NMErickson

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 3v4 multiplayer game from Gun Media (2023)

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

TCM-Orig-compressed.md.jpg

vs1-orig.th.png

Vict-Orig-compressed.md.jpg

 

 

Who will survive and what will be left of them? Now we will be able to determine that ourselves when The Texas Chainsaw Massacre hits the PS5 at a later date. TCM is a 3v4 asymmetrical multiplayer horror game being developed by Sumo Digital (Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Team Sonic Racing, Crackdown 3) and published by Gun Media, the creators of Friday the 13th: The Game. They are painstakingly recreating locations and characters to make an authentic gaming experience based on the groundbreaking and iconic 1974 film. The family of killers in this game go by the name of the Slaughter family. The three antagonists are The Cook (Drayton Sawyer), The Hitchhiker (Nubbins Sawyer), and the star of the show, Leatherface! They each have specific jobs and roles to play while hunting down a group of "Victims". To read more about the cast of victims at the official website, click here. The focus is on telling original stories with original victims that takes place in the months leading up to the events of the 1974 film but they said anything is possible for DLC, including canon characters, down the road. So far, it's been confirmed that Edwin Neal will be reprising his role as the Hitchhiker in a voiceover capacity and other voice actors will be confirmed later. Horror legend Kane Hodder will be doing motion capture!

 

As they are going for an authentic experience, they said there will be no "Hero" characters in this game like Tommy Jarvis was in Friday the 13th: The Game. Furthermore, they said you can not kill the killers. There’s not going to be a huge combat system where you team up on Leatherface. This is strictly about survival. There are little ways to defend yourself, but you won’t be grabbing a baseball bat and trying to attack Leatherface. The developer said "You think about the characters in the original movie, they’d never been in anything like that before in their life. They were normal people who were thrown into this super traumatic, horrifying experience, so they’re not equipped to fight back, really. They’re not equipped to defend themselves. They’ve never seen anything like this. We wanted to make sure we played into that as well". Sounds like a good ol' slasher flick then.

 

So far we have an official trailer, a mind blowing game vs. film comparison video, and three maps revealed. The three maps are of The Family House, The Gas Station (a popular place to visit for TCM fans nowadays), and The Slaughterhouse. Check them all out below and the maps will be in the spoiler tag due to the format/size.

 

 

 

The maps:

Spoiler

 

 

 

 

 

Simply, I can not wait for this game. The original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre film is my all-time favorite horror and I am one of the biggest fans of the franchise you'll find. Yes, it's a bummer there's not a single player mode or story and these asymmetrical multiplayer games are very divisive among gamers. But as a fan, I can not be more happy with the care and effort they are putting into making this as close to the film as possible! I did enjoy the Friday the 13th game and from what I hear, the new Evil Dead game was successful, is fun, and reviewed well so when done right, asymmetrical games can be great. Especially if the source material is down your alley. I hope for a similar result with TCM. Now that we have seen and heard more about the game in recent days, it's become one of my most anticipated titles.

 

Ok, bye

See the source image

 

 

This game and many more featured in the Big Ol’ List of Upcoming Horror Games right here on PSNProfiles!

 

Edited by NMErickson
2023 release date in title
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been following this since the announcement last year and I'm super hyped! I've had Evil Dead since launch and haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I love asymmetric games like Friday the 13th and Predator Hunting Grounds.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have such good artwork and trailers every time. Hopefully this game turns out better than F13.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No offence to these guys or anything, but after how bad they dropped the ball with F13, how can any faith be put into this...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

No offence to these guys or anything, but after how bad they dropped the ball with F13, how can any faith be put into this...

This is exactly what I was thinking, F13 was absolutely awful. I'm still interested in TCM but it's going to be a long wait after release before I even think of buying it. Thankfully Evil Dead is damn near perfection for the genre, I'm in love with it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be keeping an eye on this one as a massive fan of the original Tobe Hooper film.

I also enjoyed the F13 game. It had a weird kind of charm about it, yeah it was mega janky but it was still fun and it nailed the atmosphere of the films. Hoping for more of the same but tighter gameplay mechanics.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm super excited for this. I'm not sure what all this talk about Friday the 13th being bad is, I loved that game and spent HUNDREDS of hours in it with friends.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, MarcusPunisher said:

it's a shame that the damn lawsuit forced to disregard any future update (still salty about Urban Jason).

 

Both sides of the lawsuit said they were fine with gun media continuing support and there was nothing stopping them. But Gun Media was like “Nope, lawsuits still stopping us. Also stopping us from fixing bugs for some reason. Cya!”. It seems like they were just looking for any excuse to bail on it. Which definitely makes me hesitant about anything they’re involved in.

Edited by KingGuy420
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd be nice if we actually got something more story driven from these horror franchises rather than these offset MP games no one really care about. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Viper said:

It'd be nice if we actually got something more story driven from these horror franchises rather than these offset MP games no one really care about. 

I think the 300,000+ tracked players on this site for Friday the 13th would disagree with you.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

I think the 300,000+ tracked players on this site for Friday the 13th would disagree with you.

Semantics.

Edited by Viper
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

 

Both sides of the lawsuit said they were fine with gun media continuing support and there was nothing stopping them. But Gun Media was like “Nope, lawsuits still stopping us. Also stopping us from fixing bugs for some reason. Cya!”. It seems like they were just looking for any excuse to bail on it. Which definitely makes me hesitant about anything they’re involved in.

Can you provide me with anything that supports that, cause for a while, I've seen the exact opposite. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, MarcusPunisher said:

Can you provide me with anything that supports that, cause for a while, I've seen the exact opposite. 

This is true. They supported and updated it for 4 years. New content wasn’t allowed after a little over a year due to the legal rights battle but they still updated the game and fixed bugs up until the final update in May of last year. Peer to peer matchmaking is still online and remains an option.

 

I too would like to know where that person’s claim of Gun being able to add whatever they want but refuse to comes from. I won’t say anything more on this though, don’t want to derail it too much.

Edited by NMErickson
4 years
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, MarcusPunisher said:

Can you provide me with anything that supports that, cause for a while, I've seen the exact opposite. 

 

I can't find the interview I saw so maybe I am wrong... but if they weren't looking to cut and run, why would they end development when the lawsuit just stopped the use of official stuff? The lawsuit wouldn't stop them from developing bug fixes, or force them to shut down servers. It wouldn't stop then from making new perks or clothes or game mechanics. There's a million things they still could've done if they weren't looking for an easy out.

Edited by KingGuy420
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excited for this. I'm still putting hours into F13, so this should be good if they manages to capture the essence of Texas Chainsaw as well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

 

I can't find the interview I saw so maybe I am wrong... but if they weren't looking to cut and run, why would they end development when the lawsuit just stopped the use of official stuff? The lawsuit wouldn't stop them from developing bug fixes, or force them to shut down servers. It wouldn't stop then from making new perks or clothes or game mechanics. There's a million things they still could've done if they weren't looking for an easy out.

They still were doing bug fixes but that was it. Everything else becomes owned by the F13 IP holder. With the inability to make new content, they didn't have the funds to keep dedicated servers up. They did have time to put out one last batch of content but they wasted that time on a bug fix patch.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DOA. Dead by daylight has this kinda genre on lock.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ziggypossum said:

 

Finally some gameplay action. I noticed a survivor hit a switch to open a door for another survivor (only to find Leatherface waiting for them). No footage of survivors fighting back and only hiding so I hope to learn more.

 

I'm curious as to what powers each villian has. The hitch hiker got skinny to walk sideways through narrow areas which makes me think he can go into the walls to hunt/track down. The cook is standing there holding his ear which makes me think his ability is super hearing to try to find survivors like a listen mode. I also saw him lock a door. Leatherface's ability is to probably break down or saw through locked doors....this is looking pretty cool. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, trojbrown40 said:

Finally some gameplay action. I noticed a survivor hit a switch to open a door for another survivor (only to find Leatherface waiting for them). No footage of survivors fighting back and only hiding so I hope to learn more.

 

I'm curious as to what powers each villian has. The hitch hiker got skinny to walk sideways through narrow areas which makes me think he can go into the walls to hunt/track down. The cook is standing there holding his ear which makes me think his ability is super hearing to try to find survivors like a listen mode. I also saw him lock a door. Leatherface's ability is to probably break down or saw through locked doors....this is looking pretty cool. 

Good takes there. I could see that. It’s an interesting dynamic they have here with the cook and the hitchhiker being in a support role and essentially tagging the survivors. Maybe they can soften them up too until Leatherface gets them. We know the villains can’t be killed so Leatherface will eventually have a chance to take everyone out if the team is cohesive and plays it right. It’s all just speculation here but that’s part of the fun :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Uncut and unrated version of the trailer.

We finally see some violence and kills.

 

Edited by NMErickson
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a shame it comes out in 2023... I thought it will be 2022 :( Cannot wait honestly!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.