable at this stage.

Developing big projects are becoming more and more expensive, so developers have to earn that money, somehow.

It usually takes many years to develop a grand SP game after all, and during that time developers still need to pay for everything.

Am I worried that developers realize that live service / gacha games like Genshin are actually quite profitable?
Not really.

The moment developers start to do the same thing, the market becomes over-saturated and gamers won't play those games anymore and they'll end up losing money.

And, I think Playstation realizes that.

Yes, there is a huge market for SP games and big experiences.

But, they also realize that they need to pay the bills and some people don't mind paying a couple extra bucks for DLC/lootboxes.

Heck, the moment Mass Affect gets a new MP, I'll be spending a lot of money on that, myself.

In the end, there are plenty of games out there, many more than the average person could ever play.

Play what you like, and ignore what you don't like. (I know, people ignoring something that they don't like won't ever happen these days... would be nice though.)

Now, Playstation have messed up plenty of things the passed 10+ years and let me down on multiple occasions.

The last one being the news that there won't be any DLC with the new PS Plus PS3 games.

But, they have also given me thousands of hours of fun with their games and console, and I'm sure that's not going to change.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Tirmata said:

Sony just shared investor presentation today.

It gives lots of insight where Playstation gaming will go in the future, but gaming is a very dynamic industry, so who knows.

My key takeaways are:

- DLCs will be more important in gaming or at least they expect to monetize them more. Hope this won't cause more unfinished base games.

- F2P games have significant revenue share on digital spendings, so we might see more free games with microtransactions

- I am not sure how they measured the existing PS Plus subscription satisfaction and achieved 33% extremely satisfied :D No one asked me in past 6 years

- In slide 34, they say in 3 years the console releases will be only half of the releases by Sony, which is a significant and bold change. I don't think it will turn out that way, but wonder what they have in mind.

- It seems PSVR2 will get 20+ 'major' games

I don't want to be negative, but I personally don't like the shift to mobile gaming, F2P games, or tons of DLCs. Probably, it is because I am getting old and the popular gaming is changing with the new generation. I'll be happy with a few quality games per year anyways, there are much to play already.

What is your thought?

dlc can be a good thing money wise and fan wise look at spiderman ghost of tsushima and the last of us it probably brought in more sales and gave fans more content sometimes i wish we had more rather wait 5-6 years for new content 

and with the free to play games i couldn't really care about it's just a way for them to try get a even more of steady bigger cash flow they are probably gonna put those games in the new service day one 

The stats they use are funny. Slide 5: "PS5 sells 80k unit in 82 minutes! Wow, much bigger demand than PS4 with same numbers in 9 days". Guess why that is, I'll give you one try.

12 running live service games by 2025 is very optimistic. Some of them will certainly flop. A success of a live service game like Destiny and a F2P game like Genshin is a rare thing. 

Mobile games. They've tried that strategy before. I don't think they've had much success with it. Nintendo has also been experimenting with mobile market recently. Most of ther games had horrible monetisation. I personally played Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, and it turned into a shit show a few months later. I doubt Sony won't fall into the same trap, but we'll see. At the end of the day, you can just pretend the mobile projects don't exist and keep playing console games, which they're not abandoning yet.

Edited by Slava

11 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

I understand where you're coming from, I do, but you can't expect anything from any business, especially so from a massive corporation.

PlayStation doesn't need to do more for anyone because they're the dominant market leader, and have been for the past decade. Demand for their product could not be any higher as it is, so they really have no incentive to do anything out of their way for gamers. This is also why you see them doing some brazen things of late this generation, because they're testing the waters to see how far they can push certain things, and they're allowed to do so because it'll ultimately have no effect on their bottom line because again, they're the market leader. This is also why you see Microsoft trying their hardest to appear as pro-consumer (lol) as possible with a lot of their (money losing) initiatives. They need to appear as the good guy to try and claw back as much market share as possible, but make no mistake, if MS were the ones on top you would absolutely see them doing everything that Sony is doing too, and more. Remember when MS tried to double the price of Xbox Live Gold overnight to force people into Game Pass? Point being is that no corporation has your back. They will all try to get away with what they can. PlayStation are the top dog so you will see this kind of thing more from them than anyone else, but they're all the same at the end of the day.

oh I know and never understood why no one thinks of the being more good to stay as the top dog like to keep that top dog state trying to be more nice to their customers. Like I remember when not only when Microsoft done that like you said with doubling the price but also wanted to do the always online as well with the konnect as well.

I know I am kind of rambling but I wish more corporations saw that there is more money to be made if they treated their customers like people then just walking money signs.

Not happy about the news whatsoever. 

Just take me back to the early - mid 2000s during the ‘Golden Era’ of gaming so I can game in peace without interruption. 

Live service. NFTs. F2P becoming more prominent. All things I want to get away from. 

• Like 2

On 5/26/2022 at 5:59 PM, SegaJAM said:

Jim Ryan is British

SIE was moved to California because Sony realized that the majority of their sales came from North America and moving the department to the US made it easier for them to coordinate in their largest market

"Alienate Japanese devs" Japan is not the largest gaming market anymore, hasn't been for some time and the only "stringent" requirement SIE placed on Japanese developers was to correspond in english

The censorship policy is in line with the Sony CEO in TOKYO and Sony are hardly the only ones establishing such guidelines, Microsoft and Valve are as well.

Not saying Sony hasn't been making missteps but these are projections I see too often and they bug me

Edited by majob
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, majob said:

"Alienate Japanese devs" Japan is not the largest gaming market anymore, hasn't been for some time and the only "stringent" requirement SIE placed on Japanese developers was to correspond in english

There’s that censorship thread that highlights many Japanese titles not making it to Sony platforms. 

Sony hasn’t felt like a Japanese company and it’s been this way for quite some time. 

Don’t quote me on this, but I heard someone say Nintendo is now more appealing to Japanese devs, although there is only so much you can do with the Switch given the vastly underpowered specs. 

I honestly don’t care about a lot of these modern games that try to look photorealistic in 4K resolution and 60 frames-per-second. 

21 minutes ago, majob said:

Not much success? Fate Grand Order wasn't much success huh?

Was it made by Sony?

Everything stated in my post is in relation to Sony (until the Nintendo part). 

What comes to my mind when I think about PlayStation mobile games is titles like Uncharted: Fortune Hunter and Run Sackboy! Run!